Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's in the Stackpole and Thurston books before Twilight kicks off. You seem to have skipped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah, yeah looks like there's a lot of books. Need to find a proper reading list

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The first dozen or so books have it towards the back. Double Blind is my most recent one with it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah perfect. I normally hit the notable battlemechs page and stop there. That's super useful, thanks

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ilmucche posted:

Ok, so post clan jade falcon books, the ones with aidan pryde, what books have the story of Marthe taking over the Falcons?

I'm reading freebirth/twilight of the clans stuff right now and the early bits talk about Ulric dying and Natasha Kerensky getting killed but when did that happen?

I think it's Bred for War and I Am Jade Falcon.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If it's a faked spreadsheet, whoever made it has been thinking smart - a lot of those 'Mech selections already have MechWarrior 4 3D models to leverage from, which IIRC was how a lot of the 'Mechs from previous Kickstarters got through the new art process relatively smoothly.

edit: i can't believe my main man Stalker The Hubris Machine STK-8S is getting a mini. Between that and the Highlander -694 (and the Fafnir in that spreadsheet) there is a ton of OG Heavy Gauss Rifle miniature to collect (that may not see a lot of tables in end).

Yeah I'm thinking it's legit, people at KerenskyCon have been saying some other stuff that's turned out to be true.

Still sad there's no Nova Cat pack, Wendigo, Nova Cat B, Cave Lion, etc.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 18, 2024

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Supposedly future force pack lists have leaked for the next few years. No one can confirm authenticity, a bit early for April Fool's though.

If this is legit, they've got to be kidding me where the gently caress is the FWL? Seriously we can't get any plastech Anzus, Julianos, anything?

EDIT: I'd have much rather seen them actually get all five great houses in this bunch than double up on the Wolves, especially since we're already getting 3SL/new SLDF stuff later this year

Holybat fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 18, 2024

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

LeschNyhan posted:

It probably says a lot about me that my eyes lit up at the bug mech company pack.

Same

The protomech pack is an interesting and somewhat weird surprise. I love the idea of protomechs and actually just saw them on the tabletop for the first time over the weekend. I want em. Anyway, the way it’s listed is kind of weird. Does it mean it’ll be one of each of five different protomechs? Protomechs should be fielded in points of five units so it’d be pretty pointless to have one of each type, unless they for some reason think people will be buying five of the same box.

Or will it be five of all five different types? That would make more sense gameplaywise, but then it’ll be 25 protomechs PLUS three mechs and that sounds like a huge box, on par with or bigger than something like the Clan Invasion box. Wonder what it’ll be.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

a cyborg mug posted:

Same

The protomech pack is an interesting and somewhat weird surprise. I love the idea of protomechs and actually just saw them on the tabletop for the first time over the weekend. I want em. Anyway, the way it’s listed is kind of weird. Does it mean it’ll be one of each of five different protomechs? Protomechs should be fielded in points of five units so it’d be pretty pointless to have one of each type, unless they for some reason think people will be buying five of the same box.

Or will it be five of all five different types? That would make more sense gameplaywise, but then it’ll be 25 protomechs PLUS three mechs and that sounds like a huge box, on par with or bigger than something like the Clan Invasion box. Wonder what it’ll be.

I thought that even the Clans used mixed protomech points in terms of the chassis in them? I'd imagine the Society definitely would since they have a lot smaller force availability.

So this pack would be pretty solid a Trey of mechs, and two Uns of protomechs from what their organization scheme says on Sarna

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Holybat posted:

If this is legit, they've got to be kidding me where the gently caress is the FWL? Seriously we can't get any plastech Anzus, Julianos, anything?

EDIT: I'd have much rather seen them actually get all five great houses in this bunch than double up on the Wolves, especially since we're already getting 3SL/new SLDF stuff later this year

To be fair most of that 3SL stuff is actually Republic tech.

My guess is for FWL that they don't have those minis 3D rendered yet? Most of the Marik characters in Legends I/II were riding classic designs. But I can't imagine they're going to shaft FWL. That one Illician Lancers pack is all FWL designs already (Shockwave, Stalker, etc.).

Juliano is too good not to become plastic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm the most boring nerd among nerds because the model I'm most excited for is Panther[jumping]

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holybat posted:

I thought that even the Clans used mixed protomech points in terms of the chassis in them? I'd imagine the Society definitely would since they have a lot smaller force availability.

So this pack would be pretty solid a Trey of mechs, and two Uns of protomechs from what their organization scheme says on Sarna

That would explain it then, I’m not super familiar with protomech lore :) Although I’d likely want more than one of each protomech.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm the most boring nerd among nerds because the model I'm most excited for is Panther[jumping]

Same just release a god drat Panther horde lance I’ll buy it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Holybat posted:

They used mixed Protomech Stars. Points are still five Protomechs each, and they move as separate units.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Holybat posted:

I'm gonna wager a guess and say it's because the FWL hasn't sold well as a faction, historically. And to be fair, someone somewhere in the FWL respectively makes almost all of the RecGuide Classics + many 3039 chassis, which leads to not being regarded as a faction missing many flavored units.

3055 units are slowly trickling in, and that's where the FWL really shines. Albatross for the new Shrapnel designs and also Tempest and Hercules, pls pls Randall :pray:

Anyways, priorities are difficult. Fleshing (plasticking?) out the main players for the 3 ilClan books seemed like it was top priority, but then again why not all the players in Empire Alone specifically?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

I'm gonna wager a guess and say it's because the FWL hasn't sold well as a faction, historically. And to be fair, someone somewhere in the FWL respectively makes almost all of the RecGuide Classics + many 3039 chassis, which leads to not being regarded as a faction missing many flavored units.

3055 units are slowly trickling in, and that's where the FWL really shines. Albatross for the new Shrapnel designs and also Tempest and Hercules, pls pls Randall :pray:

Anyways, priorities are difficult. Fleshing (plasticking?) out the main players for the 3 ilClan books seemed like it was top priority, but then again why not all the players in Empire Alone specifically?

It's very frustrating that the most popular factions with the most novels and support material are also the least interesting ones. The decision to have the Clans invade from the North, largely cutting the FWL and CC out of the big story, is a big bummer to me.

But loads of the players I have met locally fuckin love them some FedCom, so I guess the demand is there. I don't understand it and it makes me feel like a crazy person but it is what is.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

FishFood posted:

It's very frustrating that the most popular factions with the most novels and support material are also the least interesting ones. The decision to have the Clans invade from the North, largely cutting the FWL and CC out of the big story, is a big bummer to me.

But loads of the players I have met locally fuckin love them some FedCom, so I guess the demand is there. I don't understand it and it makes me feel like a crazy person but it is what is.

I think the original plan was to have the Clans come in from the South and finish off the Capellans, but someone at FASA wanted to keep the Cappies around, so they created the FRR instead to get eaten alive. Honestly, had the Clans invaded from the South I feel the FWL and CC would've just continued to get crapped on.

It stinks for the Lyrans but the Clan Invasion is actually a good thing for the Combine from a meta-POV. Now when they get war crimey and crazy, the authors have powers nearby to beat the sh*t out of them for some cathartic release.

Here's hoping the Ravens and Ghost Bears do just that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FishFood posted:

They read some books when they were ten and aren't capable of looking at them through any other lens.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I just really, really don't want CGL to move back into the vicious circle of "hmm nobody likes FWL or buys their stuff. we will therefore continue to ignore the faction in products at every opportunity" of the FASA/Fan pro eras

I guess I'm still a bit sore at other line developers dragging the excuse of poor sales out years ago when they were doing things like releasing the House Marik handbook after the constant meta plot poo poo broke the FWL apart in the Jihad.

EDIT:

yeah Defiance Industries got it right. When like 80-90% of your books were about the Fedsuns or later Fedcom being the cool dudes it's no wonder that most players end up being Davion (with Steiner as an afterthought)

Holybat fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 18, 2024

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Holybat posted:

Yeah I just really, really don't want CGL to move back into the vicious circle of "hmm nobody likes FWL or buys their stuff. we will therefore continue to ignore the faction in products at every opportunity" of the FASA/Fan pro eras

I guess I'm still a bit sore at other line developers dragging the excuse of poor sales out years ago when they were doing things like releasing the House Marik handbook after the constant meta plot poo poo broke the FWL apart in the Jihad.

After Empire Alone came out and gave FWL a ton of content, I am sure they will get force packs. FWL has already gotten two novels the last two years, and is slated for another this year (Sequel to Hunting Season). Fed Suns and House Kurita have gotten... 1 novel total (Damocles Sanction).

FWL will get their packs. As those spoiler lists were coming out, people were adding pages to them, so I bet they did not get the House Marik lists.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Yup good points, I guess I'm just a shell shocked FWL fan who just is still adjusting to having page time outside of "Marik was hanging out" and even whole novels lol

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What was the second novel? Hunting Season, sure, but it's a big stretch to call Redemption Rites a FWL novel even though it takes place geospatially adjacent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I think part of the suffering is that when the FWL does get a unique design, it's either ugly as gently caress (like the Yeoman), someone else from another faction uses it in a novel so it gets associated with the wrong house (the Wraith), or is a knockoff of a design that already exists and doesn't improve on it in any way (the Havoc).

I think I'd like the Yeoman more if it swapped out the 2x LRM-15/LRM-10 combos for 10x LRM-5s, and they gave it anti-air tracking.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everybody loves the Juliano though!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
4 ilClan books I meant, with the 5th on the way.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think part of the suffering is that when the FWL does get a unique design, it's either ugly as gently caress (like the Yeoman), someone else from another faction uses it in a novel so it gets associated with the wrong house (the Wraith), or is a knockoff of a design that already exists and doesn't improve on it in any way (the Havoc).
TRO3060 also had the astoundingly boring Eagle, a not-so-great use of the name of the FWL's totem animal (lmao)

edit: the Sirocco's pretty good though

quote:

I think I'd like the Yeoman more if it swapped out the 2x LRM-15/LRM-10 combos for 10x LRM-5s, and they gave it anti-air tracking.
Don't stop at 10x LRM 5s, go right to 10x MML 5s

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 18, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

They drat well better, it was drawn by a Goon.

TRO3060 also had the astoundingly boring Eagle, a not-so-great use of the name of the FWL's totem animal (lmao)

It's also the first ASF developed by the FWL, and a WarShip class they were developing at the same time, and the name of their loving Spacebuck. I can't imagine how annoying it must have been working at LCCC.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
"An Eagle protected by two squadrons of Eagles has launched DropShips full of Eagles to protect the Eagle Mint on Atreus"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

"An Eagle protected by two squadrons of Eagles has launched DropShips full of Eagles to protect the Eagle Mint on Atreus"

Okay but how many Eagles is this operation going to save us?

It's their "smurf," the only way you'd be able to hold a conversation is if you have some kind of low-grade telepathy or a deep love for parenthesis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

They read some books when they were ten and aren't capable of looking at them through any other lens.
I'll have you know I watched a cartoon :colbert:

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

General Battuta posted:

perfect pack for me would be the Xarbala FWL mechs, Juliano, Anzu, and Sarath. Since there isn't a fourth Xarbala FWL, it'd be cool to have a non-premium Eris thrown in to round the lance.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 19, 2024

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

EDIT: Double post

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I need a recommendation for a dumb mech design to print and paint. It doesn't have to be good, but it should be silly or goofy or notoriously unreliable.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can't recommend a 'Mech, but I did find this:

Notably, this has way more non-Speedpaints in here this time.

Which is great, because my Speedpaint-only test run of painting some Davion 'Mechs has not gone so well:

They really are like washes, with some specific physics in gathering towards the center of a panel. Too much overcorrection on trying to control where the Speedpaints run, and you risk uneven pigmentation from multiple dried layers. I had to salvage them with a drybrush some mixed in Kobold Brown to try and bring back some of the corners that got too saturated.

'Mechs are missing their metallic panels and accent colors and cockpit jeweling of course (not that the Syrtis Fusiliers in the top row need any).

edit: 2nd merc paint set image

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 19, 2024

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Yeoman is my precious boxy boy and I will hear no slander against him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Technowolf posted:

I'm afraid I have some bad news about the next thing I have in the pipeline

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Supposedly future force pack lists have leaked for the next few years. No one can confirm authenticity, a bit early for April Fool's though.
I've had time to check and apparently this is the release schedule shown at KerenskyKon. Attendees were allowed share it. At least one part of it matches up with something I was told about previously too. There are some photos of prototypes for the mechs in the boxen floating around and I am looking forward to getting my hands on some.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Technowolf posted:

As it turns out, I don't actually have a Yeoman. Think this might be the next mech to paint.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arquinsiel posted:

I've had time to check and apparently this is the release schedule shown at KerenskyKon. Attendees were allowed share it. At least one part of it matches up with something I was told about previously too. There are some photos of prototypes for the mechs in the boxen floating around and I am looking forward to getting my hands on some.

Continuing roadmap chat: Considering that it stretches all the way out to 2027, and it's been mentioned on the official forums that things change weekly on it, things are probably going to at least look slightly different as soon as 2025. The numbers folks will certainly take a look at this year's performance with the currently announced packs and the Mercs kickstarter packs hitting the LGSes and I bet that'll mix things up, if only at least in release order.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Holybat posted:

perfect pack for me would be the Xarbala FWL mechs, Juliano, Anzu, and Sarath. Since there isn't a fourth Xarbala FWL, it'd be cool to have a non-premium Eris thrown in to round the lance.

A Quasimodo, surely.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

yeah that's not a bad option either.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arquinsiel posted:

Man, CGL is going to have a ton of packs out by the time these are all done. Hard to imagine just 5 years ago people were excited about what, 15 pack options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Man, CGL is going to have a ton of packs out by the time these are all done. Hard to imagine just 5 years ago people were excited about what, 15 pack options?

If I had to guess, they realized that way more people are likely to buy boxed sets and mech packs over the equivalent of Osprey historical guides to mech wargaming. Which isn't to say that those books don't have an audience (TROs can be a lot of fun to read!), but I know way more people who have gotten into Battletech through the mech packs and have never once touched the fluff. CGL has to be making hand over fist at the moment.