Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nobunaga’s time was right before the taiko we see in the beginning of this series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Peanut Butler posted:

so the Taiko- is that supposed to be Nobunaga?

This is maybe the first time I'm absorbing media about Sengoku/Edo Japan, that isn't primarily Japanese- super interesting to contrast to (generally pretty studious and accurate) manga and (balls-out wild and inaccurate) video games im more familiar with

Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who was Nobunaga's successor

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Nobunaga has been dead for close to 20 years when the series starts, as mentioned already, the Taiko was Hideyoshi and the little kid they're all serving as the regent for is Hideyoshi's son.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ah, got it, thanks!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't know if his name will come up in the show much but "Goroda" is how they refer to Nobunaga in the book. Because it's Oda with a few extra letters I guess.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ohhhh ok I thought the taiko was Goroda, and that those scenes of his death were about 20 years prior to 1600, for some reason

the changed names thing is, a choice

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, that deathbed flashback scene was only a year before the events happening in the show.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
been said a lot, but fuji immediately sticking the gun in the samurai's face while pulling up her sleeve presumably for etiquette reasons ruled loving hard

also blackthorne apparently stopped off at world war one before he got to japan, where'd he get those mega cannons? :thunk:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Dante posted:

Is there a digital edition/kindle edition of this book where parts haven't been cut out for some weird reason by the publisher?

For what it's worth, I just went through the Kindle "Read sample" section, which covers the prologue and Chapter 1, which is where the bathing scene is that has the village ladies commenting on how endowed Blackthorne is, and I can't see any changes compared with the copy I bought years ago. So maybe that 1-star review was just wrong.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Eau de MacGowan posted:

also blackthorne apparently stopped off at world war one before he got to japan, where'd he get those mega cannons? :thunk:

What's mega about them? They aren't doing anything more than what a cannon of that period could do.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Great War artillery makes these cannons look like pop guns.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

For what it's worth, I just went through the Kindle "Read sample" section, which covers the prologue and Chapter 1, which is where the bathing scene is that has the village ladies commenting on how endowed Blackthorne is, and I can't see any changes compared with the copy I bought years ago. So maybe that 1-star review was just wrong.

Great! Thanks, I'll give that version a try then.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
For all the Game of Thrones comparisons, Shogun is really much closer to The Wire - it's got the constant narcing from all sides, scheming scoundrels who just aren't quite smart enough to come out on top, the intricate social expectations and suffocating codes of conduct within a system that will ultimately devour us all, the focus on translation and communication, the short and dispassionate bursts of violence, the wealthy criminal shipping syndicate led by devious foreigners, and the lead is a drunk-sounding Englishman who thinks the rules shouldn't apply to him and keeps pissing everyone off. It rocks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

grobbo posted:

For all the Game of Thrones comparisons, Shogun is really much closer to The Wire

Fuji: Where's the baby, Tadayoshi? WHERE THE gently caress IS THE BABY? TADAYOSHI!?! TADAYOSHI! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! WHERE THE gently caress IS THE BABY, HUH!?! I don't want this kosode wearing motherfucker representing me, so just get the gently caress back down to Osaka!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Peanut Butler posted:

the changed names thing is, a choice

Well the show/book, while broadly accurate to history, is mostly made up stuff obviously. IIRC Clavell changed the names so he could have them do whatever he wanted them to do for the novel and not be accused of being a historical revisionist or whatever. There's more leeway to say "and then he was over here doing this" because theres no actual historical record that definitively proves that the real person wasn't.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

grobbo posted:

For all the Game of Thrones comparisons, Shogun is really much closer to The Wire - it's got the constant narcing from all sides, scheming scoundrels who just aren't quite smart enough to come out on top, the intricate social expectations and suffocating codes of conduct within a system that will ultimately devour us all, the focus on translation and communication, the short and dispassionate bursts of violence, the wealthy criminal shipping syndicate led by devious foreigners, and the lead is a drunk-sounding Englishman who thinks the rules shouldn't apply to him and keeps pissing everyone off. It rocks.

Not having seen The Wire, I've basically been comparing everything against Rome. Sounds like the Wire is the next show I'm binging.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The perfect comparison in Chernobyl was already made, no need to keep exploring comps

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well the show/book, while broadly accurate to history, is mostly made up stuff obviously. IIRC Clavell changed the names so he could have them do whatever he wanted them to do for the novel and not be accused of being a historical revisionist or whatever. There's more leeway to say "and then he was over here doing this" because theres no actual historical record that definitively proves that the real person wasn't.

The weird thing is, many of the changes in the show are done to make it more historically accurate. Like, Blackthorne bringing the cannons actually does have a historical basis Ieyasu Tokugawa did indeed have the european cannons brought out during the battle of Sekigahara.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 16, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

kiimo posted:

The perfect comparison in Chernobyl was already made, no need to keep exploring comps

Watching the Wire if you’ve never seen it is not a bad idea either way, especially if you’re waiting for more Shogun.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Japanese trailer just straight-up says: Toranaga, inspired by Tokugawa Ieyasu; Mariko, inspired by Hosokawa Gracia; etc, etc. It's a nice touch because I guess it's like a Japanese-US production about the American Revolution based off a Japanese manga with the main character named Grant Waterson, inspired by George Washington.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1vH-7robk (warning, there are shots in there from beyond episode 4)

On a different note about the names, in one of the promotional interviews, Hiroyuki Sanada mentions that in translation, Toranaga is 虎長, "tiger" and "long", but they changed it to 虎永, "Tiger forever". The official podcast mentions that they changed other names, because Clavell didn't run this poo poo by a feudal Japan expert (they were more polite in how they said that). So Fujiko became Fuji, Kasigi Yabu became Kashigi Yabushige, and the village name was changed from Anjiro to Ajiro.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 16, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

skooma512 posted:

Watching the Wire if you’ve never seen it is not a bad idea either way, especially if you’re waiting for more Shogun.

Yeah seriously

You could do a lot worse than the greatest tv show of all time!

OP's comparison is pretty apposite, I think

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
LMFAO at posting in a prestige TV thread but somehow not having watched The Wire.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

withak posted:

LMFAO at posting in a prestige TV thread but somehow not having watched The Wire.

C'mon bud no need to be exclusionary about it

Everyone's got a Something Canonical they've not got round to yet

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

withak posted:

Strong Dwight Schrute energy

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

LMFAO if you haven't read the original Wire books.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Paracausal posted:

Great War artillery makes these cannons look like pop guns.

They're not even that impressive compared to what was contemporary canons. The Dardanelles Gun for example weighed 16 tonnes and was capable of bringing down the walls of Constantinople.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The fun thing is, if they wanted to do a sequel, the actual story of William Adams is pretty good.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The official podcast mentions that they changed other names, because Clavell didn't run this poo poo by a feudal Japan expert (they were more polite in how they said that). So Fujiko became Fuji, Kasigi Yabu became Kashigi Yabushige, and the village name was changed from Anjiro to Ajiro.

I'd been wondering about those name changes... thought I was losing my mind at first, then thought, 'oh they're changing her name to Fuji to be like the mountain or some bullshit'. That's amazing that they're actually, I dunno, fixing things.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Does Shogun take place before or after the Mongolian invasions?

Mongol invasions: midgame crusader kings
Shogun: midgame Europa universalis

*taps head*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://collider.com/shogun-hiroyuki-sanada/

Hiroyuki Sanada does all his own stunts and fighting.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
binged this over the weekend and it's maybe the best show i've seen in the past year. really makes me want a similar treatment for the boshin war.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah this show is so amazingly good. I can't find a single fault in it other than I have to stare at the screen to read all the subtitles.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Peanut Butler posted:

so the Taiko- is that supposed to be Nobunaga?

This is maybe the first time I'm absorbing media about Sengoku/Edo Japan, that isn't primarily Japanese- super interesting to contrast to (generally pretty studious and accurate) manga and (balls-out wild and inaccurate) video games im more familiar with

toyotomi hideyoshi. You may remember him from such episodes as "I will conquer all of asia."

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

That scene in ep. 2 in which Ishido banters with Yabu about pulling him out of a pile of bodies is a reference to the time the Taiko tried to conquer Korea. All the daimyos were there genociding their way across the peninsula, except for Toranaga.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

Yeah this show is so amazingly good. I can't find a single fault in it other than I have to stare at the screen to read all the subtitles.

In our giant meeting at Universal today everyone was raving about this show and also mentioning that you can't look at your phone while watching it so there's a level of paying attention that enhances it.

I can't remember the last show I WATCHED watched.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Great, studio heads are going to take the wrong lesson again and put subtitles in everything.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Mariko: You appear to be in good spirits today.
Blackthorne: I got my poo poo sucked crazy style!!!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

kiimo posted:

In our giant meeting at Universal today everyone was raving about this show and also mentioning that you can't look at your phone while watching it so there's a level of paying attention that enhances it.

I can't remember the last show I WATCHED watched.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Great, studio heads are going to take the wrong lesson again and put subtitles in everything.

Off-the-cuff thought: I think some of the secret sauce to Shogun is that the book, which the show is doing a good job adhering to, was written before Save The Cat-style rules to audience engagement became the be-all, end-all way of crafting a plot. Audiences have had about two decades of being able to see where a show is going, which is either wasted-potential mystery box poo poo, or super-predictable hero's journey stuff.

That and the world-building is really, really good.

Edit; made my words match my thoughts better.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 19, 2024

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

New episode owns so far. Goddamn I love this series. The dinner scene is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Jozen at the end of ep4: :kheldragar: