Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
inshallah they'll need less of the life boss and more of the life boat in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hate this little ike man

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Real hurthling! posted:

hate this little ike man

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol do the sailors need a life boss and emotional support dogs because they're killing themselves, drinking too much, fighting, slacking off, or all of the above?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Did you guys discuss Ansarallah announced they now have hypersonic anti ship missiles?

Yemen’s Houthis reported to have a hypersonic missile, possibly raising stakes in Red Sea crisis

Assuming this is not a bluff and AA actually got better missile from somebody, they got them either from Iran, or Russia, or China, or NK via Iran. If I have to guess, my money is on Russia carelessly dropping missile design usb drives in the wood.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did you guys discuss Ansarallah announced they now have hypersonic anti ship missiles?

Yemen’s Houthis reported to have a hypersonic missile, possibly raising stakes in Red Sea crisis

Assuming this is not a bluff and AA actually got better missile from somebody, they got them either from Iran, or Russia, or China, or NK via Iran. If I have to guess, my money is on Russia carelessly dropping missile design usb drives in the wood.

well wouldn't the most likely path be russia->iran->aa? iran is selling a bunch of stuff to russia already, it seems plausible russia could have paid for part of that with hypersonic missile designs or even assembled missiles

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Can't see why they would bluff, but i would almost rather wake up to the surprise one day

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hatebag posted:

lol do the sailors need a life boss and emotional support dogs because they're killing themselves, drinking too much, fighting, slacking off, or all of the above?

the systems that support and valorize the life of the sailor (as in, what are your motivations to willingly subject yourself to military discipline) are fraying and breaking. sailors are at an increasing rate heh and intensity forced to grapple with the notion that the navy hates them, the officers scorn them, and the contractors laugh at them for selling their bodies so cheaply

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hatebag posted:

well wouldn't the most likely path be russia->iran->aa? iran is selling a bunch of stuff to russia already, it seems plausible russia could have paid for part of that with hypersonic missile designs or even assembled missiles

Probably, I think an expended red sea blockade (which AA has announced) benefit Russia the most.

Maybe I haven't paying enough attention, I don't think Iran wants to have a faceoff with US/Israel in the *current* middle east war.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hatebag posted:

No rum or sodomy, only the lash.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Can't see why they would bluff, but i would almost rather wake up to the surprise one day

What day is it boy? Good it's not too late. Take this hypersonic surface to surface missile and fetch me the fattest supercarrier in the shop window.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Probably, I think an expended red sea blockade (which AA has announced) benefit Russia the most.

Maybe I haven't paying enough attention, I don't think Iran wants to have a faceoff with US/Israel in the *current* middle east war.

well a red sea blockade also benefits iran because iran can export oil to china at higher prices with less competition from gulf monarchies/mediterranean. i don't think that's their primary motivation for supporting aa but it couldn't hurt.
i also don't think aa is a proxy for iran without a will of their own or anything, but aa has been directly shooting at us/uk/etc ships for a while now. and iran is basically untouchable by the us other than special ops type stuff. i guess if the us really wanted to get tough they could do one or two cruise missile barrages per month but i don't think that would have much of an effect. if anything i assume the us would just apply more impotent sanctions against iran

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hatebag posted:

well a red sea blockade also benefits iran because iran can export oil to china at higher prices with less competition from gulf monarchies/mediterranean. i don't think that's their primary motivation for supporting aa but it couldn't hurt.
i also don't think aa is a proxy for iran without a will of their own or anything, but aa has been directly shooting at us/uk/etc ships for a while now. and iran is basically untouchable by the us other than special ops type stuff. i guess if the us really wanted to get tough they could do one or two cruise missile barrages per month but i don't think that would have much of an effect. if anything i assume the us would just apply more impotent sanctions against iran

It really depends on the range and systems AA is working with and if they can hit ships coming out of the Persian Gulf and/or south of the Horn of Africa which is a bit closer. Obviously, it is unclear, also regardless of that the Cape of Good Hope is going to be a mess in 2-3 months regardless if they hit anything.

Granted, also the Iranians could "proportionally" reliant to whatever the US includes harder strikes against US bases in Iraq/Iran or putting more pressure on the Gulf.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

from Harry Yeide's "The Tank Killers":

what's your color scheme set up as?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Iran is still the closest and most mad at Israel. But also didn't Iran finish their own hypersonics shortly after the flying lawnmower deal?
Edit:too late whatever

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hatebag posted:

They are short-staffed, so they end up having to support so much of the genocide per person that it makes them feel a bit sad. I'm sure some hack director will make a movie about these poor, sad troops in a few years.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Assuming this is not a bluff and AA actually got better missile from somebody

Let's make a list of all the times Ansar Allah was bluffing or otherwise being dishonest:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If AA really has hypersonics it required a lot of help from someone. Smart money on Iran though they just recently built theirs, long money on China because they’re probably the best at it they’ve been focused on that to counter US naval dominance and probably have more advanced models but have no real reason to arm the Houthis , and comedy option would be France who also like Iran only recently developed them but France will sell to anyone and now big universe brain time that’s why it’s always UK merchant ships that are getting hit

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It really depends on the range and systems AA is working with and if they can hit ships coming out of the Persian Gulf and/or south of the Horn of Africa which is a bit closer. Obviously, it is unclear, also regardless of that the Cape of Good Hope is going to be a mess in 2-3 months regardless if they hit anything.

Granted, also the Iranians could "proportionally" reliant to whatever the US includes harder strikes against US bases in Iraq/Iran or putting more pressure on the Gulf.

what I'm seeing suggests a range of 1200-1800 km depending on the reporting source, which means maybe aa could hit the persian gulf and most of the somali coast. though didn't they shoot at eliat awhile ago? that's about 1700 km, so i guess if that missile would have made it to eliat that gives an approximate max range for their non-hypersonic missiles, but who knows how many of those longer range ones they have

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

hate this little eich man

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

If AA really has hypersonics it required a lot of help from someone. Smart money on Iran though they just recently built theirs, long money on China because they’re probably the best at it they’ve been focused on that to counter US naval dominance and probably have more advanced models but have no real reason to arm the Houthis , and comedy option would be France who also like Iran only recently developed them but France will sell to anyone and now big universe brain time that’s why it’s always UK merchant ships that are getting hit

All the non-NATO powers can benefit from advancement of anti-ship technology, maybe one or two powers wants to test new missile tech from a safe distance. AA is an ideal non-state actor with tons of deniability.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

what's your color scheme set up as?

I use sepia on the desktop ereader

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
aren’t most missiles hypersonic at some point of the launch and/or reentry stage? I don’t think the Yemenis have hypersonic glide vehicles which are a different thing, but rather better and faster missiles

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

aren’t most missiles hypersonic at some point of the launch and/or reentry stage? I don’t think the Yemenis have hypersonic glide vehicles which are a different thing, but rather better and faster missiles

most ballistic surface to surface missiles get up to around mach 3, what are called hypersonic missiles get up to around mach 7. it's a marketing term basically. icbms get up to like mach 25 but they don't call those hypersonic

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I think to be a "true" hypersonic you are talking sustained mach5.5+ entirely inside the atmosphere at relatively flat trajectory/low altitude - really fast and really low so by the time it's detected it's too late. that's the challenge as it has the highest material stress on the object from the mass of air its moving through.. is that right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah hypersonic is when it's more than just a consequence of reentry

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's just like "AI", its mostly marketing buzz word. But its faster than the last batch of missile they used.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah hypersonic is when it's more than just a consequence of reentry

yeah
hypersonic speed in a ballistic freefall isn't a "hypersonic missile"
afaik when they explicitly call something hypersonic they mean it's able to hit those speeds following a controlled trajectory and/or retains some maneuverability

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

given the speed and range they operate at, how's guidance on hypersonics supposed to even work?

does it have insanely long range fast sensors or is it all guided externally or just set along a given path to target or what?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Tempora Mutantur posted:

given the speed and range they operate at, how's guidance on hypersonics supposed to even work?

does it have insanely long range fast sensors or is it all guided externally or just set along a given path to target or what?

hmph, video tags aren't working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The video tags know where it is because it knows where it isn’t.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
well any sensors it has are going to be receiving at light speed and computers are pretty fast at executing commands

i think external guidance ie 'command guided' is preferred but there's going to be a point where it switches to internal guidance which is 'inertial' which afaik is basically the missile knowing where it is (see video), how fast its going and for how long and working out where that puts it on a map. Inertial guidance is fine to a point but errors will build up over the flight time, if it can make an external connection to either a dedicated guidance controller or at least a gps satellite at some point it can correct for the errors. In a heavily jammed environment, say a world war, it's gonna probably be all inertial and they're not going to be getting the 'within 5 meters accuracy' that America is used to. More like within 100m being optimistic.

edit: don't know why i stated gps as internal guidance

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Mar 18, 2024

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Tempora Mutantur posted:

Hypersonic weapons (as usually described) are mostly used against fixed targets or ships, and the terminal closure rate in those cases is actually not faster than what is common for many air-air or surface-air missiles. Even at mach 4, you've got 3-4 seconds to make adjustments once the target is clearly resolvable to a vis/IR camera, and longer than that for radar terminal guidance. The missile only moves about 1 meter per millisecond, so the speed of the computers and sensors is not really a problem. Having a very well characterized flight model and control system is the "hard" part, and even then you can do pretty well with simple on-off actuators and bang bang control

If you are relying entirely on GPS/INS things can be harder and depend on the quality of your position data, but for something as expensive as a hypersonic glide vehicle or ballistic missile, almost everyone uses vis/IR or radar terminal guidance because why wouldn't you? They are cheap and reliable.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Do they even have explosives in them or is it purely a kinetic kill vehicle?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fell Mood posted:

Do they even have explosives in them or is it purely a kinetic kill vehicle?

Hardware isn’t my thing but I don’t know of any commonly used missiles that are mostly kinetic other than like those RX-9 knife missile and such for “surgical” drone strikes which I guess is in practice mostly kinetic.

Apparently from a google in the past the US has used kinetic training bombs on Iraqi military hardware during the no-fly-zone era

I can’t really see a use case unless you’re in space or trying to be really exact.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Mar 18, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I don't know why you'd make a missile without explosives unless you're doing like a single person target thing, pretty much anything that can fly can carry a payload.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
CIWS (Close in weapons systems) only intercept missiles around the speed of cruise missiles. Mach .5 to 1.5 or so, Tomahawk are subsonic.

Bullets are immensely slower than missiles topping out at Mach 4 for the .22 swift varmint round being the fastest and to achieve this, very small.

Anti ship missiles are 2 to 3 times faster than cruise missiles. Anti ship Sunburns are Mach 3 with a range of 150 miles.

HouseofSuren has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Mar 18, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also some of these newer ones can skim the water fast as gently caress on top of juking a little during the final attack approach which makes it really hard to depend on CWIS systems since at best you’ve got around 3-5 miles to try to detect, identify and respond

Did some more googling and what’s interesting is that within the range of getting a probable hit most CWIS on other craft could not even move fast enough to track a supersonic missile, and if it’s coming straight at you, by the time you hit you’re still going to take some damage from sheer kinetic energy even if you disable the warhead at that range.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Mar 18, 2024

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I forget which country but when someone developed nukes they would meet with Americans and get told "no, try this. No try this". Basically help them get at the right answer without giving it. Maybe that's what happened

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Flournival Dixon posted:

I don't know why you'd make a missile without explosives unless you're doing like a single person target thing, pretty much anything that can fly can carry a payload.

at the speeds they go, explosives are less effective by weight than just prioritizing density for a kinetic impact - they're already going faster than almost any chemical explosion velocity

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

boats have bombs on board to blow up for you if you can hit them