Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That looks kickin rad :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lux Anima posted:

Yes, there's a good reason: every day is a miracle, and today is no different! :nyan:

Yesterday, a shiny lady-Smeargle was just hanging out at one of the black tera raid crystals I was checking on for a 10min session of gameplay before midnight.

I suppose she wanted to paint me something super-kewl and knew just where she could find me! :syoon:

:imunfunny: (she learned Spore :tootzzz:)

This kicks rear end

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just a random thought I got, why does Amnesia cause you to improve your defense? I know the moves don't all make sense but this one is confusing...

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/abcboy101/status/1768543417833845192

I really wish this was the opening for North America and Europe.

Ulio posted:

Just a random thought I got, why does Amnesia cause you to improve your defense? I know the moves don't all make sense but this one is confusing...

I guess the idea is that the move makes the user forget about their worries, trauma, and mental burdens, which would make them more mentally capable of taking on psychic, and by extension, special damage.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don’t understand the logic of calling it Pokémon Horizons: The Series, when there is no other “Horizons” that it’s a series of. Like calling it Pokémon Red Version: The Game. It’s so clunky.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

galagazombie posted:

I don’t understand the logic of calling it Pokémon Horizons: The Series, when there is no other “Horizons” that it’s a series of. Like calling it Pokémon Red Version: The Game. It’s so clunky.

I'd guess the logic is "we put The Series in the name of every TV show so people don't mistake it for a new game."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did they call the last one Pokemon Journeys: The Series in the US?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yup, it's pokemon journeys the series, I think they went back and gave every old show a new subtitle and the series

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Japanese version has been giving titles for each chapter. First it was "Liko and Roy's Departure", then we're about the reach the conclusion of "The Sparkling of Terapagos" and heading into "Terastal Debut".

I'm not sure what the English dub will do though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

The Japanese version has been giving titles for each chapter. First it was "Liko and Roy's Departure", then we're about the reach the conclusion of "The Sparkling of Terapagos" and heading into "Terastal Debut".

I'm not sure what the English dub will do though.

In the past the dub's split each series into multiple seasons with its own subtitle (Johto Journeys, Master Quest, etc) so they'll probably do something similar here.

They usually keep the title cards however so maybe they'll keep the chapter names as well

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/serebiinet/status/1769502076726382851?t=_kjpabmqSTcKMe-N1aFp_A

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

If this Iron Hands doesn't use Belly Drum turn 1, I'm going to revolt.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Just curious, do most people still hate sword and shield? While Scarlet and Violet have their flaws, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mentioning preferring Sword and Shield, even with the reasoning of, “at least they loving work”.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The man called M posted:

Just curious, do most people still hate sword and shield? While Scarlet and Violet have their flaws, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mentioning preferring Sword and Shield, even with the reasoning of, “at least they loving work”.

I prefer a lot of little things about Sword and Shield - the presentation feels more polished and the vibrant colors really pop compared to Scarlet/Violet's washed out palette. The stadium battles ruled. I liked the passive EV training jobs for convenience. But yeah Scarlet/Violet is still the better game overall even if it is very rough around the edges.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The man called M posted:

There's ought to be someone like that, but those games were so undercooked they feel like going from Kalos to Alola and then decide Kalos was better, ya know, their very first attempt at a 3D engine which came with tons of missed opportunities and cut content.

Not counting DLC for either, SwSh just has a lot less to do than SV in their base games, even if it turns out SwSh at least had a battle facility thingy.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The man called M posted:

The only thing that folks disliked about SwSh that was actually improved in SV is the character writing. The new gimmick is almost as hilariously broken as Dynamax, Dexit continues, the main endgame mechanic is still quarter-baked multiplayer raids with awful netcode, the battles are almost meaninglessly easy, you can technically get apriballs but it's a huge pain in the rear end.

The places where SwSh is unequivocally better are 1. fashion, 2. graphics (technically, lol), and 3. letting you hunt for shiny legendaries if that's your bag.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

At this point, Dexit's no longer a huge dealbreaker as it once was since between Sword and Shield, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, Legends Arceus and now Scarlet and Violet, almost every Pokemon is at least usable. However it still stings if your favorites can't all be in one game together.

Game Freak is also trying something where the previous generation on the same console isn't immediately made obsolete by the next set of games. If only where getting certain Pokemon or Pokemon forms are concerned. Want to use a standard Ursaluna in a game with a competitive format? You'll need several games and Pokemon Home. Kinda scummy for consumer, but it makes an interesting experience.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
At least Sword/Shield doesn't feel as fuckin' empty as Scarlet/Violet. Some of the things SV did were clever, like the Pokemart/center being a kiosk instead of a building, but then splitting all these different items between a series of stores and restaurants is irritating as hell, and each store is just a glorified menu, and I hate these things so much I'll never stop complaining about them. I legitimately don't even give a poo poo about the subpar graphics: I've still been playing a lot of Cassette Beasts in all its pixel art glory and am constantly thinking to myself how much of a better experience the traversing the world aspect is.

That's something that'll be interesting about this upcoming Legends one: it's set in a city so how "fake" it feels will live and die on the amount of NPCs they can have walking around without the graphics going to hell, and being able to actually go inside some/most buildings. e: And if they need to introduce loading screens to make this happen, for gently caress's sake please do it. After spending way too long in the sprawling barely-populated world of S/V with its grand total of like 10 buildings you can go inside, I'm cool with loading screens between areas.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 18, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The dream: Night City
The expecation: Starfield "Cities"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Give me a standalone Pokepelago game based on Animal Crossing, starring my friends from Pokemon Home. Is that so much to ask?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

People forget just how badly the wild area ran at launch.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Give me a standalone Pokepelago game based on Animal Crossing, starring my friends from Pokemon Home. Is that so much to ask?

*nodding* put home support in pokemon sleep

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

People forgot about My Pokemon Ranch and how poorly received it was. It didn't even get the Platinum update outside of Japan.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i've still got pokemon trapped in there

i don't even know which of my wiis it's on

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

People forgot about My Pokemon Ranch and how poorly received it was. It didn't even get the Platinum update outside of Japan.

Huh, never heard of this, what didn't people like abou--

Bulbapedia posted:

is not considered a game, but rather an accessory for owners of Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It was developed by Ambrella and could be purchased for 1,000 Wii Points. Pokémon can be transferred from Diamond and Pearl and stored on a farm. The player can use up to 8 Diamond and Pearl games to send their Pokémon, which then can be organized in the ranch by factors like height and weight. Players can sort, take pictures, and interact with up to 1,000 of their Pokémon.

lol that is the most Pokemon Company thing imaginable

e: also, presaging Pokemon Home, you had to have TWO Nintendo systems to even use it. I never had a DS and a Wii at the same time. Lmao.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 18, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it was cute and nice but also too expensive

you could also get a few legendaries from it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I was wondering if Ranch was the one with the integration with these honestly really ugly dodecahedron toys, but that was Rumble by the same developer which used the same ugly artstyle :psyduck: .

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 18, 2024

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Yeah those very low poly models were originally designed for My Pokemon Ranch where they sort of fit with the aesthetic and could believably interact with Mii characters. After that they ended up being reused for Pokemon Rumble and got a rebrand as "Toy Pokemon".

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

they’re cute. also Tera is the best battle-gimmick so far and I hope they contrive a reason to stick with it, at least for gen 5 remakes if not for gen 10

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

they’re cute. also Tera is the best battle-gimmick so far and I hope they contrive a reason to stick with it, at least for gen 5 remakes if not for gen 10

Agreed. Megas were awesome, but not having them for everyone was obviously suboptimal. Z-moves were boring as gently caress in comparison. I dug dynamax well enough even though the move pool was so limited.

Tera though, tera is the best thing to happen to pokemon since the last time the type chart was expanded.

Its also the most pro-kid concept ever. My kids are always blabbering on about how they wanted some mon to have three types. Well guess what kiddo, we can go change his tera type right now. ‘Dad-flex’

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Diet Poison posted:

That's something that'll be interesting about this upcoming Legends one: it's set in a city so how "fake" it feels will live and die on the amount of NPCs they can have walking around without the graphics going to hell, and being able to actually go inside some/most buildings. e: And if they need to introduce loading screens to make this happen, for gently caress's sake please do it. After spending way too long in the sprawling barely-populated world of S/V with its grand total of like 10 buildings you can go inside, I'm cool with loading screens between areas.

It's actually going to be a Pokemon Sim City. You will build up Lumiose using strong Fighting-type pokemon to build buildings, Electric- and Water-types to provide power and water, Poison-types for sewerage, Grass-types to create parks etc. Then when you get bored you can summon disasters to destroy the city (a rampaging Tyranitar, a Kyogre causing flooding, a Porygon-Z infects the nuclear power station and makes it melt down and so on)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Pokemon Ranch was how I got my first Mew. It was the only way to get a legitimate one at the time.

I really like Tera battles and the fact that they keep coming out with special Pokemon for new raids keeps me coming back to the game. The "gotta catch 'em all" part of my brain wants to have all the Mightiest Mark Pokemon. I've spent a lot of time shiny hunting too since it's so much easier now than it used to be. We've come a long way from chaining ponyta in a sandstorm in Platinum.

I love ScarVio, but it does have faults. Lack of fashion, needing to drive all around the city to find a store with the ingredients you need, or a hat you like, and not being able to go inside most buildings. Going into random people's houses and looking in their trash cans for leftovers is a Pokemon tradition, godammit! Also, the Pokemon gyms are really lacking. I want a cool interior and not just an outdoor arena.

SwoShi has great fashion and really nice looking cities and towns and lots of buildings to go in. The doubles tournament you get at the end is pretty fun. But it's still the overall weakest entry in the series in my opinion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hammerite posted:

It's actually going to be a Pokemon Sim City. You will build up Lumiose using strong Fighting-type pokemon to build buildings, Electric- and Water-types to provide power and water, Poison-types for sewerage, Grass-types to create parks etc. Then when you get bored you can summon disasters to destroy the city (a rampaging Tyranitar, a Kyogre causing flooding, a Porygon-Z infects the nuclear power station and makes it melt down and so on)

Fighting types don’t build cities they just tamp the ground down so you can build on top of it :cmon:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Arivia posted:

Fighting types don’t build cities they just tamp the ground down so you can build on top of it :cmon:

Conkeldurr taught humans how to make and build with concrete as well as working construction sites to assist with stability and architecture.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Arivia posted:

Please. Five games and that lot in Vermilion is still empty. It’s obviously a tax scheme.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Unbound posted:

Conkeldurr taught humans how to make and build with concrete as well as working construction sites to assist with stability and architecture.

Oh! I did not know about this Pokemon like that, that’s pretty neat. Okay my joke was still funny but the original point was valid.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Arivia posted:

Oh! I did not know about this Pokemon like that, that’s pretty neat. Okay my joke was still funny but the original point was valid.

Tbh, i didn't either until i was like "There has to be one! Let me nerd about it!"

I do like your Vermillion City joke though.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I'm one of the few that prefer Sword/Shield to Scarlet/Violet. I spent more time breeding and battling online in Sw/Sh than Scar/Viol after beating the campaign. Granted I'm really casual in my play but Scar/Viol are so janky from the go as soon as I beat the campaign I put it down. I also hate the terastalizing mechanic and while dynamwxing isn't as great as megas I prefer it over teras. I tried to pick it up a few weeks ago but after ten minutes I conclusively decided that I hate it and will never play it again.

I'd replay Sw/Sh if I hadn't gifted it to my godson.

Honestly the latest games have killed a lot of my enthusiasm for Pokemon and I'll be doing way more research on the next games before I decide to buy them because my confidence in my enjoyment in them is the lowest it's ever been.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I'm only just realizing that the SV auto-battle thing is essentially a barebones implementation of Pikmin.

Give me Poke-Pikmin.