Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

celadon posted:

I think there is a widespread belief among people who should know better that there is essentially a small population of the Covid vulnerable and a vast population who has no problem, and these are fixed and unchanging categories.

3% or so of the population has some genetic quirk or weird combination of factors that renders them likely to suffer from long covid after infection, to have brain fog, to keep getting sick and never get better, etc. It’s not something that can happen to everyone, and it’s not something that can build up after multiple infections, it’s a binary switch of susceptible or not susceptible.

So you can have a friend lose their livelihood cause of long covid and still go out to a concert unmasked, there is basically zero risk to you. You already had covid and it was fine, so even if you got it a second time it’d be fine a second time.

And this informs policy because if the only harms covid causes at this point are to a few percent of people and the elderly, it’s probably easier to just ignore it. You aren’t going to explicitly say that we’re intentionally burning the vulnerable but if it’d be really inconvenient to protect them and there’s no chance for me, the protagonist of reality, to become vulnerable anytime soon, it’s pretty easy to just do nothing.

god I hope they’re right. I need some of these magically healthy people to care for my maimed body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

maxwellhill posted:

musk thread

This is true.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mahler_biryani posted:

* Anything except severe radiation injury that leads to death within days is called mild and not counted in any statistics. Any symptoms even if debilitating and if they persist for months/years are considered mild. Enlarged thyroid? mild. Children that are seemingly always sick? Mild.

a classic. truly the Little Black Dress of public health

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I heard on a podcast that if you get Covid like four or five times, afterwards you’ll just be stupid for the rest of your life. Is that true?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I heard on a podcast that if you get Covid like four or five times, afterwards you’ll just be stupid for the rest of your life. Is that true?

well, the good news is maybe you didn’t need so many covid infections for that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gripweed posted:

you can undo it by taking 1 (one) acid for each time, but be warned if you cross the 7 (seven) mark you will be considered legally insane. so it's kind of a trade off that every one needs to decide whether is best for them and their lifestyle.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

icantfindaname posted:

What's the point of vented masks again?

When I'm the only person in the entire building wearing a mask, it might as well be comfortable.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I'll occasionally catch someone talking about polio on a podcast or a youtube video or whatever and you can sometimes see a tiny little crack ping going off in their brains when they talk about it in relation to COVID.

I've seen that reaction so many times now. They have that brief moment of "Hm, what if COVID actually is bad?", but then their brain short circuits and redirects to "I must live my life." I think it's just hard to change the lifestyle you've become accustomed to (i.e. masking, etc.), so people embrace denial.

They think "If I can have my treats and not modify my lifestyle at all whatsoever, I'll acknowledge COVID is bad." The same way liberals address any other issue.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jort Fortress posted:

I've seen that reaction so many times now. They have that brief moment of "Hm, what if COVID actually is bad?", but then their brain short circuits and redirects to "I must live my life." I think it's just hard to change the lifestyle you've become accustomed to (i.e. masking, etc.), so people embrace denial.

They think "If I can have my treats and not modify my lifestyle at all whatsoever, I'll acknowledge COVID is bad." The same way liberals address any other issue.

you know it’s getting really old and borderline denialism that this is solely a liberal thing, because we’ve had ample evidence in this thread alone that purported leftists are just as bad if not worse about the thinly-disguised eugenics of ‘having to live their lives’ and letting them off the hook isn’t doing anyone any favors. I realize it’s a meme at this point but cmon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

you know it’s getting really old and borderline denialism that this is solely a liberal thing, because we’ve had ample evidence in this thread alone that purported leftists are just as bad if not worse about the thinly-disguised eugenics of ‘having to live their lives’ and letting them off the hook isn’t doing anyone any favors. I realize it’s a meme at this point but cmon.

Western purported leftists are just liberals with extra steps

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

yeah you’re describing liberals

this genre just likes pins and trans flags

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tuyop posted:

yeah you’re describing liberals

this genre just likes pins and trans flags

so we’re no true Scotsman-ing it, gotcha.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

sure, but unlike the bit you're referencing, the categories "leftist" and "liberal" have clear criteria defining and separating them.

One example is that a leftist will embody community-mindedness and community care and wear a mask in public.

A liberal does not think of their community and will sometimes mask to avoid punishment but ultimately their shallow child-like level of moral development becomes clear.

hope this helps!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

Political ideology isn't a silver bullet for anything but you're high as a kite if you think any self-described leftist in the US actually believes their own material longer than it takes to trot it out while hitting on the ladies at the local DSA chapter meeting

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Political ideology isn't a silver bullet for anything but you're high as a kite if you think any self-described leftist in the US actually believes their own material longer than it takes to trot it out while hitting on the ladies at the local DSA chapter meeting

joepinetree posted:

At its pre-pandemic peak there was certainly a major contingent of creepy guys who legitimately thought "it's ok, im just being sex positive" was a good excuse for hitting on every woman in the org.

One of the people I'd hang out with at DSA events was this woman who worked as a stripper. The only reason I learned she was a stripper was because I was having a conversation with her and some other guy recognized her, proceeded to identify the club she worked at, and started to ask questions about her schedule to go there and see her.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Oldest Man posted:

You are disregarding all the self-described leftists who might be more sincere who were driven out of all of those spaces by the sex pests and Twitter clout dipshits.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

You are disregarding all the self-described leftists who might be more sincere who were driven out of all of those spaces by the sex pests and Twitter clout dipshits.

Presumably those ones are still wearing masks

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Oldest Man posted:

Presumably those ones are still wearing masks

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
The SARS-CoV-2 concentration in US wastewater has been at an all time high year over year for 6 weeks, and only beaten by the massive Omicron wave going back 3 months.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

The SARS-CoV-2 concentration in US wastewater has been at an all time high year over year for 6 weeks, and only beaten by the massive Omicron wave going back 3 months.

doesn't look like anything to me

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/WADeptHealth/status/1769766018971222350

“This updated respiratory virus isolation guidance reflects that we're in a better place now in the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Dr. Tao Sheng Kwan-Gett, Chief Science Officer, DOH. “But while life is returning to normal in many ways, we must remember that for many in our community with chronic conditions and weakened immune systems, respiratory virus infections such as COVID-19, flu, and RSV remain a deadly threat. Each week, more than a dozen people in our state lose their lives to COVID-19 each week. We must not rest until that number is zero.”

Well we had about a week of holding out before following suit. Nice while it lasted.

https://doh.wa.gov/emergencies/covid-19/prevent-spreading-respiratory-viruses

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

"Feeling normal" has never been about doing the activities, it's always about been fulfilling class and cultural role expectations and I'll tell you the most basic reason why: feeling normal isn't a freestanding feeling, it's coded language for an absence of shame. When they aren't performing their assigned roles, most people feel shame. That's an adaptive emotional response in the context of a social and economic support structure (friends, work, spouse, etc.) that is heavily conditioned on those role expectations being fulfilled. People may not - and actually almost certainly won't - admit that they're afraid of being abandoned, but shame is their brain telling them to feel bad about doing things that could lead to that outcome. Feeling shame, or imagining a shameful outcome, is also a very strong motivator to police group behavior because if you're worried about being out-grouped you're going to be hypervigilant of those in-group signifiers in others as well as yourself.

This is already a pretty strong predisposer to ostracizing the vulnerable but unfortunately our elites invest a significant amount of money at playing on people's hopes and fears with mass propaganda campaigns. It doesn't take much to turn people's misgivings about being weird or viewed as outside the in-group into an extremely strong and reflexive hostility toward anything deemed abnormal, and people are being loving blasted with this poo poo 24/7 any time they turn on the TV, go on Facebook, or listen to NPR.

That's why you can't argue with people about it and win; you can't get anywhere by (rightly) pointing out that almost everything they want to do can be done in a mask or that they're compromising their own so-called principles by not protecting the vulnerable people all around them. Sticking to any of that poo poo - even imagining doing it - causes a manufactured reflexive shame response that none of those things are Normal, and Normal is Safe (for me because I'll be kicked to the curb if I don't perform normalcy).

I know this is a week old comeback but GAT drat this is a good post.

Thank you, Oldest Man

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

wonder how much of that is chronic infections

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zantie posted:

“This updated respiratory virus isolation guidance reflects that we're in a better place now in the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Dr. Tao Sheng Kwan-Gett, Chief Science Officer, DOH. “But while life is returning to normal in many ways, we must remember that for many in our community with chronic conditions and weakened immune systems, respiratory virus infections such as COVID-19, flu, and RSV remain a deadly threat. Each week, more than a dozen people in our state lose their lives to COVID-19 each week. We must not rest until that number is zero.”

Well we had about a week of holding out before following suit. Nice while it lasted.

Following the science, safely

quote:

But while life is returning to normal in many ways, we must remember that for many in our community with chronic conditions and weakened immune systems

Oracle posted:

wonder how much of that is chronic infections

[jim looking at the camera gif]

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

[jim looking at the camera gif]
That's my secret, Cap

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68591537

quote:

In the first week of January, say the Czech authorities, there were 28 registered cases of whooping cough.

That figure now stands at 3,084 – a number not seen since 1963.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
here’s a page called “why our family is covid cautious. shared on Reddit. it has all the hits if you still need them in one place.

https://sites.google.com/view/why-we-are-covid-cautious/home

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Herd immunity ripping at the seams.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

"Feeling normal" has never been about doing the activities, it's always about been fulfilling class and cultural role expectations and I'll tell you the most basic reason why: feeling normal isn't a freestanding feeling, it's coded language for an absence of shame. When they aren't performing their assigned roles, most people feel shame. That's an adaptive emotional response in the context of a social and economic support structure (friends, work, spouse, etc.) that is heavily conditioned on those role expectations being fulfilled. People may not - and actually almost certainly won't - admit that they're afraid of being abandoned, but shame is their brain telling them to feel bad about doing things that could lead to that outcome. Feeling shame, or imagining a shameful outcome, is also a very strong motivator to police group behavior because if you're worried about being out-grouped you're going to be hypervigilant of those in-group signifiers in others as well as yourself.

This is already a pretty strong predisposer to ostracizing the vulnerable but unfortunately our elites invest a significant amount of money at playing on people's hopes and fears with mass propaganda campaigns. It doesn't take much to turn people's misgivings about being weird or viewed as outside the in-group into an extremely strong and reflexive hostility toward anything deemed abnormal, and people are being loving blasted with this poo poo 24/7 any time they turn on the TV, go on Facebook, or listen to NPR.

That's why you can't argue with people about it and win; you can't get anywhere by (rightly) pointing out that almost everything they want to do can be done in a mask or that they're compromising their own so-called principles by not protecting the vulnerable people all around them. Sticking to any of that poo poo - even imagining doing it - causes a manufactured reflexive shame response that none of those things are Normal, and Normal is Safe (for me because I'll be kicked to the curb if I don't perform normalcy).

very good post

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Oldest Man posted:

five

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

icantfindaname posted:

What's the point of vented masks again?

can't transmit it if you can't catch it

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
also no one else is bothering mitigating the problem at all or carrying any of the burden, so priority has to go toward protecting the people who they're all endangering together

but we're all engaging an ancient post from a FCP quote, so i guess it's just riffing

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Mar 18, 2024

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

NeonPunk posted:

I mean they're not wrong.

Strep Vote posted:

This is true.

no it's not, lol.... read more slowly y'all. when this person said "masking helped because" they mean a certain thing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zantie posted:

" Each week, more than a dozen people in our state lose their lives to COVID-19 each week."

But how often is that happening?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Salt Fish posted:

" Each week, more than a dozen people in our state lose their lives to COVID-19 each week."

But how often is that happening?

dx/dt of COVID mortality

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

Forgot to quote this the first time around, great post

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

It's no different from drinking bleach which I do all the times.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

maxwellhill posted:

musk thread

I keep colds away by keeping my immune response sharp by keeping my nose warm by going to big indoor parties

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i'm looking for a good vented aura for long distance running, and some how stumbled across this quote on US abc news back from 2020

quote:

While valve masks outwardly appear like a technological step up from a homemade cloth or a standard surgical mask, an old fashioned cloth or surgical mask is actually superior for the COVID-19 pandemic. "Cloth and surgical masks would clearly rank superior ... the N95 valve mask doesn't protect everyone around me. Of course, the major reason the CDC began to recommend the universal use of masks in the community was because of asymptomatic infection and wishing to reduce the transmission from the person who is infected to others," Schaffner said

ahhh the good old days...

but anyways, any opinions on this 3M P2 N95 9322A+ Respirator Aura Flat Fold Mask with valve as a good vented aura for running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I still see "masks are (solely) to protect others" occasionally