Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Amuro is the Mario of the franchise. He's too obvious a choice. You have to be cool and vote for Luigi instead, or Waluigi if you really want to feel like you're different.

Amuro got second place in the big Japan poll, for whatever that's worth. (Well, third place if you count each appearance separately, but Orga got first there, and that's a long tangent.)

Another thing about Amuro, though, is that (and I mean this as a compliment for one of my favorite Gundam characters) he kind of sucks at first, and that's the point. He's pigheaded, arrogant, terrified, unsure, and very, very failable. The show wants you to like Amuro, and it works for it, but it wants you to believe in him as a person much more, and as a person who has a lot of growing to do.

It's part of why CCA Amuro got more votes, I think. Amuro grows across the shows, and by the end he's believable as the classical hero, the ultimate badass who still has a good heart and an understanding of his limits. But he's interesting as the big hero because we see him start so far from that... but it also makes him frustrating for people who aren't willing to invest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was scrolling reddit and someone said that 2045 CE is the year that the space colonies began construction in the UC timeline before the new calendar was established. Anyone know where this number actually comes from? I always thought the UC was supposed to be further into the future. Far enough to be a nebulous "future" setting while still retaining familiarity with the present.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 18, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a couple side things that give different dates for the beginning of the UC, there's at least one that plants the beginning of the UC in 1969 with the moon landing, but officially there is no concrete last year of the AD calendar.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
There will be no Christmas in Side 6 this year, Bernie Wiseman has been gunned down by Haro!

Garma Zabi can blame the misfortune of his birth, because he’s officially lost to Elpeo Ple!

Now for today’s matchups!
It’s The Face-To-Face on the White Base as Bright Noa goes up against Sayla Mass!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1769710366420857335

Will Four Murasame become a new person as she pilots the Psycho Gundam? Or will May… do whatever the hell they do in Re:Rise?
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1769710387409080399

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What they do in Re Rise isn't that complicated; they Re Rise.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arc Hammer posted:

Was scrolling reddit and someone said that 2045 CE is the year that the space colonies began construction in the UC timeline before the new calendar was established. Anyone know where this number actually comes from? I always thought the UC was supposed to be further into the future. Far enough to be a nebulous "future" setting while still retaining familiarity with the present.
69 years after O’Neills book with the clear visual inspiration for the Sides. Probably seemed plausible at the time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nessus posted:

69 years after O’Neills book with the clear visual inspiration for the Sides. Probably seemed plausible at the time.

Yeah, OG gundam came out ten years after the moon landing and in less than 70 years we went from the wright flyer to the moon. Not exactly wild to think (at the time) that in 70 years we'd be significantly colonizing space.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Caros posted:

Yeah, OG gundam came out ten years after the moon landing and in less than 70 years we went from the wright flyer to the moon. Not exactly wild to think (at the time) that in 70 years we'd be significantly colonizing space.

It’s even wilder from the Japanese perspective, they went from match lock rifles to the Zero in less than a hundred years. Zakus by 2045 was practically a conservative estimate.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Midjack posted:

Witch from Mercury seemed to make the internet based fandom swallow its own neck for some reason.

it’s because it has gays in it front and center so people like zeon apologists get real uppity

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also the new show, which is always bad until there's another new show

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RevolverDivider posted:

it’s because it has gays in it front and center so people like zeon apologists get real uppity

It's partially this but I think it's also a SEED-esque "it's extremely popular and brought in a lot of new fans who haven't been marinating in Gundam for years already so they don't really appreciate the TRUE CLASSICS like me" reaction.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I had to watch lovely gundams so you can't like gundams until you watch lovely gundams and then you get to like the good new one

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm watching the lovely gundams. (The opening of ZZ is dire, oh my god)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bright vs sayla is insanely close. bright's still in the lead by only 9 votes. when i was paying attention to it earlier it was a literal exact tie.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ninjewtsu posted:

bright vs sayla is insanely close. bright's still in the lead by only 9 votes. when i was paying attention to it earlier it was a literal exact tie.

Yeah that one seems like it was gonna be a coinflip, same more or less fanbase, both characters popular and majorly relevant to the story. I figure Bright might have a bit of an edge because he shows up more in the UC but Sayla certainly has some weird waifu contingent out there as well...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm watching the lovely gundams. (The opening of ZZ is dire, oh my god)

Incorrect, ZZ owns

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just MSG I'd give the edge to Sayla, but with Zeta and CCA Brights gotta take it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would rewatch ZZ before most of the other Gundam shows tbh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The opening of ZZ is great because it's a recap episode where Char's voiceover is trying to convince a bunch of children he's a cool guy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Waffleman_ posted:

Incorrect, ZZ owns

:yeah:

I mean, I got some quibbles with it. But it’s a pretty fun show, and the Gundam Team rocks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The opening of ZZ is great because it's a recap episode where Char's voiceover is trying to convince a bunch of children he's a cool guy.

One of the best things in Zeta is how Quattro basically sits backwards in his chair to say to Kamille

"You ever heard of a cool guy... a cool guy named Char Aznable?"

And Kamille goes

"Oh, Char. I know him. He's cool, but also he sucks, right?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also the new show, which is always bad until there's another new show

So Re:Rise was the bad show before now? May is getting beaten by Four.

Gonna be funny when Requiem for Vengeance gets the "new show bad" treatment.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Would say ReRise isn't mainline so it doesn't really get the good or bad of the recency cycle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chiasaur11 posted:

One of the best things in Zeta is how Quattro basically sits backwards in his chair to say to Kamille

"You ever heard of a cool guy... a cool guy named Char Aznable?"

And Kamille goes

"Oh, Char. I know him. He's cool, but also he sucks, right?"
Heard he had an eight pack

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Re:Rise has the anchor of being related to Build Divers around its neck despite it being a really good show.

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 19, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd be shocked if Bright and Sayla weren't neck and neck

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Re:Rise has the anchor of being related to Build Divers around its neck despite it being a really good show.

Re rise took that anchor and used it as a grappling hook to rise even higher

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

Re rise took that anchor and used it as a grappling hook to rise even higher

I fully agree, but it is true that a lot of people never gave the show a second thought because it's the sequel to Divers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the idea of either watching divers or skipping it entirely before watching re rise really bothers some people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1769906726307082738?t=94IuVMmdED29BYV5sL7nTg&s=19

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Raxivace posted:

I would rewatch ZZ before most of the other Gundam shows tbh.

If we're strictly limiting it to UC shows, I'd rewatch ZZ before Victory but after Zeta.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
In order of how much I'd like to rewatch them from most to least: 0079, ZZ, Victory, Zeta. Turn A ahead of 0079 if you want to count it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Between Edgy Unreal Engine Netflix Show and Weird VR Movie Thing I Literally Do Not Have The Means To Watch, Gundam is in a weird place right now lmao

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
At some point Hathaway 2 is coming out, and they'll do another AU in 5 years

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Hathaway 2 and Unicorn 2, which barely exist

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don't forget Thunderbolt 3!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Between Edgy Unreal Engine Netflix Show and Weird VR Movie Thing I Literally Do Not Have The Means To Watch, Gundam is in a weird place right now lmao

Seed Freedom literally just came out. And Urdr hunt is coming at some point this year presumably

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have they said how the Urdr Hunt thing is gonna play out? Is it gonna recycle the existing animations and add stuff in between?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Though he may be a terrible husband, Bright Noa is a great commander and just barely squeaked out a win agains Sayla Mass!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1770070474849919079

With Four Murasame in the cockpit, the Psycho Gundam levels May!

The next round starts tomorrow!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1770073498771132890

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i believe in chuchu.