Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Theron posted:

Yeah, I don't think you could get away from testifying as a witness if you were a civilian for mental health reasons, but I am not a lawyer, so please correct me if I have it wrong.
Brittany Higgins. Notable example. The cop is using any old excuse with the assistance of their https://www.pansw.org.au/ NSW Police Association buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm sure he's hosed up because he killed a bloke, but it's also his fault so the music should be faced. Getting PTSD because you murdered someone is stiff poo poo.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

JBP posted:

I'm sure he's hosed up because he killed a bloke, but it's also his fault so the music should be faced. Getting PTSD because you murdered someone is stiff poo poo.

It's not the murdering cop who is being excused, but the other cop. The one whose gun the bloke allegedly got a handle on.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I don't doubt it was traumatic and he should be given all the support and counselling needed, but he's still responsible for taking part in assaulting and chasing someone and that resulted in their death. Anyone else involved in something like that, even if it were lawful, would be compelled to testify.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Coward posted:

It's not the murdering cop who is being excused, but the other cop. The one whose gun the bloke allegedly got a handle on.

Is he the sub-murderer then?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Namor?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Extinction Rebellion protestors had their sentences increased on appeal.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
That isn't meant to happen

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The public prosectors are the ones who appealed the original few weeks sentence.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Did 4 corners play Russian propaganda on Monday ?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Yeast posted:

The public prosectors are the ones who appealed the original few weeks sentence.

Oh, that blows

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

New South Wales police have rejected calls from the state’s police watchdog for updated training and protocols for officers on the use of force, especially when handcuffing children, after a scathing report handed down last year. In its Operation Mantus report, the NSW law enforcement conduct commission (Lecc) said the way police were trained should be changed and ongoing education provided to officers. Among its 19 recommendations, the commission said there was the need for “ongoing assessment as to whether it is appropriate to leave the person handcuffed after the arrest”. The police rejected the recommendation, along with another three, saying that when any police power is used the “involved officer must justify the use of that power”.

What a pack of loving cunts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Operation Mantus lol

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
sounds like they want immunity that american cops have

that should really be nipped in the butt now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not wearing a provided bodycam should be instant dismissal. In any real job when you gently caress up and circumvent the eye in the sky you get hosed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/status/1769999194012442891

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Yeast posted:

Extinction Rebellion protestors had their sentences increased on appeal.

Lol democracy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't really get the point of extinction rebellion loving with stressed out people in traffic during a terrible cost of living crisis. Like nobody is learning anything, traffic is the place reason goes to die.

E: good on them for caring I suppose

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
If we don't let them block roads in protest, they're going to start bombing poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Comstar posted:

Did 4 corners play Russian propaganda on Monday ?

Yes. What a loving disgrace

quote:

Guardian AU posted:

New South Wales police have rejected calls from the state’s police watchdog for updated training and protocols for officers on the use of force, especially when handcuffing children, after a scathing report handed down last year. In its Operation Mantus report, the NSW law enforcement conduct commission (Lecc) said the way police were trained should be changed and ongoing education provided to officers. Among its 19 recommendations, the commission said there was the need for “ongoing assessment as to whether it is appropriate to leave the person handcuffed after the arrest”. The police rejected the recommendation, along with another three, saying that when any police power is used the “involved officer must justify the use of that power”.

I swear Bucky's BS about bike paths was so much better for my mental health than reading about the cops being complete fuckwits like that or groping pre teens in strip searches or murdering innocent people. No go gently caress yourselves, those recommendations were entirely loving resonable.

Ugh.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
is extinction rebellion the one thats secretly bankrolled by oil companies?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

god drat it i was hoping to go to brisbane to watch the climbing in 2032 (assuming the world is still around then)

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Lol didn't some fuckwit in Qld want to host the Commonwealth Games scrapped in Vic

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GoldStandardConure posted:

god drat it i was hoping to go to brisbane to watch the climbing in 2032 (assuming the world is still around then)

Yes, but the climbing will involve scrambling up a burning gum tree to escape floodwaters

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Is it pedophilia?

He Was No Angel.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

JBP posted:

I don't really get the point of extinction rebellion loving with stressed out people in traffic during a terrible cost of living crisis. Like nobody is learning anything, traffic is the place reason goes to die.

Activism whose strategy centers on performatively being put in handcuffs may be OK for some white middle-class people who don’t have to worry too much if they get arrested. But XR members are blinkered by the dopamine hit they get from expressing their outrage like targeting public transport and forcing people to drive, thereby thinking that they’re taking action by targeting working class people instead of the actual root causes. They're loving stupid.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Konomex posted:

If we don't let them block roads in protest, they're going to start bombing poo poo.

good

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

gay picnic defence posted:

Yes, but the climbing will involve scrambling up a burning gum tree to escape floodwaters

gently caress yeah

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I guess protests by definition are disruptive, sad day when Victoria ends up being like Queensland when it was illegal to protest.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

Good?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Paracausal posted:

Activism whose strategy centers on performatively being put in handcuffs may be OK for some white middle-class people who don’t have to worry too much if they get arrested. But XR members are blinkered by the dopamine hit they get from expressing their outrage like targeting public transport and forcing people to drive, thereby thinking that they’re taking action by targeting working class people instead of the actual root causes. They're loving stupid.

Yeah it seems like wealthy white people poo poo to me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

\

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i hope the olympics dies

and we can get a new non-corrupt (lol) global sporting contest

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

imnotinsane posted:

Lol didn't some fuckwit in Qld want to host the Commonwealth Games scrapped in Vic

Tom Tate, mayor of the Gold Coast, and yes you have accurately described him

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-20/donald-trump-kevin-rudd-aukus-nigel-farage-interview/103608274

Broken clock.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I didn’t read the article but it seems to be saying the LNP are calling for greater protection for LGBT students? That seems out of character

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Konomex posted:

They're a loving op, OP.

like how is 'deliberately go and get arrested to clog up the courts durrr we are big brain Extinction Rebellion' not a blatant loving op.

they are funded and headed by a bunch of rich assholes that invest in airlines and other fossil fuel adjacent poo poo.

even if you believe that deliberately getting arrested isnt an op, they are still very deliberately frustrating ordinary people just trying to get to their bullshit job they hate. it is designed from top to bottom to be ineffective.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

They're a loving op, OP.

like how is 'deliberately go and get arrested to clog up the courts durrr we are big brain Extinction Rebellion' not a blatant loving op.

they are funded and headed by a bunch of rich assholes that invest in airlines and other fossil fuel adjacent poo poo.

even if you believe that deliberately getting arrested isnt an op, they are still very deliberately frustrating ordinary people just trying to get to their bullshit job they hate. it is designed from top to bottom to be ineffective.

They just seem like your stereotypical freak-out driven stunt hippies, but sure maybe a shadowy suit in a tower came up with it.

Their protests do look like a bunch of Zach Snyder extras lol maybe you're on the money

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

There's a group of them in Canberra that camp out in the centre of town every Friday and play a really lovely cover of staying alive by the beegees on repeat for hours. I used to work right next to where they set up and it was literal torture. I don't know what they thought they were accomplishing there, their audience were basically all lefty public servants who were already on board.

I really don't know what they expect to accomplish. Like blm or pride demonstrations don't aim to piss off the general public, they are demonstrating their mass support to those in power. Like be visible for sure, let people know about your cause, but don't actively piss off the general public who's support you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Laserface posted:

I'm not calling BS (it's entirely believeable and shitheads have done things liek this in the past) but I would love to see some stuff backing this for my own interest