Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

"California sober"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

edgeman83 posted:

From the antinatalism2 subreddit:
I loving hate humanity

One of the cringiest and edgiest things I have read in a while. The saddest are the number of people agreeing with it.

Lmao, are there two antinatalism subreddits or something?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
community schism over veganism

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WIBTA if I complain to HOA about a discriminatory sign in my neighbor's yard?

quote:

My family is religious (Catholic). A while ago we had a family move in a few houses down the road from us and they are atheist. They put up a sign in their yard stating that they're atheist and disapprove of all religion and refuse to discuss it in any way. I have NO issue with other beliefs and was fine with having an atheist family in the neighborhood, but having a sign that shames people for being religious and wanting to share their religion with others is incredibly hateful and disrespectful.

I went over the other day to ask them to take the sign down, and they seem like decently nice people so I thought that they would be willing to understand and take it down without arguing but unfortunately I was wrong. They said that they only have the sign so that they aren't bothered by Mormons going door to door and whatnot, and so I said that their sign borders on hate speech and is very discriminatory and disrespectful, especially considering that we live in a very nice upper class neighborhood where the majority of people are religious. They made it very clear that they are not willing to take the sign down no matter what and that they do not think that it's hateful in any way when it's clearly shaming the religious families in our community.

I have been considering contacting our HOA to complain in hopes of getting their sign removed, but I'm worried that that may be overkill. I don't think that this is acceptable but I don't want to go too far, so WIBTA if I go through with it?

My right to ensure your lack of freedom from participation in attempted religious indoctrination shall not be infringed :911:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

we need to break the Christians like dogs imo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The post functions as a great explainer for why HOA's exist, what their purpose is and who they are for

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hopes Fall posted:

I've always differentiated by 'cider' and 'hard cider'. Or my grandmom just leaves the cider too long and then calls it 'apple jack'
In New England, applejack is what you get when you have hard cider and freeze-distill it. (Put it in an outdoors shed, wait till it freezes, pour off the alcohol.)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Gadzuko posted:

The title said his account was suspended by the fraud team.

I feel for this person, but lol at winding up with over half a million dollars (at least) from a Runescape transaction. I wonder what the original value was.

There was a banking goon in one of the Bitcoin threads who had to figure out how to liquidate bitcoins for someone who sold a pickup truck for Bitcoins back in 2016 or something before it took off, and now had millions of dollars worth but no idea how to legally extract it. Someone accidentally becoming wealthy from a transaction many years ago does happen, but only if they actually kept track of it and then didn't lose the bitcoin in a scam or one of the exchanges going under.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Weed is considerably less bad than alcohol, I think. If you go from a raging alcoholic to a stoner you've improved positions in life, I think. You still shouldn't drive but you're less likely to like, be violent or whatever. At least, that's what I tell myself.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lmao, are there two antinatalism subreddits or something?

The first one got banned IIRC.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

please, i let my baby drive, everyone coddles their children so much nowadays, it's about dropping them in the deep end, sink or swim!

My baby, meanwhile, travels and is not bound by the need for a statist license

He does not understand the rules of basketball

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My (33M), parents (79M, 70F), have removed me from their will and inheritance due to the fact I greatly enjoy traveling.

quote:

I am in a long distance relationship with my GF (25F) that is going quite well and she is a lovely person. This post is not about that topic but it does serve as background info.

My parents have always been extremely anti-travel, and have never travelled expect for social obligations such as a funeral or a wedding. Whereas I love traveling, it is the main passion or hobby in my life, and I have been to o multiple countries, mostly in Latin America but I’ve also been to Europe too.

Everytime I have travelled internationally we go thru a whole song on dance of my parents barraging me with conspiracy theories, threats, passive aggressive behavior and more. They believe with every fiber of their being that US citizens are immediately kidnapped and “disappeared” the moment they step off a plane (they even think this about Americans visiting Canada or the UK), believe that the fact that I travel will lead to someone hacking their bank accounts and steal their sizable savings (numbered in the millions of USD), and blame their health issues on my travels. Any and all attempts of mine to show them their views are wrong are flatly ignored.

When I travelled to Europe they reacted by refusing to communicate with me for 3 months. When I travelled to Latin America previously they did the same but they also called the police to send a police officer to my house to convince me to not go on vacation. After my trip they sent me long emails about how the fact that I travel “causes us to have health problems and it is your fault for being a bad son”.

I tried my best to ignore these behaviors and keep the peace, as well, they’d leave an inheritance for me with a life changing sum of money whenever they pass away. I simply continued to travel and not tell them of my plans.

My most recent trip was to meet my LDR gf’s family in South America. I had no plans to tell my parents but she insisted of being presented to my family via FaceTime. The FaceTime call had the reaction I expected (my dad was cool, my mother was rude and offensive and said means things about my gf’s family due to their nationality).

My folks went no contact for a number of weeks and hit me up to inform me that I have been removed from their will, that I am no longer welcome to visit them, and that they will not attend my wedding if I get married in the future. They said they will donate the inheritance to political causes they support instead.

My gf is adamant that I do something to restore the relationship with my parents. However I have no idea how to accomplish that considering my folk’s hard line stance. And the fact that I as a 33 year old man refuse to be bullied by my family to abandon my passion in life,

TL;DR parents hate that I travel, and have removed me from their will. No idea how to fix things.

EDIT: I’m financially well off and a homeowner, to the point I don’t have to worry about bills or groceries etc and am able to save a comfortable amount each month. However the inheritance money would be life changing because it’s enough that I could retire immediately whenever the time comes.

EDIT#2: my gf does not know about the inheritance and is unaware of my parent’s financial status as we have not talked about that.

I'd call them racist and xenophobic in addition to being anti-travel. But uh yeah, live your best life without them or their money, op.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"If you want me to never travel again, give me the money right now with no conditions"

Then resume traveling

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

My (33M), parents (79M, 70F), have removed me from their will and inheritance due to the fact I greatly enjoy traveling.

I'd call them racist and xenophobic in addition to being anti-travel. But uh yeah, live your best life without them or their money, op.

Honestly, the idea of losing millions of dollars because you like traveling sucks rear end, but it also doesn't seem reasonable to just not travel for the next few decades, especially if you can afford it now. Also, if they're willing to yoink his inheritance for flimsy reasons like that they'd find another reason even if all he did was stay home and kowtow to them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I'm guessing that being in his parents' good graces would take a lot more than limiting his vacations to the closest national park.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

WIBTA for putting in a fake negative review for my workplace?

Full uncritical support to Reggie and Cider. Don't hate the player.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

DemoneeHo posted:

They said they will donate the inheritance to political causes they support instead.

Lmao I guess Trump's legal fund is gonna get a boost

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for not making my son give away his second prize?

quote:

I have 2 sons: Robbie (16) and Cameron (8). Robbie had an awards banquet for his team, the entire family went. Every year they have a raffle with a bunch of different prizes. I bought both of my sons a roll of tickets each and told them to put in for whatever. Cameron had 2 things he really wanted: a LEGO kit and a remote control car. He put basically all his tickets in for those.

There was another boy there, probably a little younger than Cameron, who was running around and saying the the was going to win the remote control car. Everyone would just smile and say “we’ll see!”

Come time for the raffle, Cameron won the LEGO kit. A few draws later and he also wins the remote control car. When the other little boy’s parents explained to their son he didn’t win, he broke down in a huge tantrum where he was screaming and crying. His dad had to carry him out because he was causing a bit of a disturbance.

We were sitting with 2 other families at our table and one told Cameron he should give the car to the little boy. Cameron said no. They looked at me for backup and I said it’s his choice. I changed the subject. The little boy did return. He came by our table a couple of times but didn’t say anything. Just stared at the car, which I felt was fine.

Later, a friend of mine said a few others felt Cameron should’ve given the little boy the car as he already won something. I said this is just how raffles work and it’s a good lesson for kids. There are times my sons haven’t won things from raffles or similar events. They learned young it’s all up to luck.

Keep in mind, I never heard from the parents of this child. I know the mom in passing as our older sons have hung out a couple of times but not that well.

My husband wonders if we should’ve just encouraged Cameron to give it away. AITA for saying no?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pomme de Terror posted:

They're right to defend Cameron winning both.

tbh - this feels like a failure of the raffle organizers. Most raffles will only allow people to win a single prize. But even if they did that, there was no guarantee that this other brat would have won.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
This reminds me of the time I went to a raffle at a brewery where you could buy tickets and put them into different buckets for a chance to win. I bought about $20 of tickets, split them up and ended up winning 5 prizes.

The looks were pretty drat awkward.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Pomme de Terror posted:

Good on the dad and the kid for holding fast in the face of a tantrum. Clearly that kid has learned that tantrums work and gently caress that (literal) noise.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Agrikk posted:

Good on the dad and the kid for holding fast in the face of a tantrum. Clearly that kid has learned that tantrums work and gently caress that (literal) noise.

I'm not sure where you got that from. That's not a super unusual a reaction for a 6 year old (ish) for experiencing that kind of disappointment, and the parents reacted by removing him from the situation. The parents weren't the people asking him to give up the toy.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing that being in his parents' good graces would take a lot more than limiting his vacations to the closest national park.
Yeah, he would have to start dating someone who his parents perceive as the "right" kind of person.

"white" kind of person

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Halloween Jack posted:

Next they're going to take the inheritance away unless he dumps the nonwhite girlfriend.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah whenever someone is like 'eh I woulda sucked it up to get the money from my rich parent', I'm like lol you really don't understand how much of your life you have to perform to get that poo poo. It's a loving devil's bargain and you're selling a chunk of yourself for it, just a whole -rear end piece of flesh from your midsection minimum, to keep your parents happy. How much of yourself can you parcel off and sell for the inheritance before there's none left? Before you've hacked away so much, you've been shaped into something unrecognizable, even to yourself? Will the money even be worth it when what comes out the other side isn't left with enough of themselves to feel human anymore?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, if someone starts with the throat-clearing noises about disinheriting you, the only proper response is to assume your inheritance will be $zero, because even if you knuckle under to them, there's no guarantee* they won't screw you in the will at the last moment (and they have just demonstated that they will absolutely gently caress around with their will as a power game). Just smile, mark a zero in your financial planning notebook, and get on with living your life (start by cutting them out of it).

* I suppose there are things like irrevocable trusts and the like, but someone willing to play dangle-and-snatch-away with you over their money isn't going to let themselves be bound up by one of those.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah whenever someone is like 'eh I woulda sucked it up to get the money from my rich parent', I'm like lol you really don't understand how much of your life you have to perform to get that poo poo. It's a loving devil's bargain and you're selling a chunk of yourself for it, just a whole -rear end piece of flesh from your midsection minimum, to keep your parents happy. How much of yourself can you parcel off and sell for the inheritance before there's none left? Before you've hacked away so much, you've been shaped into something unrecognizable, even to yourself? Will the money even be worth it when what comes out the other side isn't left with enough of themselves to feel human anymore?

What a lot of people seem to miss is that by not giving in they’re just in the same situation as the large majority of people getting no meaningful inheritance. They haven’t lost any money because it was never theirs in the first place.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What a lot of people seem to miss is that by not giving in they’re just in the same situation as the large majority of people getting no meaningful inheritance. They haven’t lost any money because it was never theirs in the first place.

They also have a good shot at contesting the will. It may or may not be worth the effort.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

tbh - this feels like a failure of the raffle organizers. Most raffles will only allow people to win a single prize. But even if they did that, there was no guarantee that this other brat would have won.

Really? Building in diminishing returns seems like it would defeat the purpose of having a multiple-entry raffle. The only raffles I can remember being at that only allowed a single prize per entrant are just one entry per person, so you literally couldn't be drawn for a second prize without cheating.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

DemoneeHo posted:

Anti-travel people (as the other poster said, raicsts and xenophobes) fascinate me. Even being from the UK where people go abroad far more often than in the USA (too often, some say) I've had some bizarre reactions to the places I've gone. Multiple people seem to think that "Taken" is a documentary given how some people reacted when I told them I was going to Albania on holiday.

Mordiceius posted:

I was at a pub quiz and the team that won the main event by a big margin also won first choice at the raffle and took the nice bottle of wine and the giant bar of toblerone.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 18, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

A titty bar is a strip club. They dance and actually get naked (or nearly) and may do private dances and the like.

A breastaurant is like Hooters. It’s just a restaurant but the waitresses are all dressed skimpily and supposed to be hot. Hooters and Twin Peaks are the big ones. Tilted Kilt is supposed to be but honestly the two times I’ve been in one they were dressed about the same as any other Irish bar/restaurant. Worse food though.

The only other one I know of is in Texas -- Bone Daddy's. I'm sure there's other regional chains.
In googling, Bone Daddy's moved away from the breastauranteuring and had their servers slightly more more dressed.

The one time I went after a 2007 wedding, their slogan appeared to be "gettin janky with it," and I never learned what that meant.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Allowing multiple entries is the problem, by doing that there's no way to guarantee that a person won't win more than one item

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

brainstorming the perfect child casino that maximizes intake while discouraging unsightly tantrums

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friends parents were anti-travel weirdos. They were born in the Canadian prairies and got fairly rich off some land deals, selling their land to sprawl developers or something? Anyways, they moved all the way here to Victoria, a very very different culture and climate because they felt they had made it and thus need to upgrade their lives to a place that barely has winter. Despite this big move midway through their lives, they did not at all understand travel. They declared that canada and north america in general is the same everywhere. Why go to Toronto, the mcdonalds there is the same as the mcdonalds here, it's all the same stores so there's no point.

Their son ended up a weeb and desperately wanted to go to Japan but despite them being wealthy, they would not allow it. Apparently the only reason to go to japan is to brag about it to seem worldly, or to pretend you actually like foreign food (no one likes foreign food, it's all just a giant emperor's new clothes con for people to feel superior and worldly). He saved up for a japan trip all throughout high school but his parents said if he wasted that money on a trip they'd not pay for his school. So he had to wait until he finished university to ever travel. He wasn't a weeb by the time he finished his schooling, but still went to japan with his fiance and had a great time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Baronjutter posted:

He wasn't a weeb by the time he finished his schooling, but still went to japan with his fiance and had a great time.

Gotta admire the spite being strong enough that you stick with the plan just to tell your parents gently caress you.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Winning multiple raffles is like owning multiple homes: an abomination to the post-capitalist utopia being constructed in this thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clark Nova posted:

brainstorming the perfect child casino that maximizes intake while discouraging unsightly tantrums

but we already have chuck e cheese

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

haveblue posted:

but we already have gacha games

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Bramble posted:

Winning multiple raffles is like owning multiple homes: an abomination to the post-capitalist utopia being constructed in this thread.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Here’s a woman who needs to be more honest with herself about what she’s upset about

I (25f) am disturbed by my boyfriend's (25m) apathy towards global causes

quote:

On Friday I was cleaning through some draws and found an old notebook of my BF's. I flicked through it and he had written a list of every girl he had ever slept with. I try to be open minded but I hadn't expected it to be that long - worse was the fact that among the nationalities he had listed most if not all of them were women of color... Eritrean, Indian, Jordanian... it was five or so small pages full. I knew he had travelled a lot but I never realised he was this prolific.

The thing that really bugs me though is that he never cares about anything related to the Global South or anyone outside his little social bubble. During the BLM protests he stayed in bed playing some stupid Nintendo game. He hasn't taken *any* interest in Gaza despite having been to Palestine and according to his diary has dated at least one Palestinian. He isn't a bad person per se but he never understands why being apolitical and not voting when you are a conventionally attractive white guy with rich parents and a good job is less than the bare minimum. How can you have managed to see so much of the world and be so ignorant and just breeze through life never being stressed about anything. He does support LGBT rights but that is probably because his friend is gay

TL;DR: boyfriend has had a lot of relationships and experiences outside of the West and yet has developed no empathy for anyone outside his comfortable life whatsoever