Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

12 airstrikes would be very cool and good and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I already only need 1 clusterbomb to wipe the team though

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
but wiping the team with 12 cluster bombs would be cooler.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

well that does look an awful lot more effective than what i was doing. "use the flamethrower like a gun, ignore the fire effects" seems silly but ok sure i'll try that

The flames on the ground are for you and your teammates :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has probably been said in the first few weeks of the game but the loading screens being hidden by your initial planetfall is such a brilliant idea and it looks so goddamn cool when you see other Helldiver teams getting launched from nearby destroyers on your way down.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
To whoever said "try a SPEAR against Automatons"...thank you. All my teammates were doing a great job cleaning up the trash but I was able to quickly wipe the Strategem Jammer, turrets, and several stray factories that survived Orbital Bombardments. I may have not had the most kills but I made a big difference.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arc Hammer posted:

Has probably been said in the first few weeks of the game but the loading screens being hidden by your initial planetfall is such a brilliant idea and it looks so goddamn cool when you see other Helldiver teams getting launched from nearby destroyers on your way down.

When Dark Tide came out I said "why don't you just walk through an air lock into the drop ship, then it rumbles while the briefing plays, then the ramp drops and you're there. It's all loading screens but you wouldn't 'break character' in the game".

And now Hell Divers does it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

well that does look an awful lot more effective than what i was doing. "use the flamethrower like a gun, ignore the fire effects" seems silly but ok sure i'll try that

It's one of the more bizarro things in a game where shotguns behave like shotguns instead of video game shotguns, but their flamethrower is more 'stream of burning gas' than 'stream of burning liquid.'

As a flamethrower main, however, I can assure you it puts in work. I can clean up a conga line following my friend, burn most of what comes out of a breach, effectively lock down ramps and chokes to anything that isn't a bile spewer or charger...

The bigger bugs do require special consideration.

1. Bile Spewers will win the DPS race, so use your grenades/Slugger to the face to deal with them.
2. Chargers you need to hunt down one-on-one. Your TTK isn't high enough to kill them before they run you over, but they're also pretty trivial to matador and focus down one leg with the fire stream. The EAT does the job better now, but you're still relevant and when someone is pointing out a Charger you can absolutely walk over and take care of it.
3. Stalkers, like Chargers, are too fast and aggressive to reliably kill with the flamethrower; stick to the Slugger for these.
4. Bile Titans are a class of their own, don't bother.

Reading the past few pages, I think a lot of the 'flamethrower bad' comments come from expecting the secondary effects (the DOT and the burning ground) to do the work. Those are just a bonus. They'll probably finish off smaller bugs that escape the death plume, but it's the cone of fire that's doing the damage. Anything in that cone is effectively dead as long as you keep holding down the trigger and backing up/side stepping as necessary.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did stalkers get softer within the last couple weeks? Seems like it was taking waaaaay less work to knock them down last night. A pleasant surprise, made them a lot more manageable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To whoever said "try a SPEAR against Automatons"...thank you. All my teammates were doing a great job cleaning up the trash but I was able to quickly wipe the Strategem Jammer, turrets, and several stray factories that survived Orbital Bombardments. I may have not had the most kills but I made a big difference.

Oh you can just take out the jammer from a distance? Any specific spots? What kinda weapons are necessary?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bad Munki posted:

Did stalkers get softer within the last couple weeks? Seems like it was taking waaaaay less work to knock them down last night. A pleasant surprise, made them a lot more manageable.
I think the abundance of Sickles has made stalkers much less scary. They absorbed a lot of ammo but now you just cool down between each wave.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

LazyMaybe posted:

Try the grenade launcher if you haven't. It kills the same targets effectively as the autocannon with somewhat different upsides and downsides-most notably, it has less total ammo but leaves the backpack slot free.

I just enjoy the range and simple point-and-shoot of the AC more than the GL. And I've become so used to my trio of stratagems that I abhor taking up a slot for a backpack even though I've definitely enjoyed having the shield on.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Oh you can just take out the jammer from a distance? Any specific spots? What kinda weapons are necessary?

I never thought about using it on jammers, but this has my attention. I really want to pay my respects to St. Javalin, but she just feels a bit too weak for the fiddly lock-on and ammo constraint.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sindai posted:

I think the abundance of Sickles has made stalkers much less scary. They absorbed a lot of ammo but now you just cool down between each wave.
I would much rather have a punisher or breaker than a sickle when stalkers are on the map.
They don't actually take that much ammo if you're hitting their head, and those shotties are the best "get the gently caress off me" option we have.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

jokes posted:

There is a factory adjacent to the jammer that if you blow up you also take out the jammer. There is literally no reason to run up and use the console. I autocannon that bitch or run by throw a grenade.

Bad Munki posted:

RNG/server latency issues probably. Stalkers die fast if you headshot them but I've had instances where despite shooting dead center their gangly rear end limbs eat the shots or theres enough lag that I'm hitting right off center of the head and they live way too long. Then theres those moments where you slugger them dead center and they insta-drop or I can take out 1 quick with barely half a redeemer mag.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 18, 2024

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
i could have sworn i've encountered jammers with no factory and only a console

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah the one with the factory is the good layout but sometimes you don't get it unfortunately. Something similar can happen with the detector tower as well

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Ciaphas posted:

is there much that the GL can't handle but the AC can? all I can think of offhand is bile titans and the largest bots

I answered this with a joke last night but now I'm actually curious, can a grenade launcher damage tanks on the back exhaust vent between the treads? I don't actually know if it's higher armor than the turret heat vent or just higher health or what, but I like the option when the turret isn't cooperating.

https://i.imgur.com/bfoIVHH.mp4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7347705914276826410

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

How are people blowing up the jamming towers without the terminal or strategems? Pubbies keep wiping it out while I'm climbing the hill to the terminal and I miss how they're pulling it off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm beginning to get a bit disenchanted with the game. I mostly play in a duo and we've been making our way up the difficulty levels, but the last few days it feels like there's just always a random spike in terms of spawn numbers or insane accuracy/clairvoyance from the robots. So we can't get the super samples because the mission just goes insane out of the blue. Or we're spawning in range of enemy mortars or whatever and getting pasted at the start.

And the more weapons I unlock the less I feel like there's a point to unlocking more because they are, mostly, wank. There's no excitement or anticipation for the new toy when all the toys are on a par with, or worse than, the assault rifle I started the game with.

In addition to all that, I feel like there are more bugs now than when I started weeks ago.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Riatsala posted:

How are people blowing up the jamming towers without the terminal or strategems? Pubbies keep wiping it out while I'm climbing the hill to the terminal and I miss how they're pulling it off.

an autocannon can drop them pretty easily iirc, so i think Spears and other explosives can do the job.

edit: i thought you meant illegal broadcast, sorry

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Riatsala posted:

Sometimes instead of a terminal, there's a fabricator right at the base of the tower. Blow it up and the tower goes with it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Riatsala posted:

LazyMaybe posted:

Sometimes instead of a terminal, there's a fabricator right at the base of the tower. Blow it up and the tower goes with it.

This but the terminal will still be there, its not either or AFAIK - I havent seen the fab-less jammer, but apparently you can get 1 with just a terminal. Or terminal+fabs. I've had layouts with 2 fabs but only the 1 right at the base will blow up the tower.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ended up on a run that happened to have a Shrieker nest. The flyers weren't very interesting and not a huge threat (nowhere near the danger level of Stalkers at least), although I did die to one dive bombing me, but they're otherwise effectively regular trash mobs that are a little harder to hit. When you approach the nests you also get a Hellbomb prompt if you can't blow them up normally. Not sure if they can be blown up with small arms like Spore towers or what.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 18, 2024

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Spanish Manlove posted:

The orbital cluster barrage is probably the most newbie friendly strat in the game thanks to its input

-> -> ->

Can confirm, panic mashing ctrl DDD and throwing it at your feet while fleeing for your life from ten thousand jumpy fuckers saved my rear end more times than I could count the first few times I played on 7+.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

couple questions:
1. what level is doing challenging missions viable? i'm almost at 20 so i should be able to do them with teams right?
2. i haven't bought any of the weapons that look like you need another teammate to help load/fire like recoiless rifle... do those weapons actually need 2 people?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

in the equipment select screen you can tab back to the mission info. on a PS5 you hit L1.

yeah to be clear i can do this when i jump into a mission that's just starting but anything "in progress" its no longer available to view.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Can confirm, panic mashing ctrl DDD and throwing it at your feet while fleeing for your life from ten thousand jumpy fuckers saved my rear end more times than I could count the first few times I played on 7+.

It really shows I do not use eagle cluster bomb much when my reaction is "Wait, hold on. Eagle cluster and airburst have the same loving Dx3 input!?"

EDIT: Oh they said orbital cluster :downs:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Strong Sauce posted:

couple questions:
1. what level is doing challenging missions viable? i'm almost at 20 so i should be able to do them with teams right?
2. i haven't bought any of the weapons that look like you need another teammate to help load/fire like recoiless rifle... do those weapons actually need 2 people?

You should be good for challenging, yeah. RR/AC users can reload using their own backpack and in most cases is actually far easier to do this since you don't have to have someone chasing you around everywhere. The description definitely doesn't make it sound like this is possible but it is.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

novaSphere posted:

DISSIDENT PROPAGANDA

MODS?!?

(this looks pretty cool and is the perfect way to introduce new enemies)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

explosivo posted:

You should be good for challenging, yeah. RR/AC users can reload using their own backpack and in most cases is actually far easier to do this since you don't have to have someone chasing you around everywhere. The description definitely doesn't make it sound like this is possible but it is.

thanks ill try some of this tonight

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

When you summon the strategem, the pod contains both the weapon and the ammo backpack as separate items. The weapon takes up your support weapon slot, the backpack occupies the backpack slot. The same player can carry both the weapon and backpack if the slots are available, or they can be split up and/or passed around individually.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I don’t like how quitting the game just makes my fans go crazy and locks up my computer.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Anyone tried deliberately shooting stalkers in the legs? I haven't tested it much but it kind of seems to work decently (killed this one in 3 shots, then wasted 2 more because I didn't think it would be dead yet)

https://i.imgur.com/aqxmwLg.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hard to tell which hitzone exactly your pellets are hitting it there with that shotgun.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe it's bad luck, but I was trying some challenging raids this morning and everyone just went for all the insect dens and ignored the objectives entirely. Just before running out of time they'd all leave the game. What's the point of doing this? You don't get any rare materials or anything, and it's frustrating for me wondering wtf is going on between medium and challenging difficulty.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Black Noise posted:

I don’t like how quitting the game just makes my fans go crazy and locks up my computer.

idk poo poo about computers at all, but I've read that there is, or at least was, no fps limit on some things like loading screens, which would make people's computers go bananas, roaring fans etc. maybe setting a limit in your graphics card settings will help?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BitBasher posted:

My loadout lately is Slugger, redeemer and plain Jane default grenades.

Strategems are ARC, EAT, Rover(Or shield) and Orbital Railgun or Eagle Airstrike in the 4th slot. Yes, I being two secondaries.

The Slugger compliments the Arc really well and allows me to murder Spewers and Nurses, if you get jumped at close range that's what the Redeemer is for. I haven't found anything that comes close to massacring numbers as the Arc.

The Rover isn't there to kill bugs, although it does that, it's an early warning system. The Arc is great at murdering all the small and medium bugs in the world that I am facing so when the Rover starts shooting behind me or to a side I know to look and not get blindsided. It also makes it easier to retreat because it kills followers.

Just drop EATs all the time and swap to them and pick the Arc back up as needed. I find that's more useful than bringing 110s or other strategem for heavies, because you pretty much always have EATs handy.

that's pretty much my loadout for bugs and it owns. I usually run arc, EAT, eagle air strike and rover. Lately I've been running the scorcher a lot and it owns. the only time when it's really bad is when bugs get up in your face. then you gotta switch to the uzi.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I'm in love with a beautiful girl named "Stalwart/Rover/Scorcher swarm control build"

Philthy posted:

Maybe it's bad luck, but I was trying some challenging raids this morning and everyone just went for all the insect dens and ignored the objectives entirely. Just before running out of time they'd all leave the game. What's the point of doing this? You don't get any rare materials or anything, and it's frustrating for me wondering wtf is going on between medium and challenging difficulty.
Not to say that the random players in question aren't dogshit(they probably are), but it should definitely be possible to wipe out all the nests and also do the primary objective before leaving.
Obviously the way the other teammates play contributes to this, but you may want to consider hitting the bricks(running away) when it seems like you're fighting an intractable "breaches keep getting triggered" type swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I really cannot acclimate to the damage feedback of bot missions. With bugs, you get white rims and grunts for minor hits and red rims / screams when you’ve really gotta stim out. That’s all lost against bots — I’m seeing red and having my aim rocked with seemingly chip damage, less than the little bug runts would inflict