Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think they turn out hard. they have for the last couple elections since. i am pretty sure they will now.

We have a million data points showing Trump is toxic with independents and he needs them but he gets a pass in the doomerism. Meanwhile we're still stuck on single outlier polls claiming Biden is going to lose 500% of the Black vote and 600% of Hispanic voters. It is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

I am watching the Rifftrax of Rollergator and that brief is still the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shammypants posted:

St. Pete's has 12% undecided, Emerson has 10% undecided, Big Village has 10.5% undecided and so on. Among independents they are sometimes tied (red states) and in every competitive state Biden leads. The effects are felt and the polls are whatever.

Yeah, but if someone is still "undecided" after four years of President Trump, Jan 6th, four years of MAGA mania, and Trump's new campaign persona as the Great Christian Hope, are convictions really going to move the needle for those people?

The polls suggest that they will, but while I'm usually a fan of relying on hard data like polls, I do think this runs into a weak point of polls: an inability to fully account for cognitive dissonance.

When the COVID vaccines were first going around, polls and studies suggested that a substantial factor driving antivaxxers was the nature of the FDA's emergency use authorization, and that many of them would give in and take the vaccine if it had gone through the full approval process rather than an expedited emergency process. As a result, some believed the EUAs to be a significant contributor to vaccination reluctance, and expected that full approval would spike vaccination rates. But when the COVID vaccines did get through the full approval process and the EUA was withdrawn, it barely made an impact on vaccination rates. All those people who had told pollsters that they would get vaxxed if the vaccine went through the full process? In practice, they just found reasons to declare that this particular instance of going through the process didn't count for some reason.

I think the parallels to Trump are pretty clear here. If someone's sitting here in 2024 saying they're just not sure if Trump did any crimes or not, then I suspect they're not actually going to let the courts be the final arbiter either. They'll just shift from "I'm not sure if the press or the prosecutors are telling the truth about these alleged crimes" to "I'm not sure if the press or the prosecutors or the judge or the jury are telling the truth about these alleged crimes". They'll find excuses to distrust the judicial process, just as they've found excuses to distrust all the evidence that's come out up to this point, and they'll rationalize that the convictions that happen actually don't really count for some reason.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Tesseraction posted:

Sword of Dumbocles

Is this the sword the thread title is about?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, but if someone is still "undecided" after four years of President Trump, Jan 6th, four years of MAGA mania, and Trump's new campaign persona as the Great Christian Hope, are convictions really going to move the needle for those people?

The polls suggest that they will, but while I'm usually a fan of relying on hard data like polls, I do think this runs into a weak point of polls: an inability to fully account for cognitive dissonance.

When the COVID vaccines were first going around, polls and studies suggested that a substantial factor driving antivaxxers was the nature of the FDA's emergency use authorization, and that many of them would give in and take the vaccine if it had gone through the full approval process rather than an expedited emergency process. As a result, some believed the EUAs to be a significant contributor to vaccination reluctance, and expected that full approval would spike vaccination rates. But when the COVID vaccines did get through the full approval process and the EUA was withdrawn, it barely made an impact on vaccination rates. All those people who had told pollsters that they would get vaxxed if the vaccine went through the full process? In practice, they just found reasons to declare that this particular instance of going through the process didn't count for some reason.

I think the parallels to Trump are pretty clear here. If someone's sitting here in 2024 saying they're just not sure if Trump did any crimes or not, then I suspect they're not actually going to let the courts be the final arbiter either. They'll just shift from "I'm not sure if the press or the prosecutors are telling the truth about these alleged crimes" to "I'm not sure if the press or the prosecutors or the judge or the jury are telling the truth about these alleged crimes". They'll find excuses to distrust the judicial process, just as they've found excuses to distrust all the evidence that's come out up to this point, and they'll rationalize that the convictions that happen actually don't really count for some reason.

On the flip side, what did affect vaccination rates was lots of people getting it and having no ill effects.

There's a hard 10-15% that will never be convinced for vaccines, but there was a squishy middle that could be swayed even if it wasn't by logic, reason, evidence, or science.

How this compares to trump voters I'm not sure

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nervous posted:

Is this the sword the thread title is about?

Nah, it’s this one : https://youtu.be/LGzc0pIjHqw?si=gNVtDd_94JlcCz0x

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

A lot of undecided voters are so checked out of politics they don't even know this is going to be a rematch of 2020 with Trump back on the ballot. Remember as of a month ago one third of voters, including nearly half of Democratic voters, still don't think Trump will be the nominee (or think he'll be replaced by November). As election day approaches the waveform will collapse and people will have to admit that is actually the case and/or realize that he's actually running again.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Hell, you can follow politics and not be convinced Trump will be the nominee. I'm open to an unlikely-but-possible chance (call it 10%, based on nothing more than gut feeling) that the dam in one of these trials breaks in such a way that Trump unable to campaign and he gets replaced on an emergency basis. Granted, the other 90% is no questions Trump is the nominee.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's also plausible, but not entirely likely he just keels over. Same with Biden, mind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

does anyone have a link to this filing that isn't a direct link to the new york state docket

the new york state docket does not appear to have been designed with the amount of people hitting it at once and has keeled over and died for me, and i would very much like to read this

edit: nevermind, finally loaded. lol it's 4,919 pages, no wonder the docket choked and died

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 18, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's also plausible, but not entirely likely he just keels over. Same with Biden, mind.

Them dying of simultaneous heart attacks at the first debate would break so many brains. It must happen.

Fetch the Havana Syndrome gun we've got a timeline to destroy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

I think you're probably correct here BUT there's a caveat. The consistent pattern we've seen over the past eight years is that every time Trump hits a new new low, his polling drops by about five percent for a week or two then rebounds to baseline. There's pretty good odds that "actual convictions" will cause dips like that.

I don't think they'll change anyone's mind but if he can't do rallies because he has to be in court that might help depress his turnout. If he's convicted in October it might sway the race.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The consistent pattern we've seen over the past eight years is that every time Trump hits a new new low, his polling drops by about five percent for a week or two then rebounds to baseline.

We call this phenomenon Anglosphere Apathetic Amnesia. The voters lack object permanence.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like Trump might've had an offer for the bond but rejected it? Don't have time to dig into it now, linked below:

https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedman.com/post/3kny3bbedqz2l

That would kind of ruin their "it's literally impossible :qq:" line of defense in that case

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Times is reporting that Trump hit up 30 companies to get the half billion he needs, and had no takers. A bit too busy to read it, but lol if true

Caros
May 14, 2008

evilweasel posted:

does anyone have a link to this filing that isn't a direct link to the new york state docket

the new york state docket does not appear to have been designed with the amount of people hitting it at once and has keeled over and died for me, and i would very much like to read this

edit: nevermind, finally loaded. lol it's 4,919 pages, no wonder the docket choked and died

I started downloading on my phone and became very confused at the slow download speed until I saw it was 330 megs of text.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like Trump might've had an offer for the bond but rejected it? Don't have time to dig into it now, linked below:

https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedman.com/post/3kny3bbedqz2l

That would kind of ruin their "it's literally impossible :qq:" line of defense in that case

it says their negotiations with chubb collapsed when chubb would not take real estate as collateral. i suspect what it was is they wouldn't take only real estate as collateral.

quote:

While Defendants had been actively negotiating a bond collateralized by both liquid
assets and real property with Chubb, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, within
the past week, Chubb notified Defendants that it could not accept real property as collateral.
Though disappointing, this decision was not surprising given that Chubb was the only surety
willing to even consider accepting real estate as collateral.

i also suspect everyone insisted on Trump posting a personal guarantee and he refused.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 18, 2024

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

5000 pages to say Trump doesn't have $500,000,000? That's funny.

Tesseraction posted:

Them dying of simultaneous heart attacks at the first debate would break so many brains. It must happen.

I'm becoming very, very doubtful that Trump agrees to debate Biden. Trump himself may want to, but I think those around him will be canny enough to convince him the debate is bad or--worse--disrespectful to him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How do you write 5000 pages on anything :psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How do you write 5000 pages on anything :psyduck:

about 4,800 pages are exhibits. it's something like 30 pages of legal argument, 20 pages of declarations (i.e. written testimony under oath), and the remainder every single document they thought might possibly be relevant. last time this included like 30 different articles from ludicrously right-wing nonsense websites.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How many of them are worthwhile exhibits?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

How many of them are worthwhile exhibits?

none are obviously irrelevant looking at the names (pages 54-58 of the pdf). mostly transcripts of the trial, financial documents, etc. nothing obviously insulting to the intelligence of the court, like last time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The filing won’t pull up for me, what is trump requesting here? More time or a waiver for the bond?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If real estate isn't appreciable collateral for the bond, then what is, at least where Trump is concerned?

I don't think Trump would have half a billion in baubles and gold plated toilets. Does he have investments or bonds? Ips he gets royalties on?

I can't think of anything Trump has (or has lied about having) that could be used for the bond beyond his properties.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

No-one is concerned with people positively voting for Trump, it's about finding people who are morons like that Ken Bone freak from 2016 who is a floating voter. Despite it being dumb as poo poo to ever contemplate voting GOP, these loving farm animals still hum and moo until election day, and those hoofed doofuses are affected by things like Trump having to slink in and out of court, so this Sword of Dumbocles is useful in that regard.

I hope you're right but Ken Bone as an example is especially noteworthy because despite all of his whining about not having quality candidates or whatever, he famously stayed on Twitter for a while, quickly revealed that he's just a Republican and always votes Republican, and has had several meltdowns quitting Twitter when people call him out for pretending to be a moderate.

There are gettable people out there of course, but I think that number is a lot smaller than people believe.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Go go Leticia James repo machine!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Donkringel posted:

If real estate isn't appreciable collateral for the bond, then what is, at least where Trump is concerned?

I don't think Trump would have half a billion in baubles and gold plated toilets. Does he have investments or bonds? Ips he gets royalties on?

I can't think of anything Trump has (or has lied about having) that could be used for the bond beyond his properties.

Pretty sure that's the nut Trump is trying to crack and not getting anywhere with. Why would anyone take his real estate as bond collateral for a fraud trial where he was very publicly and thoroughly shown to be wildly misrepresenting the value of his real estate? Like smart lawyers, other people are demanding Donnie put cash up front and somewhere he can't control it before they believe him on anything.

At least that sounds sane. So there is a small part of me that is awaiting for the post-escalator hellworld insanity to re-establish itself and we find out there was a billionaire oligarch somewhere willing to hand Chubb a bag of cash to cover it because gently caress it why not go full Tom Clancy, but Donnie got served the wrong brand of water bottle at a meeting and threw a hissy fit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fool of sound posted:

The filing won’t pull up for me, what is trump requesting here? More time or a waiver for the bond?

he is requesting an "unsecured" stay of judgment, i.e. allow him to block enforcement of the judgment without putting up the required surety bond. he is not requesting more time, as his argument is the bond is impossible to get.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Maybe Chubb wanted the Trump brand too and that's why Donnie objected. Didn't want to go back to being a Drumpf.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Tesseraction posted:

that Ken Bone freak from 2016 who is a floating voter.

Best way to attract the beautiful human submarines.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm also genuinely befuddled by the idea that trials are going to hurt his support. People who still support Trump right now will not fall away because of trials. Everybody knows who and what he is by now he's been screaming it six inches from everyone's face for almost decade now. He will not ever shut the gently caress up about who and what he is, he cannot as a narcissist. Anybody still wearing a red hat and putting hog-tied Biden decals on their lifted F-150 knows exactly what they're getting out of the parasocial relationship they've developed and they'll keep right on doing it through every indictment until the heat death of the universe. The trials just do not apply to his base in the way people are attempting to apply them. You may as well put forth the idea that orange sherbert makes a wonderful nuclear fuel.

Everything in your post is true, but he can't win with just his base; they're maybe 50% of Republican voters.

What remains unknown is how many of the other 50% that he'll require to win will come home to a GOP with no funding, no ideas, no platform besides a wanna-be dictator with 88-indictments hanging over his head. And that's if he isn't convicted in the Stormy Daniels case.

Clear_Blue posted:

Yeah, Republican-leaning voters will think on November 5th: I really don't like Trump, he's a criminal, rapist, convicted felon and outright destable human being. But if the alternative is a Democrat in the White House, well here's my vote Donald!

Some will; but enough? No.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

evilweasel posted:

it says their negotiations with chubb collapsed when chubb would not take real estate as collateral. i suspect what it was is they wouldn't take only real estate as collateral.

quote:

While Defendants had been actively negotiating a bond collateralized by both liquid
assets and real property with Chubb, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, within
the past week, Chubb notified Defendants that it could not accept real property as collateral.
Though disappointing, this decision was not surprising given that Chubb was the only surety
willing to even consider accepting real estate as collateral.

i also suspect everyone insisted on Trump posting a personal guarantee and he refused.

What’s the difference between real estate and real property in this quote?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Main Paineframe posted:

A lot of the time we make a decision based on gut feeling then justify it with the facts that would justify it. Someone doesn’t want the vaccine, so they find reasons that makes sense (emergency auth or whatever.) Once that reason goes away they just find a new one because the original one was never the real reason. They must mentally push the goalposts back further and further.

Edit: there’s an argument that is pretty niche and maybe even fringe that all decision making is done this way, and that the part of the brain that justifies a decision always acts after the part of the brain that actually makes it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

evilweasel posted:

he is requesting an "unsecured" stay of judgment, i.e. allow him to block enforcement of the judgment without putting up the required surety bond. he is not requesting more time, as his argument is the bond is impossible to get.

As I am not a lawyer, is this as ridiculous as it sounds? Do they have any legal basis to the argument? Not sure there are any cases out there where the response to "I can't post bond" is "oh OK well then we'll just ignore the legal consequences of you not being able to do that."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Murgos posted:

What’s the difference between real estate and real property in this quote?

basically none.

Gyrotica posted:

As I am not a lawyer, is this as ridiculous as it sounds? Do they have any legal basis to the argument? Not sure there are any cases out there where the response to "I can't post bond" is "oh OK well then we'll just ignore the legal consequences of you not being able to do that."

it's not insane. posting a bond gets you an automatic stay. the question is can a court grant a stay anyway (in other jurisdictions, often yes) and if it can, should it under these circumstances. i am not familiar enough with New York state law on judgments to know how strong their arguments the appeals court has the authority to grant a stay anyway. their arguments on why it should seem mostly bad (the decision is so terrible!) and only a couple that at least address points that could be relevant (such as it's not like he can flee with real estate, and if he tries to sell it people will notice, so it's effectively collateral anyway)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Gyrotica posted:

and only a couple that at least address points that could be relevant (such as it's not like he can flee with real estate, and if he tries to sell it people will notice, so it's effectively collateral anyway)

But given that his crimes include misrepresenting the value of his real estate, I don't think it's worth much. If the insurers won't use it as collateral, then there's a reason for that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fart Amplifier posted:

But given that his crimes include misrepresenting the value of his real estate, I don't think it's worth much. If the insurers won't use it as collateral, then there's a reason for that.

It's in the bsky post. Underwriters aren't set up to operate or manage large commercial properties, and selling the property immediately carries the risk of not getting the full amount they're owed. So real estate is worthless to them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fart Amplifier posted:

Seems from the filing that at least one underwriter offered a package that involved real estate as collateral, but Trump rejected that deal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rust Martialis posted:

Best way to attract the beautiful human submarines.

:golfclap:

I just can't dislike Ken Bone. Let your freak flag fly, man. Or float? Sink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

mdemone posted:

Seems from the filing that at least one underwriter offered a package that involved real estate as collateral, but Trump rejected that deal.

Calling it now, he rejected it because he was butthurt by their insultingly low valuations.