Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

NATO should be doing a lot that it isn't right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

poor waif posted:

I guess it'd be useful for distracting Ukraine so that they have to keep troops near the Transnistrian border.

I like that the helicopters has missing windows... before the drone strike.

Disposable spare parts heap is found useful for Russian false flag op. :rolleyes:

edit: wrong word fixed.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 17, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Some NATO members really should just liberate Transnistria and dare Russia to do something about it.

Romania has an official position of reunification with Moldova, so it's not unthinkable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1769781735938527511

Content: CV90 IFV Review. The Ukrainians seem to like it a lot.

Also goddamn sometimes it's easy to forget how loving big 40mm projectiles are, those shell casings are big enough to use as a mace.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1769781735938527511

Content: CV90 IFV Review. The Ukrainians seem to like it a lot.

Also goddamn sometimes it's easy to forget how loving big 40mm projectiles are, those shell casings are big enough to use as a mace.

This pretty much happened in WWII. USS Buckley rammed U-66, and a fight with mostly improvised weapons between the two deck crews broke out. Buckley's deck gunners resorted to throwing three-inch shell casings at the Germans when they tried to board.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

PurpleXVI posted:

Remember how some Ukrainians took donations to write memes on their shells and missiles?

Predictably the Russians have started doing the same, and it's all Confederate/MAGA poo poo.

The Door Frame posted:

The levels of irony there... my brain breaks and all I can see is that picture of Adrien Arcand staring into my soul

From a few days ago, but I would like to point out that the Grishaputin guy is Grisha who was a HOI4 streamer before all this started. So the image is very HOI4 vibes being posted by a HOI4 streamer.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Kazinsal posted:

This pretty much happened in WWII. USS Buckley rammed U-66, and a fight with mostly improvised weapons between the two deck crews broke out. Buckley's deck gunners resorted to throwing three-inch shell casings at the Germans when they tried to board.

:stare: Uh, wow. Were there any other boarding actions in WWII where both ships where still active and not just taking over a surrendered vessel?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

No. HMS Cossack did issue cutlasses to the boarding party that captured KM Altmark, but an unarmed freighter is de facto surrendered when a destroyer comes alongside.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I think the cutlass story from the Altmark incident might have been disproven.

I hope not, though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Kazinsal posted:

I like how wikipedia's page on the USS Buckley describes the reaction to that battle among the Navy afterwards.

Wikipedia posted:

For this most interesting action, regarded by several high naval officers as being the most "exciting" anti-submarine kill in the Battle of the Atlantic, Buckley personnel were authorized to wear a combat star in the European-African Theater ribbon.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ronwayne posted:

:stare: Uh, wow. Were there any other boarding actions in WWII where both ships where still active and not just taking over a surrendered vessel?

30 years later you had the Mayaguez incident, which was expected to be an opposed boarding but the Khmer Rouge guys had already cleared out.

The French race to scuttle the fleet at Toulon in WWII before the Germans snagged the ships would maybe count as an opposed boarding action. Panzers on the dock were shooting at the ships!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/DevanaUkraine/status/1769387358791623056?s=20
https://x.com/front_ukrainian/status/1769374567980511357?s=20

things getting spicy in russian controlled Transnistria(no injuries or deaths, just the chopper which apparently wasn't air worthy so people are sus about it)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29709

quote:

Pro-Kyiv Militias Blast Russian Ammunition Warehouse in Cross Border Operation

A video from a drone captured the exact moment artillery struck the building housing ammunition, the ensuing fire, and the explosive detonation of the munitions inside.

They seem to be having more staying power than the last time they rolled across the border, though whether that's a matter of their training and equipment, or the Russians starting to be starved for same, is up in the air.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29709

They seem to be having more staying power than the last time they rolled across the border, though whether that's a matter of their training and equipment, or the Russians starting to be starved for same, is up in the air.

If true, them having artillery isn’t something I remember hearing about previously.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ABC(the Australian Broadcasting Corporation) also made a massive fuckup recently:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1768062932951150857

They made a "let's see how the other side is doing!"-"documentary" from the Russian trenches that makes an attempt to "humanise" the Russian invaders, how poorly they have it, how they feel misunderstood by the world, how they're just fighting to "defend the motherland" and how sad it is for them that they've lost friends in the fighting.

Wisely, perhaps, they cut comments on the post advertising it. So instead every single other Tweet they make about other stuff gets utterly bombarded with hate, and people are submitting a bunch of complaints about them. The Ukrainian government isn't very entertained, either:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/ukraine-envoy-slams-abc-over-bowl-of-vomit-documentary-20240319-p5fdn6.html

quote:

Ukraine envoy slams ABC over ‘bowl of vomit’ documentary

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29750

quote:

EU Drafts Law to Send Profits from Frozen Russian Assets to Ukraine

If passed, the EU legislation would provide a mechanism for Ukraine to receive money from frozen Russian assets in July.

I'm disappointed they're only getting the profits rather than the assets entirely. I know there's been some whinging about "oh but if we do that then dictators and people diametrically opposed to any kind of liberal or progressive existence won't save their money with us" to which I would reply "good, gently caress them." Plus if they knew their finances were on the line for loving around, that might want them to avoid the "finding out"-phase and pressure them to behave differently.

Still, better than nothing.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29749

quote:

FT: EU to Introduce Tariffs on Russian, Belarusian Farm Imports

The move follows recent calls to restrict Russian and Belarusian farm imports from some of the bloc’s eastern members and would see tariffs imposed on cereals, oil seeds and their derivatives.

Maybe this will finally get the European farmers to shut the gently caress up and stop having the worst opinions imaginable. Ha ha, as if. Still, good, gently caress the Russian and Belarussian economies up some more. Full economic warfare.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Polish farmers are blocking the border, indeed. https://www.dw.com/en/polish-farmers-block-crossings-on-german-border-again/a-68606244

Strange that they would block the border to Ukraine and Germany though if Belarussian imports were a problem for them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29750

I'm disappointed they're only getting the profits rather than the assets entirely. I know there's been some whinging about "oh but if we do that then dictators and people diametrically opposed to any kind of liberal or progressive existence won't save their money with us" to which I would reply "good, gently caress them." Plus if they knew their finances were on the line for loving around, that might want them to avoid the "finding out"-phase and pressure them to behave differently.

Still, better than nothing.

It's less that people are scared of losing dictator money (Switzerland probably is, but they aren't in the EU) and more that the way the laws are written, the EU can only seize the interest and the dividends, not the assets themselves.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And also, the EU is a Law Golem. The EU itself flagrantly going against those laws makes the whole thing unravel. You can always fudge the details, and seizing the profits is exactly that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Polish farmers are blocking the border, indeed. https://www.dw.com/en/polish-farmers-block-crossings-on-german-border-again/a-68606244

Strange that they would block the border to Ukraine and Germany though if Belarussian imports were a problem for them.

Oh it's greed that makes them block the borders, but if they earn more money from blocked Russian imports that might make them stop blocking Ukrainian imports.

psydude posted:

It's less that people are scared of losing dictator money (Switzerland probably is, but they aren't in the EU) and more that the way the laws are written, the EU can only seize the interest and the dividends, not the assets themselves.

Laws can be changed, though, and there are mechanisms that WOULD let them amp up the seizures, and "oh no the dictator money" has been used as an argument not to do that.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-unlikely-confiscate-russian-central-bank-assets-officials-2024-01-23/

quote:

European officials are concerned not only with the legality of such an unprecedented confiscation of sovereign assets, but also with the potential consequences for the euro currency; investors might pull out of euro assets out of concern their money might one day be seized too.

It's all over the article, really, more concerns about economics than legalities.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

PurpleXVI posted:

ABC(the Australian Broadcasting Corporation) also made a massive fuckup recently

quote:

Tune in Monday for ABC's blockbuster documentary into the experience on the other side of the Eastern Front. Our very own Kevin Brown was on the ground in Greater Germany where the Nazi war machine has retaken the initiative despite setbacks and worldwide condemnation. You'll hear from Fritz, a friendly, 19-year-old, Wehrmacht conscript who says he's simply fighting to defend his Fatherland and race from the Judeo-Bolshevik scourge. While the ABC does not condone Herr Hitler's actions, it's essential to ask the real questions: is the price of peace really so high or should the Allies open negotiations before more young men perish in vain?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

PurpleXVI posted:

They made a "let's see how the other side is doing!"-"documentary" from the Russian trenches that makes an attempt to "humanise" the Russian invaders, how poorly they have it, how they feel misunderstood by the world, how they're just fighting to "defend the motherland" and how sad it is for them that they've lost friends in the fighting.

they should let Mansky do a doc

i want 2 hours of russian soldiers sitting around in a field doing nothing and discussing whatever the russian equivalent of "yo did you hear JLo's dead?" is

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Laws can be changed, though, and there are mechanisms that WOULD let them amp up the seizures, and "oh no the dictator money" has been used as an argument not to do that.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-unlikely-confiscate-russian-central-bank-assets-officials-2024-01-23/

It's all over the article, really, more concerns about economics than legalities.

Yes, laws can be changed, but this is the EU we're taking about. Good luck getting Germany, Ireland, or Malta to agree to reform asset seizure laws.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Ronwayne posted:

During the hunt for The Bismarck, a Free Polish destroyer named The Piorun got close enough to The Bismarck that they started unloading with small arms and throwing trash, all the while signaling "I am a Pole" with their signal lights. They managed to get away.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Pennsylvanian posted:

During the hunt for The Bismarck, a Free Polish destroyer named The Piorun got close enough to The Bismarck that they started unloading with small arms and throwing trash, all the while signaling "I am a Pole" with their signal lights. They managed to get away.

A bit of a shame that she never got to use her torpedoes like the rest of the destroyers in her group, but signaling "Three shots in honor of Poland" before rushing the flagship of the Kreigsmarine was pretty baller. The "I am a Pole" messages are somewhat disputed, but considering that other sailors on a small destroyer were shooting pistols at a battleship, the signalman taunting her with the only thing avaliable to him passes the sniff test

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Door Frame posted:

A bit of a shame that she never got to use her torpedoes like the rest of the destroyers in her group, but signaling "Three shots in honor of Poland" before rushing the flagship of the Kreigsmarine was pretty baller. The "I am a Pole" messages are somewhat disputed, but considering that other sailors on a small destroyer were shooting pistols at a battleship, the signalman taunting her with the only thing avaliable to him passes the sniff test

"I am a Pole" is actually polite-historian speak for "dropped trou at Bismarck's bridge and shouted 'suck it'"

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
German battleship, go gently caress yourself

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

In 1941 37mm was still considered a viable anti-tank round.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

PurpleXVI posted:

ABC(the Australian Broadcasting Corporation) also made a massive fuckup recently:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1768062932951150857

Wisely, perhaps, they cut comments on the post advertising it. So instead every single other Tweet they make about other stuff gets utterly bombarded with hate, and people are submitting a bunch of complaints about them. The Ukrainian government isn't very entertained, either:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/ukraine-envoy-slams-abc-over-bowl-of-vomit-documentary-20240319-p5fdn6.html
I've been stationed in Australia before (now there again on a long TDY), and I'm guessing that this is a byproduct of Australia's sympathy for aggressors backgrounds that seems to be a thing here. Like, "well this dude who stole a ute was raised poorly, so he should be let go"; which isn't entirely wrong but isn't an excuse either.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 20, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It's a byproduct of the ABC being loving hacks and conservative government simps.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/VikingCoffie/status/1769857401161683447

quote:

March 20, Microsoft shuts down cloud services for Russian customers. Amazon and Google follows soon.

This will be a much bigger blow to Russia than you can imagine. Thousands of services rely on these cloud services.

https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-to-suspend-access-to-its-cloud-services-in-russia/

I could imagine that causing some amount of economic chaos, but will it be meaningful in size?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I sense a great disturbance in the force, as if a million staff PowerPoint presentations written in Cyrillic were silenced, all at once.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

man, what loving year is it? why are those cloud services still turned on?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao bunch of pirate media sites are about to eat poo poo.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Carth Dookie posted:

It's a byproduct of the ABC being loving hacks and conservative government simps.

They didn't used to be, once upon a time 😔

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
A bunch of senior officers are about to hear from their online girlfriends for the last time and they don't even know it. ;(

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

A.o.D. posted:

I sense a great disturbance in the force, as if a million staff PowerPoint presentations written in Cyrillic were silenced, all at once.

is it Office stuff too? I thought they were talking about azure/AWS/GCP.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

hello, this is previous sanctions on commodity exports and tech imports, physical goods that should be easy enough to control the flow of calling

hello yes? that succeeded, right?

oh, actually it introduced some temporary inconveniences before becoming somewhat irrelevant? oh.

inb4 MS/AWS/GCloud see a huge influx of Kazakh, Estonian, etc. customers

a bunch of ops folks are gonna have a poo poo few months migrating the nominal ownership of poo poo, but absent targeted enforcement of "can you explain why this tiny company in a country that traditionally has a relatively small software industry suddenly has so much new business?" cases, we're mostly gonna end up shuffling pieces around the board. de facto ownership of digital assets is not something anyone's gonna bother tracing past the legal compliance necessity

some middlemen in countries people in the US doesn't much think about gonna make fukken bank tho

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

They didn't used to be, once upon a time 😔

I think it's basically impossible for them not to be. Conservative governments turn the screws every time they're in power, and Australias media pool is incredibly shallow. Murdoch has a huge monopoly so every journalist works in a Murdoch environment surrounded by Murdoch people and our university journalism courses are structured to educate students to operate under a Murdoch type org.

The ABC has to hire out of the same population pool and thus gets Murdoch people at all levels whether it wants to or not, and there's little to no apparent internal will to do anything different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Given the apparent targeting of their executives by Russian state-sponsored hackers, I wouldn't begrudge Microsoft for doing this even if there weren't a war going on. It's clearly gotten personal for Fancy Bear et al., Nadella's just returning the favor.