Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Volkova III posted:

It says the plan is to build a temporary airstrip on site for the delivery.
Yeah I saw it but "just build an airfield for a giant cargo plane right next to the wind farm" is kind of yada-yadaing over some possible challenges with that approach.

Might be worthwhile in some cases but I dunno, not going to do any math on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

in production by 2027, lmao.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ok, you got me to look at the actual article and:

I mean, it’s all startup bullshit but this plus those stubby wings don’t really add up.

just buy an old 747-400f and hang the blade end out of a window near the back, like bringing 2x4s home in a compact.

Or Herc them in with the blade stuck out the rear ramp like a hatchback.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Ok, you got me to look at the actual article and:

I mean, it’s all startup bullshit but this plus those stubby wings don’t really add up. If it could hit those numbers surely it’s only going to be useful for very short range transport.

edit: the wings might be ok actually, I wasn’t adding up the real numbers vs the picture. Regardless, this would not be at all capable of efficient intercontinental transport.

If you’re comparing efficiency by weight or number of pallets, it’s absolutely never going to compete. But there’s a (limited) market for oversize air freight that is presently served by AN-124s and previously the AN-225 (and in a more limited fashion by nose-load 747Fs) that has been itching for capacity growth. My gut instinct is that basically anything modern with western engines would be automatically competitive with the AN-124s.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

meltie posted:

just buy an old 747-400f and hang the blade end out of a window near the back, like bringing 2x4s home in a compact.

Or Herc them in with the blade stuck out the rear ramp like a hatchback.

Stick the blades out the side doors for added lift.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Tldr: controller wrong in this case, but that doesn't make it ok to operate in a Bravo without a clearance. If you didn't hear the word "cleared," it's not a clearance. You should be alright but there are no guarantees that the FAA won't review the operation (although it's unlikely). If you have access to a voluntary safety reporting system, this is a good time to make use of it. The information does get captured and can result in follow-up training for controllers that may help reduce the incidence of this kind of thing happening.

I appreciate the feedback. I don't disagree, I was caught off guard enough and traffic below was heavy enough I didn't press the issue when I should have.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I saw it but "just build an airfield for a giant cargo plane right next to the wind farm" is kind of yada-yadaing over some possible challenges with that approach.

Might be worthwhile in some cases but I dunno, not going to do any math on this one

A mile+ long airstrip in an area that is presumably not friendly to heavy ground vehicles.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I don't think the strip has to be actually at the farm site; hauling overland for a few miles is probably easier than from the closest port.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
just get that 747 nasa used to carry the space shuttle and strap the turbine blade on top, bing bong so simple

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Safety Dance posted:

Stick the blades out the side doors for added lift.

Go all the way with this concept: use the blades you're carrying as the cargo plane's wings, and detach them when you've landed at the wind farm.

(Getting the rest of the aircraft back to the factory for the next run is left as an exercise for the student.)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Powered Descent posted:

Go all the way with this concept: use the blades you're carrying as the cargo plane's wings, and detach them when you've landed at the wind farm.

(Getting the rest of the aircraft back to the factory for the next run is left as an exercise for the student.)

VTOL!!!!!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Powered Descent posted:

JATO bottles

lots of em

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I mean hello, Airships could do this, and they wouldn't need the airfield

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

If you’re comparing efficiency by weight or number of pallets, it’s absolutely never going to compete. But there’s a (limited) market for oversize air freight that is presently served by AN-124s and previously the AN-225 (and in a more limited fashion by nose-load 747Fs) that has been itching for capacity growth. My gut instinct is that basically anything modern with western engines would be automatically competitive with the AN-124s.

Ironically, I think Antonov partnered with Boeing to design that successor. No idea how far they got with it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I mean hello, Airships could do this, and they wouldn't need the airfield

That was literally the aim of the CargoLifter project, wasn't it? I'm sure I remember the renders showing it delivering wind generator blades, solar panel stacks, steam turbines, bulldozers, dump trucks, railway locomotives and so on in remote areas.

Isn't the hangar they built for it still standing?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ironically, I think Antonov partnered with Boeing to design that successor. No idea how far they got with it.

A 747 with engines over the wing?

Be still my heart...

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Powered Descent posted:

Much like ambulances on the way to the hospital, there’s no reason for them to leave once they’re there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's no need to build a local runway if you just poop the blades out the back like an A-5 and have them parachute to the ground.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Put them on top of a Falcon rocket, which is already tall and skinny and can land vertically like a helicopter.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i would simply make my startup invent a small and easily transportable machine to build the blades in situ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Put them on top of a Falcon rocket, which is already tall and skinny and can land vertically like a helicopter.
Load them into a Starship so it explodes in the upper atmosphere and distributes wind turbines over a wide area

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So last week I went up to Long Island with my father and I dragged him to this place: https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/historyculture/historic-aircraft-at-hangar-b.htm

If you're in/around NYC I highly recommend hitting this place up, though it does mean suffering the Belt Parkway. It's not a museum, per se, but it does have museum quality artifacts from NY aviation history and the hangar is chock-full of volunteer grease monkeys with foul mouths and friendly (for NYC) dispositions. Apparently "if the flag is up outside, they're open."

The C-97 listed on that site isn't there any longer as it's been permanently relocated to the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading PA.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

That was literally the aim of the CargoLifter project, wasn't it? I'm sure I remember the renders showing it delivering wind generator blades, solar panel stacks, steam turbines, bulldozers, dump trucks, railway locomotives and so on in remote areas.

Isn't the hangar they built for it still standing?

I think the hanger is either a waterpark or a year round Ski hill? The idea of a specific aerial heavy lifter for awkward cargo I don't think is a terrible idea, but like most other things aircraft-y, I think a military will have to underwrite and develop the technology.

BalloonFish, if you have pull with the air-lander dudes, suggest blimps for detecting narco subs. In one of those thoughts that won't quite leave my head despite its personal irrelevance, I think blimps, especially ones built with existing technology, could be quite good at that.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think the hanger is either a waterpark or a year round Ski hill? The idea of a specific aerial heavy lifter for awkward cargo I don't think is a terrible idea, but like most other things aircraft-y, I think a military will have to underwrite and develop the technology.

BalloonFish, if you have pull with the air-lander dudes, suggest blimps for detecting narco subs. In one of those thoughts that won't quite leave my head despite its personal irrelevance, I think blimps, especially ones built with existing technology, could be quite good at that.

I wish I had any involvement, let alone pull, with the Airlander people!

Beyond living 25 minutes' drive from Cardington...

But I think narco sub detection (and other interdiction roles) would be pretty good use cases for the Flying Buttocks. It did originate as a DoD project for an unmanned intel/comms platform that was supposed to loiter on station for weeks at a time, after all.

And finding submarines skulking around the Gulf of Mexico was what the USN used most of its blimp fleet for.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

But I think narco sub detection (and other interdiction roles) would be pretty good use cases for the Flying Buttocks. It did originate as a DoD project for an unmanned intel/comms platform that was supposed to loiter on station for weeks at a time, after all.

And finding submarines skulking around the Gulf of Mexico was what the USN used most of its blimp fleet for.

Yeah, it fits so well I'm surprised either the Airlander boys or LockMart are not angling for it.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Love Cloudberg. This doesn't deserve to languish on the previous page tho people in here will already be familiar with her writing I hope.

AdmiralCloudberg posted:

At the moment flight 8303 reached the stabilization gate, it met none of these criteria — not a single one! The aircraft was significantly above the glideslope with large inputs required to intercept it; the airspeed was 75 knots too high; the landing gear wasn’t down; the rate of descent was 1,800 feet per minute and increasing; engine power was at idle; and the landing checklist had not been performed.

(...)

In fact, Gul was so eager to land that he attempted to engage both thrust reversers while the airplane was still 7 feet above the ground. The A320, being a sane aircraft, did not allow him to do this; neither thrust reverser deployed

(...)

The performance of the flight crew could only be described as shambolic. They made almost none of their required callouts, performed no checklists, ignored standard procedures, intentionally disregarded ATC instructions, triggered and ignored almost every possible top-level warning, and generally operated the airplane in a reckless and unsafe manner, without regard for human life.

The article is incredibly detailed (as are the hundreds of others they've written) and easy to read and well worth your lunchtime attention each Monday!

Plus, holy hell, I do more checklists than that single pilot, drunk, in my home flight sim.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, that's pretty mind blowing. It's like they messed up one element of the approach and instead of taking some basic corrective steps they decided gently caress it, let's not do a single thing correctly for the rest of our lives.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, that's pretty mind blowing. It's like they messed up one element of the approach and instead of taking some basic corrective steps they decided gently caress it, let's not do a single thing correctly for the rest of our lives.

I honestly can't think of a more rational explanation.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

we have pilot hubris at home

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The C-97 listed on that site isn't there any longer as it's been permanently relocated to the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading PA.

this is worth the trip if you care to also experience the deep weirdness of the northernmost Bojangles franchise on the face of the earth. White gravy instead of brown, cranberry sauce instead of mac-n-cheese, and you gotta season your own cajun fries, they deliver them plain but have a huge shaker next to the fountain drink machine

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

this is worth the trip if you care to also experience the deep weirdness of the northernmost Bojangles franchise on the face of the earth. White gravy instead of brown, cranberry sauce instead of mac-n-cheese, and you gotta season your own cajun fries, they deliver them plain but have a huge shaker next to the fountain drink machine

:one:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the flip side of that is they will straight up sell you the fry seasoning by the pound

Cook-Out's is better anyway

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

shame on an IGA posted:

Cook-Out's is better anyway

Cook-out is so terribly underrated.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Corn Burst posted:

they're still too hit & miss, the one closest to me is god tier but most of the ones I've been to in NC sucked. If they ever hit McD consistency they'll be unstoppable

and I can't poo poo on PA too hard, the PHL terminal Smashburger is still the high water mark of best fries I've ever had in my entire life

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 19, 2024

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm reading it and thinking "huh, I guess Canada still lets them fly in?"

On the basis of those airline stewards vanishing (immigrating)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Corn Burst posted:

Creeping their way steadily northward. There are now Cook-Outs in Manassas Park and Winchester VA.

The Reese's Cup shake is :discourse:.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

shame on an IGA posted:

they're still too hit & miss, the one closest to me is god tier but most of the ones I've been to in NC sucked. If they ever hit McD consistency they'll be unstoppable...

We've only had sucky ones in North & South Carolina. Maybe it's the proximity to I-95, but we gave up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

We've only had sucky ones in North & South Carolina. Maybe it's the proximity to I-95, but we gave up.

the top two are Bennettsville SC and Akron Dr. in Winston Salem. If you find yourself on I-85, who cares there's Culvers in Salisbury and Charlotte just go there

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Cook Out on Western Ave in Raleigh was god tier but I was also a drunk college student so that probably had more to do with it then any difference in food quality

Not the sort of food people would be happy for you to bring on an airplane though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005