Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Space Jam posted:

what irritates me more is how did the t-rex get into the bridge of the ship and eat the pilot at the end of the lost world?

I loved the way that Speilberg just completely stopped caring with the final act of the Lost World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Apparently Disney+ is getting Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, and Macross Delta, and their associated movies and specials.

But not the original Macross or Macross: Do You Remember Love?.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Space Jam posted:

what irritates me more is how did the t-rex get into the bridge of the ship and eat the pilot at the end of the lost world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lA226A91tA&t=118s

It's not explicit in the movie but you can actually tell. The Rex's cage was on the deck rather than in the cargo hold. It got loose after they juiced it up to offset Roland's tranquilizer that had put it into a coma, then it attacked the crew and was supposed to have smashed its head into the back of the bridge eating the helmsman (this shot didn't make it into the final film but there is concept art/storyboards showing a big hole in the back of the bridge). Surviving crew members lured it into the hold and locked it in there and then probably abandoned ship.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 19, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Apparently Disney+ is getting Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, and Macross Delta, and their associated movies and specials.

Is there a ranking on these, I have only watched the og series and the movie. The movie is my favorite 80s anime.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I watched and enjoyed dune 2. I felt like the end was a bit rushed because I wasn't 100% sure what the Emperor thought he was gonna achieve in person, or was even doing setting his scaffolding pyramid down in the desert. The setup for the duel was sorta dumb too? I get that Fremen have to kill for leadership, but seems bizarre that he challenged the emperor to put forth a champion. I can't remember how it's explained in the books.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 19, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is there a ranking on these, I have only watched the og series and the movie. The movie is my favorite 80s anime.

S: Macross Plus
A: Macross Frontier
B: Macross 7
C:
D: Macross Delta

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

You can tell that Snyder was born to make movie trailers but good lord that still looks like trash.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

But I should add, Macross 7 does have the best music in the franchise with the band Fire Bomber. Which is canonically, in-universe, dad rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBUNkKOjUK8

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Aren't sharks as old as dinosaurs?

sharks are older than trees

sharks are older than the rings of saturn

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Okay that’s enough now leave them alone

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gripweed posted:

pass. total rip-off of Robotech

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol so bad.

Hey Light sabers

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sir.... the moon... i'm afraid to report that it's... rebelling, sir.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Gripweed posted:

It's a start, all of those rule, especially Macross 7. Love me some Fire Bomber and fighting with rock lasers.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nowadays even lions need to be kept in gaming reserves to be protected from human traps. There are very few wild horses and wild tigers.

Dinos in the wild will be starved to death in no time. Only sea dinosaurs can stay alive on their own. Aren't sharks as old as dinosaurs?

how soon we forget the feral hogs :baduk:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Lmao Sony is re-releasing all their Spider-man films in theaters this year.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Jose Oquendo posted:

Lmao Sony is re-releasing all their Spider-man films in theaters this year.

What the gently caress for?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why make when can remake, why remake when can rerelease?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The content is going to grind to a near halt for a while shortly due to the strikes, probably lots of places will do rereleases as a bandaid on the wound. Spider man seems to always do well as long as it's actually spider man and not his embarrassing frenemies. There you go, I've put more thought into this than any sony pictures exec

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Khanstant posted:

Why make when can remake, why remake when can rerelease?

soon movie tickets will just be rent bearing instruments

what you thought you could "keep" memories of the movie in your head like a freeloader??

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yo sharks so old when it lies around Saturn it lies around Saturn.

Please watch my new Netflix comedy special "cancelled by woke trans sharks" literally delivered directly to hundreds of millions of homes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Macross Plus has some banging tunes and killer dogfights. Those planes are super cool.

It was one of the 3 animes that was on the Canadian Teletoon a lot along with Wings of Honemaise (sp) and Ninja Scroll (:stare:)

On sometimes they had Patlabor too which didn’t have enough action to hold my interest at the time but I hear it’s actually quite good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Going to be a massive spoilsport and say that Sharks, as they might be recognizable to us, don't predate trees (Elasmobranchii, which entail sharks, rays, sawfish and their common ancestors are first found in the mid Devonian, at almost exactly the same time that trees appear, but sharks themselves only appear definitively in the Jurassic), its more that there are cartilaginous fish that looked similar to sharks and had similar habits that are extremely ancient, but they aren't really sharks and in life you'd probably see a difference.

Curiously these animals are still around, kind of, Chimaera like ratfish are part of this subgroup in the Cartilaginous fish and the last remaining remnant of the Holocephali group that people tend to be talking about here when they talk about ultra ancient "sharks". The most famous of these is Helicoprion, which had a massive sawblade built into its face instead of normal teeth and was bigger than a Killer whale.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

is anyone else excited for Monkey Man, written and directed by Mike Stoklasa??

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I caught a ratfish once and I did not want to go near its mouth to get the hook out. Just gross with actual rat like teeth (plus a big rear end spine by its dorsal fin)

Managed to do it with some long handled pliers and released the ugly fucker.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

You just got in a huge fight with your girlfriend and to win her back you send her old pictures of you two together, happy and in love.

Same idea here.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This content desert is murderous. Posters turning on each other, falling left and right. But enough about 2 months since last botw, let's talk hollyweird

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ok, that works well enough. Lol

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Frank Frank posted:

The strike and Madame Web bombed so hard they probably think they have to do something to give people Spider content.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Space Jam posted:

is anyone else excited for Monkey Man, written and directed by Mike Stoklasa??

Looking forward to the Gorilla Interrupted sequel, yes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

priznat posted:

Macross Plus has some banging tunes and killer dogfights. Those planes are super cool.

It was one of the 3 animes that was on the Canadian Teletoon a lot along with Wings of Honemaise (sp) and Ninja Scroll (:stare:)

On sometimes they had Patlabor too which didn’t have enough action to hold my interest at the time but I hear it’s actually quite good.

Patlabor kicks rear end. It's about the Tokyo Police Department: Special Vehicles Section: Division 2. They aren't as good or popular or well funded as Division 1.

There have been a bunch of Patlabor shows and movies over the years, and generally the tell three kinds of stories.

1) Some big event is happening and the SVS Division 2 is brought in just because the cops need everyone they can get, and of course Division 2 ends up saving the day, but in a way that causes a genuinely unnecessary amount of property damage.

2) The Division 2 chief is away at TPD HQ either trying to get more funding or apologizing for something Division 2 did. While he's away the rest of Division 2 gets up to antics! Maybe somebody let all the chickens out and they've got to catch them all before the boss comes back! Or maybe somebody saw a g-g-g-g-ghost!

3) There is a sickness in the heart of Japan. The crimes of the war have never been accounted for, and the horrific inequality of Japanese society is simply papered over. But the wounds on the Japanese soul have started to fester, and the rot is seeping out into the daylight where it can no longer be ignored. An extremist faction of the military, aided by corporate money and right wing elements in the government itself, have seized control of the nation. It seems as if Japan's brief experiment with democracy has finally come to an end. Their plan, decades in the making, went off without a hitch. All resistance has been contained or neutralized. But they made one mistake; they underestimated Tokyo Police Department: Special Vehicles Section: Division 2.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I did like how they gave the robots gigantic old school revolvers complete with massive shells the pilots had to get out and load in themselves.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I just played a role in a major Hollywood movie. I can't say much, but I play bum who rubs his eyes and tosses his flask over his shoulder at the sight of a monkey in tophat

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

You've seen two of the three worth watching. Plus is the third one. It's like Top Gun but Macross and there's a Hatsune Miku.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TTBF posted:

You've seen two of the three worth watching. Plus is the third one. It's like Top Gun but Macross and there's a Hatsune Miku.

Macross Frontier is very good, and Macross 7 is good but drags a bit in the middle. I'd say both of them are worth watching

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Khanstant posted:

In that case, we just have to put Bono down.

Yeah yeah yeah

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Patlabor kicks rear end. It's about the Tokyo Police Department: Special Vehicles Section: Division 2. They aren't as good or popular or well funded as Division 1.

There have been a bunch of Patlabor shows and movies over the years, and generally the tell three kinds of stories.

1) Some big event is happening and the SVS Division 2 is brought in just because the cops need everyone they can get, and of course Division 2 ends up saving the day, but in a way that causes a genuinely unnecessary amount of property damage.

2) The Division 2 chief is away at TPD HQ either trying to get more funding or apologizing for something Division 2 did. While he's away the rest of Division 2 gets up to antics! Maybe somebody let all the chickens out and they've got to catch them all before the boss comes back! Or maybe somebody saw a g-g-g-g-ghost!

3) There is a sickness in the heart of Japan. The crimes of the war have never been accounted for, and the horrific inequality of Japanese society is simply papered over. But the wounds on the Japanese soul have started to fester, and the rot is seeping out into the daylight where it can no longer be ignored. An extremist faction of the military, aided by corporate money and right wing elements in the government itself, have seized control of the nation. It seems as if Japan's brief experiment with democracy has finally come to an end. Their plan, decades in the making, went off without a hitch. All resistance has been contained or neutralized. But they made one mistake; they underestimated Tokyo Police Department: Special Vehicles Section: Division 2.

getting serious deja vu here, you've typed this exact series of words before. please quote yourself. I'm not crazy

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

TTBF posted:

It's like Top Gun but Macross and there's a Hatsune Miku.

gibberish

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

kalel posted:

getting serious deja vu here, you've typed this exact series of words before. please quote yourself. I'm not crazy

lol yup

Gripweed posted:

The thing about Patlabor is that there's three basic stock stories you get. It's about the Tokyo Police Department Special Vehicles Unit 2nd Division. The 2nd Division being the not as good division that doesn't get much respect. So the three stories told about the 2nd Division are

-some big crime is happening, and the brass have no choice but to call in the 2nd Division, who save the day but in an embarrassing way that causes a lot of collateral damage

-the Chief is away from the 2nd Division, typically apologizing for the damage they caused in the previous type of story, so the guys get into hijinks!

-there is a sickness at the heart of Japan. The crimes of World War 2 have never been addressed, merely papered over and allowed to fester. The elite live lives of luxury while the people struggle without hope. Right wing elements in the government and military are staging a coup and the brief period of democracy that has existed since the war is coming to an end. But they made one mistake. They forgot about the Tokyo Police Department Special Vehicles Unit 2nd Division.

The movies are mostly the third one, but the show has a mix of all three.

I just did a rewatch of Patlabor 2 this weekend and it's still so loving good. I think the Kill Wyvern scene is still the most realistic depiction of modern air combat out there and it manages to be so suspenseful despite little in the way of fancy aerial manoeuvring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lmao