Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

WrasslorMonkey posted:

This story was proven FALSE as only WOKES get sad

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1769524488012538001

Still funny to me that the easiest way to trip up people screaming about wokeism is to just ask them to define it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TSLA has been down every month for 18 months now. Elon needs to leave our world.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WrasslorMonkey posted:

This story was proven FALSE as only WOKES get sad

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1769524488012538001

it's because they can't laugh at jokes anymore

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nonsense posted:

TSLA has been down every month for 18 months now. Elon needs to leave our world.

Tell it to Earth

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.accuweather.com/en/travel/united-airlines-flight-discovered-to-be-missing-external-panel-after-landing-safely-in-oregon/1632212

quote:

(CNN) — A United Airlines flight was discovered to be missing an external panel on the aircraft after it landed in Medford, Oregon, Friday afternoon after taking off from San Francisco, California, according to the airline.

The plane carrying 145 passengers and crew landed safely and was parked at the gate at Rogue Valley International Medford Airport when a person on the ground first noticed the panel was missing, United Airlines said in a statement.

The crew of Flight 433 did not declare an emergency and there was no indication of the damage during the flight, the airline said.
The aircraft is a Boeing 737-800, according to United. It is a previous generation and not the newer 737 Max aircraft recently making headlines.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

it's because they can't laugh at jokes anymore

:elon:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1769744820833001866?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

401k's are about to take a bath though

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nonsense posted:

That's not how you launder money.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what kind of annual retirement can you get from a 1,000,000 401k. like 80k a year ?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nonsense posted:

401ks drowning right in the middle of boomer retirement is pretty loving funny

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Taima posted:

Literally everyone should be eating a fiber supplement like psyllium husk.

I will die on this hill. Please take psyillium husk, everyone

Fiber that isn't digested by your stomach goes on to nourish gut bacteria. Seriously, go start taking psyllium husk and then PM me in 3 months when your life noticeably improves.

chia seeds are good for this with the added benefit of having omega-3 acids

also they turn into gel when combined with any kind of liquid so you can use them to make stuff

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

what's going to happen with 401ks

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I feel like someone told them to phrase the headlines better to not hurt boeing stock

"SAFELY LANDED: Plane is discovered to be missing a panel"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Taima posted:

Literally everyone should be eating a fiber supplement like psyllium husk.

I will die on this hill. Please take psyillium husk, everyone

Fiber that isn't digested by your stomach goes on to nourish gut bacteria. Seriously, go start taking psyllium husk and then PM me in 3 months when your life noticeably improves.

no

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

lol @ boeing parts falling from the sky so often its getting reported as weather

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

thalweg posted:

what's going to happen with 401ks

Gains are tied to market performance like regular ol' mutual funds. If the market poo poo itself, so long retirement income. In most cases, you can wait out recessions and come out ok on the other end, but of you need that money to eat and pay condo fees in the short term it's a problem.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I'm surprised that there are any millennials with 401ks over a million. The oldest millennials have been in the workforce for about 20 years so even if someone had hit the contributions max for every single year they'd been in the workforce they still wouldn't have reached a million yet. So you'd have to both been able to max out contributions ever since your first job but also have made some extraordinarily lucky investment decisions.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I feel like someone told them to phrase the headlines better to not hurt boeing stock

"SAFELY LANDED: Plane is discovered to be missing a panel"

plane_armor_survivorship_bias.jpg

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nonsense posted:

depends on your definition of 'about to', i guess

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Thoguh posted:

I'm surprised that there are any millennials with 401ks over a million. The oldest millennials have been in the workforce for about 20 years so even if someone had hit the contributions max for every single year they'd been in the workforce they still wouldn't have reached a million yet. So you'd have to both been able to max out contributions ever since your first job but also have made some extraordinarily lucky investment decisions.

it seems like you could do that if you're a top 1% earner and you maxed the employee + employer contribution

50k / yr (yes the cap was lower than this in the 2000s but has been higher for a decade) * 20 years plus capital gains

there's your 0.8% of fidelity millionaires

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

the milk machine posted:

it seems like you could do that if you're a top 1% earner and you maxed the employee + employer contribution

50k / yr (yes the cap was lower than this in the 2000s but has been higher for a decade) * 20 years plus capital gains

there's your 0.8% of fidelity millionaires

lmao this made me actually look up how much employers can contribute and lol I didn't realize that with the employer match if your employer pumps it up to the full amount you can put up to 3 times the individual maximum. For 2024 the individual max is $23k but your employer can add another $46k to that. I thought it was just 1x not 2x.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

401ks drowning right in the middle of boomer retirement is pretty loving funny

walmart greeter jobs going up!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

if you didn't have a career until you were into your thirties, you'll have missed out on a whole bunch of growth too.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/010616/whats-average-401k-balance-age.asp

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just started a 401k this year. fully expecting it to get wiped the gently caress out.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

when romney ran for president he had over $100 million just in his IRA.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/whats-really-going-on-with-mitt-romneys-102-million-ira/261500/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Mortgage applications rose in February lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I do not have a 401k because I am not a capitalist

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

he's a vulture though

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:siren:

https://twitter.com/MrMBrown/status/1769771628320145416

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RadiRoot posted:

just started a 401k this year. fully expecting it to get wiped the gently caress out.

you'll be a billionaire in 40 years, good job

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JamesKPolk posted:

lol @ boeing parts falling from the sky so often its getting reported as weather

Cloudy with a chance of passengers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

lmao

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Rent will be 2 billion though.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

skooma512 posted:

🎶 It's raining men! 🎶

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

skooma512 posted:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I do not have a 401k because I am not a capitalist
must be nice having a pension. or is your plan to just eat a bullet?

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Mar 18, 2024

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

you'll be a billionaire in 40 years, good job

thank you. youre all invited to the diamond studded celebration when i leave the workforce.