Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Very sad to notice that if I take a stalwart, stand next to the pelican, dump into the side and walk the ricochets into myself, I don't take damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I thought I was buying the shield backpack.

It was the secondary riot shield :suicide:

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Sokani posted:

Time to go robot hunting with the SMG!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Sokani posted:

Same, I even deployed to a mission with it and didn’t realize my mistake until the drop pod opened.

What is this garbage? Where’s my big shiny yellow ball?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXFdTmy-xcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkmA56xpX6U

Holy poo poo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sokani posted:

Today I learned the obvious in hindsight fact that you will throw your riot shield to the ground in order to pick up explosive barrels or SEAF artillery shells :eng99:

I mean sure, switch to a support weapon but guess when I was giving the EAT another chance again too!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I picked up the EAT on the weekend and I'm a full convert. Now that it's useful against Chargers this thing loving rocks. Best part is how it helps your teammates out as well. Having two of them lying around on any given battlefield increases your teams odds immensely almost regardless of what difficult situation you find yourselves in.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a cap on Samples like there is on Requisition and Medals?

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yes. I'm capped out patiently waiting for new upgrades, someday.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, 500/250/100.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Away all Goats posted:

500/250/100

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cool, lost like 24 commons and 3 super rares after a really long and tiring diff 7 bot mission with ion storm and increased stratagem deployment time because the last two dudes got one-shot by a random explosion just as the extract lands. I'm so done with bot missions right now, on top of HD2 giving you fuckall if you fail to get the extract done. It's funny how bugs end up feeling so much more well balanced with the charger/rocket change and tweaking their spawn rates after how big of a deal chargers were previously, but bot missions are just so loving bad right now because of how they fight along with their associated operation modifiers crippling your ability to fight, on top of random bugs loving you over (love to die to the chaingun heavies clipping through rocks and getting to shoot at you).

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The robots feel so much more harder than bugs at the moment by like a lot

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spudd posted:

The robots feel so much more harder than bugs at the moment by like a lot
Every single thing about the bots is more dangerous than their bug equivalent, with the exception of jetpack bots vs hunters and situationally bile titan vs tank.
Bile spewers come close to competing with rocket devastators but they don't even show up on most bug missions (I am once again saying they should put bile bugs in every bug mission above diff5). Even the side objectives are miles apart, spore spewer is trivial and stalker nests are annoying but nothing compared to detector towers or stratagem blockers for danger.

All that said, I think bots are much more fun to fight against.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the bots dont even have their titan unit yet lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Darox posted:

Every single thing about the bots is more dangerous than their bug equivalent, with the exception of jetpack bots vs hunters and situationally bile titan vs tank.
Bile spewers come close to competing with rocket devastators but they don't even show up on most bug missions (I am once again saying they should put bile bugs in every bug mission above diff5). Even the side objectives are miles apart, spore spewer is trivial and stalker nests are annoying but nothing compared to detector towers or stratagem blockers for danger.

All that said, I think bots are much more fun to fight against.

Bile Spewers are shitfests to fight when they're piled up at range or behind an obstacle because they have the alt-fire assblaster artillery shot. Bile bugs have shown up in just about everything I've seen above diff 5 btw, and they don't have any light armored spots, except for the rear end of the bug which has over 2000hp, and the spindly middle sections of the legs which are unarmored. Everything else is Medium armor which deflects all light armor penetrating rounds.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

orange juche posted:

Bile Spewers are shitfests to fight when they're piled up at range or behind an obstacle because they have the alt-fire assblaster artillery shot. Bile bugs have shown up in just about everything I've seen above diff 5 btw, and they don't have any light armored spots, except for the rear end of the bug which has over 2000hp, and the spindly middle sections of the legs which are unarmored. Everything else is Medium armor which deflects all light armor penetrating rounds.

I regularly play on difficulty 7 and bile spewers (and the baby spitters/bile warriors that come with them) are uncommon and mission-dependent. When they do actually show up it's a good time but it feels like maybe one in five missions actually has them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darox posted:

(I am once again saying they should put bile bugs in every bug mission above diff5).

You take that back.

Darox posted:

When they do actually show up it's a good time

:mad:

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Bots can be harder in the sense that if you get piled by too many patrols at once, you've just got no shot at hanging around, and if you're on an objective it can be a run ender. However their bases and heavies are much easier to kill, and from much longer ranges. Bots really reward playing more cautiously and I find them really fun.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Spookydonut posted:

the bots dont even have their titan unit yet lol

Do the tanks not count?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Bots can be harder in the sense that if you get piled by too many patrols at once, you've just got no shot at hanging around, and if you're on an objective it can be a run ender. However their bases and heavies are much easier to kill, and from much longer ranges. Bots really reward playing more cautiously and I find them really fun.
I think Bots also rewards hittin' da bricks more than Bugs. Bugs you can usually overcome and punch through to complete an objective, but Bots you need to be more willing to walk away and let it reset and come at it from a different angle. They can really build up a critical mass that gets reinforced as fast as you can attrition it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've not fought bots much with goons, but with pubbies their biggest problem is trying to fight them like bugs. Too much standing out in the open and running around, not using cover, and getting blasted for it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TheNabster posted:

Do the tanks not count?

the tanks can be taken out with two grenades or a single 110mm rocket strike (one of the few things they're actually semi-reliable at, even). they don't hold a candle to a charger, let alone a bile titan

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They should probably just make bot rockets have about the same impact as a charger/hive commander rush. Being shell shocked, ragdolled, and possibly thrown out of cover is plenty for a projectile troopers and devastators are throwing at you constantly.

If super samples weren't a thing I'd mostly play bot 5s and 6s. I enjoy assaulting their bases a lot more than bug nests.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 19, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Oneiros posted:

the tanks can be taken out with two grenades or a single 110mm rocket strike (one of the few things they're actually semi-reliable at, even). they don't hold a candle to a charger, let alone a bile titan

Bots not having anything as annoyingly bulky as chargers is part of what makes them fun and good.

e: Although I will say that with the improvements to rockets and flamethrowers (and spawn rates) that chargers aren't that bad anymore. Still though, bots are fun because of their high damage output and relatively lower hp units, having a fat blob that absorbs hits like a BT as a regular spawn would make them less enjoyable.

Darox fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 19, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chargers suck poo poo but can definitely be taken down with a concentrated blast from a flamethrower. Bait the charge like a bull while burning them then diveroll out of the way and keep the flame on them till they pop like a bug. The flamethrower buff feels good for chargers and smaller bugs with the exception of poo poo like hunters and stalkers because they're both too quick to get enough heat on them to make them pop. Stalkers and hunters both go down like potatoes with some attention from a Slugger, though.

I'm goofing around at rank 8 solo running a slugger or a breaker and a flamethrower and shield backpack, and I don't really have any issues with just about anything. BTs go down from a well aimed stratagem either an orbital rail gun , a 500 underneath them, or literally dropping something like a resupply on their dome.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 19, 2024

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

LazyMaybe posted:

Alright, going and fiddling about with this myself-you're correct, you can oneshot them, no stealth nerf happened and ps5 player in the party not required.
It's just really fiddly and they have to be perfectly over top of it, in a way that is tough to finagle when other bugs are around.

https://i.imgur.com/BCPZY7g.mp4
Aren't "Eliminate Bile Titan" missions lower difficulty levels only? Might find that they have less health on those too.

Pretty sure there are some differences in enemy HP and attributes (e.g. Bile Spewers having armour on their faces on higher difficulties, etc)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

there are two different types of spewers, one is more armoured than the other. afaik difficulty does not modify enemy hp or armour at all. bile titans are just really finnicky about damage, probably because of their enormous model and multi-part hp pools (and whatever the gently caress is going on with the ps5 player bug)

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just remember you can shoot out the sacks on a bile titan with small arms to do extra damage and prevent them from spitting. Its kinda preferable to do that first so your 500kg or w/e is guaranteed to kill.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

TheNabster posted:

Do the tanks not count?

the tanks are the chargers, the hulks are the brood commanders or maybe stalkers

the titan will be the titan

nursery spewers are the yellow ones and you know they are around because there is a yellow fog they generate

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The rocket devastators are the team mates.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

now that you can make a charger eat a rocket for a guaranteed kill they're substantially less annoying/disruptive, assuming you've got a rocket person on your team who is in a good position and can aim

i'd still rank them above tanks because it still requires a fairly precisely aimed rocket (and the necessary positioning of both parties) vs two grenades or an eagle beacon lobbed vaguely towards the tank

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I feel like whenever there are spewers in a match there a ton of them. Sometimes you'll come across a POI that has like two and a charger and some smaller bugs, but sometimes you'll see a patrol thats like six spewers and at least as manner smaller bugs. It gets hectic real quick. I do kinda like it though, the bugs having one unit with some range, outside titans, mixes things up a bit. I feel like if the devs were going to put them in every bug mission they should tone down the amount by a little, but also I like the variety of sometimes facing a huge melee swarm and sometimes facing a smaller swarm that has mobile artillery.

Switching factions here I think another thing that makes the bot heavies tough to deal with is that they're not as easy to drag away from all the smaller units as the bug heavies. Chargers and bile titans will chase you and stay on top of you harder than hulks and tanks. Hulks and tanks definitely chase you but they almost always have little bots and devastators very close by, you have to use cover against all of them and can't simply run away out in the open and dive away from their attacks in close range like you can with chargers and bile titans. Also rockets, tank cannons, and towers will one shot you harder than basically anything the bugs throw at you, except probably directly standing in the way of spewer artillery and bt barf.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Normal Hellmire extraction

Spookydonut posted:

the tanks are the chargers, the hulks are the brood commanders or maybe stalkers
Please don't make bugs look even more pathetic by comparing hulks with hive commanders or stalkers.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

the titan will be the titan

nursery spewers are the yellow ones and you know they are around because there is a yellow fog they generate

Tanks are called elites by your helldiver when you ping them, same as titans. When you ping a hulk or charger they call them heavies.

Devastators/walkers are the spewer/hiveguard/brood commander equivalents. And even then its kinda apples to oranges anyways.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

that's interesting, I have way more trouble with tanks than chargers now because chargers are really easy to kite. you just run at the charger and then juke them right before they'd hit you. this gives you a bunch of time to call down EATs, have lunch, whatever. tanks on the other hand gently caress you up from far away, and you have to always circle around them to kill them, but they also keep turning their turret at the same time

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Tanks and turrets are basically area denial for anything in front of them. They can get rough if you are cornered but as long as you can move and have cover you can outmaneuver a tank pretty easily. I think I actually have more trouble with turrets because they are elevated so cover doesn't work as well (and they have crazy range).

Man once the spear is fixed bot missions are going to get super fun.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The machine gun tanks you can just toss two impact grenades on their turret and they're done, maybe the regular tanks too? Towers you can do the same but you have to hit their vents. I have way more trouble with hulks than either. Like hulks are pretty easy if you can get behind them, or guide kite them into showing their back to a teammate, but again they're usually more surrounded by chaff units and devastators than other heavies and then they're all one big collective problem.

In those instances the AMR and railgun continue to shine, orbital railgun too.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Had a guy with all of our samples last night (25ish green, 15ish orange, all 5 purple) wade into a river. I'm on mic "Turn around, you can't ford that, you'll drown!!!!!!"

Bye samples. I still have a ton of upgrades I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You can't a ford them?