Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also a lot of crashing today. played four games, two of them crashed before the end. the last mission I did today was going really well, and then suddenly two people dropped. I was like hmm that's weird why would they ... oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

When multiple people abruptly leave the game at once I assume I'm about to see "Network error" and get booted back to the ship.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Basic Chunnel posted:

I really cannot acclimate to the damage feedback of bot missions. With bugs, you get white rims and grunts for minor hits and red rims / screams when you’ve really gotta stim out. That’s all lost against bots — I’m seeing red and having my aim rocked with seemingly chip damage, less than the little bug runts would inflict

run a shield until you get a bit more used to it?

e] had a diff 7 match earlier where we dropped in right beside the super samples, only to crash out within 5 minutes :argh:

Not that I actually need the samples anymore, but still...

e] also holy poo poo the sickle is dope, the windup and sounds make it feel like an old timey gatling gun

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 18, 2024

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

Hard to tell which hitzone exactly your pellets are hitting it there with that shotgun.

Yeah I don't have any clean test cases; it's just that when I tell myself "aim for a leg instead of the head and see what happens" I tend to be pleasantly surprised.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

World War Mammories posted:

idk poo poo about computers at all, but I've read that there is, or at least was, no fps limit on some things like loading screens, which would make people's computers go bananas, roaring fans etc. maybe setting a limit in your graphics card settings will help?
AFAIK there's no reason not to globally limit FPS to your monitor's refresh rate in your GPU's control panel. Just prevents wasted power and unnecessary heat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game was overheating my CPU to the point that it'd freeze for a couple seconds which was usually long enough to disconnect anyone in my lobby once it caught up. That all kinda stopped once I capped the FPS lower than my refresh rate though. Definitely cap your FPS in the nvidia control panel (or whatever the other guys use) to at least your monitor's refresh rate to avoid your fans spinning up and your game freezing but I pinned mine at 75 which keeps the game looking smooth while my CPU stays much, much cooler than trying to pump out 144 constantly.

Sindai posted:

AFAIK there's no reason not to globally limit FPS to your monitor's refresh rate in your GPU's control panel. Just prevents wasted power and unnecessary heat.

I told this to a friend who was having the issue with the FPS spiking in the thousands randomly and he refused to do it because "then I'd forget it was set there in case it was causing issues" :cripes: fine man just keep complaining about the game making your CPU run hot as gently caress.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 18, 2024

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Janissary Hop posted:

Auto cannon boy meticulously dissects an entire heavy bug nest by himself, sniping the holes and any bug foolish enough to come out of them. He turns to his companions when he finishes, not so much looking for approval but willing to accept any offered. Alas, in the time he spent shooting shells into holes, they have cleared three objectives and are on their way to evac. "At least we got 20 more xp" auto cannon boy mutters to himself as he spends the next five minutes reloading, The shuttle departs without him just as he finishes loading the first magazine. Upon reading the final screen, his companions are startled to find that they had a fourth member all along. They say auto cannon boy is still there to this day, reloading that big cannon of his.

lmao

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

plester1 posted:

When you summon the strategem, the pod contains both the weapon and the ammo backpack as separate items. The weapon takes up your support weapon slot, the backpack occupies the backpack slot. The same player can carry both the weapon and backpack if the slots are available, or they can be split up and/or passed around individually.

I finally had a perfect 'AC buddies' moment last night too. Tons and tons of Bile Spewers, the assholes were sitting on the back line behind a second breach just mortaring the poo poo out of us. All of this on one of those long causeways through a lake, so we weren't spoiled for choice on the route we had to take. We climb up on a hunk of rock in the middle of the lake and both start taking potshots. I stop, walk over and hit E, and for the first time either of us had seen, two helldivers assumed the position. We burned through every single autocannon round in a rapid fire orgy of stupid. Every single spewer was blown to poo poo the second they spawned, it was glorious.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The sheer amount of ammo they give you for the AC is hilarious and I hope they never nerf it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Riatsala posted:

The sheer amount of ammo they give you for the AC is hilarious and I hope they never nerf it.

One thing I will say is that you can burn through it fast as gently caress when you have a buddy loading for you.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I assumed the position to do rapid reloads for the first time ever on the autocannon and the guy I was reloading for walked me in front of someone's shotgun before I could reload a single time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Riatsala posted:

Yeah I'm still so surprised at how balanced both it and the grenade launcher still somehow feel despite their differences, and how both also feel so great.

I just unlocked level 7 difficulty and am about to hit level 20. The last few games I settled on airstrike/rockets/Rover/EAT and it was gorgeous once I got a little room to fire off rockets freely. I like the Eagle, I'm just bad at using the airstrikes efficiently. I'm planning on putting my first superSamples into upgrading my Hangar, but am trying to decide on keeping the Eagle rockets or switching to either the big Eagle bomb or the orbital railgun once I unlock it. Someone in the last game was using both of those last two and while the railgun seemed like a long cooldown it also seemed pretty much guaranteed to kill something big unlike the rockets, which have whiffed for me quite a few times. And the big bomb looks impressive as hell but doesn't seem to actually do too much, but having two of them per cooldown might be nice. Thoughts on either of those three?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

They might nerf the amount you regain on ammo and supply, but they have backed themselves into a corner total capacity wise with the backpack model displaying total spares and the double magazine system making even a simple -1 ammo change a lot of work for the devs to deal with. (and even -12 total ammo would still leave it better off than the grenades!)

I am expecting them to make it need 4-5 to pop a spitter without headshots and 7-8 to pop a charger rear end any day now. But also wildly :tinfoil: the return of the legally distinct alien bastards will include the Autocannon being just as bad against them as the AMR is on bug missions.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 18, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Has anyone found the eagle rocket pods to be less consistent than they used to be? I swear they were an easy bring for Bot missions since they handled Hulks and Tanks no sweat; now I feel like it's a 50/50 chance that they even hit hulks at all. It's not like they're not being targeted, it's just the delivery of the rockets is always a few feet behind or above them

I never found them reliable vs. Hulks or Chargers because hulks are relatively small, and chargers are fast.

They kill pretty reliably vs. Tanks and turrets, and hit titans but don't kill them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kill my friends with rocket pods a lot because the chargers keep chargin' but the rockets don't really follow them that well. :(

Edit: Been making good use of the Stun Grenade + Rocket combo though

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Once you get up into the higher difficulties the group composition matters a lot more. I’ll flex my stratagems based on what I see other people doing, but I often run the loadout you listed with rockets swapped for the rail cannon. For me, the confidence in the rail cannon’s effectiveness trumps how frequently you can use the rockets. Plus I’m laying down so many EATs I’m not necessarily lacking for AT.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ravenfood posted:

I'm planning on putting my first superSamples into upgrading my Hangar, but am trying to decide on keeping the Eagle rockets or switching to either the big Eagle bomb or the orbital railgun once I unlock it. Someone in the last game was using both of those last two and while the railgun seemed like a long cooldown it also seemed pretty much guaranteed to kill something big unlike the rockets, which have whiffed for me quite a few times. And the big bomb looks impressive as hell but doesn't seem to actually do too much, but having two of them per cooldown might be nice. Thoughts on either of those three?

The 500 kg does roughly as much damage as the orbital rail, albeit with falloff. It twoshots titans(and unlike rail, you can actually drop 2 in a row), oneshots or badly wounds chargers, and you get way more of them over the course of a mission than orbital rails once you have the +1 eagle ammo upgrade.

Also it can potentially splash multiple titans/chargers. It's got a much higher ceiling, just with a learning curve attached. (Doesn't mean rail is bad, but if I'm taking just one of them it'll be 500kg.)

Vs titans, you wanna throw it close in front of them and bait their spit attack. They'll move forward on top of it just as it explodes.
Vs chargers, you wanna prime it, then throw it between you and them right after they miss a charge. They'll be moving towards it when it blows and either die or get severely hosed up.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

The 500 kg does roughly as much damage as the orbital rail, albeit with falloff. It twoshots titans(and unlike rail, you can actually drop 2 in a row), oneshots or badly wounds chargers, and you get way more of them over the course of a mission than orbital rails once you have the +1 eagle ammo upgrade.

Also it can potentially splash multiple titans/chargers. It's got a much higher ceiling, just with a learning curve attached. (Doesn't mean rail is bad, but if I'm taking just one of them it'll be 500kg.)

Vs titans, you wanna throw it close in front of them and bait their spit attack. They'll move forward on top of it just as it explodes.
Vs chargers, you wanna prime it, then throw it between you and them right after they miss a charge. They'll be moving towards it when it blows and either die or get severely hosed up.

If you place the 500kg just right, it will obliterate a Titan in one.

Aside, are the gang tags still being handed out?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ravenfood posted:

And the big bomb looks impressive as hell but doesn't seem to actually do too much, but having two of them per cooldown might be nice. Thoughts on either of those three?

The final hangar upgrade is amazing, specifically for the 500 KG bomb. The 500KG is an iffy pick with one, but with two and the short cooldown for the second vs. any of the Orbitals makes a big difference. Like everything there is a trick to it, and timing can be a little fucky, but being able to delete a titan or dumpster half a nest in one shot is worth a lot. Stasis grenades or an EMS turret makes learning the radius of the 500KG a LOT easier, it's a lot harder to whiff it when they can't move for 10 seconds.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Once you get up into the higher difficulties the group composition matters a lot more. I’ll flex my stratagems based on what I see other people doing, but I often run the loadout you listed with rockets swapped for the rail cannon. For me, the confidence in the rail cannon’s effectiveness trumps how frequently you can use the rockets. Plus I’m laying down so many EATs I’m not necessarily lacking for AT.

Yeah, playing on 7+ you tend to see people picking more synergistic loadouts based on what the host and others are using. EAT/500KG/AC/Cluster-or-Airstrike is my default loadout, but I've also had really good luck swapping the airstrike for an EMS turret. You can break contact and de-rear end the area really easily by tossing the mortar ahead of you and running past it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

apostateCourier posted:

If you place the 500kg just right, it will obliterate a Titan in one.
I have not seen this happen with any consistency whatsoever(even when directly below) and I suspect that when it seems to happen, the titan has actually just taken damage from other sources as well.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

hey mom its 420 posted:

that's pretty much my loadout for bugs and it owns. I usually run arc, EAT, eagle air strike and rover. Lately I've been running the scorcher a lot and it owns. the only time when it's really bad is when bugs get up in your face. then you gotta switch to the uzi.

I'm looking forward to the Scorcher. I'm about 120 total medals away I think. I've used it off people's corpses and quite liked it, particularly for Spewers and Nurses.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LazyMaybe posted:

I have not seen this happen with any consistency whatsoever(even when directly below) and I suspect that when it seems to happen, the titan has actually just taken damage from other sources as well.

You can see it a couple of times in the above linked video with that guy soloing 9 with a flamethrower build. If the 500KG projectile pierces the Titan, or if it lands directly underneath, it can 1 shot. Without any meaningful prior damage. The 500kg does like insane "vertical" damage in a very small area which makes it very deceptive as the damage really falls off outside of the column of 100% force dead center.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jerkface posted:

The 500kg does like insane "vertical" damage in a very small area which makes it very deceptive as the damage really falls off outside of the column of 100% force dead center.

This lines up with my experience as well, especially when it comes to trying to blow up a turret. A direct hit doesn't always blow up the tower, but landing the missile right at the base of the tower seems to kill the turret every time.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've definitely killed full-health titans with a 500kg (sometimes even aggroing them by throwing it at them - they often do a particular animation when they aggro where they stand still and kind of rear up, which makes them easier to hit) but I've also landed what seem like perfect hits directly underneath them that don't score the kill. I've also had terrible throws where they barely get clipped by the explosion, but die instantly anyway :shrug:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Super Earth needs to go on the offensive

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jerkface posted:

You can see it a couple of times in the above linked video with that guy soloing 9 with a flamethrower build.
That same guy near the start of this video on the current patch says he believes that either the 500kg was nerfed or bile titan HP was buffed, because it simply does not oneshot them anymore.

If anyone can supply a video on the current patch of a bile titan that definitely has not taken damage from other sources getting oneshot by a 500kg, I will happily eat my words.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://x.com/helldivers2hq/status/1769745072541598104?s=46

An amusing video

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow the AMR is suddenly way better now that I know to aim a little bit down and to the right. So many rocket devastators headshot. Thanks daily order!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

LazyMaybe posted:

That same guy near the start of this video on the current patch says he believes that either the 500kg was nerfed or bile titan HP was buffed, because it simply does not oneshot them anymore.

If anyone can supply a video on the current patch of a bile titan that definitely has not taken damage from other sources getting oneshot by a 500kg, I will happily eat my words.

Have they patched the "PS5 player changes bile titan health" bug yet? It could be that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think it could be that, because he was solo in that other video from before the patch.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Black Noise posted:

I don’t like how quitting the game just makes my fans go crazy and locks up my computer.

Why are you quitting the game, deserter?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sindai posted:

Wow the AMR is suddenly way better now that I know to aim a little bit down and to the right. So many rocket devastators headshot. Thanks daily order!

Those crosshairs were democratically mis-aligned and you are subverting the managed will of the people by accounting for it 😠

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I love how zooming in first person with the AMR occasionally leaves the sights in giant blocky blobs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

LazyMaybe posted:

I regularly one shot titans with a 500kg, throw it down and when the titans is over the strategem juke left/right and get him to puke so he stands still.

That said, just use EATs, 500kg is a oh poo poo no EATs nearby kind of thing

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Section Z posted:

They might nerf the amount you regain on ammo and supply, but they have backed themselves into a corner total capacity wise with the backpack model displaying total spares and the double magazine system making even a simple -1 ammo change a lot of work for the devs to deal with. (and even -12 total ammo would still leave it better off than the grenades!)

The magazine on the Breaker was changed when its capacity was nerfed and we've already seen a 6-slot supply backpack, so I don't see why altering the AC backpack or clip models would be some massive blocker if it actually came down to it. I also think the AC ammo is fine :confused:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Was pretty annoyed when I saw the AMR was the daily weapon. But I found my sweet spot with it going scorcher, defender, and stun grenades for basic gear and AMR, eagle air strike, orbital laser, and orbital railgun for stratagems. Could deal with pretty much any bot issue solo, including using stun grenades to stop hulks in their track to make up for my lovely aim for headshotting them. Might actually become my regular bot loadout.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Triarii posted:

Anyone tried deliberately shooting stalkers in the legs? I haven't tested it much but it kind of seems to work decently (killed this one in 3 shots, then wasted 2 more because I didn't think it would be dead yet)

https://i.imgur.com/aqxmwLg.mp4

Both them and Brood Commanders I find are a lot easier to get rid of by treating them like Necromorphs unless you have a support weapon or such,

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Warad posted:

Both them and Brood Commanders I find are a lot easier to get rid of by treating them like Necromorphs unless you have a support weapon or such,

Have you actually been able to kill brood commanders from leg shots? They can lose at least two or even three with seemingly no effect, they don't even have separate animations for having them shot off.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

turn off the TV posted:

Have you actually been able to kill brood commanders from leg shots? They can lose at least two or even three with seemingly no effect, they don't even have separate animations for having them shot off.

if you shot off the two front ones, then no, they can still crawl at you but usually if you get both off the same side (so the front AND the back) they will go down or at the very least have so little health than a couple extra shots into the noggin or taking out the remaining front leg finishes them off.

Edit: I've noticed it depends on the gun though, the Stock Assault Rifle and the SMGs (I think) can do it, the AP AR and Marksman rifles for some reason don't seem as effective at it for whatever reason and I don't have much experience with the laser rifles to say if they're good at it either.

Warad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm beginning to get a bit disenchanted with the game. I mostly play in a duo and we've been making our way up the difficulty levels, but the last few days it feels like there's just always a random spike in terms of spawn numbers or insane accuracy/clairvoyance from the robots. So we can't get the super samples because the mission just goes insane out of the blue. Or we're spawning in range of enemy mortars or whatever and getting pasted at the start.

And the more weapons I unlock the less I feel like there's a point to unlocking more because they are, mostly, wank. There's no excitement or anticipation for the new toy when all the toys are on a par with, or worse than, the assault rifle I started the game with.

In addition to all that, I feel like there are more bugs now than when I started weeks ago.

Feeling very similarly, especially as one group of friends move into "we're technically capable of making it through a difficulty 9 mission if we all play perfectly in a four man group so you're not getting duos or trios with any of us unless you want to play difficulty 8 or 9" and the other group becomes increasingly unavailable. The social aspect can paper over the game's many flaws, but not so much when it gets harder to have a group. ("just join the goon discord" every goon gaming discord I've joined has been toxic as poo poo, no thank you)

But I only have so much to spend on games to keep up with friends flitting between ones I don't own, so have to make it work somehow or I'm out the money with nowhere near enough to show for it. We'll see if future adjustments are any better. The EAT improvement has at least been a welcome change among the few positive ones.