Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

I'm not really a CSPAM poster but I've got two questions for especially folks who generally support the present Chinese model

1. Are there any empirical studies/investigative reports that are actually reliable that you can point me to that show how the conditions of labor have changed in the last 10 years? Folks like Wang Hui, whose book "China's 20th Century" I read, argued that the mass migrations from rural areas to urban areas, and especially special economic zones, created a group of "New Workers," several hundred million strong, who have some generational connections to the countryside but are solidly urban. Their wages are low, and they work long hours under conditions of industrial drudgery (moreso in the free trade zones). What has happened to these folks as a group since, say, 2016? Have things gotten better for them in any way?

2. What are the actual experiences of Africans working on BRI-funded initiatives like? I'm looking for information on this, maybe even a book (that is serious in its empirical inquiry but also sympathetic to revolutionary politics and decidedly not anti-communist?) I've found good stuff from the Tricontinental Institute broadly showing how the conditions of BRI debt are far and away better than World Bank/Paris Club debt, but I have seen less on the immediate impacts on regular people and especially workers in the many African BRI projects

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is a "China in Africa" podcast, I think they talk about BRI decent amount. Just a lead.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1769695046268309797

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/business/status/1769848379595473301?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

top 666 anime betrayals

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

genericnick posted:

top 666 anime betrayals

Imran Khan getting sent to super jail for this is even "funnier" in hindsight

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the US would lose its mind if China sent destroyers between Catalina Island and the California coast to assert "freedom of navigation"

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Isentropy posted:

Imran Khan getting sent to super jail for this is even "funnier" in hindsight

Pakistan could have tried being a sovereign nation instead of americucks at any point in the last 40 years.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Isentropy posted:

I bet this has caused lots of fun for anyone trying to operate a motor. Are the plugs at least physically different? I bet I know the answer

of course they're not different. and if you blow up something that expected a different frequency that's on you for not reading carefully lol

this is a typical grounded outlet (3-prong outlets aren't common so you have to ground most things yourself like this)

they also allow the sale of unusual power strips

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mila kunis posted:

Pakistan could have tried being a sovereign nation instead of americucks at any point in the last 40 years.

Have they got nukes?

parasyte posted:

Horrifying

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

China should invade the Philippines

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

genericnick posted:

top 666 anime betrayals

I don't think india was going to dump russia. It would be the other way around.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

parasyte posted:

of course they're not different. and if you blow up something that expected a different frequency that's on you for not reading carefully lol

this is a typical grounded outlet (3-prong outlets aren't common so you have to ground most things yourself like this)

this is how you get a man with the skills to build a gun that can kill not only the leader of a country, but his reputation and legacy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

parasyte posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

parasyte posted:

what the gently caress

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol every time i see some news about the phillipines posted it's them taking another step to full ukrainization

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

shwinnebego posted:

I'm not really a CSPAM poster but I've got two questions for especially folks who generally support the present Chinese model

1. Are there any empirical studies/investigative reports that are actually reliable that you can point me to that show how the conditions of labor have changed in the last 10 years? Folks like Wang Hui, whose book "China's 20th Century" I read, argued that the mass migrations from rural areas to urban areas, and especially special economic zones, created a group of "New Workers," several hundred million strong, who have some generational connections to the countryside but are solidly urban. Their wages are low, and they work long hours under conditions of industrial drudgery (moreso in the free trade zones). What has happened to these folks as a group since, say, 2016? Have things gotten better for them in any way?

2. What are the actual experiences of Africans working on BRI-funded initiatives like? I'm looking for information on this, maybe even a book (that is serious in its empirical inquiry but also sympathetic to revolutionary politics and decidedly not anti-communist?) I've found good stuff from the Tricontinental Institute broadly showing how the conditions of BRI debt are far and away better than World Bank/Paris Club debt, but I have seen less on the immediate impacts on regular people and especially workers in the many African BRI projects

Thanks!

1. what do you mean by "their wages are low?" compared to what? surely they're moving because better wages are in the cities?

quote:

"China's 20th Century"

What must China do to become truly democratic and equitable? This question animates most progressive debates about this potential superpower, and inChina’s Twentieth Century the country’s leading critic, Wang Hui, turns to the past for an answer. Beginning with the birth of modern politics in the 1911 revolution, Wang tracks the initial flourishing of political life, its blossoming in the radical sixties, and its decline in China’s more recent liberalization, to arrive at the crossroads of the present day. Examining the emergence of new class divisions between ethnic groups in the context of Tibet and Xinjiang, alongside the resurgence of neoliberalism through the lens of the Chongqing Incident, Wang Hui argues for a revival of social democracy as the only just path for China’s future.
lmfao. idk how you can be a "new leftist" against liberalization but also for social democracy.

i saw this video recently that mentioned that more workers are choosing to remain in their home province but idk any numbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CIcH83cOJY

2. this has been my go to for posting about china/africa BRI poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5uzxV8ub9k

also here's that china/africa podcast that stephenthinkpad mentioned. i think one of the hosts works at the tricontinental as well: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsXBQLRX_LybcDnMgnHsTd_dhHeRQJvWa

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

parasyte posted:

I just want to quote this thing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1768556387385176104

tag your cia posting station

mine's hanoi

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

this is how you get a man with the skills to build a gun that can kill not only the leader of a country, but his reputation and legacy

https://twitter.com/vintagefronnie/status/1769348112739352998

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol, I've never seen it!

edit: hmm... will I end up in an Australian jail with the Hillsong church destroyed if I watch it?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You'd never see a Hamilton fan do something so cool

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ChinaScience/status/1769589551830290462

let's get this rice vertically

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

code:
[url]https://twitter.com/moghilemear13/status/1769590480830881932[/url]
[url]https://twitter.com/gonglei89/status/1764884241626923026[/url]

quote:

the gordon changification of pettis continues apace

Receipt taken.

This thread is now a repo.

One more.

🤔

We’ll see…

Reasonable suspicions but might as well keep track of this one too.

Another one.

░R░E░C░I░E░P░T░ ░I░N░ ░T░H░R░E░A░D░

pettis et al are here to carry on the torch of gordan chang watching!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How is this news. No poo poo lol.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

Has the AI gap between China and the US widened with the introduction of SORA?
Step into the future with our video that explores the crossroads at which AI technology stands today. Faced with the challenge of escalating computational demands for systems like ChatGPT and the colossal investments into chip technology proposed by industry giants, we ask: What lies beyond the horizon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPg32lHlpU0

the superstitious occident using massed brute force techniques in the blasphemous goal to create a tech god to beguile us with false images vs the celestial's targeted development of precision prediction and production tools

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just want to quote this thing.

They used to sell those in the US too.

100 vs 120 is not really a big deal, I have a converter for like weird antique poo poo I don't want to even imagine blowing up but every day in the winter I trust my balls to a nominal 100v heater working fine with American 120v. US 120 was 110 to begin with and when transmission got better and losses got lower we just relabeled everything. It's the 50hz/60hz gap that can get weird, especially because 1xx/50 is otherwise limited to Euro electric shavers.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Remember back when they couped Evo Morales and Twitter was suddenly filled with new accounts claiming to be Bolivian and posting the exact same block of text about how they've always opposed him?

You hardly need explicit reports like this to know that three letter agencies astroturf online, they barely try to hide it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

crepeface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPg32lHlpU0

the superstitious occident using massed brute force techniques in the blasphemous goal to create a tech god to beguile us with false images vs the celestial's targeted development of precision prediction and production tools

*tears in my eyes* GOSPLAN could have been so beautifulll :ussr:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

this proves Chinese social media platforms are being used to spread disinformation

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

amazing

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

China should invade the Philippines
:hai:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Gradenko

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://x.com/beijingpalmer/status/1769883332181926317?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

When it comes to “China experts”it runs in the family.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Danann posted:

pettis et al are here to carry on the torch of gordan chang watching!

So, in essence, the growth targets have been hit whilst "Beijing" has been ignoring all the poo poo being thrown around by experts who cannot chew gum and walk at the same time? Colour me shocked.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Josef bugman posted:

So, in essence, the growth targets have been hit whilst "Beijing" has been ignoring all the poo poo being thrown around by experts who cannot chew gum and walk at the same time? Colour me shocked.

but you can't ignore the genocide of lee ka-shing wannabes

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Josef bugman posted:

Now hold up, that may all be true, but the property bubble hasn't been reinflated. This spells doom for China.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

lol every time i see some news about the phillipines posted it's them taking another step to full ukrainization

please don't forget that many of us have been demanding that the USA leave us the gently caress alone for decades

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Mar 19, 2024

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chinese Windows 11

Otherwise known as Windows XI

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

gradenko_2000 posted:

please don't forget that many of us have been demanding that the USA leave us the gently caress alone for decades

Good luck.