Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
the hosed up thing is that they're both having a good time

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

D&D has been a copy of a copy of a copy of itself for a while now, separate from any sort of progenitor source material or genre emulation or context. D&D is shaped like itself, and the CR fandom is a prime example of the phenomenon

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You don’t have to like CR to enjoy TTRPGs any more than you have to like the NBA to enjoy playing pickup basketball at your local park.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It feels like there are a couple of ways Daggerheart could end up going:

- They play it on stream regularly and strip away anything that gets in the way of making successful AP streams. We end up with something quite unique because I don't think anyone has made a game where being stream-friendly is the main goal

- They play it on stream regularly and ignore all the rules that get in the way of making a successful stream, just like they do with 5E. All those rules stay in the game anyway because that's just how RPGs are made, gotta have something for everyone

Unfortunately it currently looks a lot closer to option 2 right now but I'm not going to write it off just yet. I have no idea how they're going to get useful playtest feedback though, that's one area where cultivating a parasocial fan base won't help one bit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
An interesting point I found in my Twitter dive I mentioned before: https://twitter.com/AdamBlumenau/status/1768261724665254102

https://twitter.com/AdamBlumenau/status/1768262357740843315

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 18, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Snooty storygamerposting about how someone is only enjoying tradgames because they're stupid or ignorant or are only playing it because it's popular is always hilarious.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tarnop posted:

I don't think anyone has made a game where being stream-friendly is the main goal

I was under the impression that this was a stated goal for “Quest”. But I haven’t heard any information that suggests this was successful in the least.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Megazver posted:

Snooty storygamerposting about how someone is only enjoying tradgames because they're stupid or ignorant or are only playing it because it's popular is always hilarious.

As a self-proclaimed game snob, I finished running a 5e game a few months ago and recently started playing through a Curse of Straad campaign. As much fun as it is to argue about 5e being the devil and such, at the end of the day, I like my friends and enjoy playing with them, and adding friction to the already difficult task of organizing adults lives around a weekend game is rarely worth it.

(I also got a group to start an Eternal Lies game that they are really digging, so, you know, persistence pays off!)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Megazver posted:

i think you're inventing people to post about

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Wanting to ditch initiative to avoid an exciting duel between a PC and NPC having its momentum ruined by a 5 minute delay between swings is not purely a streaming goal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

Wanting to ditch initiative to avoid an exciting duel between a PC and NPC having its momentum ruined by a 5 minute delay between swings is not purely a streaming goal.

Yup

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's kinda funny that we're having to relitigate PBTA-style initiative, except with the added 2024 conspiracism that this was only done in order to allow the group to keep handing initiative to a "star player", because Daggerheart is going to be used for shows.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

DTAS is about how ability scores in D&D 3.x+ (and related systems) interfere with the other better options already in the game. Everything they theoretically bring to the table is already covered by other existing character creation package deals and customisation options. Hence death to ability scores - just put them out of our misery and we can almost immediately move on.

Oh, then I used the DTAS term in the way I intended to mean it, because that's what I meant.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ominous Jazz posted:

the hosed up thing is that they're both having a good time

That's the opposite of hosed up!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

Can anyone think of games with dice trick-taking/pool manipulation/poker dice mechanics like the ones found in Kamigakari (which has you roll a d6 Spirit pool at the start of each session, which can then be either swapped with d6 from skill rolls to get the result you want, or used in specific combinations to pay power activation costs, meaning it's in your interest to frequently swap dice into your Spirit pool to get odds/evens/doubles/steps/specific values based on what powers you want to use) or the Japanese Dark Souls RPG (which gives you a Stamina pool that has to be split between Action dice rolled at the start of your turn and Reaction dice kept in reserve to dodge/parry, with actions costing a minimum die value/a number of dice/any doubles)?

I've not seen these in any games I can think of outside of Japanese RPGs, and they're fun.

Shadowrun second edition has dice pools like you mentioned. They mostly used for augmenting your offense, defense, or to try the rare action of dodging bullets.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Another interesting Twitter thread on Daggerheart:

https://twitter.com/HeadOfTheGoat/status/1768336101700206753

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m not making an X account to read it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

whydirt posted:

If you want the teal deer version:

https://twitter.com/HeadOfTheGoat/status/1768403685007040522

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Sounds like it’s a City Of Mist-alike attempt to get the best of two games while ignoring the tradeoffs involved in the designs.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I don't think it sounds that bad

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Silver2195 posted:

Another interesting Twitter thread on Daggerheart:

https://twitter.com/HeadOfTheGoat/status/1768336101700206753

I’m het up about some unrelated stuff, so I’ll try to be as charitable as possible here.

For someone whose conclusions I largely agree with, I must say, I’ve never been so irritated by a person’s tone before.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DalaranJ posted:

I’m het up about some unrelated stuff, so I’ll try to be as charitable as possible here.

For someone whose conclusions I largely agree with, I must say, I’ve never been so irritated by a person’s tone before.

based on their website in the twitter profile (and the ideas in the thread itself), this is an OSR person so if you think some takes are weird, they're probably coming from that particular perspective

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 18, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DalaranJ posted:

Seems fine to me fwiw. It's a really good close reading, and goddam i really don't want to play this lol.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It was irritating to read, but that was entirely because of the decision to present a long essay in the form of a linked series of 100 tweets.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Covok posted:

Anyone else ever feel weird being in TRPGs nowadays and just not giving a single gently caress about Critical Role?

on the flip side, the friend of mine who spent years asking me to get into critical role has never once in his entire life even touched a d20 before

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't think it sounds that bad

Daggerheart isn't that bad at all. It's not the second coming, but it doesn't suck either. It's a good game with some interesting ideas, but I don't think I'll run it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Sometimes a "tension" between two mechanics is actually the player having to make a choice.

In Blades in the Dark there's a "tension" between going as hard as you can during heists, and doing stuff on your downtime actions in between. Pushing yourself to the limit on a heist improves your odds of success and can net you more XP (if you're making a lot of moves from risky positions) but builds up stress that has to be purged during the downtime phase. Stress purging takes up your downtime actions, so you don't get to dive into all the cool base building and long term projects with the rest of the team.

But that's what being a super criminal is like. You're playing someone who can't just be normal in your offtime, you're stuck in a boom-bust cycle of covert operations, recovering from covert operations by indulging your vices, and getting excited for the next covert operation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Please I'm begging you, if you're posting a tweet that's more than one tweet, don't. Either run it through one of those threading apps or just paste the words or something. Massive tweet essays have gone from virtually unreadable to literally unreadable if you're not logged in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mellonbread posted:

Sometimes a "tension" between two mechanics is actually the player having to make a choice.

In Blades in the Dark there's a "tension" between going as hard as you can during heists, and doing stuff on your downtime actions in between. Pushing yourself to the limit on a heist improves your odds of success and can net you more XP (if you're making a lot of moves from risky positions) but builds up stress that has to be purged during the downtime phase. Stress purging takes up your downtime actions, so you don't get to dive into all the cool base building and long term projects with the rest of the team.

But that's what being a super criminal is like. You're playing someone who can't just be normal in your offtime, you're stuck in a boom-bust cycle of covert operations, recovering from covert operations by indulging your vices, and getting excited for the next covert operation.
Based on the tl;dr tweet that's not the kind of tension they mean.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I disagree strongly with the idea that it codifies anything about Apocalypse World's GMing rules. It presents them as a wooly grab bag of options that you should discard if reading them makes you feel bad

whydirt posted:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1768336101700206753.html

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tarnop posted:

I disagree strongly with the idea that it codifies anything about Apocalypse World's GMing rules. It presents them as a wooly grab bag of options that you should discard if reading them makes you feel bad

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1768336101700206753.html

This makes me irrationally angry. The whole point about the AW GM rules is that they're not optional.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That thread would be a quarter as long if the author didn't go:

- Ooh here's a new word, wonder what that could be? Maybe it's X or Y or Z
- Oh I actually read a page or two ahead and it turns out it's Y, wow I really thought it could have been X or Z

For 3 out of every 4 tweets. At least I had the decency to read the whole book before I hit post :colbert:

e: the "who the gently caress is this actually for" section at the end is good

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 18, 2024

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

this game is dumb. making a critical role rpg is dumb. what we actually need is an Oglaf rpg

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

roll Wherewithal to solve her puzzle vagina

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

every RPG is an Oglaf RPG if you’re horny enough

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

EightFlyingCars posted:

this game is dumb. making a critical role rpg is dumb. what we actually need is an Oglaf rpg

Two stats, honor and other honor

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
After the weird voight-kampff micro rpg thing, I don’t even know what I want in ttrpgs anymore. The communities of each kind of rpg are awful, I’m too old to care about voice actors playing a game together, and I’m boring.

Guess I’ll just go play Strategos or Kriegspiel and wax philosophically about the emotion of war.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PuttyKnife posted:

After the weird voight-kampff micro rpg thing, I don’t even know what I want in ttrpgs anymore. The communities of each kind of rpg are awful, I’m too old to care about voice actors playing a game together, and I’m boring.

Guess I’ll just go play Strategos or Kriegspiel and wax philosophically about the emotion of war.
Have you considered getting really into a niche aspect of WW2?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nessus posted:

Have you considered getting really into a niche aspect of WW2?
Becoming known in your extended friend group as "the fallshcirmjager guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's kinda funny that we're having to relitigate PBTA-style initiative, except with the added 2024 conspiracism that this was only done in order to allow the group to keep handing initiative to a "star player", because Daggerheart is going to be used for shows.

Apocalypse World lays out a nice "what to do in case of PvP" section, which takes very little imagination to apply to any kind of high-stakes scenario:

quote:

First of all, emphasize that we have rules for this and we're going to follow them. When it turns to PC vs PC, everybody wants to start shouting all at once and race to be the first to roll their dice, and that's no good.

Then go around the table to find out what everybody's going to do, but have them hold onto their dice. Don't let them roll yet. Everybody gets a turn to say what they're doing, and they can change their mind if they need to, and nothing happens until everyone's had their say. Include your NPCs.

Once you know what everyone's going to do, have them roll dice in the order that makes sense to you, taking turns or rolling simultaneously as you think best, always following the logic of the moves themselves.

Sometimes a character's action won't count as a move. That's okay. Don't have the player roll, just acknowledge what they do and say what comes of it or how it affects everyone else's actions.

Sometimes a character's action counts as more than one move. That's okay. Have the player roll them all, in the order that makes sense to you.

After everyone's done what they're going to do, and you've resolved everyone's actions and overseen everyone's moves, sum up how the situation has changed. If it's resolved, move on. If it hasn't, go around again, having everyone say what they're going to do and hold onto their dice until you're ready to have them roll.

And honestly that's really the form the game takes all the time, just when it's not as high a stakes situation you don't as dlilgently ask people explicitly if they just want to chill while somebody else takes the lead.