Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a total guess, because one prey response to predators is to freeze? Which could kinda seem like hypnosis if you want to ascribe mystical capabilities to animals.
Snakes hypnotizing other animals is just as real as every other form of hypnosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Slimy Hog posted:

This conversation is dumb.

Why are snakes in both Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle book portrayed as being able to hypnotize?

Half of Robin Hood's animation is from other movies, so they kind of had to have the snake do the same thing it did in Jungle Book to be able to reuse those bits

So the question should really be why the snake does it in Jungle Book.
It does it in Robin Hood because it does it in Jungle Book

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
It does it in the jungle book film because it does it in the original Kipling stories

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I like that he's a chill bro in the stories

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Why are snakes in both Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle book portrayed as being able to hypnotize?

I’m confident the answer boils down to “the animator’s barely disguised fetish”.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

wash bucket posted:

I’m confident the answer boils down to “the animator’s barely disguised fetish”.

In the live action remake they didn't even bother hiding it and just went ahead and cast Scarlett Johansson as Kaa lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

EricBauman posted:

Half of Robin Hood's animation is from other movies, so they kind of had to have the snake do the same thing it did in Jungle Book to be able to reuse those bits

is that related to some of the animations/characters from Robin Hood showing up completely out of context as a hallucination in 9 to 5? ive always wondered about that

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I got an email from zoominfo (I thought it was related to a recent zoom meeting) From searching, seems like a legitimate bunch of assholes who market your data to shady assholes. Should I attempt to use their opt-out function?

similar notice

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Earwicker posted:

is that related to some of the animations/characters from Robin Hood showing up completely out of context as a hallucination in 9 to 5? ive always wondered about that

The Dolly Parton thing? Or something else?

I have no idea. I just know that you can find a million examples of sequences from Jungle Book and Aristocats dressed up for reuse in Robin Hood

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

EricBauman posted:

The Dolly Parton thing? Or something else?

I have no idea. I just know that you can find a million examples of sequences from Jungle Book and Aristocats dressed up for reuse in Robin Hood

And yet Robin Hood is a better movie than either of the other two

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rat Patrol posted:

It does it in the jungle book film because it does it in the original Kipling stories

It happens in the Kipling stories because it's part of Indian folklore.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Earwicker posted:

why not spend that limited time on something where you like all the parts of it?
I am. Watching TV at 2x speed. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tiggum posted:

It's because you're talking too fast

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

It's because you're talking too fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFG-UXDmX4

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum posted:

Mostly because a lot of the defenders of it sound like stupid, self-righteous assholes.

Can someone give me a stupid person's summation of chirality? It's just things that are either "right" or "left" handed, mirrored and poo poo, but then it's a chemistry thing, too? Was Alan Moore into something when the mirrored Alice starved to death? Are there foods and substances that actually exist that would work similarly, or is that science fiction? Could, for whatever reason, we make opposite "handed" food?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Leave posted:

Mostly because a lot of the defenders of it sound like stupid, self-righteous assholes.

Can someone give me a stupid person's summation of chirality? It's just things that are either "right" or "left" handed, mirrored and poo poo, but then it's a chemistry thing, too? Was Alan Moore into something when the mirrored Alice starved to death? Are there foods and substances that actually exist that would work similarly, or is that science fiction? Could, for whatever reason, we make opposite "handed" food?

To put it very simply, in large molecules you can have identical atoms bound to the same central atom, but in a different arrangement, which can dramatically alter the behavior of these molecules. It is especially relevant in biological systems, due to how specific and complex they can be. An example of this is all Amino acids have two possible arrangements of their atoms, known as the "D-form" (D for dextro, or right-handed) and "L-form" (L for Levoro, or left-handed). All proteins are formed with the "L-form" of each amino acid, while the "D-forms" are very uncommon in nature. This is in contrast to any synthetic chemistry, where you would expect to form roughly 50% of each type without some mechanism encouraging the formation of one form over the other. The different "handed" versions of each molecule would not function properly if you tried to assemble them into food. You could individually substitute types of molecules (like one specific type of sugar, or one specific AA) with its mirror, and you would get a range of results from no functional difference (body can break down/use both forms) to killing you (mirrored image of something good is a poison). This relationship is known as "enantiomers", and this video/looking on wikipedia will probably help more than my explanation.

https://youtu.be/V-2OTlRH65g?si=fRItc79DgxbDQnID

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Leave posted:

Its like in Tetris when you need an L to clear a line and get a J instead and it blocks everything up. A lot of chemistry (especially biological stuff) relies on things fitting together just right, and depending on the shape of the hole a mirrored molecule might just not fit. Bulk calories might be a strech since those systems have evolved to take on a lot of options, but a problem with chirality in a critical micro-nutrients/vitamins seems more plausible. Say that the Vitamin C in the mirror world is backwards and doesn't fit anymore and she'll die of scurvy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sometimes this is very important, like in Thalidomide, where the right handed version is a useful drug for a variety of diseases, but the left handed one causes horrible birth defects.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Sometimes this is very important, like in Thalidomide, where the right handed version is a useful drug for a variety of diseases, but the left handed one causes horrible birth defects.

which is how the medicine field discovered chirality in the first place
by all then-known measures the artificial molecule was the exact same as the natural one that didn't gently caress poo poo up and they were at first very confused about how it could be causing side effects

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Slimy Hog posted:

Isn't it because they're the same character? Same with Baloo / Little John?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What do you call a grinding machine like this? Just a "grinder?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX_5I7Vu0cg

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This is all really fascinating, thanks. I knew chirality was a thing because of some dialog in Breaking Bad (which touched on the Thalidomide thing) but the way you explained it is really concise.

In my line of work it's obviously not life-or-death but one time our supplier sent us two left-handed studio monitors (speakers; sometimes they're designed to be chiral and oriented a specific way) and I got to explain the concept of chirality to my coworkers. What kind of dunce ships two left-handed monitors???

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

It happens in the Kipling stories because it's part of Indian folklore.

Kinda off topic but the actual ending to the tortoise and the hair is hysterical.

The hair has a nap and loses the race, the tortoise is the winner so now he is “the fastest animal”. In his new role it’s his job to run thru the Forrest and warn the animals when there is a fire.

There’s a fire, he’s slow as gently caress, everyone dies.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mister Speaker posted:

This is all really fascinating, thanks. I knew chirality was a thing because of some dialog in Breaking Bad (which touched on the Thalidomide thing) but the way you explained it is really concise.

In my line of work it's obviously not life-or-death but one time our supplier sent us two left-handed studio monitors (speakers; sometimes they're designed to be chiral and oriented a specific way) and I got to explain the concept of chirality to my coworkers. What kind of dunce ships two left-handed monitors???

At least it's relevant to your job; I stumbled upon it randomly online, and I'm pretty sure it's a thing that will be a long time coming before I've got to worry about it.

Thanks for the explanation, Dilden!

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

In Barkley, what exactly was a "zauber" and what was it parodying?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
In Dune, Frank Herbert repeatedly describes the spice as having "geriatric effects". Wtf does geriatric mean in this context?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

My assumption is that it was a strange way of referring to the life extending properties of it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In Dune, Frank Herbert repeatedly describes the spice as having "geriatric effects". Wtf does geriatric mean in this context?

Of or relating to the aging process is how it's being used, in that it extends the life of the user.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Can anyone point me towards the origin of "many users have stated that they do not like me or want me posting"? I gather it's a very deranged goon who keeps reregging and possibly sued the forums at one point -- just don't know the username to look up in saclopedia

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If that's supposed to mean it prevents aging, that's kinda rear end-backwards -- geros means "old age" and iatricos means "medical" hence the way we use that word

mystes
May 31, 2006

pyknosis posted:

Can anyone point me towards the origin of "many users have stated that they do not like me or want me posting"? I gather it's a very deranged goon who keeps reregging and possibly sued the forums at one point -- just don't know the username to look up in saclopedia
It's from errorinvaliduser's attempted lawsuit against the forums I think

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Thanks! There's no saclopedia entry so if anyone else wants to read about errorinvaliduser, turns out this is the goldmine thread and this is the actual docket lmao

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Where do all those "Hillary Clinton as a space commander" avatars come from?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Extra row of tits posted:

Kinda off topic but the actual ending to the tortoise and the hair is hysterical.

The hair has a nap and loses the race, the tortoise is the winner so now he is “the fastest animal”. In his new role it’s his job to run thru the Forrest and warn the animals when there is a fire.

*hare

That's very interesting, though!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Extra row of tits posted:

It's funny, but not the original ending. This was added like a hundred years ago as a satirical take on it. The original "slow and steady wins the race" version everyone knows goes all the way back to Aesop of ancient Greece.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Is this meant to be a joke...?

It sounds too fast to understand, but not so fast that it seems impossible, but the video cuts out before there's any recap, and it has a really long build up to it... this feels like a really plausible video but it's edited like a shitpost :mad:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nah, it's real. I have a blind mate and his screen reads at him like that. It's wild watching him navigate through menus with the keyboard and just hearing that voice scream almost unintelligibly yet he's getting poo poo done.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I don't think most sighted people ever learn to read by ear that fast because it's so easy to read fast with your eyes but that's a pretty normal speed for people who use those programs or devices. I've seen videos where people show you the difference between the speed they listen to for quick easy stuff and the speed they use for better comprehension but they're both pretty far beyond anything I can understand.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I've done various 508 and other accessibility standard QA on content I've made and the closest I'd come to the speed at which a screen reader blares through content is spreading in HS/college debate. It's intense as a sighted person.

edit: Spreading - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPsEwWT6K0

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

credburn posted:

Is this meant to be a joke...?

It sounds too fast to understand, but not so fast that it seems impossible, but the video cuts out before there's any recap, and it has a really long build up to it... this feels like a really plausible video but it's edited like a shitpost :mad:

I used to work with some blind folk. This is legit how they listen to stuff. Agree that the lead up was extremely drawn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I bet you can read faster than you think you can.

By extension, I bet you can also listen faster than you think you can.