Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

FunkyFjord posted:

The machine gun tanks you can just toss two impact grenades on their turret and they're done, maybe the regular tanks too? Towers you can do the same but you have to hit their vents. I have way more trouble with hulks than either. Like hulks are pretty easy if you can get behind them, or guide kite them into showing their back to a teammate, but again they're usually more surrounded by chaff units and devastators than other heavies and then they're all one big collective problem.

In those instances the AMR and railgun continue to shine, orbital railgun too.

You need an auto cannon boy, or an AMR boy. They absolutely dumpster hulks from the front if they have breathing room to aim. Stun grenades and auto cannon is a top tier bot load out imo, regardless of what else you bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FunkyFjord posted:

The machine gun tanks you can just toss two impact grenades on their turret and they're done, maybe the regular tanks too? Towers you can do the same but you have to hit their vents. I have way more trouble with hulks than either. Like hulks are pretty easy if you can get behind them, or guide kite them into showing their back to a teammate, but again they're usually more surrounded by chaff units and devastators than other heavies and then they're all one big collective problem.

In those instances the AMR and railgun continue to shine, orbital railgun too.

i have been enjoying taking the AMR on bot missions (thanks, daily order!). deleting devastators and hulks with it is just so satisfying

they need to fix the scope, tho

(autocannon can double-tap a hulk too, but i usually can't make that happen with my skills)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe it's because I usually crouch when shooting the AC at bots but 3/4 shots I fire at a hulks face just deflect off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you deal with jetpack bots, anyway? Seems like once they get in your face, you're dead whether you shoot them or not.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Darth Walrus posted:

How do you deal with jetpack bots, anyway? Seems like once they get in your face, you're dead whether you shoot them or not.

Shoot them in the head and they won't blow up.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They don't explode if you don't shoot the jetpack. A lot of weapons will pen through to hit it but you can get around that by shooting their legs or head, meleeing them, or just sprinting to make some distance after they swing at you. You can also dive to stop burning if you do get caught in the blast.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Should I buy cluster bombs first or save it for something else? I just hit level 3 :baby:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

Was running heavy for a while and switching from that to the scout armor was a game changer. Heavy can't even loving outrun hulks. I was terrified of running into flame hulks in heavy armor even with the stamina booster.

It is hilarious how fast you move with light armour. And enemies won’t give a gently caress about you unless you start shooting basically. With robots I use a shield to avoid getting killed accidentally, but with bugs it is not necessary.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mesadoram posted:

Should I buy cluster bombs first or save it for something else? I just hit level 3 :baby:

Cluster bombs are one of the most effective ways to eliminate other helldivers. Slam the buy button.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Darox posted:

Maybe it's because I usually crouch when shooting the AC at bots but 3/4 shots I fire at a hulks face just deflect off.

Nah, angle doesn't matter. Just aim for the glowing eye. You might miss a few shots, but you can fire pretty fast especially as you get more practised at it.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Man, I love this game but after three back to back crashes this morning I really wish they would chill on content and get things a little less janky.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really don't like nursing spewers as an enemy that can spawn in packs of 6 and essentially 1shots you

but on the bot side you get bean'd in the back of the head by a rocket from a direction enemies weren't in 15 seconds ago which is probably more frustrating

if rocket devastators and spewers were less common i'd be a lot more more ok with their current 1shot kill design. but if they were less common they'd need to be replaced with something to stop the game from just being easier, and idk what i'd want them replaced by. certainly not more chargers/hulks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mesadoram posted:

Who gives a poo poo just buy it and keep playing. If you don't like them, keep playing and buy something else

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tbh rocket devastators are probably more dangerous and effectively more difficult to kill than either tanks or hulks. if one is staring at me while i'm hiding behind cover there's just nothing i can do until it fires its salvo, which usually gives its buddies plenty of time to make my life hell when i am allowed to poke out and try to pop the rocket pods.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The punisher will stunlock them. The slugger can sometimes stunlock them. Sadly the scorcher does not, which is another thing that makes it feel bad to use, in my experience.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JBP posted:

Cluster bombs are one of the most effective ways to eliminate other helldivers. Slam the buy button.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Who gives a poo poo just buy it and keep playing. If you don't like them, keep playing and buy something else

Both very valid points.

It's fun shooting bugs in the face with shotguns Democracy.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

CyberLord XP posted:

Man, I love this game but after three back to back crashes this morning I really wish they would chill on content and get things a little less janky.

I had to take a couple days off from the game after playing daily for the last month. The constant crashing and freezing is killing my enjoyment. I verified file integrity after the last crash but haven’t tried since so fingers crossed for democracy.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

cluster bombs are incredibly effective at clearing a hoard. you just want to make sure that you and the rest of your squad are far enough away from it. no, further. further

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oneiros posted:

cluster bombs are incredibly effective at clearing a hoard. you just want to make sure that you and the rest of your squad are far enough away from it. no, further. further

From videos I've seen that's the vibe I got.

Also, I am sure at higher difficulties the HMG falls off in usefulness, but holy poo poo what a fun toy to give people at level one.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

tbh rocket devastators are probably more dangerous and effectively more difficult to kill than either tanks or hulks. if one is staring at me while i'm hiding behind cover there's just nothing i can do until it fires its salvo, which usually gives its buddies plenty of time to make my life hell when i am allowed to poke out and try to pop the rocket pods.

You *can* technically dive to the side to avoid most of the rockets. But is that a good idea in a lot of situations? Usually not. Especially since even at lower difficulties they like to come in pairs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dyz posted:

You *can* technically dive to the side to avoid most of the rockets. But is that a good idea in a lot of situations? Usually not. Especially since even at lower difficulties they like to come in pairs.

every time i try this the rocket devastator scores a sick airshot on me and i feel way dumber. it's my first reaction to spotting a rocket devastator in line of sight to me as i scramble for cover and i'm honestly not entirely convinced it hasn't actually increased my death rate over if i had just stood still. i don't know how or why rockets keep going right for the space directly beside me that i'm leaping through but i have definitely gotten hit in midair by rockets while diving a fuckton of times.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've been running the God of Thunder build for bugs and it's been a lot of fun.

Arc Thrower
Sickle
Guard Dog
Orbital Laser
Orbital Rail Cannon

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mesadoram posted:

Also, I am sure at higher difficulties the HMG falls off in usefulness, but holy poo poo what a fun toy to give people at level one.

My regular group runs 7-9 with a MG/jump pack dude routinely. Its def a valid choice later still.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dandywalken posted:

My regular group runs 7-9 with a MG/jump pack dude routinely. Its def a valid choice later still.

:unsmith: That makes me happy to hear.

I am a sucker for jetpacks, so I can only imagine what kind of fun stuff you can do with it in this game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it gives you a tiny hop like once every 30 seconds, i'm really disappointed by it even if i'm sure being able to easily reach higher elevation vantage points quickly is worth it. i wanted the helldivers 1 jump pack

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Rocket Devastators are certainly powerful, but an autocannon burst will tear them apart just like it will most other things in the bots' arsenal - and it'll stunlock 'em until they're dead, to boot.

If anything, Berserkers are slightly more challenging due to their high health pools, pack tactics, and greater willingness to charge within autocannon safe distance (although you can just run away from them). Doesn't stop the cannon from being the top anti-bot gun.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Had a good few games at lunch, I don't know if the daily orders are team based or not but I did the destroy 2 robot tanks one solo at level six - I took a spear, a mortar and an orbital laser and somehow, just by crawling most of the time and lobbing my mortar down 50 meters outside enemy bases I was able to avoid a whole lot of combat the entire mission. It was very surprisingly easy.

Then somehow on the next one I managed to get the trophy for blowing Hulk's arms off, even though all the hulks were definitely destroyed, so that's the most annoying trophy down.

And then, for the last elimination mission, thanks to the jetpack me and one other democratiser were able to jump onto some rocks in the middle of the arena and just...not ever get hit by the robots. Getting back to the the chopper did involve daisy-chaining a few reinforcements though

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mesadoram posted:

Depending on team comp its still a viable option, but you can end up in a scenario where you get isolated and your stratagems are all on cooldown and an armored enemy is now A Problem.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Rocket Devastators are certainly powerful, but an autocannon burst will tear them apart just like it will most other things in the bots' arsenal - and it'll stunlock 'em until they're dead, to boot.

If anything, Berserkers are slightly more challenging due to their high health pools, pack tactics, and greater willingness to charge within autocannon safe distance (although you can just run away from them). Doesn't stop the cannon from being the top anti-bot gun.

the problem with rocket devastators is absolutely not the number of shots it takes to kill them

it's that poking out to start firing the autocannon will 1 in 5 times result in a rocket to the face and the start of a death spiral, and not poking out until it fires so you can be sure that doesn't happen gives their robot buddies time to swarm you

berserkers are a pain because the game will throw like 6 of them at you at a time but they're still way better than nursing spewers. a breaker to the face can actually 1shot them as far as i can tell, if your aim is good, though going for belly shots will be much more reliable in a panic. the big thing with them is really to pick a body part and just shoot that body part, they can soak a poo poo ton of damage if you're just blindfiring at them without aiming at least a little. i'll take a berserker pack over a single rocket devastator any day

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 19, 2024

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ye, the problem with rocket devastators isn't that you can't kill them. it's that when you peek around a corner they've already prefired a salvo of missiles at you

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oneiros posted:

ye, the problem with rocket devastators isn't that you can't kill them. it's that when you peek around a corner they've already prefired a salvo of missiles at you

I run heavy armor with explosion resist (versus bots) and they don't kill me too much.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Berserker packs by themselves are harmless just like all the basic bugs, they become dangerous when they're forcing attention & movement from you which gives the other bots more chances to shoot you. You can't use a rock as cover when 4 berserkers are trying to share it with you.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ravendas posted:

I run heavy armor with explosion resist (versus bots) and they don't kill me too much.

i think i own two heavy armours total because they're otherwise so lacklustre but i've been contemplating running it on bot missions

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

every time i try this the rocket devastator scores a sick airshot on me and i feel way dumber. it's my first reaction to spotting a rocket devastator in line of sight to me as i scramble for cover and i'm honestly not entirely convinced it hasn't actually increased my death rate over if i had just stood still. i don't know how or why rockets keep going right for the space directly beside me that i'm leaping through but i have definitely gotten hit in midair by rockets while diving a fuckton of times.

I usually wait for them to start the rocket firing animation (or guess based on timing). They'll kinda widen their legs and brace a bit before they fire a salvo.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oneiros posted:

i think i own two heavy armours total because they're otherwise so lacklustre but i've been contemplating running it on bot missions

150 armor instead of 100, then another 50% explosion resist on top means in bot missions, I tend to have the lowest deaths and highest stim usage among my friends (i survive the OHKO rockets).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ninjewtsu posted:

it gives you a tiny hop like once every 30 seconds, i'm really disappointed by it even if i'm sure being able to easily reach higher elevation vantage points quickly is worth it. i wanted the helldivers 1 jump pack

It’s not so much a mobility tool as it is an escape tool that can also be used to reach vantage spots. If you use it while descending a hill you can cross the map extremely fast though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mesadoram posted:

Cluster Bombs is a fantastic strategem, especially versus bugs and their recent changes increasing the number of non-heavy enemies. It's a completely valid option even at higher difficulties. And you get 5 drops (iirc) at max eagle upgrades.

I think my record with it is ~60 kills.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Clusters rule. A good buy, and plentiful ammo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Saw a post on the subreddit about how players need to stop killing enemies and rush objective.

That is literally the most boring playstyle ever, this game doesn't have good stealth or good traversal so you are literally running across the map until you run out of stamina from one point to another.

And I don't mean it's a good idea to take every fight you see but I already feel like WAY WAY too many players rush objectives instead of taking fights for side objectives or just to kill some drat bugs/robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Helldive cash money :v: aside, random hellbombs rule for mob clears

Mesadoram posted:

Honestly, It can be surprisingly useful. There's a lot of trash mobs and they don't kill themselves. As long as your team has the anti-armour part covered it's fine.

Ulio posted:

Saw a post on the subreddit about how players need to stop killing enemies and rush objective.

That is literally the most boring playstyle ever, this game doesn't have good stealth or good traversal so you are literally running across the map until you run out of stamina from one point to another.

And I don't mean it's a good idea to take every fight you see but I already feel like WAY WAY too many players rush objectives instead of taking fights for side objectives or just to kill some drat bugs/robots.

You gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em. A single alarm that turns into 8-10 heavies, 4 elites, and endless medium mobs from a random poi that contains maybe 4 common samples is the cue to leave