Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I can't believe Civil War 2 happened

for Russia

I can't believe the south rose again

into Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Was on my phone which creates an apple link I'm not sure resolves for everyone.

The gist of this is Ukraine strongly believes that private imagery companies are selling images that eventually are re-sold to Russia. Lots of evidence there.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Alan Smithee posted:

https://x.com/DevanaUkraine/status/1769387358791623056?s=20
https://x.com/front_ukrainian/status/1769374567980511357?s=20

things getting spicy in russian controlled Transnistria(no injuries or deaths, just the chopper which apparently wasn't air worthy so people are sus about it)

That particular helicopter has allegedly been abandoned for years but was full of fuel and had a camera pointed at it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

From actual news from France:

Is Macron starting to warm up the public for sending actual troops?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Issaries posted:

Yikeseroo

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I guess LCI was bored and needed some filler news

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
France hasn't given much aid to Ukraine so far compared to other European countries, I doubt Macron will suddenly send troops to Ukraine. It looks more like an effort to make Russia suspicious or some internal pre-election propaganda, maybe he wants to show France as strong.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Macron does not have control over LCI.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Issaries posted:

Yeah France is going to declare war on Russia rather than just give 10 times more aid to Ukraine. Those crazy frogs.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Issaries posted:

In terms of Actually Planning it with intent on following through? Probably not.

In terms of being "weapons free" to the military planners releasing some choice scenarios to the media: Oh yeah!

It's theater and meant to give russia fodder for thought. By posturing now, they can head off some Russian "red line" in the future.
I'll :toxx: :20bux: to a Ukrainian charity that barring some russian escalation (eg, tac nukes) or wild breakthrough you will not see foreign troops on the ground.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

OAquinas posted:

In terms of Actually Planning it with intent on following through? Probably not.

In terms of being "weapons free" to the military planners releasing some choice scenarios to the media: Oh yeah!

It's theater and meant to give russia fodder for thought. By posturing now, they can head off some Russian "red line" in the future.
I'll :toxx: :20bux: to a Ukrainian charity that barring some russian escalation (eg, tac nukes) or wild breakthrough you will not see foreign troops on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKmLTq71cvg&t=2904s

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Issaries posted:

Did they run out of African countries to pick on?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Monica Bellucci posted:

They got kicked out.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
So if france sent troops to Ukraine that would be really bad, right?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Rad-daddio posted:

So if france sent troops to Ukraine that would be really bad, right?

for Russia, yes

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol France isn't sending troops. A news network got bored

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jeffrey is sending goons into Ukraine

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

We lost use the term goons years ago due to SA’s management failures. You are either sending residents of Orlando into combat or chronic, hypnotic masturbators to the frontlines. And I don’t know which is worse for Putin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

the goldbelly brigade

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The Caro Memorial Legion.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That particular helicopter has allegedly been abandoned for years but was full of fuel and had a camera pointed at it.

That helicopter was just two days from unretirement.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The $10 Army vs Wumao's volunteers

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Toxic Mental posted:

If Goons didn't want to get deployed, they
should have checked the Goon Fleet bylaws, before signing up.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tai posted:

lol France isn't sending troops. A news network got bored

Talk is cheap. And Macron loves the sound of his own voice.

Its an attempt to make Russia uncertain about just how far France will go, in the hope it has some impact on Russian decision making, maybe encouraging them not to go too far. All without actually have to do anything in practice.

Its unlikely to achieve anything, as:
1) France has no support for this, even the most hawkish NATO members are distancing themselves from it as no-one wants a nuclear war
2) Russia knows France won't get involved. If it was going to intervene it would have done so already, when public support for Ukraine was at its highest
3) Putin would very much LOVE to call NATO members' bluffs wherever possible and risklessly 'expose' them as being unable to stick to their red lines and promises - doing so will erode the value of Article 5 and its security guarantees, and weaken the alliance.

Its dumb and counterproductive because everyone knows its not happening so just makes you look like a non-credible posturer. Which is appropriate for Macron I guess

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Issaries posted:

part of it is france trying to take charge of the EU since germany keeps fumbling the ball worse then charlie brown when it comes to military aid. but i do think alot of europe leadership realizes that russia isnt gonna stop at ukraine and will keep going and no one wants to chamberlain or Joe kennedy sr. trumps comments and actions in the presidency also have them spooked because they will be left to hang if he wins again. i also think their is a ton of secret intel poo poo(apart from the slow attrtion war) thats floating around about russians capabilities thats either scared the EU enough to keep doubling down OR encouraged them that russia can't do poo poo to them and its easier to do it now then later. that being said. i think alot of it is macron talking big poo poo.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Idk why macron is doing the maybe troop posturing which I think is stupid.

He recently gave a measured reminder that France does have nooks and notably hasn't been invaded by a hostile power in a while, which I believe was directed at discourse from internal both sides dipshits, far right assholes and 'genocide is actually peace ' idiots.
He also leaked a call with Putin where he surprisingly calls out putins bullshit in a clear and direct way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Macron wants to play a tough guy because it's election year and his presidency has been an uninitiated disaster domestically

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Issaries posted:

They got kicked out.

Mali received Wagner criminals to pillage their resources in exchange and have had a very good time immediately losing control of half their territory once france left, lol

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

Those human rights loving, open societies have invited in Russia instead to deal with their century old ethnic slapfighting (jihadist theming optional but very in)

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Tigey posted:

Talk is cheap. And Macron loves the sound of his own voice.

Its an attempt to make Russia uncertain about just how far France will go, in the hope it has some impact on Russian decision making, maybe encouraging them not to go too far. All without actually have to do anything in practice.

Its unlikely to achieve anything, as:
1) France has no support for this, even the most hawkish NATO members are distancing themselves from it as no-one wants a nuclear war
2) Russia knows France won't get involved. If it was going to intervene it would have done so already, when public support for Ukraine was at its highest
3) Putin would very much LOVE to call NATO members' bluffs wherever possible and risklessly 'expose' them as being unable to stick to their red lines and promises - doing so will erode the value of Article 5 and its security guarantees, and weaken the alliance.

Its dumb and counterproductive because everyone knows its not happening so just makes you look like a non-credible posturer. Which is appropriate for Macron I guess

A bit perplexed by this as not only have the Germans (Scholz) and Poles (Sikorski) admitted to NATO troops already in Ukraine but high ranking officials of the Baltics, Poland, Finland and Canada have publicly agreed with Macron to consider sending troops in a non-combat role (because, again, there are already American and British troops at least there and there is no nuclear war).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Issaries posted:

Not having seen the broadcast, are they reporting on actual government/military sourced plans for prospective operations, or are they just doing the usual 24-hour-news-cycle thing where they latch onto one vague statement ("The possibility of NATO troops fighting in Ukraine at some point in the future can't be entirely ruled out") and let their resident "experts" run free with rampant speculation and nonsense to fill airtime and keep people watching?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Are you sure you really need a house with all the goings on in Bilhorod lately, comrade? Find a safer place to stay as soon as possible

zone fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 19, 2024

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

zone posted:

Are you sure you really need a house with all the goings on in Bilhorod lately, comrade? Find a safer place to stay as soon as possible

Awww diddums.

And then there's this fuckin' gem of a statement from Monke's Men:

They "shot down" incoming artillery shells?! :wtc:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Awww diddums.

One dude to cock finger and thumb and the second makes pewpew noises.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Getting your town shelled and bombed by your own and invaded by the guys you're fighting a war with is now information operations (CIPSO) according to monke and friends

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Awww diddums.

They have Russian Iron Dome

It’s a bunch of dudes with pots and pans for helmets

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

steinrokkan posted:

Macron wants to play a tough guy because it's election year and his presidency has been an uninitiated disaster domestically

plus, France's "post-colonial interests" in Africa are under threat by targeted Russian political actions.
It's probably an easy sell. France and Belgium were real shits as colonial powers.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

zone posted:

Getting your town shelled and bombed by your own and invaded by the guys you're fighting a war with is now information operations (CIPSO) according to monke and friends

Is there a good summary of what is happening here? I assume this is the Russian separatists, but the fog here is pretty thick.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

IMO the reason for Macron posturing is EU leadership thing. As in Germany's response to threats is to back down, our response to threats is to threaten back. That's about it. He got russians somewhat rattled at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Bone Crimes posted:

Is there a good summary of what is happening here? I assume this is the Russian separatists, but the fog here is pretty thick.

Yes, they're talking about the current ongoing operations by the separatist battalions in the Belgorod region. There's not a whole lot to go on, but the separatists have published a claim regarding their battle results while the Russians insist they killed them all four or five times already.