Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

lines posted:

Just played through the section of Gongaga where you go to the place and fight some people, including one in a mech. The stuff afterwards was Hmm. Big Thoughts.

I'm still not 100% sold on the design of the Weapons even though the new huge materia lore is pretty cool. I'm hoping that something happens in the next one where they evolve or upgrade or something and get more Eva angel than kaiju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the Whales. I think it’s cool to see Weapons that actually feel like they are part of the planet. The og Weapons don’t really manage that (though I am certain the gundams will show up next game).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

Before the Gold Saucer date is a pretty ideal time. If not then the start of Chapter 13, but there's a reason to do it specifically before the date.

What is the reason? I'm going to mop up and I've just done it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just got to a part where the game strongarmed me into playing Tifa for a bit

lol, lmao, she still completely deletes enemies like in Remake

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JBP posted:

You lose Cait Sith at the end of chapter 12

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I saw people earlier in the thread complaining about the lack of party banter while you’re exploring the world, I have the perfect game for you. It’s called Final Fantasy XV and

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

You lose Cait Sith at the end of chapter 12

Ah yeah that's a good reason, but not too bad to my mind because I basically never use anyone but Barret and Aerith who are my favourite characters lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JBP posted:

Ah yeah that's a good reason, but not too bad to my mind because I basically never use anyone but Barret and Aerith who are my favourite characters lol

The main reason is that that's one less character to stick materia on for leveling, if you're planning on doing postgame stuff where you might need more characters or just want some of the more powerful or stat boosting materias maxed out (or as close as you can get)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

IcePhoenix posted:

The main reason is that that's one less character to stick materia on for leveling, if you're planning on doing postgame stuff where you might need more characters or just want some of the more powerful or stat boosting materias maxed out (or as close as you can get)

True I guess but all of the good stuff is attached to someone and you can't use more than three characters anyway. I find I'm just sticking meh materia onto the stragglers anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

You lose Cait Sith which means you can't have him there leveling materia up as you do other stuff even if you're not using him, and means you can't do any challenges specifically requiring him. Not the end of the world but more materia levelnig is better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ror posted:

I'm still not 100% sold on the design of the Weapons even though the new huge materia lore is pretty cool. I'm hoping that something happens in the next one where they evolve or upgrade or something and get more Eva angel than kaiju.

:same: As long as there are different designs along with the silly materia whale

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Rolled credits, ending stuff:

Did not expect that boss rush to be that drat long. Loved most of it though. I had some weird trouble with Jenova’s head for some reason however. Bahamut Arisen gave me problems too but my third attempt I somehow demolished him and I still don’t know what happened. The final Sephiroth battle was tough but unlike other 1v1 (yes I know it’s technically 2v1) I actually loved it. Each failure I learned and got better and let out a big “HOLY gently caress” when I beat it. Speaking of amazing feelings the two Zack battle had me grinning so much. Their synergy ability was just a treat to see. I loved absolutely everything about it, give me more Zack all the time always!

Also I love that when asked “Will Aerith live or die?” Square said “Yes”

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

finished it. i thought the first 50% of the game was somehow even better than ff7r1 and intergrade and it's one of my all time favorite gaming experiences.

the second 50% is a fat stinky diaper. i can't believe they shipped the game with gongaga in it. i have never cared about a sidequest in any game less than i care about kid G.

the combat turns into mushy nonsense around this point as well featuring attacks named like "-slash" that deal damage to the party through Aerith's "take no physical damage" limit break. i have used the start menu abandon fight option multiple times to switch my materia because it would be faster than clearing one of the 3 fights in the game where it actually matters and that can't be trivialized by triple slash or red xiii's death orb.

the party menu looks bad, doesn't have anything interesting in it, and has enough input delay and loading that i absolutely dread changing my materia or equipment for any reason. the enemy skills are boring and worse than regular ATB abilities which don't require me to navigate the materia menu in order to use.

i like chadley. the game's music is unbelievably good. cait sith rules to control in fights and i'm absolutely buying the third game. :cheers:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Holy poo poo, the Head On biological challenge can go right back to hell, where it was forged in the first place. What the gently caress.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The boss fights getting to the point where I would need to go to menu to switch materia loadout is about when the combat really started clicking imo.

Remake was already at that point by like chap 6 so I appreciated bosses getting teeth around Cosmo Canyon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the only materia switching I ever did was putting the good item ones on Cloud for the 1 on 1 fights lol

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Don't forget swapping Assess around during any Cloud-less fights.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Rebirth has inherited one minor annoyance from Remake. When you have multiple boss fights in a row and the game gives you the little "Menu" prompt in the bottom left that lets you reconfigure equipment and materia in between, the checkpoint is placed BEFORE your changes. So if you have to retry the second fight, you gotta redo all your materia changes every single time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It makes sense in case you swapped materia around and made things worse/didn't help and need to redo it again but it is annoying otherwise.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I remember being driven slightly mad by it during the final boss rush of Remake on hard mode, because I had to retry that fight SO many times before ekeing out a win.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I have half a mind to prototype a UI redesign of the Game Over menu and learn how to mod it in for the inevitable PC port. I loved the game but holy hell, that screen needs help. I’m curious how that screen was written in Japanese and translated outside of English.

I need to look up the other places to play Queen’s Blood after capping rank. I cannot deny the urge to play more of that card game.

Or I could get back on Infinite Wealth, finally!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

broken pixel posted:

I need to look up the other places to play Queen’s Blood after capping rank. I cannot deny the urge to play more of that card game.

Gold Saucer and Costa Del Sol get more challenges once you hit Chapter 12. Also, once you clear the QB story, all the opponents around the world (except the "Beat This Specific Player To Rank Up"-ones) get new, much harder decks.

broken pixel posted:

Or I could get back on Infinite Wealth, finally!

This is also a good idea, however

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
having done the bare minimum for gongaga and then gone back and done maybe 4/5 of intel there I am surprised at the number of people that seemed to actively hate navigating around gongaga. There were some mildly annoying bits that were mostly bc I just saw a map icon and beelined straight for it instead of looking at the map and figuring out the best way to get there. Once I started actually thinking about the region as a large level it was less infuriating than corel/dustbowl stuff where I felt like I was constantly trying to figure out how to get to a high ground only to realise I had gone entirely the wrong way

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Wow what the hell is with Gongaga Intel Level 2 and why does White Terror's big aoe now hit for a bajillion damage.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I think gongaga broke me in terms of side quests. I'm at cosmo canyon now and I think I'm only going to do the message board side quests and only grab a lifespring/tower/summon/whatever if it's on my way. I don't have the free time to 100% games anymore, and I might even drop it to easy if going linear starts biting me in the rear end. Very happy with the story so far but getting fatigued from all the repetitive open world stuff.

Also, hearty lol at the music choice at the end of the chicken quest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chapter 12 side quests so the Aerith vs two bombs fight in the Dustbowl. I beat it but it's still bugging me. How am I intended to approach this? Yuffie and Barret's fights were so pathetic they could be done with no materia at all, Tifa's was trivial, and Cloud's was a bit rougher but not actually hard. What exactly is Aerith supposed to do on her own against two tanky enemies that cover each other's openings? I ended up ripping out everybody else's materia to give her a stunt build to win with, but that seems out of line with the difficulty of the other fights. Or is there some secret method of fighting bombs that I'm just not seeing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elemental materia + Fire on her armour lets you just ignore most of their attacks

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Thundarr posted:

Chapter 12 side quests so the Aerith vs two bombs fight in the Dustbowl. I beat it but it's still bugging me. How am I intended to approach this? Yuffie and Barret's fights were so pathetic they could be done with no materia at all, Tifa's was trivial, and Cloud's was a bit rougher but not actually hard. What exactly is Aerith supposed to do on her own against two tanky enemies that cover each other's openings? I ended up ripping out everybody else's materia to give her a stunt build to win with, but that seems out of line with the difficulty of the other fights. Or is there some secret method of fighting bombs that I'm just not seeing?

Level 2 Elemental Materia + Fire Materia in some linked armour slots will make you immune to 90% of their damage. Then you've got all the time in the world to kill them at your leisure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I also had to use Elemental+Fire materia because Aerith really needs support to do much at all

One thing I wish this game had is saving equipment+materia loadouts, for easy switching between characters.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah that's what I did. It just seems lovely that it was the only fight in that set that has a "use this materia combo or die, loser" mechanic. Also somehow despite having had the elemental materia set since I got it and 100+ hours into the game, it still isn't rank 2 so there was a lot of chip damage.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

RatHat posted:

One thing I wish this game had is saving equipment+materia loadouts, for easy switching between characters.

Oh god yes please

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Credits rolling. Ending was kind of a mess but all the individual parts were well done I guess. That final boss was designed in a very irritating way though(it didn’t help that I didn’t realize you’d use EVERY party member so some weren’t optimally equipped).

Now to finish up sidequests and stuff before maybe doing Hard mode, will probably need to grind a bit

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Yeah that's what I did. It just seems lovely that it was the only fight in that set that has a "use this materia combo or die, loser" mechanic. Also somehow despite having had the elemental materia set since I got it and 100+ hours into the game, it still isn't rank 2 so there was a lot of chip damage.

I got it on dynamic by plunking the projectile blocker ward down between me and the bombs with no other particular loadout or strat. It eats pretty much all of their attacks if it's between you and them

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I used transcendence for that fight and just played keep away while parrying their slow projectiles to charge ATB. A cast of transcendence II one-shots a bomb

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Chomposaur posted:

I got it on dynamic by plunking the projectile blocker ward down between me and the bombs with no other particular loadout or strat. It eats pretty much all of their attacks if it's between you and them

Same here. I swapped some combination of starting ATB bonus materias/accessories to use the projectile blocker as soon as the fight started and that made it super simple. I was planning on using the elemental materia strat, but I was like 100 AP off of level 2 and I wanted to get through the entire game without ever intentionally grinding.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chomposaur posted:

I always forget about that ability

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I see there’s a Gears and Gambits hard mode. Is this like Fort Condor where I will just get party exp and nothing more for completing these? Because Gears and Gambits sucked rear end and I’d rather not play hard mode!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Augus posted:

I used transcendence for that fight and just played keep away while parrying their slow projectiles to charge ATB. A cast of transcendence II one-shots a bomb

Oh the ability I was 5 SP short of picking up before the fight. :negative: Sounds like a banger if it can do several thousand damage straight up, I'll rework my manuscript to get it.

Every time I tried Lustrous Shield one of them immediately ran over to bite, causing them to get positioned with the shield between them so it no longer did me any good and I just got burned down while trying to realign the room. Which is when I said gently caress it and used materia for fire resist and +ATB on block.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I locked out of some of the Corel open world until I progress the story a bit? Feels like I hit an invisible wall but don’t wanna lock myself out like I keep doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yes