Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Maybe the public domain was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

BiggestBatman posted:

Haven't thought this through yet but a modern civil war film that more or less adapts the actual US civil war with modern-ish tech

*middle aged dad leaning over and whispering to his wife in the movie theater* that's Joshua Lawrence chamberlain's downhill bayonet charge on the second day of the battle of Gettysburg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

claw game handjob posted:

He was a script punch-up guy for Ninja Theory for years. Once upon a time he was very open about that and then deleted the very candid posts he had written about working with them because he was going around talking immeasurable amounts of poo poo about the scriptwriter right before moving into screenplays. The line that's always stuck with me was "Tameem described [a Journey to the West analogue character] kicking a slave hanging on for dear life as a bad rear end act of a man who didn't care, whereas I just thought [character] sounded like a oval office."

Lmao I had no idea that was him

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

You know what?

Fine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"im so sick of superhero movies"

"okay fine ill watch the dogwelder movie"
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Dogwelder_(New_Earth)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's going to be so terrible and lazy and stupid.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The people making all that edgy Winnie the Pooh crap want people to laugh and make fun of how awful it is so it gets them some attention. Best to just not even acknowledge it exists.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

More like Pooniverse

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Srice posted:

The people making all that edgy Winnie the Pooh crap want people to laugh and make fun of how awful it is so it gets them some attention. Best to just not even acknowledge it exists.

Its just hacks doing the bare minimum to turn a profit. Its rampant through the horror/dtv world really. There are producers who have made a science of it. Hell, Roger Corman did.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drunkboxer posted:

This isn’t fair, every science fiction movie I’ve ever seen that touches on cell bio, genetics or whatever is total gibberish. I mean what are we even talking about here.

I was perplexed enough check an earlier draft of the screenplay to figure out what went wrong. The point of the scene, in the draft at least, is that the Natalie Portman character checks her blood and discovers that the ‘quantum shimmer’ that’s rearranging all the molecules inside the bubble is affecting her body as well. She looks at her blood, and the cells are shimmering too! Oh no!

(The characters probably should have assumed this was happening much earlier, but oh well.)

To illustrate this in the actual film, Portman examines her blood and it looks normal. Then a blood cell divides into two cells: one normal, and one shimmering. The trouble here is not only that blood cells don’t divide, but that the shimmer is all-pervasive within the bubble and operating at a sub-microscopic level. There wouldn’t be any visual distinction between the cells.

A little bit of magic is aight; the reason the characters don’t just immediately die is that the magic alien brain is somehow able to control the shimmer to produce only ‘beneficial’ mutations. So, sure, maybe what she’s seeing is just more bullshit magic - but it’s really poorly conveyed when compared to any old garbage Star Trek episode.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

. The trouble here is not only that blood cells don’t divide

Only terminally-differentiated blood cells don't divide. tbf, RBCs do make up about 99% of peripheral blood cells, but I don't know what blood volume fraction theyre testing in the movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

More like Pooniverse

More like-

oh that's what you meant by it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only terminally-differentiated blood cells don't divide. tbf, RBCs do make up about 99% of peripheral blood cells, but I don't know what blood volume fraction theyre testing in the movie.

The zone is really loving with them to make them divide, then also particularly hates certain blood cells also

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also the neutrinos have mutated

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's not what it's going for, thevpolitics are just a loose framework. The goal of the movie is to take the war imagery we've become innured to and present it in spaces and with people we associate with home. It's why the audience surrogate is a war journo.

Yeah, and if the loose framework has no place in reality, that imagery loses power.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's specifically a white blood cell and, unless I've been really misinformed, you wouldn't see any division outside a bone marrow sample or something.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't have a problem with weird fake science stuff as long as the film doesn't get worked up about it and act as though it's real. You have to do stuff that's "wrong", otherwise you'd be publishing in Nature not making a film, and if it's about advanced aliens it is reasonable for it to seem completely bizarre. How would a Roman experience a mobile phone, an MRI scan or the ISS?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It depends on how specific and real you get. I can't speak to bouncing graviton particle beams off the main deflector dish, but I know that if you're using comatose humans for their body heat, you could just burn whatever you're feeding them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's specifically a white blood cell and, unless I've been really misinformed, you wouldn't see any division outside a bone marrow sample or something.

If it was just a peripheral blood sample probably not, but could be a lymph node biopsy pretty easily I guess (I don't remember the film much). Or you could have dysregulated division if the subject had a mutation driving haematopoietic malignancy, or some weird poo poo that was being driven by alien goo. Idk, as a molecular biologist working in lymphoma/leukemias it doesn't really bump me that much

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

name post combo

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah you’re not wrong but like I was saying this kind of stuff is in literally everything and most of the time you don’t have magical reality bending alien energies at play so it’s a bit unfair to hold Annihilation up to this standard imo. I get way more annoyed at the way the entertainment industry depicts science as a profession than any specific pseudoscience they make up to fit a cool looking visual effect. I mean someone said Andromeda Strain was realistic and it depicts a bsl 4 lab equipped with anti-personnel lasers and a nuclear self destruct sequence.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Idk I think I was doing some pretty good imagineering there

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

It depends on how specific and real you get. I can't speak to bouncing graviton particle beams off the main deflector dish, but I know that if you're using comatose humans for their body heat, you could just burn whatever you're feeding them.

Morpheus was wrong

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah you’re not wrong but like I was saying this kind of stuff is in literally everything and most of the time you don’t have magical reality bending alien energies at play so it’s a bit unfair to hold Annihilation up to this standard imo. I get way more annoyed at the way the entertainment industry depicts science as a profession than any specific pseudoscience they make up to fit a cool looking visual effect. I mean someone said Andromeda Strain was realistic and it depicts a bsl 4 lab equipped with anti-personnel lasers and a nuclear self destruct sequence.

No, I was listing it as an example of a film where the science depicted isn't "totally silly nonsense". I'm not sayin The Andromeda Strain is a completely realistic movie, but it is way more grounded than most. Also you ignored my other suggestion which is even more realistic in its portrayal.

Also I dunno what else to tell you other than you just gotta turn off your brain sometimes for the sake of entertainment. I work in cybersecurity and I am not gonna go on a rant about how unrealistic my profession is depicted in media, lol.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sirotan posted:

No, I was listing it as an example of a film where the science depicted isn't "totally silly nonsense". I'm not sayin The Andromeda Strain is a completely realistic movie. Also you ignored my other suggestion which is even more realistic in its portrayal.

Also I dunno what else to tell you other than turn off your brain. I work in cybersecurity and I am not gonna go on a rant about how unrealistic my profession is depicted in media, lol.

Not specifically criticizing you or Andromeda Strain, sorry it probably sounds that way. I was just saying it’s not fair to criticize Annihilation for silly science crap because it’s so common.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

distortion park posted:

I don't have a problem with weird fake science stuff as long as the film doesn't get worked up about it and act as though it's real. You have to do stuff that's "wrong", otherwise you'd be publishing in Nature not making a film, and if it's about advanced aliens it is reasonable for it to seem completely bizarre. How would a Roman experience a mobile phone, an MRI scan or the ISS?

The Romans would make mostly the same shitposts that we do, based on the graffiti

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

annihilation is a movie that works on stuff like zombie bears screaming like humans being weird imagery. i'm willing to suspend disbelief to see cool poo poo in the crazy bubble for a couple of hours.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The novels are a real trip. Also, Jeff Vandermeer will reply to your emails in like 15 minutes if you have questions about them, which is very nice of him!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The original Annihilation novel is absolutely wild, but also completely unfilmable because it depends on the reader being stuck in the first-person POV of The Biologist and thus prevents you from seeing her actions from the perspective of everyone else on her team. Within the first few pages of the book some weird flower sprays her in the face, and from that point on her team starts acting really weird, abandons her, and later is trying to kill her. You're supposed to think she's keeping a rational mind in this alien space as her team goes insane around her, but if you read between the lines you can pick up that 1) She was actually a really lovely biologist, and 2) she's been transforming into a creature for most of the book and the rest of her team is trying to escape her and kill her.

EDIT: All of the woman sent on the team in the first novel (except for the team leader) were bad examples of their professions. Endless expeditions had been sent into the zone over the years, so the government ran out of elite minds willing to go in there long ago.

EDIT2: Back on topic. I too can not see what is supposed to be interesting about the Civil War movie. Despite it being made by someone whose movies I've enjoyed, and by a studio I tend to give a bit of trust to, not single moment of the trailer, or the countless reviews I've read indicate that it's a good movie. I lived in Europe for some years, and that quote from Garland sounds like the weird out-of-tune poo poo I'd hear from people whose entire experience of America is from pop culture and watching our TV shows.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 18, 2024

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whoa, I need to reread the first novel. I definitely took her perspective at face value and did not catch into her transforming but she did transform into the Chaos Whale Thing so maybe her outward appearance was already changing?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah you’re not wrong but like I was saying this kind of stuff is in literally everything and most of the time you don’t have magical reality bending alien energies at play so it’s a bit unfair to hold Annihilation up to this standard imo.

To be clear, the issue isn’t scientific (in)accuracy itself, but how Garland conveys (or, rather, fails to convey) information in a narrative. It happens to be sciencey stuff in this case, but it’s also his references to philosophy, literature, paintings, etc. Characters dump a bunch of unhelpful exposition, hyperlinks to Wikipedia articles, while the most basic events in the narrative are presented obtusely. He’s what Christopher Nolan gets accused of being (and is, at his worst - i.e. Tenet).

Annihilation and Ex Machina should be starkly contrasted with, say, Johnathan Glazer’s Under The Skin or Ridley Scott’s Prometheus - films that are unpretentiously ‘artsy’. Or, like, remember that movie Source Code? That’s the exact kinda movie Garland’s not great at making.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT2: Back on topic. I too can not see what is supposed to be interesting about the Civil War movie. Despite it being made by someone whose movies I've enjoyed, and by a studio I tend to give a bit of trust to, not single moment of the trailer, or the countless reviews I've read indicate that it's a good movie. I lived in Europe for some years, and that quote from Garland sounds like the weird out-of-tune poo poo I'd hear from people whose entire experience of America is from pop culture and watching our TV shows.

*smokes cigarettes akimbo held by index and middle fingers*

"euuuuh yore democrats, zey are like ze far right here no? Is like both sides of ze zame coin yes?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

To be clear, the issue isn’t scientific (in)accuracy itself, but how Garland conveys (or, rather, fails to convey) information in a narrative. It happens to be sciencey stuff in this case, but it’s also his references to philosophy, literature, paintings, etc. Characters dump a bunch of unhelpful exposition, hyperlinks to Wikipedia articles, while the most basic events in the narrative are presented obtusely. He’s what Christopher Nolan gets accused of being (and is, at his worst - i.e. Tenet).

Annihilation and Ex Machina should be starkly contrasted with, say, Johnathan Glazer’s Under The Skin or Ridley Scott’s Prometheus - films that are unpretentiously ‘artsy’. Or, like, remember that movie Source Code? That’s the exact kinda movie Garland’s not great at making.

I'm reminded of one guy who posted in a bitcoin thread, I think, who apparently came from some 'debate' forum and regularly posted paragraphs copy-pasted from random writers in response to arguments, and seemed downright confused that people were confused and not impressed by this. Like realising goons were a lot further to the left than him and quoting random paragraphs of Marx in response.

Pseudo-intellectualism is NOT limited to the right, nor to the cultural fringes. A lot of wealthy, prominent and even powerful people think being 'artsy' literally just means vaguely waving around 'intellectual' status symbols and making basic things deliberately obtuse, and don't even understand the idea that they should try to have a statement or an allegory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To be clear, the issue isn’t scientific (in)accuracy itself, but how Garland conveys (or, rather, fails to convey) information in a narrative. It happens to be sciencey stuff in this case, but it’s also his references to philosophy, literature, paintings, etc. Characters dump a bunch of unhelpful exposition, hyperlinks to Wikipedia articles, while the most basic events in the narrative are presented obtusely.

It's not his fault you never updated your selectors

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

Given the surprisingly positive reviews from SXSW I have to wonder if the movie is being done no favors by A24's marketing strategy of "WITNESS THE BRILLIANT WORLDBUILDING OF ALEX GARLAND" and it's not actually very important in the film itself.

At this point I've learned better than to question A24's marketing instincts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It seems like we may have a new Bond

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1770065456260403289?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Elizabeth Olsen as Moneypenny, Anya Taylor Joy as evil counter-agent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's a great choice tbh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he can't be bond

he's going to be the new king once charles kicks it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

Elizabeth Olsen as Moneypenny, Anya Taylor Joy as evil counter-agent.

Aaronya Taylor Joyson