Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think playing 0 and Kiwami 1 in either order is fine, the games are designed to be complementary to each other and there's some stuff that is easier to pick up on if you do it that way, it's just that a lot of people bounce off Kiwami 1. If you're already enjoying yourself it's nbd.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Eh, keep going if you're into it already. 0 originally came out after 5, I think.

Ye and you can tell because there is a lot of stuff in 0 that comes with heavy dramatic irony in that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The only problem with playing 0 first is that it’s all downhill from there.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I wasnt planning on stopping my playthrough, but should I skip back to 0 after Kiwami 1 then?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
IMO if you're already commited to playing the whole series then play it after 5 so you can appreciate all the callbacks.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The Lone Badger posted:

This is unfortunately true, I've been trying to finish kiwami 1 and 2 for ages after starting with 0, and while not bad they just are not up to the standard 0 set.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Both work imo, Zero expands a lot on Kiryu and Nishkiyama so it elevates what would normally be a kind of thing dynamic even with Kiwami’s extra stuff showing and not just telling you how Nishki broke because he wasn’t the guy Kiryu was.

But on the other hand, Zero is pretty great by itself, but it has a lot of nods to the other five Yakuza games, and if you play the other games first than it’s extremely cathartic to punch people and have them bleed enough money to fill up your inventory with megalixirs. I’d personally recommend Zero but it isn’t like a gigantic deal the way that, say, telling someone to play Infinite Wealth as their first Like A Yakuza game would be.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Both work imo, Zero expands a lot on Kiryu and Nishkiyama so it elevates what would normally be a kind of thing dynamic even with Kiwami’s extra stuff showing and not just telling you how Nishki broke because he wasn’t the guy Kiryu was.
I always found this part amusing because honestly, Kiyru never had the brains ever to be a patriarch. A bruiser/muscle Captain at best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Croccers posted:

I always found this part amusing because honestly, Kiyru never had the brains ever to be a patriarch. A bruiser/muscle Captain at best.

A pretty strong theme is that while Kiryu isn't lacking brains, in his own way, and can be an excellent leader in some circumstances, he's absolutely not cut out to actually be Yakuza because he just doesn't get organised crime means being predatory and ruthless. Ichiban's arc is just a more obvious version of that.

Part of Nishiki's tragedy is that he was trying to emulate Kiryu and neglected his own real strengths and assets, at least until he snapped.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh yeah Kiryu is absolutely pure charisma but in the Yakuza world you have to have some kind of cunning to be high-level, or just THAT much of a bruiser.

It's been a while since I've played K1 but ain't a chunk of those added cutscenes hammering in that Nishiki isn't Kiryu. It's not that he's not playing his own strengths, it's that he just isn't Kiryu and doesn't have that pure charisma so he'll will never be respected because of that because where's Kiryu? We wanted Kiryu, you're not Kiryu. Where is he?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

There's some really good lines.

The helldivers have some good lines too like "sweet liberty, my arm!" or deranged laughing when you shoot a weapon for several seconds straight. Their tone gets more stressed and panicky if you're in a fight or people are dying.

My favorite voice line from the shipmaster so far was "That mission was one for the record books - where all missions are logged for analysis." :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kiryu maxes Strength and Charisma. Kasuga only maxes Charisma.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think ichiban has a strong showing in Wisdom as well. he just chooses to do dumb stuff with a full acceptance of potential outcomes ("I choose to trust you, obvious traitor!")

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ichiban is very intelligent and also very impulsive, which consistently leads to the most hilarious decisions. Towards the end of 7 he starts leaning into it, making him very hard to read.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Its not even that they are downhill, but 0 sets such an impossibly high bar. It really is a game designed all the high points from previous ones that its hard to go back.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Thanks for the tips y'all!

I gotta say Kiwami sets the tone perfectly. The game kicks off by showing you Kiryu standing over a body while holding a gun (literal first couple of minutes) and then when it flashes back/finally gives you control, the first NPC I tried talking to you is the Clown who gives you upgrades for completion points. Love tonal whiplash like that and I know Yakuza's gonna be full of it :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah I may have been a bit jumpy about it but playing 0 after 5 is also a solid plan, playing it right after 2 just makes no sense.

There’s also some callbacks to 0 in Kiwami 2 which maybe won’t hit quite the same way, but the only thing I’d say to specifically avoid if you don’t play 0 first is the bonus Majima chapter, which is 100% a spoilery tie-in to his half of Y0.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Oddly enough, I just started Infinite Wealth. Seeing Kiryu's appreciation for Kasuga's methods when helping people is really nice. Both have a compulsion to go to absurd lengths to help people, but very different approaches, and Kiryu seems to notice that right away.

It's one of the subtle little heartwarming things the LaD games do so well.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I finished Chapter 4 last night, got to the full open world, promptly quit, and tonight I finally have been wandering around exploring. My dad's a big open world game fan (BOTW/TOTK are his jam) so when I met him for supper I mentioned how the combat isn't too hard and there's supposed to be a lot of side quests, he might like it when he's got nothing to do!

The first side quest I ran into was the one where the lady being harassed by a drunk tries to seduce you into drinking with her. Just now, I walked by the south Sega Arcade, which starts the MesuKing Card Game* storyline, when I just wanted to play the Claw Machine

*it's rock paper scissors but with sexy ladies in insect costumes doing body slams on each other

Will he like the games? Probably! He loves open world exploration, crime dramas, and martial arts movies. Do I want him thinking "gosh bawk sure did recommend this game huh?" when getting to the Rock Paper Titties portion? no!!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Kiwami 1 is perfectly fine and feels even better than 0 combat wise because your heart level doesn't affect your attack speed but everyone has their own opinion on it.

Anyway, I'm playing Like a Dragon: Ishin! And I appreciate that quite often NPCs will run up to you asking for your help when someone's getting harassed because you're A) Clearly armed with two katanas B) Like 6' 6" or something and built like the Statue of David.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Mar 19, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
6'1 actually

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just started Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Similar to the first game, I really like how it handles humor. A lot of JRPGs go way over the top when something funny is supposed to happen. They'll show a bunch of characters having extreme reactions or at least play a funny "womp womp" sound effect. But FF7 just lets the joke play and moves on.

For example: I love Red XIII's nod when Barrett tells Tifa, Aerith, and Cloud to stop going on dates while fleeing Shrinra, like he was part of the conversation. No one acknowledges it, and the game doesn't dwell on it. We just get a pretty funny joke and move on to the next thing. Video here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For all the problems the game has the zombies in Dead Island 2 are pretty great. They have varied body types and outfits based on location and they get really goopy and gross based on attacks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Professor Wayne posted:

For example: I love Red XIII's nod when Barrett tells Tifa, Aerith, and Cloud to stop going on dates while fleeing Shrinra, like he was part of the conversation. No one acknowledges it, and the game doesn't dwell on it. We just get a pretty funny joke and move on to the next thing. Video here.

Thank you for sharing that, it was pretty funny. :allears:

And yeah, the best humor doesn't dwell on the joke. Gotta have confidence in your writing!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also one of the funniest lines in the last game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u31uURkbpdY

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

bawk posted:

Will he like the games? Probably! He loves open world exploration, crime dramas, and martial arts movies. Do I want him thinking "gosh bawk sure did recommend this game huh?" when getting to the Rock Paper Titties portion? no!!!!

dads tend to enjoy boobs ime

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
he will be disgusted but secretly want to get booty blasted by the bug ladies

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

I just started Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Similar to the first game, I really like how it handles humor. A lot of JRPGs go way over the top when something funny is supposed to happen. They'll show a bunch of characters having extreme reactions or at least play a funny "womp womp" sound effect. But FF7 just lets the joke play and moves on.

I'm 40 hours in and think Rebirth might be the funniest game I've ever played.

Those translators deserve a raise.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

he will be disgusted but secretly want to get booty blasted by the bug ladies

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Really love that they cranked up the silliness

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If anything I'm pretty sure the Yakuza series is actually a near perfect dad game. Especially since Kiryu is one of those dudes who kinda just started looking and acting middle aged at 18.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything I'm pretty sure the Yakuza series is actually a near perfect dad game. Especially since Kiryu is one of those dudes who kinda just started looking and acting middle aged at 18.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm terrible at playing through games any more but I've seen Chip and Ironicus' take on the demo, and the delivery on "Cloud!? You rear end in a top hat!" is perfect

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Lol is this real? Might actually look into playing these now.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

100% real, the yakuza games are great*

3 and 4 are pretty rough, I hear 5 is better but our playthrough stalled out on 4 of the original series. But we were also playing them back to back to back which probably didn't help. LAD 8 has been great so far though

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Muscle Tracer posted:

They are totally legit screenshots from Kiwami.

This is the most accurate video of Yakuza 0 that I've even seen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQS4RMDbHvo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Weird Pumpkin posted:

100% real, the yakuza games are great*

3 and 4 are pretty rough, I hear 5 is better but our playthrough stalled out on 4 of the original series. But we were also playing them back to back to back which probably didn't help. LAD 8 has been great so far though

I'm the weird mutant that actually likes 3 more than Kiwami 2. 4 was, indeed, very rough though.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'm the weird mutant that actually likes 3 more than Kiwami 2. 4 was, indeed, very rough though.

I liked 3 a lot thematically, but the gameplay was kind of rough imo. But tbh I just tossed it down to easy and enjoyed the parts I liked.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I liked the gameplay a lot, I know people complain about the blocking a lot but I just never really had much of an issue with it in 3. But I did in both Kiwami 2 and 4, so I think I just play these games wrong somehow.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The key aspect of Yakuza is that Kiryu approaches serious crime plots and family tragedies with the exact same determination and seriousness as helping a granny cross the street or winning a toy car race, and not so much out of any moral position as he simply genuinely doesn't understand the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The evergreen Yakuza fanart