Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

He's been exceptional at his job for years, this being the first real exception, and only now seemingly at the expense of the owners actively colluding against signing his guys. I honestly have no idea what you're on about or why you'd dislike the guy.

There are a lot of MLB agents who are way better at their jobs than he is whos names you don't know because they aren't clout and fame chasers the way he is. He's about himself, not his clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Players know what they're getting into when they hire Boras. The Boras 4 all have their flaws and they hired an agent who specifically ignores them. If Snell wanted 6 years, $120 million, he should've hired a different agent.

This is less than Scherzer got from the Nats almost 10 years ago when he only had one Cy, was around the same age Snell is now, and had not yet morphed into obvious HoF candidate MAX SCHERZER yet. Gonna go out on a limb and suggest Snell wanted a lot more than 6/120 regardless of the agent involved.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

There are a lot of MLB agents who are way better at their jobs than he is whos names you don't know because they aren't clout and fame chasers the way he is. He's about himself, not his clients.

Please indicate on the doll where Scott Boras hurt you, mcmagic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boras seems like the cliche agent of Arliss or Ari. Which means he makes big gambles and sometimes they pay off huge and sometimes they don't. If you're a no brainer free agent signing with him is probably a good bet. If you've got issues then you're probably taking a chance to get a big deal instead of just getting a solid deal.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I'd be interested in how he compares overall to somewhere else flashy like CAA. Also he might have been unlucky. Rogers Corp wanted SOME free agents but pitching is one place we're all set.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
He's still going to get Soto $500 to $600 million this winter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

live with fruit posted:

He's still going to get Soto $500 to $600 million this winter.

You could be Soto's agent and get him 500 million.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The cap isn't collusion. It was collectively bargained. Collusion is an explicit but secret agreement among the owners--in this particular case, not to pay Boras clients below the level of No-Doubt Hall Of Famer--which is what I am asserting is almost certainly happening.

These are billionaires we're talking about and, in my extremely humble opinion, it is hopelessly naive to think collusion among them doesn't happen anywhere and everywhere more than two of them gather to form a cartel.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I’ve said this before but I feel like the Mets strategy of “gently caress the luxury tax” and immediately faceplanting has made other teams gun-shy about spending over the threshold. Way to ruin it for everybody else :mets:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Boras may not be good at the job the renowned forums poster mcmagic believes a sports agent should do, but he has long been the best in the world at the job his actual clients hire him to do, which is get me every last cent of possible money to the exclusion of all other considerations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

Boras seems like the cliche agent of Arliss or Ari. Which means he makes big gambles and sometimes they pay off huge and sometimes they don't. If you're a no brainer free agent signing with him is probably a good bet. If you've got issues then you're probably taking a chance to get a big deal instead of just getting a solid deal.

I mean KB had a ton of issues to the point that the SF Giants were straight up saying to the media they were unimpressed with his performance after trading for him and not interested in re-signing, and somehow Boras still fleeced the Rockies (admittedly the dumbest FO on the planet) for a mega deal. Not everybody he peddles is a no-doubt megastar like Soto. But yes he mostly deals with the upper echelon of FA's and makes his bread in waiting out teams to get them to come up in price.

I think the reason it didn't work this year is a combination of the obvious collusion that's been going on for ages under the hood, but also that within the past couple years we've seen a lot of players like Bauer, Bellinger, Stroman, Correa, etc takes shorter term, high AAV deals with opt outs and teams are starting to realize they *really* like those kinds of deals because they come with way less associated risk, meanwhile Boras is a guy who still very much wants to lock up 10/300+ deals. The new meta for teams is to extend your top prospects/rookies up front on team friendly deals and then augment with short term, high AAV FA's which is out of step with the traditional expectation of "play your 6-7 control years -> sign a long term deal" for most guys. Obviously there are still going to be exceptions with your tippiest top guys getting huge deals but it feels like that's going to fade into no longer being the norm, baring a huge financial realignment coming out of the next CBA negotiations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Snell has like a 200 ERA+ in his two Cy Young years and it's 104 in the years between. :psyduck:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It goes without saying its not an agents job for fans of a sport to like him, or even think he is doing a good job. Boras's entire job is to make his clients, and by association himself, the most amount of money possible. That's it. He doesnt give a poo poo about baseball, the league, or the fans. He has literally one goal.

There is a reason why he has made twice as much as the next successful mlb agent ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scott Boras? The haberdasher?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

It goes without saying its not an agents job for fans of a sport to like him, or even think he is doing a good job. Boras's entire job is to make his clients, and by association himself, the most amount of money possible. That's it. He doesnt give a poo poo about baseball, the league, or the fans. He has literally one goal.

There is a reason why he has made twice as much as the next successful mlb agent ever.

That's right. Just want to remind you though there's one most successful agent who literally made every free agent dollar ever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I think the reason it didn't work this year is a combination of the obvious collusion that's been going on for ages under the hood, but also that within the past couple years we've seen a lot of players like Bauer, Bellinger, Stroman, Correa, etc takes shorter term, high AAV deals with opt outs and teams are starting to realize they *really* like those kinds of deals because they come with way less associated risk, meanwhile Boras is a guy who still very much wants to lock up 10/300+ deals.
I think it's much more that these specific four guys (Bellinger, Chapman, Snell, Montgomery) all have major uncertainties about their long term performance due to their unique track records.

What's different is that Ohtani and Yamamoto, the true top of the market this winter, were not represented by Boras.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I think it's much more that these specific four guys (Bellinger, Chapman, Snell, Montgomery) all have major uncertainties about their long term performance due to their unique track records.

What's different is that Ohtani and Yamamoto, the true top of the market this winter, were not represented by Boras.

Boras has materially damaged both Snell and Monty's careers by bungling their contract situations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if you say so

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Amazing that McMagic can see into the future. Wild poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The kwisatz maderach...

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Snell probably could've gotten a contract like the one Nola got if he hadn't tried to max out his value.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Amazing that McMagic can see into the future. Wild poo poo

They are both going to not be ready to start the season at full speed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Boras is holding Snell and Montgomery hostage in a conference room, if they really wanted to sign somewhere they could fire him or tell him they are taking a deal.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

zoux posted:

The kwisatz maderach...

lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

Snell probably could've gotten a contract like the one Nola got if he hadn't tried to max out his value.

Yankees reportedly offered him 5 or 6/150 and Nola got 7/172. So yeah. Sounds about right.

If teams are offering market average long deals and the player/agent are simply turning them down wanting something better I don't think you can call that collusion.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Nola got a 7 year guarantee because he is consistent, the opposite of Snell

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

live with fruit posted:

From where? From who? Theoretically sure something could have happened but we don't even know if that was ever on the table.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Do other agents have good players who should be on rosters not in spring training camps that I'm missing?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Do other agents have good players who should be on rosters not in spring training camps that I'm missing?

Whoever Pham, Lorenzen and Belts' agents are.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Whoever Pham, Lorenzen and Belts' agents are.

Not the same level of player. Not even close.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Not the same level of player. Not even close.

They're still good players.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Blake Snell has 2 Cys yet I don't think he's worth even 2/60

I truly love that he has a CY from both leagues and everyone was at least a little mad about it both times.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
So what coveted Boras client in the past signed somewhere besides New York that made mcmagic lose their mind?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I assume it's about Rodon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

I assume it's about Rodon.

Nah it has nothing to do with any individual player.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeepDickPizza posted:

So what coveted Boras client in the past signed somewhere besides New York that made mcmagic lose their mind?

If a yankees fan is complaining or mad about scott boras you should just assume its because of a-rod.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
can't believe scott boras keeps getting away with this :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

If a yankees fan is complaining or mad about scott boras you should just assume its because of a-rod.

But A-Rod rules?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Inspector_666 posted:

I truly love that he has a CY from both leagues and everyone was at least a little mad about it both times.

I dont remember his first, but last years NL pitching field had to be the weakest in several years

Scott Boras holding court at the winter meetings with his bizarre metaphors does get a tedious after a while ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

But A-Rod rules?

He does and I miss him