Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
its going to be so funny when the democrats lose on the question that's asked every four years: are you better off than you were than you were, four years ago? in the throes of the loving pandemic?

and the answer will be a resounding no, and it will all be on the democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i am harry posted:

….a man famously assassinated is your example?

Lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i am harry posted:

lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is the change theyre talking about. instead of using actual prices they just surveyed homeowners what they thought their poo poo was worth. this is one of the bigger lies in inflation. the other is growth being related to investment (which is detached because of stock buybacks) and a "basket of goods" being able to use "equivalent" items which means they can just adjust down on anything that isnt by weight

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i am harry posted:

That's right

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Playing spot the Fed in doomsday econ, but it's a glowing neon sign

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
they asked the boeing guy to stay in town an extra day and then he died that night gee i loving wonder

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ex post facho posted:

its going to be so funny when the democrats lose on the question that's asked every four years: are you better off than you were than you were, four years ago? in the throes of the loving pandemic?

You know I rolled my eyes at the Weimar comparisons, and I don't think it matches the actual history very much at all, but End of History neoliberalism is by design unable to handle any sort of crisis, so you could not have a more tone-deaf and feckless leadership in charge right now. I think it will lead to some pretty wild poo poo because the only button they have is Manufacture Consent Harder, and it's gotten to the point where they're telling people not to believe their lying eyes multiple times a weak, while giving the president chunky sneakers and adderall so he doesn't fall over or drift off into the sunset where the public can see.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
lol at the president having a wide weighted base like a basketball hoop for a 6yo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

lol at the president having a wide weighted base like a basketball hoop for a 6yo

the successor to biden is going to be one of those weighted inflatable punching bag clowns

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

the successor to biden is going to be one of those weighted inflatable punching bag clowns

Finally, the adults are in charge

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sullat posted:

Finally, the adults are in charge

I mean if you consider mayor pete to be an adult i guess

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anime was right posted:

they asked the boeing guy to stay in town an extra day and then he died that night gee i loving wonder

are the fbi checking this poo poo out or is the local "self-inflicted" bullshit being accepted by the feds?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

are the fbi checking this poo poo out or is the local "self-inflicted" bullshit being accepted by the feds?

the fbi is all over it

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ex post facho posted:

Biden will win due to :airquote:Unique Circumstances:airquote:, we'll get another four years of the greatest gaslighting campaign a political party has ever played on its own constituency

... or Trump will win due to :airquote:Unique Circumstances:airquote:, we'll get another four years of the greatest gaslighting campaign a political party has ever played on its own constituency

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Mar 19, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

the fbi is all over it

the female boeing inspectors

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/LHSummers/status/1762607548828360798

it finally took staring down electoral loss to realize that the cpi is wrong huh

This is good stuff.

Now someone get them to add in food prices. drat their “noisy” bullshit. I want to see what fun things happen to their CPI numbers then.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Danann posted:

it finally took staring down electoral loss to realize that the cpi is wrong huh

wow weird we turned the entire consumer sector into a credit economy, excluded borrowing costs from cpi, and then threw our hands up at how stupid the voters are for not agreeing this is the best economy ever

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Willzilla posted:

is there any way to see my credit card purchase/internet search/demographics profile that advertisers use to target me (specifically) instead of like ‘mid-30s golf dad’ and I get rolled up in there? I wanna know what they know

I worked for a private survey company for a while so I have some insight into this. The short answer is no, you can’t. the data that companies have on you is specific to their industry and is incredibly valuable to advertisers that want to market to you. what ends up happening is there’s deals made to buy and sell that data to other companies for a lot of money. for example, I know capital one spends millions on terabytes of customers and doesn’t even have the data team good enough to actually go through it all so it’s useable.

there are ways to see what some companies have on you. it’s been years, but I know Facebook lets you see and edit your flags as well as Twitter. other companies might not let you see at all.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Danann posted:

Huh, it turns out the volatility they wanted to remove from the measure of inflation was the change in the price of housing and debt. Weird.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SirPablo posted:

$3 circumcision lol

Yeah dude, it's called leaving a tip.

holy fuk delta green is real

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Time is running out for interest rate cuts, market forecaster Jim Bianco warns before Fed meeting

Boeing's rep is so bad now that in an article about interest rate cuts, there is this:

quote:

“The economy is too strong right now,” he said. “It’s in a ‘no landing phase’ as we like to call it. It’s not a Boeing plane. There’s no parts falling off of it, and it’s just continuing to move along at probably a 2.5% to 3% pace.”

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 06:20 on Mar 19, 2024

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

i am harry posted:

lmao

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Time is running out for interest rate cuts, market forecaster Jim Bianco warns before Fed meeting

Boeing's rep is so bad now that in an article about interest rate cuts, there is this:

raise the rates cowards

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Headed off to the economy airport to watch all the parts fall off the economy planes.

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

sullat posted:

wow, now this is doomsday economics. right up there with thiel and his blood boys.

Baby foreskin harvesting is more of a Bill Gates thing, it's all very above board

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

post hole digger posted:

id like to [redacted] larry summer (in mind craft)

I would like for Larry Summers to provide testimony on Boeing's legacy of malfeasance

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

You know I rolled my eyes at the Weimar comparisons, and I don't think it matches the actual history very much at all, but End of History neoliberalism is by design unable to handle any sort of crisis, so you could not have a more tone-deaf and feckless leadership in charge right now. I think it will lead to some pretty wild poo poo because the only button they have is Manufacture Consent Harder, and it's gotten to the point where they're telling people not to believe their lying eyes multiple times a weak, while giving the president chunky sneakers and adderall so he doesn't fall over or drift off into the sunset where the public can see.

If you haven't watched the BBC doc Hypernormalisation yet, you should. I think you'd love it. One of the takeaways was that people in the Soviet Union felt exactly like this immediately prior to the state collapsing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
By 1985, the Soviet Union was being run by liberals, so it isn’t an accident.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thank you Larry summers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is economics the only field where they consistently change how things are measured but then compare historical measurements like they are the same

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

is economics the only field where they consistently change how things are measured but then compare historical measurements like they are the same

"if a weatherman tells you it's about to rain, that has no bearing on whether it might actually rain. If an economist tells you there's about to be a recession, the prediction itself might cause a recession"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Economics is phrenology on the national scale

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Danann posted:

Based

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

euphronius posted:

baseball

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Lawrence H Summers guiding principle is that the people need pain but I'm still surprised he's willing to admit that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was thinking baseball but they are pretty rigorous in creating stats which reach for consistency over eras

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you Larry summers. Somebody should do something

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

euphronius posted:

I was thinking baseball but they are pretty rigorous in creating stats which reach for consistency over eras

race, field dimensions, equipment, drugs

the stats will always miss the defining features on an era

but yeah, doesn't touch Econ like you were looking to compare

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
why does baseball have "Sabermetrics" but no other sport does? [or do they?]

is it because the regimented structure of baseball allows one to reduce players to specific measurable actions, as opposed to, say, basketball, where the players are always in-motion across a variety of roles that they're playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

why does baseball have "Sabermetrics" but no other sport does? [or do they?]

is it because the regimented structure of baseball allows one to reduce players to specific measurable actions, as opposed to, say, basketball, where the players are always in-motion across a variety of roles that they're playing?

the word "saber" is cool