Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Had my first drop where we decided gently caress it we're starting over. Landed next to the Eye of Sauron and immediately had dropship after dropship coming down. Was trying to throw the orbital laser at it and got shot, dropping it at my feet where it proceeded to go the opposite direction and also melt me. Then my squad mate threw one but the laser decided to go after the drops and not the eye.

By that time we'd both died multiple times and there were 20-30 bots including at least 2 hulks, our support weapons were unretrievable, lasers on cooldown and neither of us had anything that could hurt the hulks and we'd already burned the first 10 minutes with 3 reinforcements left.

At least it was the first mission in the op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

jokes posted:

I'm so bad at the 500kg eagle. I feel like I need it to deploy way, way quicker. Yesterday's effect didn't help where it was like a 10s deployment.

Excellent for a first strike against a hive/factory/whatever tho
The trick is basically to throw it a lot closer to you than you think you need to. If you're on one of the harder difficulties with stratagem delay then it takes a good few seconds to actually deploy.

A pro-strat for dropping 500kg on Bile Titans is to bait them into puking on you after you've thrown it (assuming its not already completely off target). They'll stay in place for a few seconds. You do have to be decent at dodging though.

I find it to be pretty much pot luck as to whether I'll kill a Charger (or two) with a 500kg, because of how quickly they move around.

Another option for 500kg is calling it up but not throwing it when you're deep in the poo poo and about to die. You'll get killed, drop the primed ball right on your own corpse and gloriously nuke everything that had the temerity to kill you.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RandomBlue posted:

Had my first drop where we decided gently caress it we're starting over. Landed next to the Eye of Sauron and immediately had dropship after dropship coming down. Was trying to throw the orbital laser at it and got shot, dropping it at my feet where it proceeded to go the opposite direction and also melt me. Then my squad mate threw one but the laser decided to go after the drops and not the eye.

By that time we'd both died multiple times and there were 20-30 bots including at least 2 hulks, our support weapons were unretrievable, lasers on cooldown and neither of us had anything that could hurt the hulks and we'd already burned the first 10 minutes with 3 reinforcements left.

About as fun as landing and immediately hearing 'You are in range of enemy artillery'

Hot drops vs bots are an experience

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The autocannon doesn't reign supreme against bugs like it does against bots, but it's still very useful for raining long-ranged explosive doom down on anything slower than a Hunter and squishier than a Charger - which covers quite a lot of things you'll want to get rid of quickly.

I think I've saved quite a lot of lives by magdumping into bile spewer packs, for instance.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RandomBlue posted:

its the right call, gently caress wasting time in that kind of situation. sometimes the RNG just gets ya and its not worth the frustration trying to overcome it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I had a match last night where I was cleaning up question marks while my team mates called in the exfil. I decided to call down my mech and stomp over to them because I hadn’t used it all match and I thought it would look cool.

As I merrily stomped towards the extraction zone, my teammates got overrun and started fleeing from the point, accidentally kiting a huge swarm of bugs across an open field directly perpendicular to my fully loaded mech.

I ran the mini gun dry. I don’t know how I didn’t splatter a single one of my pubbies, I was litterally shooting hunters as they attacked my mates. 50+ bugs later and there was nothing left to impede our exit.

This game loving rocks.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sammus posted:

I had a match last night where I was cleaning up question marks while my team mates called in the exfil. I decided to call down my mech and stomp over to them because I hadn’t used it all match and I thought it would look cool.

As I merrily stomped towards the extraction zone, my teammates got overrun and started fleeing from the point, accidentally kiting a huge swarm of bugs across an open field directly perpendicular to my fully loaded mech.

I ran the mini gun dry. I don’t know how I didn’t splatter a single one of my pubbies, I was litterally shooting hunters as they attacked my mates. 50+ bugs later and there was nothing left to impede our exit.

This game loving rocks.

Hell yeah it does. :911:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Darth Walrus posted:

The autocannon doesn't reign supreme against bugs like it does against bots, but it's still very useful for raining long-ranged explosive doom down on anything slower than a Hunter and squishier than a Charger - which covers quite a lot of things you'll want to get rid of quickly.

I think I've saved quite a lot of lives by magdumping into bile spewer packs, for instance.

The AC is excellent for sniping stalkers and popping spewers. Not very useful for chargers/titans but that's why Super God invented stratagems

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
Super God bless us, every Super Destroyer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jokes posted:

The AC is excellent for sniping stalkers and popping spewers. Not very useful for chargers/titans but that's why Super God invented stratagems

At least you can contribute somewhat against titans, since their abdomen is exposed from nearly every angle.

It's also great for closing bug holes and collapsing spore/radio towers at long range, of course.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ninjewtsu posted:

is there like, extended gameplay footage of someone using it effectively on a high difficulty mission so i can reverse engineer the secret to making it not awful in actual combat scenarios that aren't "you vs a charger in an otherwise empty field"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qodL07p-SQ

Note that he only uses it against groups in narrow chokepoints because it's mostly about the direct damage from the stream rather than the DoT.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Yeah it's tempting to just spin around like a madman while keeping your feet planted but the DoT burn damage is relatively low compared to the firestream itself. You have to keep it on target for a fraction of a second to roast the smaller bugs, so spray it around slowly while moving sideways or backwards to avoid getting surrounded.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love that planet, by the way. Fenris or whatever it is. It's so pretty, but the last time I was on it the meteor shower effect was happening that poo poo loving sucks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anecdotally my friend who has been using the flamethrower constantly dies, can't survive on his own, and lights us on fire more than the bugs. Not saying it's bad but I feel like it does more harm than good when in most situations an EAT/RR/AC would be far more helpful to himself and the team.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Does the AMR count as explosive damage for hitting charger squishy bits?
It has a pretty explosive looking impact particle effect

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

priznat posted:

I wish I loved anything as much as randos love 120/380mm barrages, jfc
The air strike progression is a deliberate ploy by the devs to ensure that friendly fire TPKs are as common as new players going on their first real mission.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FrancisFukyomama posted:

No

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah but then those players never learn they are supposed to run away from Bile Spewer packs.

My new fave bug loadout is sickle, P-19, impact grenade, eagle airstrike, orbital laser, shield generator backpack, EAT w/ +2 grenade armor.

Sickle is for killing anything smaller than a bile spewer. Can kill nursing spewers really fast by aiming at their heads. It's the best gun in the game if you have a sense of when it will overheat and kite the bugs to give time for it to cool down.
P-19 is for when the sickle runs out of ammo and running away is not an option. Use it on semi-auto. I rarely need it.
Impact grenades are for quickly throwing behind me when I'm running away to create some space, bile spewers, big packs of small bugs, and occasionally chargers. Kind of an "oh poo poo" button.
Eagle airstrike is for blowing up bug holes and clearing out bugs camped on minor points of interest. Can stealth up, throw it, and run away without aggroing anything if you're careful. Also can throw it behind you to clear out chasing bugs.
Orbital laser is for solo taking out a nest when it's not gonna be possible to stealth up to toss an eagle airstrike at the holes. Also, save one for the last 10-20 seconds before extract to help clear out the point because it can get really spicy.
Shield generator backpack makes running away SO much easier. Lets you be a little sloppy about watching your flank. Lets you stand your ground against a nursing spewer and shoot them in the face while they spit bile at you. Lets you ignore a glancing blow from a Charger. It's great. And avoiding all the small damage really conserves stims.
EAT is the absolute best. When running, wait till sprint runs out and throw one in front of you as far as you can. Should come down about when you get to it. Shoot chargers and bile titans directly in the head. It one shots chargers pretty easily, bile titans can be one shot by it but sometimes it takes 3 or 4. When you get to an objective throw one down immediately so it'll hopefully be off cooldown by the time you need another. Chargers are the biggest problem so being able to kill them quickly is huge.

Another huge tip is to split up from the squad. Being split allows players to take advantage of the global cooldown for bug breeches. For example, if the team has caused a bug breech on the other side of the map, you can rambo into a nest and blow it up. And they get the same advantage if you trigger one. But if you're alone and you trigger a breach, RUN AWAY. The bugs will stop chasing, especially if you turn around occasionally to snipe the fast ones. Hopefully, you've cleared out any standing groups of bugs at minor points of interest so it's safe to run.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Airburst has delayed release of 3 explosions which gives it a slightly different use case than eagle cluster. you can throw it on top of a breech or behind you and you know the conga line is gonna get messed up.

I'd still argue that the use case of shutting down bug holes is better served by napalm since it'll keep it locked down while still dealing damage to any titans/chargers that come out

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DarkDobe posted:

About as fun as landing and immediately hearing 'You are in range of enemy artillery'

Truly where HD2’s status as spiritual successor to X-COM: UFO DEFENSE is most clear.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
By the way, I never want to hear complaints about visibility on draupnir while ustuto exists

there are enemies in the direction I'm looking in both of these screenshots

FrancisFukyomama posted:

No, it's not great against "massive" weakpoints.
Note that this category does include tank/turret vents, and possibly hulk vents, but does not include hulk eyes, which it is good against.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

My loadout lately is Slugger, redeemer and plain Jane default grenades.

Strategems are ARC, EAT, Rover(Or shield) and Orbital Railgun or Eagle Airstrike in the 4th slot. Yes, I being two secondaries.

The Slugger compliments the Arc really well and allows me to murder Spewers and Nurses, if you get jumped at close range that's what the Redeemer is for. I haven't found anything that comes close to massacring numbers as the Arc.

The Rover isn't there to kill bugs, although it does that, it's an early warning system. The Arc is great at murdering all the small and medium bugs in the world that I am facing so when the Rover starts shooting behind me or to a side I know to look and not get blindsided. It also makes it easier to retreat because it kills followers.

Just drop EATs all the time and swap to them and pick the Arc back up as needed. I find that's more useful than bringing 110s or other strategem for heavies, because you pretty much always have EATs handy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Sammus posted:

This game loving rocks.

My question: how many times did you cackle compared to how many times your helldiver cackled?

One of the game's best things is determining which bark is appropriate for your helldiver. Like you'll get a cornball "How about a taste of freedom?!" if you pop a bunch with a grenade, but if you're going nuts with a flamethrower/minigun, all you get is AAAAHHHHAAHA HAHAHHAGAHAGAUA" which is correct.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LazyMaybe posted:

By the way, I never want to hear complaints about visibility on draupnir while ustuto exists

there are enemies in the direction I'm looking in both of these screenshots

No, it's not great against "massive" weakpoints.
Note that this category does include tank/turret vents, and possibly hulk vents, but does not include hulk eyes, which it is good against.

Sometimes you want to bring close-range weapons because of visibility conditions, sometimes you want to bring long-range weapons because of visibility conditions

It is for this reason that the liberator, Super God's own favored weapon, is an all-purpose weapon.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dren posted:

Sickle is for killing anything smaller than a bile spewer. Can kill nursing spewers really fast by aiming at their heads. It's the best gun in the game if you have a sense of when it will overheat and kite the bugs to give time for it to cool down.

I think part of what makes the sickle so strong is that you don’t actually need to care about the overheat cycle. You get 6 mags and it has a pretty fast reload - when you really need to keep shooting you’re barely penalized for doing so. I think if they balance anything about the weapon this should be it, because as is it is definitely the strongest primary in the game. It could probably have half the mag count or a much longer reload animation and still be the strongest.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

explosivo posted:

Anecdotally my friend who has been using the flamethrower constantly dies, can't survive on his own, and lights us on fire more than the bugs. Not saying it's bad but I feel like it does more harm than good when in most situations an EAT/RR/AC would be far more helpful to himself and the team.

Flamethrower can be hard for some people to use. It does a LOT of damage but most of that damage is contingent on directly hitting enemies with the stream coming out from the nozzle. You'll see people grab the flame thrower and kind of wildly whip it in wide arcs back and forth. Don't do that! If you picture the laser cannon in your head, you should use the flamethrower the same way - try and keep the stream on one target at a time until they're dead and it'll kill things very quickly. 3-4 seconds of sustained fire will delete a charger leg, but you have to keep hitting the leg instead of sweeping it across the body. For hordes, you want to focus one target at a time and move onto the next once you've killed the first - practice and a feel for the weapon will let you learn how much ammo/time you need to kill different targets, and let you sweep out large chunks of the horde quickly while also doing incidental and non-trivial damage to targets behind/near the line of fire.

There is some actual merit to drawing a line on the ground that approaching bugs have to walk across - this helps ensure that everything gets set on fire and takes a little damage, which will thin out scavs and baby hunters, but it's not something you should be doing constantly. If you're doing a running retreat, the flamethrower can be really good as the bugs chasing you string out into a line. You sprint away, turn, fire for a couple of seconds, including a quick sweep across the ground to ensure it's on fire so things chasing you get ignited, and sprint away again before repeating.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

causticBeet posted:

I think part of what makes the sickle so strong is that you don’t actually need to care about the overheat cycle. You get 6 mags and it has a pretty fast reload - when you really need to keep shooting you’re barely penalized for doing so. I think if they balance anything about the weapon this should be it, because as is it is definitely the strongest primary in the game. It could probably have half the mag count or a much longer reload animation and still be the strongest.

It's a liberator but the clips regenerate bullets so you don't need to reload when you're low on bullets from small fights.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Durzel posted:

The trick is basically to throw it a lot closer to you than you think you need to. If you're on one of the harder difficulties with stratagem delay then it takes a good few seconds to actually deploy.

A pro-strat for dropping 500kg on Bile Titans is to bait them into puking on you after you've thrown it (assuming its not already completely off target). They'll stay in place for a few seconds. You do have to be decent at dodging though.

I find it to be pretty much pot luck as to whether I'll kill a Charger (or two) with a 500kg, because of how quickly they move around.

Another option for 500kg is calling it up but not throwing it when you're deep in the poo poo and about to die. You'll get killed, drop the primed ball right on your own corpse and gloriously nuke everything that had the temerity to kill you.

Another fun one: If you know the bile titan is going to melee (and you have normal calldown times), you can rush through its legs and throw the 500kg at the ground.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

causticBeet posted:

I would barely notice either of those nerfs so if it has to get nerfed, please let that be how they do it.

It's good against bots but I prefer the diligence bc the sickle is a bit inaccurate at range and sniping is much stronger against the bots.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

DarkDobe posted:

Last night we had two missions in a row where we landed on top of two mortar bases within range of each other.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 18, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sindai posted:

Last night we had two missions in a row where we landed on top of two mortar bases right next to each other.

Stratagems are just magic spells, if you chant the right words/directions you can always just summon a heavenly beam to melt your opponents

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qodL07p-SQ

Note that he only uses it against groups in narrow chokepoints because it's mostly about the direct damage from the stream rather than the DoT.

well that does look an awful lot more effective than what i was doing. "use the flamethrower like a gun, ignore the fire effects" seems silly but ok sure i'll try that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One of the only legit armor-piercing weapons we got! I still wish it was more of an area denial weapon, but whatever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

One of the only legit armor-piercing weapons we got! I still wish it was more of an area denial weapon, but whatever.
*dreams in Deep Rock Galactic*

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

If I deploy the mortar sentry defensively against bugs, am I going to team kill once they're in and among us?

You better believe it. When I see a pubby take one on bug missions I know to not worry too much about samples for that one. Or extracting. Or having any reinforcements left after the first 10 minutes.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mortar bases add some spice to a drop but hot dropping next to a stratagem blocker is what really separates the Helldivers from the Hellbabies.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sometimes the best way to use the mortar is to throw it down out of LoS near an enemy nest/outpost, and then walk away and do something else until you hear it stop firing. maybe get into position to come at the base from another angle so you can rush in while all the enemies who went to go stop the mortar are over by where you put the mortar.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ravenfood posted:

*dreams in Deep Rock Galactic*
this game legit couldn't handle the crspr

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Bring back allowing duplicate stratagems

https://youtu.be/QMk_8b760gU?si=2-e2AYet_sY8tDSp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

This thread has opened my eyes to the EAT17. Thank you. Bless democracy.

Calldown EATS, apply democracy, Liberally

jokes posted:

Sometimes you want to bring close-range weapons because of visibility conditions, sometimes you want to bring long-range weapons because of visibility conditions

It is for this reason that the liberator Slugger, Super God's own favored weapon, is an all-purpose weapon.

:agreed:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 18, 2024