Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I use shelter, works perfectly. Install it from fdroid though, last I looked the google play version wasn't updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
I want to get a phone with dual physical sim card capability, so I can have separate work and personal numbers. So when a business client either calls, texts, emails or sends Whatsapp messages the notification sounds can be set different from the personal number notifications.

Will the Galaxy S24+ allow this? I know it has dual physical sim capability but I'm not sure about the notifications. Are both always active so you can receive from either number at any given time or do you have to switch between them?

Also, how is mobile data used between two sims? Do you choose with each app which sim to use for data? Or one sim is the default to use data.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
found an app called Canta on Fdroid that lets you remove system apps without root. I got 10+ GBs out of debloating. Uninstallable apps are ridiculous and shouldn't exist in 2024

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Arken_ca posted:

I want to get a phone with dual physical sim card capability, so I can have separate work and personal numbers. So when a business client either calls, texts, emails or sends Whatsapp messages the notification sounds can be set different from the personal number notifications.

Will the Galaxy S24+ allow this? I know it has dual physical sim capability but I'm not sure about the notifications. Are both always active so you can receive from either number at any given time or do you have to switch between them?

Also, how is mobile data used between two sims? Do you choose with each app which sim to use for data? Or one sim is the default to use data.

My experience is yes Samsung still make dual physical SIM phones but you generally only find them via grey import resellers, not big box stores or carriers. This was true up to the S21 for me at least in Australia. It's very hard to work this out and find which models actually have dual SIM but GSM arena was my friend here. I can't speak for the s22/23/24 but it's still popular in Asian markets particularly so I'd assume there are models that have this.

You choose a preferred SIM for all data. It will only switch if you move out of coverage for that SIM, it's not per app. Same for calls and SMS but you get to choose which before making/sending a call/message. Generally being on a phone call on your non preferred data SIM will cause data to switch for the duration of the call FYI.

Samsung does however let you install a copy of most messaging apps to use with each phone number (like I have a work SIM WhatsApp and a personal SIM WhatsApp) which rules. And so yes you can have different sounds for your SIMs for phone/SMS/IM.

I have since switched my personal service to eSIM so my Fold 5 has a physical SIM from my workplace and an eSIM for my personal service and the above behaviour is exactly the same. This is far easier to find and do.

Aware fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 19, 2024

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just went traveling and used eSims for the first time and it's an absolute game changer. I'll be using Airalo from now on, the whole process was incredibly easy and beats the hell out of finding physical sims in shops and trying not to lose the one I came with!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just paid $50 to T-Mobile when I went to Iceland and continued to use my phone as normal. Some pay as you go eSIM would have been marginally cheaper, but then I would have had to manage a different number.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

I just went traveling and used eSims for the first time and it's an absolute game changer. I'll be using Airalo from now on, the whole process was incredibly easy and beats the hell out of finding physical sims in shops and trying not to lose the one I came with!
Totally agreed, but luckily my phone can actually use two physical sim cards too.

Nice too that my data these days is Canada-wide.

I can't believe I'm paying essentially half of what I used to when I got my Nokia 6800 with 2 MB of WAP data lol.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Alan_Shore posted:

I was told about Airalo a month ago in this thread and have a question about it! I'm going to install it on my mom's phone this weekend for her Poland trip on Monday. I wasn't able to see: is this something that will swap automatically when she flies out or something that can be toggled before she goes or something she'll have to deal with when she lands? Not sure about the proper steps to switch over.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

I was told about Airalo a month ago in this thread and have a question about it! I'm going to install it on my mom's phone this weekend for her Poland trip on Monday. I wasn't able to see: is this something that will swap automatically when she flies out or something that can be toggled before she goes or something she'll have to deal with when she lands? Not sure about the proper steps to switch over.

You should have both Sims (i.e. your regular Sim and the eSim) enabled at the same time, but your mum will have to toggle over to use the eSim as the default for mobile data and calls once she lands. Also have to make sure Roaming is enabled for the eSim because they all seem to be routed through Eastern Europe or something.

Very occasionally you might have to restart your phone to start receiving data but that hasn't happened to me recently.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Failed Imagineer posted:

they all seem to be routed through Eastern Europe or something.

Well, she'll be in Eastern Europe, so!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Well, she'll be in Eastern Europe, so!

Well who knows maybe you actually wouldn't need to put on Roaming (I wouldn't chance it tho).

But "Poland - Central vs Eastern Europe?" is :yikes: :can:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does making a Samsung account do anything for me? Or is it just more bloat spyware

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Epitope posted:

Does making a Samsung account do anything for me? Or is it just more bloat spyware
Phone backups, SMS backups. Find my phone. Remote unlock/lock/wipe.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
For esim chat, I highly recommend this website

https://esimdb.com/

Search by country or region. I've used them to search for the cheapest provider in both Europe and Asia and worked out great.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nah just use Airalo it's cheap and reliable

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Uthor posted:

I only use voice to set timers, but one time it went:
"Set timer for 5 minutes."
"Okay, sending message to Jeremiah. What is the message?"

this is from two pages ago, but depending on your accent "setta timah" can sound somewhat similar to "jerra miah"

i have a home routine for when i say "goodnight" and once or twice it thought i said "connect"

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
UK goon here. Going to the Big Apple in a few months. I have a Pixel 8 on iD Mobile and my wife has an iPhone 15 on Vodafone.

1. Other than check roaming charges, anything we need to do or be aware of to use our phones there?
2. We'll obviously want to take lots of pictures, and I'm hoping with the ubiquity of phones and New York being a huge tourist trap, we're as likely to get robbed there as anywhere else on the planet. Thoughts?

I haven't been to the US since 2000 so no one was walking around taking pictures of anything with phones.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

everyone and their dog is going to have their phone out the entire time taking pictures and scrolling Instagram and looking at directions. nyc is not a crime ridden warzone despite what the news or whatever might say. you'll be fine.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

a crime ridden warzone

This is why it's so difficult to find photos of tourist visiting NYC

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I was literally in Times Square this weekend (not my choice, I hate crowds and it was St Patty's weekend). We kept 78 high school kids safe across many blocks without a single pocket picked or phone stolen.

You'll be fine as long as you practice standard big city stuff. The main thing is to stay the gently caress away from the costumed "performers" and don't take anything someone tries to hand you. Don't even engage or say anything, just keep walking. Also, the "performance" of the "dangerous" crowd jump takes 20+ min, they'll ask for cash at least 6 times, and it's pretty weak in the end.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. Other than check roaming charges, anything we need to do or be aware of to use our phones there?

Use Airalo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is just an idle curiosity for me, but does wifi calling work if you are outside your home country? Like, if I took my Verizon phone to Europe and did nothing with the SIM or eSIM but turned on wifi calling, would it work?

I haven't bothered doing any research, and thought maybe someone here might know off the top of their head.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

everyone and their dog is going to have their phone out the entire time taking pictures and scrolling Instagram and looking at directions. nyc is not a crime ridden warzone despite what the news or whatever might say. you'll be fine.

I'm from Belfast so "warzones" aren't a completely alien experience.

Also what's Airlo?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Airalo is an app/service that provisions your eSIM with a prepaid data plan.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Airalo is an app/service that provisions your eSIM with a prepaid data plan.

eSIM heh, too rich for my blood but thanks for the suggestion.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's way cheaper for travel for many of us with poo poo cell providers (i.e. Canadians)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What phone do you have?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Your pixel 8 works with an esim

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've had great experiences travelling with Ubigi eSIMs as well

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I haven't tried eSIMs yet but I introduced my frequently-out-of-country parents to Airalo after hearing about it here and they love it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Oh right I thought I had to have a carrier eSIM with my current provider. I won't be calling friends or family except using hotel Wi-Fi I imagine, it's just to make sure the wife and I can phone each other if we get separated.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh right I thought I had to have a carrier eSIM with my current provider. I won't be calling friends or family except using hotel Wi-Fi I imagine, it's just to make sure the wife and I can phone each other if we get separated.

Yeah for this I just use Airalo and WhatsApp calling

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Ah we are lucky in America with Google fi unlimited works anywhere in the world

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Celexi posted:

Yeah there wasn't anything special needing to be done when traveling international with Fi, even on the metered plan.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You can have a real sim and an esim and switch between them

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Skarsnik posted:

You can have a real sim and an esim and switch between them
Can also direct which gets used for outgoing calls (or choose every time), and which to direct data to.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Celexi posted:

Oh poo poo I have fi and didn't know this. Good to know!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm trying to set up a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite for my 8-year-old and manage it with Family Link from my iPhone. I had it set up a year or so ago, but it's been gathering dust a while and when I started it back up today, it was still set up, but it no longer appeared as a device in the Family Link app and there didn't seem to be a way to un-gently caress that state, so I ended up doing a factory reset and starting over. I set up an account for myself on the tablet and grabbed whatever updates were available, then followed the instructions to start setting up parental controls and Family Link. It asks me to sign in as the kid (it actually just randomly popped up a sign-in screen without clear instructions, but I inferred from the context that I should use my kid's credentials), so I did, and then it blocked further setup, saying that I can't have an account of my own on a Family Link-managed device, just the account for the kid.

It seems like the next step is to figure out how to remove my own account from the device and log in as the kid instead, then set the thing up with Family Link, but I've got to ask: is all this bullshit going to be worth it? Is Family Link any good? Is the stupid thing just going to disappear from the parental app again? I couldn't find many instances of that specific complaint online, but I did find a few in the Google support forum and Google's answer was "we'll email you privately on how to fix this," which was not promising.

The only reason I'm going through this nonsense is to give my kids (if this tablet works, I'm going to clone the setup for my other kid) devices to take Scratch lessons on. I could also just leave my own account on both devices, but I like the concept of a sandbox-type device they can have more freedom to play with safely. Is Family Link generally okay for that purpose, or am I constantly going to be running into headaches like this?

Edit: haha never mind gently caress it the class requires an actual laptop anyway

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 23, 2024

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
Upgrading from Galaxy S21ultra to a Pixel 8. In the past people have said it's not good to leave a phone plugged in all day and it can mess with the battery.

I'm a truck driver so my phone will sit in a holder on my dashboard for 10+ hours a day and it's a wireless charger. With a modern phone and battery is that still a concern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

no