Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
dude clouds freaking nuts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Always has been

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

His brain don't work good.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Finished up earlier and I don't know why in the world I thought I was gonna make it through whatever the forgotten capital sequence had waiting for me without crying; I broke immediately lmao

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Thinking about how cool Galian Beast looked and how excited I am for Vincent to be playable in the next game. Hope they keep Death Gigas and Hellmasker, wanna see how they update those goofy designs.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

His brain don't work good.

Clouds brain works great. it's powerful levels in Mime allow him to learn how to do sick motorcycle stunts from getting stunted at, dance like pro after getting pro danced at, learn how to giant sword after getting stabbed with a giant sword and even dodge mental trauma by telling him he's actually another guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still of the feeling that I think these games would be better if they just expanded the original story instead of adding Whispers and potential multiple timeline bullshit.

Aerith's death still would have been impactful! There are plenty of people who never played the original game and for those who have, you've spent more time with her and so that pain is still there!

I think it's honestly the half-measures that are the issue. They tried to have their cake and eat it too. They pulled the meta stuff with the whispers in Remake, feinted towards doing something radically different and whether that was a legitimate attempt or just them trying to sow doubt to preserve surprise in the rest of the trilogy, I do feel like the reactions scared them into pivoting into something that is much more conservative in terms of what it's trying to say about FF7 as a piece of art, but also muddies the waters of what the original story (not the plot) of FF7 was about. Because we're so deep into multiverse bullshit that the themes of ecology and imperialism feel like they're getting lost in the shuffle. (Also there's a lot of waffling about 'think of the poor soldiers of Shinra just following orders' which feels like it sands off a lot of the teeth the original has)

Like, either poo poo or get off the pot. Either take the big swings and make it clear that this is a piece going somewhere new with the basic elements. As people have said, that didn't just have to be 'Aerith lives'. It could've been killing Tifa, or Cloud, have Zack show up for real (hell, right up until chapter 14 I was convinced the twist was gonna be that Zack was in the same timeline as everyone else and that stuff was happening at the same time as what we were otherwise playing, which would've been SOMEthing).

Or just do a straight remake expanding on character and theme and don't be so caught up in old fans not being surprised by plot beats they know are coming. It's a bizarre mindset that I can only understand being from people who never rewatch movies or reread books. Knowing the story doesn't ruin it unless all the story had going for it is shock value.

There's also definite elements that make it clear some recalibration happened, because as noted, the stinger in Remake of Zack turning up at the church makes 0 sense in any of his scenes in this one. They definitely changed their mind with how they were planning to do that.

More granularly: 2 points about the ending chapters:
1: the Labyrinth is loving interminably long. It's a chapter that should be like 90 minutes and it's padded out to be like 6 hours. It's infuriating (the final fight in chapter 14 is also an utter slog that is hurt by throwing groupings that you very well may not have specced for, and in my case not speccing for a Cloud/Aerith pairing made the final fight impossible until I gave up, respecced everyone and had to do the entire loving thing again. That is atrocious from both a QOL stance and a pacing one)

2: the number of people confused by the death scene is I think an absolute condemnation and illustrative of how messy the ending as a whole is. First up, let's assume you're a new player who somehow does NOT know Aerith is going to die. Does this version have the impact of the original to that person? I'd argue very much not, as it's entirely predicated on loving with expectations of returning players at the expense of clarity.
Secondly, while I do now kind of get the idea of Cloud's fractured perception, up until this point, his perceptions have basically only been 'wrong' in that he's seeing Sephiroth in place of the robed people. Otherwise the main symptom has been missing time or odd behaviour. Like people saying Zack's name and his mind basically skips over that part until he hits Nibelheim and is forced to confront it. And even then the most obvious moment, of him 'editing' Nibelheim to remember Zack drowning, comes (if you're somewhat thorough) like FORTY hours before the ending, so it's absolutely not fair to say that primes the audience to understand what's going on.
At best, it's poorly conveyed and explained. At worst, it actually actively hurts the emotional impact of the story.

This is a lot of words to basically be one of the people who really liked 90% of the game, who was jazzed by the prospect that Remake dangled of something daring, and feels a bit ripped off that that promise was just a red herring to string people along because they thought just being clear about it being the original story was too 'boring'.

And I only played the OG FF7 during lockdown. I have zero nostalgic connection to it.

EDIT: Actually, yes, I agree with the earlier poster who linked this article: https://www.pastemagazine.com/games...r-needed-to-ask. Whether you like the author or not, I completely agree with him that trying to please both aspects of the audience has resulted in an ending that I can't imagine really pleasing either.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 18, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm plenty pleased with it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Thinking about how cool Galian Beast looked and how excited I am for Vincent to be playable in the next game. Hope they keep Death Gigas and Hellmasker, wanna see how they update those goofy designs.

Hell yeah! I wonder how they'll handle his gameplay. Will he be like an active reload timing to power up shots? He can activate minor monster powers at will? Press triangle to brood in corner? I am looking forward to the next game if only to see how they change things up mechanically. They did nothing but improve stuff in this one.

Anyway, I posted a long, incoherent, and probably wrong post on the ending elsewhere so I'll just share them here. I'm probably talking out of my butt however I think speculating is fun!

Someone who is probably wrong posted:

I ascribe to the theory that Aerith is gone in the timeline we've been playing but is alive in another. Keep in mind, Cloud walked through that white portal alone, the same one the party walked through to a different timeline in Remake, so he's changing things. It's why the black and white whispers are against him. They want Aerith to be killed - black ones because they're controlled by Sephiroth and the white ones because they're still trying to course correct. So in this new timeline he crossed into he saves her.

When it smash cuts, we're back in the prime timeline and Sephiroth succeeded. The "hallucination attacks" he has are flashes back to the OG timeline, like the ones he had in Remake. I figure this because he's yelling like he did in that game, telling Sephiroth to shut up and all that.

I never really ascribed to Cloud hallucinating Aerith in those final cutscenes. I mean, I can see that point of view but Red also senses her. I'm of two minds of this, either she's a wayward spirit trying to figure out meteor or, the one I like, is that she's the other timeline Aerith talking to him (She's basically follow the party but she's all by her lonesome. So she's essentially walking in an empty field talking to the air in her reality. She keeps disappearing to indicate that she's not actually there with the rest of the party). I think this because he looks up and see that tear thing while talking to her when no one else see it. He's tuned into this stuff now in the way Sephiroth and Aerith are.

He's still messed up. He has that "hallucination attack" before he says Reunion. He's still open to Sephiroth's machinations but I don't believe Aerith is part of them.

I know people pull those quotes from the producer and director but they only talk about the story being expanded and nothing being radically changed, which is fine. This game follows events of the OG almost to the T while changing character beats in interesting ways. But they only said story. Characters? Those are already up in the air. We've already seen them break sequence with Tifa taking a trip in the lifestream and Cloud figuring out who Zack is before he takes a dip in it. So it's entirely possible the story remains unchanged but all these characters who should be gone will be around in some way.

Zack did mention if worlds can be divided they can reunite again. His whole deal is trying to find a way to save everyone. Biggs, Cloud and Aerith are on that list. It's why the one who couldn't make that choice between Cloud and Biggs is the one who got noped out of that reality by Sephiroth.

Edit: I will say having read that paste article, well power reading and skipping over the vitriol, they're right that this stuff does undercut the drama a bit. It still hit me pretty good but for new players? I don't know.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 18, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh lol that's a Jackson Tyler article yes I don't agree with a single thing they say at basically any time so you're really making so presumptions about what people think about this game

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
loving Sephiroth

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can you imagine, an FF7R game with an ending that displeases people.

Anyway, this game feels like its more of the same as how things went with the first one. And I am disappointed because I wanted them to get crazy with it but also am not at all surprised because they already showed me how they would go about adapting FF7 4 years ago and they haven't really deviated much from how things went there.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I was just thinking back through this game, and was about to make a post whining about how they didn't go visit the baby bird's nest in Mt Corel, and then I remembered the amazing loving baby bird pal you get and have at least one sidequest with. This game, man.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Cloud Jr. is the best party member of all

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Catching up on this thread as well. I think Aerith is dead and Cloud is probably communicating with a life stream ghost and not completely hallucinating. Evidence for that being Red's brief reaction Aerith's supposed spirit and him seeing the cracks in the sky that everyone in the doomed timeline also could see. So it's probably not complete figments of his imagination but there's something clearly wrong with Cloud specifically so that he can see that.

The main thing I'm wondering about is Aerith's line about praying to stop Meteor. I feel like that line means the Meteor has been summoned and she's going to pray to stop it. But in the timeline we're in, it hasn't been summoned yet and the party is still stopping Sephiroth from doing so. Given her lines about how the future can be changed, I don't think she's being fatalistic about this Cloud inevitably failing to keep the black materia out of Sephiroth's hands, which means that she's probably talking about other timelines where Meteor has been successfully summoned I think?

RC Cola posted:

Edit: So everyone is talking about how busted yuffie is. Why is she so busted? I generally like playing as Tifa and just doing plasma discharge and drop kicking fools over and over again with lightning exploding around me. Is it just access to the ninjitsu of each element? Besides using doppelganger to increase damage I clearly am not using her correctly

Plasma Discharge is what makes Yuffie busted because she has an ATB command to dodge and regenerate ATB (Brumal Form), which triggers the discharge. On top of that, she can use Blindside even if you screw up and get hit to keep the discharges going off. Everyone can sort of do the same with Mug+Enemy Skill, but Yuffie's Brumal Form and Blindside push it over the top. Cloud and Cait Sith also have ATB regenerators to make Plasma Discharge constantly trigger (Cait Sith's is also a dodge!). Tifa has a lot of passives that make her generate lots of ATB when the enemy is staggered, so she works well with it too.

Furthermore, she also has the most natural rewards for constantly spending ATB. Banishment and Purification literally get stronger the more ATB commands you use, and she can make use of the pirate accessory to get three ATB bars through spamming of other abilities without a synergy to use her capstone ability.

I feel like Cait Sith can also make great use of this ATB refund+Plasma Discharge combo, but he's a lot weirder to use compared to Yuffie so I don't think many people have worked it out yet.

Gameplay wise, I still feel the targeting is really squirrelly in combat and it's sometimes hard to target what you want, especially with bosses that have extra parts. The final battle sequence also has too many hard checks on having the right materia load out with no warning on hat your party will be. The first time through, when you're forced to play solo Cloud against briefly, Jenova put up the barrier that makes her immune to melee/physical attacks and I had literally no offensive magic materia on Cloud. It eventually faded by itself, but it took forever and I just reset the fight to give a Cloud a single offensive magic materia. Similarly, when you're fighting Bizarro with Tifa, Red, and Barret, it took me a long time to whittle down the wings because Barret was the only one with magic materia on him. I can see it being really easy to go into that portion of the fight with no magic materia on those members and just being stuck.

I really wish there was a training dummy so you could just sit down and figure out how to control your characters and also figure out what parts of your kits do magic vs physical damage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All this talk about Rebirth not changing anything and no one mentions that Tseng is still alive. I'm glad we killed the ghosts in part 1 so Tseng could live.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tseng has been alive since 2005, where they unceremoniously killed him again he was mildly injured only to appear near the very end of Advent Children.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
2 much smaller points, 1 which is entirely nitpicky, and one which I think might low key be important to the third game:

First: I'm annoyed they didn't change Red's name to Nanaki in the UI once his real name is revealed. Barret even calls him by his real name after that, and there's none of the OG's excuse of wanting to stick with the player chosen name, so there's no real reason not to.

Second: the change in how Cosmo Canyon itself is presented is interesting. Sort of somewhere between what Wutai was in the original, with a dash of doomer or 'God the planet has a Plan' religious dogma. In the original it kind of felt like Bugenhagen was the one who knew what the gently caress was going on and kind of charged the group with their actual mission. In this version it feels like almost the opposite, like Tifa's the one who has to push them into action.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hell if you leave all the side quests involving him until after Cosmo Canyon and go back to do them he'll be exclusively called Nanaki in those too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the Labyrinth trial makes it very viscerally clear why Red XIII isn't exactly a fun nickname. (Also peeved that the damage he takes in that sequence carries over.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

All this talk about Rebirth not changing anything and no one mentions that Tseng is still alive. I'm glad we killed the ghosts in part 1 so Tseng could live.

Tseng literally never died. The only time it was stated he died was in the original PS1 English release which was a mistranslation that they fixed in the PC version.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The only time they said it happened was in the version fuckloads of people played!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

The only time they said it happened was in the version fuckloads of people played!

If by 'fuckloads' you mean "the US audience who played FFVII for the PS1 in 1997". It's literally been fixed for every version since and wasn't an issue in other languages.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

thebardyspoon posted:

look they say lots of nonsense in that version

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If by 'fuckloads' you mean "the US audience who played FFVII for the PS1 in 1997". It's literally been fixed for every version since and wasn't an issue in other languages.

Yeah I'd say the US, UK, Australia, some amount of Europe depending on how good localisation was in those days would count as fuckloads of people given that's a significant amount of the people who played it and made it so popular back in the day? (if the PAL version had it fixed, I can't remember, even just the US would still be "fuckloads" imo) Hardly surprising someone would have the impression that he died if that's the version they played is it?

My comment was kinda tongue in cheek but gently caress it, why are you such a loving prick in this thread, windmilling into people about any little minor issue they have with the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I'd say the US, UK, Australia, some amount of Europe depending on how good localisation was in those days would count as fuckloads of people given that's a significant amount of the people who played it and made it so popular back in the day? (if the PAL version had it fixed, I can't remember, even just the US would still be "fuckloads" imo) Hardly surprising someone would have the impression that he died if that's the version they played is it?

My comment was kinda tongue in cheek but gently caress it, why are you such a loving prick in this thread, windmilling into people about any little minor issue they have with the game?

I don't think going "Hey, that was the result of a mistranslation" is windmilling into anyone. It's a mistake that has been fixed since 1998, there's no harm in pointing that out to anyone.

Edit: Like if I sounded too aggro, I'm genuinely sorry, that wasn't what I was intending

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 18, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On that note, it's still kind of weirdly staged. Like, the whole 'Tseng gets stabbed, but manages one final act to save Aerith' makes more narrative sense than, "he gets stabbed non-fatally, shoots a clone and then... just... leaves?"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Between defeating the Turks and the entire rest of the strike team getting wiped the gently caress out between one thing or another, in this case Tseng's scene is mostly just the capstone to repelling Shinra from the temple and moving on to Sephiroth.

Tseng verifying that this ain't the promised land bowing out gracefully is all he could do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can only assume being a member of the Turks pays insanely well because it's kind of the worst job in the world.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I can only assume being a member of the Turks pays insanely well because it's kind of the worst job in the world.

All of the vending machines in Midgar are free to the Turks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hello, welcome to the Turks. You are going to be our elite squadron we send on the hardest and dirtiest missions."
"Oh wow. Do we get some sort of super soldier treatment like SOLDIER? Or maybe like cool power armor, I've seen a few Shinra soldiers with that."
"You get a gun."
"..."
"And some grenades."
"Well, fine, it's mostly behind the scenes stuff, rig-"
"We need you to fight rogue SOLDIERs, escaped bioweapons, living mecha created by the planet, and also commit some light assassination and mass murder."
"What the gently caress."
"Also if you screw up at all we'll have you killed."
"..."
"We might have you killed if you don't screw up either if we worry about your loyalty."
"Is the pay go-"
"Also Professor Hojo has full permission to cuckold you, murder you, and experiment on your corpse."
"Are there ANY benefits?"
"You get a cool black suit and a neat theme song."

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

"You get a cool black suit and a neat theme song."

After hearing Elena and Tseng's boss theme, that is a pretty compelling argument.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Hey I beat the game so I can post in here now

my money on Aerith is that she is real in the sense that there is a "ghost" that only Cloud is seeing because of his multiversal trip, and just as the Sephiroth we're dealing with seems to be the Advent Children version who is fully aware of what's supposed to happen the Aerith that pulls Cloud into the German Shepard Stamp timeline is the AC Aerith borrowing one of her selves for the Holy delivery.

I'm sure all of t his has been discussed to death my now but that was my read in the moment.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of it. Aerith definitely, absolutely, certainly died in the "real" timeline as she did in the original. At the same time Cloud seems to be able to... see into different timelines/worlds/universes? And in at least one of those Aerith is alive, including quite possibly one that was created during the pivotal death scene, but this time one where Cloud was able to push Sephiroth away? Or maybe all of them, because all of the other ones (or most of them?) have the crack in the sky, which Cloud can now apparently see?

So I dunno, I feel like Part 3 is mostly going to go along the lines of the original but Aerith is going to show up at least a few times as a Force ghost.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
And chime in with funny ghost responses to Tifa and Cloud where appropriate please

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

UP AND ADAM posted:

And chime in with funny ghost responses to Tifa and Cloud where appropriate please

[under the highwind]

"C'mon, Cloud, put your back into it!"

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Part 3 needs to explain why Regina still thinks she's hot poo poo at the end of the Queen's Blood Story even after I beat her like 5 times.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Carmant posted:

Part 3 needs to explain why Regina still thinks she's hot poo poo at the end of the Queen's Blood Story even after I beat her like 5 times.

both her first and last names mean "queen." i imagine she has a bit of a complex about it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Aerith died but Aeris lived

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't know if it's an intended development or not, but I liked when I met Regina back in Gongaga after beating the QB gods, she's not even an upgraded top rank opponent like everyone else, she's just a level 7 and her responses around the game are all super chill and eager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carmant posted:

She's Seto Kaiba.