Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

“What possible connection is there between Arrakis and Salusa Secundus?”

He really was a failed Kwisatz Haderach, wasn't he?

He's obviously playing dumb here tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah I got dunced by the way English language books present dialogue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Because of the Guild's monopoly on interstellar travel, the Sardaukar don't even have to be the best, just better than any House's army. They can mass all their forces to invade one House's home planet, then do it again, without anyone being able to intervene.

Something that I appreciate about the first book is that there's generally an explanation for why the status quo exists and hasn't already been toppled by One Weird Trick. Someone could try to recruit the Fremen, but that would attract attention. The Guild could destroy the imperial system, but they'd wreck the economy that sustains them. Et cetera.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
we've said it several different ways in this thread, but dunc is at its core a farce. a non stop series of self described geniuses and master strategists continually getting it wrong and loving up in very real and far reaching ways, real pig headed boners of gently caress ups.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats just how real international relations are tho, so that's the piercing realism

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bubblyblubber posted:

we've said it several different ways in this thread, but dunc is at its core a farce. a non stop series of self described geniuses and master strategists continually getting it wrong and loving up in very real and far reaching ways, real pig headed boners of gently caress ups.
My favorite part of the book is the appendix where the Bene Gesserit conduct a review of the Arrakis incident and absolutely roast RM Mohiam for being so goddamn stupid, especially where she tests the potential kwisatz haderach, finds that he breaks the human male record for enduring the pain box, and then just shrugs and tosses him to the wolves. The report tries to save face by concluding that there must be some deeper conspiracy at work, because it's impossible to imagine the highest-ranking Reverend Mother - the emperor's own Truthsayer! - could make such a spectacularly obvious blunder.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FMguru posted:

My favorite part of the book is the appendix where the Bene Gesserit conduct a review of the Arrakis incident and absolutely roast RM Mohiam for being so goddamn stupid, especially where she tests the potential kwisatz haderach, finds that he breaks the human male record for enduring the pain box, and then just shrugs and tosses him to the wolves. The report tries to save face by concluding that there must be some deeper conspiracy at work, because it's impossible to imagine the highest-ranking Reverend Mother - the emperor's own Truthsayer! - could make such a spectacularly obvious blunder.

i like the part in the movie where paul tells her to shut up

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FMguru posted:

My favorite part is in Messiah, where Scytale casually drops the fact that the Tleilaxu went and made their own KH a while back. In a lab, not with 10,000 years of painstaking breeding, and the whole idea doesn't work because they go crazy.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

and afterward the film's sole exclamation of Abomination! smh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Probably the part(s) of Dune that can't be translated to film, and shouldn't be, is some of the weird evocative details in the margins. Like the first book's appendix mentions that there are spaceships that connect together and destroy enemy fortifications by just falling on them, but you never see one in action.

(That one could actually work in a movie. Would be neat to see a skyscraper-sized Giger-themed Harkonnen Dr. Wiley castle just fall out of the sky, earthquake knocks everyone to the ground, then doors open and troops start pouring out.)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
There's also an assassination/infiltration aspect to the Sardaukar that isn't explored in 1984/2021 Dunc. They're supposed to be able to blend into any environment, and were known for smuggling weapons all over their body - shigawire garrotes in their hair, stabbing weapons in fake toes, plus their main armament of maula pistols, needle pistols, flip-caps, hunter-seekers, etc.

I honestly cant remember if its spelled out or implied, but I wanna say the dude who drove the hunter-seeker against Paul pre-invasion was a Sardaukar in Harkonnen uniform?

Halloween Jack posted:

Because of the Guild's monopoly on interstellar travel, the Sardaukar don't even have to be the best, just better than any House's army. They can mass all their forces to invade one House's home planet, then do it again, without anyone being able to intervene.

Something that I appreciate about the first book is that there's generally an explanation for why the status quo exists and hasn't already been toppled by One Weird Trick. Someone could try to recruit the Fremen, but that would attract attention. The Guild could destroy the imperial system, but they'd wreck the economy that sustains them. Et cetera.

Also 'Beast' Rabban and Leto I are the only people who think there's a lot of Fremen. The Fremen had been paying off the Navigator's Guild to hide their numbers for centuries. In retrospect it seems like everyone in the book was blinded by their preconceptions

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like that Rabban wasn't totally clueless, but wasn't smart enough to grasp his predicament and do anything about it.

In retrospect, the most accurate part of Dune is semuta. Herbert predicted that drugs and techno music would go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
my favourite part of dunc is when denis villeneuve made the two movies

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Was there a scene in the new film with semuta music? I seem to recall maybe one of the Harkonnen lackeys in Feyd's introduction playing some instrument. I think there was also a brief shot elsewhere in the movie of someone loading a maula pistol, too. Neat little nods to small details in the book.

Someone in a different thread pointed out that the treatment of Jessica - as weak, and then as almost a villain after she drinks the water of life - was kind of sloppy, and I sort of agree. I think it was a clever way to alter the book material (FWIR) and invoke the idea of plans within plans, but I think it could have been done better. Actually, now that I think about it, it's pretty clearly a setup for part 3/Messiah, Alia is literally speaking through her. I think this is also why the ending felt a little flat and anticlimactic - it's because we know we're getting part 3. Paul choosing Irulan (and not explaining why) and Chani literally storming off mad because of it was a weird choice, but it makes sense if we know there's more story coming.

I wonder who will get the Big Bad villain treatment in part 3. The treatment and acting of Feyd and the Baron will be hard to top.

While I'm here, I have a question: So the Bene Gesserit are 'sowing prophecy' on multiple planets, presumably in the service of their breeding program (or is this more just a general means of control?). Does this mean they've made the connection, that the Fremen's Lisan al-Gaib will certainly also be their Kwisatz Haderach? It's obviously explained (directly to Paul) that they think he might be the KH, does Jessica start seeing the Fremen worship of him and put two and two together herself?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ted chiang is as good a writer as villaneuve is a moviemaker. i can't colorably say that about frank herbert

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Halloween Jack posted:

Probably the part(s) of Dune that can't be translated to film, and shouldn't be, is some of the weird evocative details in the margins. Like the first book's appendix mentions that there are spaceships that connect together and destroy enemy fortifications by just falling on them, but you never see one in action.

(That one could actually work in a movie. Would be neat to see a skyscraper-sized Giger-themed Harkonnen Dr. Wiley castle just fall out of the sky, earthquake knocks everyone to the ground, then doors open and troops start pouring out.)

That was like in the Chronicles of Riddick where the necromongers (best name) just drop giant spikes with troops inside to pile out of. Seemed extremely effective!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mister Speaker posted:

While I'm here, I have a question: So the Bene Gesserit are 'sowing prophecy' on multiple planets, presumably in the service of their breeding program (or is this more just a general means of control?). Does this mean they've made the connection, that the Fremen's Lisan al-Gaib will certainly also be their Kwisatz Haderach? It's obviously explained (directly to Paul) that they think he might be the KH, does Jessica start seeing the Fremen worship of him and put two and two together herself?

No. The Missionaria Protectiva is a toolkit to make it easier for local BG to do whatever it is they're there to do by providing them with a local myth-cycle to take advantage of. It doesn't have anything specifically to do with the KH program in general, and when Jessica sees which particular myth-cycle they've inculcated on Arrakis she's taken aback because it means the planet must be a really awful place to survive.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E6AcXUKSVA

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

That was like in the Chronicles of Riddick where the necromongers (best name) just drop giant spikes with troops inside to pile out of. Seemed extremely effective!

Chronicles of Riddick is an absolute banger of space opera science fiction

The set/costume design is :discourse:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Was there a scene in the new film with semuta music?
I assume the Baron is listening to semuta while he recovers in the bath, but it's not explicit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCylH-WzqrU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

username post... combo?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mister Speaker posted:

I always figured it was just what the BG did (and has been doing for ten thousand years) - going to planets and trying to hijack and manipulate the local religious culture to their benefit, usually implanting a bunch of stuff in their religion that the BG can make use of years (or even millennia) down the line. There's nothing special about Arrakis, it was just one of the many places the Missionara Proctectiva did their work.

If you are a BG and you find yourself alone, cut off, and threatened on an isolated world, you can do some mummery to win the locals over with your oddly-specific knowledge of their religious practices and prophecies - which is exactly what Jessica did after she and Paul fled into the desert and stumbled across Stilgar and his band. Afterwards, Jessica even gives silent thanks to whatever anonymous sister manipulated the Fremen religion long ago, thinking that she did her work well. Even earlier in the book, Jessica was working that angle with the Shadout Mapes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, it's basically just a way for a BG to manipulate religion for their own protection, because they can just slot in and fill the prophecies. And even then it's partially luck, like how Jessica manages to stumble upon the term "Maker" when she was originally planning to say "Maker of Death"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mister Speaker posted:

Paul choosing Irulan (and not explaining why) and Chani literally storming off mad because of it was a weird choice, but it makes sense if we know there's more story coming.

Not trying to get a dig in but I thought that was pretty clear? Paul is a noble, Irulan is a noble, and by getting the Princess' hand he solidifies his claim to the Imperial throne. By staying with Chani he gains no political advantage. Chani, to whom he pledged what she reasonably took as a lifelong commitment*, she's jilted and pissed and doesn't want to be a concubine. This is a departure from the books, but a cool one IMO as it actually creates more conflict and sacrifice on his path.

*Real "from a certain point of view hours." "When I said I'd love you till my dying breath, I meant it. I do love you. I just married someone else. Maybe learn to feel some compersion about it."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vampire Panties posted:

Chronicles of Riddick is an absolute banger of space opera science fiction

The set/costume design is :discourse:

Agreed it’s extremely underrated. It’s pretty wild going from a bog standard future setting in Pitch Black to that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ah OK, thanks for the explanation re: BG prophecies.

Another thing that kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the new film is that the word 'jihad' was completely off the table (was it? maybe I missed its use somewhere) but nobody shrugged about showing the good guys using nuclear bombs.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Mister Speaker posted:

Another thing that kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the new film is that the word 'jihad' was completely off the table (was it? maybe I missed its use somewhere) but nobody shrugged about showing the good guys using nuclear bombs.

Calling them the good guys might be a little off the mark, they're morally gray instruments of the universe at best. Also, at least the nukes were only used to break up the shield wall (the mountain range surrounding the area) to allow the worm incursion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Considering he had to wage interstellar civil war and kill billions to bring the other Houses in line, I'm not 100% on what he gained by marrying Irulan and thereby legitimizing his ascendance. It seems no one but the Fremen and Atreides recognized it as legitimate anyway.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Fausty posted:

Calling them the good guys might be a little off the mark, they're morally gray instruments of the universe at best. Also, at least the nukes were only used to break up the shield wall (the mountain range surrounding the area) to allow the worm incursion.

Enh, in the book they're clear that using nukes offensively is forbidden by the Great Convention and the dodge is that 'we're not using them against enemy troops or fortifications, we're just removing a mountain range,' but in the film they are definitely killing a bunch of Sardaukar with a nuclear blast.

Halloween Jack posted:

Considering he had to wage interstellar civil war and kill billions to bring the other Houses in line, I'm not 100% on what he gained by marrying Irulan and thereby legitimizing his ascendance. It seems no one but the Fremen and Atreides recognized it as legitimate anyway.

Another thing about the movie I didn't like. He didn't have to "bring the other houses in line." They're in line, he threatens/controls the spice. The throne is effectively a formality, a legal legitimization of the de facto state of affairs which everyone recognizes. The houses did not refuse to recognize Paul as emperor until the Fremen show up as enforcers. The Freman jihad is about recognizing Paul's *godhead*, not his ascension to the throne, that is specifically why it is a *holy* war. There are a number of points where I think Villaneuve really misses the point and this is a big one..

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 18, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I like that Rabban wasn't totally clueless, but wasn't smart enough to grasp his predicament and do anything about it.

I really appreciate what Dave Bautista brought to the role, he really didn't afford himself the slightest dignity.

It was also ultra lol when he landed to try and face the Fremen and got a quick taste of how little they're loving around.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Halloween Jack posted:

Even if he ultimately ascends through the rule of iron, it's still handy to have a pretext. If absolutely nothing else, it takes her off the table to marry another scion of a different house of the Landstrad, which would arguably make resistance even more fierce with a legitimate Corinno ruler to rally around. Doing the math on the path maybe he worked it out that without at least the pretense of a claim the jihad holy war would cost another 40 billion lives.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
In some version of Dune 1984, doesnt Paul explicitly say to Irulan "I will marry you, but it will be loveless and we will have no children, you can have whatever pleasures you want but you will never leave my side" or am I conflating his speech to the Emperor?

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Phanatic posted:

Another thing about the movie I didn't like. He didn't have to "bring the other houses in line." They're in line, he threatens/controls the spice. The throne is effectively a formality, a legal legitimization of the de facto state of affairs which everyone recognizes. The houses did not refuse to recognize Paul as emperor until the Fremen show up as enforcers. The Freman jihad is about recognizing Paul's *godhead*, not his ascension to the throne, that is specifically why it is a *holy* war. There are a number of points where I think Villaneuve really misses the point and this is a big one..

Idk about the first point since it's also very much talked about how they are going around the Convention in a legal loophole, however flimsy it may be. Have to 100% agree with this second point though. Love the movies, but they lose some of the important focus of the book.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Paul marries Irulan to conciliate the Bene Gesserit (by keeping one of them in the ruling household) and the Guild (by making a token gesture of continuity). As Messiah shows, Irulan is also an incredibly obvious locus for conspiracy/revolution to rally around and her actions give him a window into his enemies’ plans.

The noble houses are irrelevant, they’ve just been made redundant by a literal barbarian horde.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mister Speaker posted:

They never said "jihad", but Paul was referred to as "mahdi" several times. That's good enough for me, even if it is a slightly obscure bit of history. It does feature a British Imperial army getting completely dunced on though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdist_War

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Phanatic posted:

Enh, in the book they're clear that using nukes offensively is forbidden by the Great Convention and the dodge is that 'we're not using them against enemy troops or fortifications, we're just removing a mountain range,' but in the film they are definitely killing a bunch of Sardaukar with a nuclear blast.

COLLATERAL DAMAGE

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the enthused-about-movie-watching muslim countries are mostly sunni (indonesia, pakistan, uae, saudis) so they don't care as much about the mahdi. whereas jihad is a serious political issue in all those countries i mentioned

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's a very fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also the mahdi's not mentioned at all in the quran, so it's way more of a Thing That Muslim Peeps Believe In For Some Reason, like the rapture is a Thing That Christian Peeps Believe In For Some Reason