Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

First mystery box from RTG came, I'm super excited to try them

I am verrry interested to see what you think of that trout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I just had a can of the extra spicy nuris. They weren’t so pepper spicy as they were clove and spice spicy. Kinda tasted like hotpot. The dines themselves were normal nuri which is to say, fabulous. V glad that the thread has a new source of uncommon canned fish. Shits about to get real in here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Tried the Fangst Regnbue Ørred smoked trout... Holy poo poo.

Had it just with buttered toast. It's like you went to a restaurant and ordered a fancy trout meal and got it canned, it's so firm and, I dunno, entree-ish. It would be excellent on a plate alone with a side dish.

A little salty with a smoke that reminds me of pipe tobacco smoke, and subtle herby notes. I don't get any juniper. Like I said, firm texture that I would have never guessed was canned. A little too salty for my taste, but I think using in a dish with heavier creamier elements would round that out.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Friends, I just had some Ortiz 'El Velero' spanish dines and by gawd were they excellent. Three big, firm, meaty fishies with nice big spines in a very delicate olive oil. Definitely rank up there with the best I've had. A little pricey at $7 but good for a treat once in a while.

Also got a tin of Yurrita brand White Tuna, also from spain. Sadly, the little store I got them at didn't have the same selection as the last time I was there (oarfish, mackerel) but the owner did tell me about another store close by that has tinned fish so I'll check it out the next time I'm nearby.

Also also got a little jar of Chestnut Tree honey imported from France and holy moly it's delicious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tried these fried (?) mussels on a basic green salad yesterday, and used the packing oil/sauce as dressing. Very good, though smoked mussels are a bit firmer in a way that I prefer.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
For lunch today I ate a huge hunk of Honey Smoked Salmon right out of the bag. No regrets.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

isaboo posted:

Friends, I just had some Ortiz 'El Velero' spanish dines and by gawd were they excellent. Three big, firm, meaty fishies with nice big spines in a very delicate olive oil. Definitely rank up there with the best I've had. A little pricey at $7 but good for a treat once in a while.

Their mackerals in a jar are also excellent (and expensive, like 8eur a jar).

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Had some decent Jose Gourmet pilchards yesterday at my desk for lunch. Those pictured are the EVOO packed regular sardines. The oil was some of the best I’ve ever had in a tin as it was incredibly fruity and mild, the sardines themselves were so mild as to be almost bland but that’s offset by the insides being so rich with fish fat and olive oil. The only drawback was the fact that they were kinda scale-y. Aren’t they fetching in their colorful packaging and glistening in the sun?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The mystery box idea from RTG has got me intrigued, and when I went to their website to check it out this part killed me.

quote:

If you would like a Surprise Me box on a regular basis, just set a reminder on your phone to shoot us a new order

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

sock it to me! posted:

For lunch today I ate a huge hunk of Honey Smoked Salmon right out of the bag. No regrets.

PBUC

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Tendales posted:

The mystery box idea from RTG has got me intrigued, and when I went to their website to check it out this part killed me.

The entire shopping process at RTG is bananas. To actually buy something, you place your order, then wait a day for them to figure out what box it fits in and exactly how much postage will cost. Then you Zelle them. I swear to Christ if I hadn’t heard how good they are, I would have thought I was getting scammed.
It’s weird but actually goes pretty smoothly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It sounds scammy, but Dan got back to me like 10 minutes after I ordered, and wrote me a personal email asking me about my tinned fish journey, and even invited to his Slack channel. We emailed back and forth a few times, nice guy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder how one pays from countries that don’t have Zelle! I hope to find out soon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
They have a bunch of payment options!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder how one pays from countries that don’t have Zelle! I hope to find out soon

Dan uh... finds a way

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The tins the Patagonia smoked mackerel comes in suck. Pull rings kept coming off and I had to resort to hacking it open with a steak knife when the can openers at work failed.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I got three varieties of Rugenfisch herring from RTG: peppered & smoked, hot tomato sauce (not really hot), and dill-herb sauce. All are very tasty and affordable for the amount you get - two decent servings per can. I know Polar herring are sold at Aldi, I'll have to check to see if these are there too. I'm sort of in a herring rut but hell they're so good. The only herring I've tried and not loved were Matjes-style, and maybe you just can't get good ones in Wisconsin.

I also snagged some $1.99 cans of Brunswick "butterflied sardine fillets" in olive oil at my local grocery store, which are also definitely herring and not bad at all. I'm on the verge of forsaking all other meat for cheap fish here.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I really like Rügenfisch's smoked mackerel, they are the top fish in their price class.
Their sauced herrings are a fairly typical example of mid tier German style sauced herrings.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zjfwXVsGPfWw4ag3EHkT6ismDZhj8dlFwwahD7SG7gQ/edit?pli=1#gid=2771302

in the cannedsardines subreddit had a guy asking about lower sodium options, and the guy from rainbow tomatoes garden linked a spreadsheet with sodium as a column you can sort by, if that's something you're interested in

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Had the garfish from upthread with some homemade bagels! I really didn’t like them as they had an odd salty chemical taste and at 3 am I had to get up to completely obliterate my commode that night.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

that sucks

the ramon pena gar i had was great

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I agree, tasted too salty, although I didn't get a chemical off-taste.

I have a feeling that the tin nutrition information on the Ati Manels may be local-ized and it actually means 850mg per serving with a serving being one tin, instead of 85 as it says on the RTG list?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Anyone had this before?
https://colesseafood.com/products/smoked-trout

I picked up a can at Whole Foods. It was a few dollars less than that listing. They also had clams on sale so I got a couple cans. Clam juice is great when you're serving it over a bed of rice as the sauce is so good.

For tonight I'm thinking of doing a kind of fried rice dish, veggies, rice, a little egg and then mix in the trout at the end.

The canned fish section at WH was pretty good. They have a lot to chose from, stuff I don't see anywhere else.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The smoked trout was delicious. I would have like more smoke flavor but otherwise a nice mild tasty solid piece with skin. I ended up just serving it over rice with veggies. My cat loved it too, more than sardines.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
The smoked Jose Gourmet were amazing. Nice and firm with the perfect amount of smoke. They also each had their own perfect little livers tucked into each one. Maybe it was just a good can but I’m gonna be coming back for more of those

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oh wow kipper snacks with Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce is unreal in how good it matches. Seriously I don't eat much other than kipper because I'm not suppose to eat bones or cartilage but the Cholula Chipotle hot sauce perfectly pairs with smoked fish. I'd eat sardines if I could get them smoked boneless and skinless. That would be okay for me to eat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollismason posted:

Oh wow kipper snacks with Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce is unreal in how good it matches. Seriously I don't eat much other than kipper because I'm not suppose to eat bones or cartilage but the Cholula Chipotle hot sauce perfectly pairs with smoked fish. I'd eat sardines if I could get them smoked boneless and skinless. That would be okay for me to eat.

Yeah kippers and cholula own so much.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah kippers and cholula own so much.

Y'all weren't kidding, I'm having kippers with chipotle Cholula now and it kicks rear end.

(Polar Kipper Snacks fwiw, haven't had any others)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im a huge fan of the king oscar kipper snacks as well

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Black coffee and a sardine egg strudel in Talinn

It's loving delicious.

(X-post from the street food thread)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I discovered r/CannedSardines because of course there's a subreddit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

(X-post from the street food thread)

That looks awesome! Got a link to the thread?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Yooper posted:

That looks awesome! Got a link to the thread?

here you go

Some inspirational and also horrifying assemblies of greasy carbs in there

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Dan the Rainbow Tomatoes Garden guy just came out w/ an extra hot tin for people like me who have been disappointed with other "spicy" sardines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDSPCXHmVwc

(I got one on the way now will report back)

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

dsf posted:

Dan the Rainbow Tomatoes Garden guy just came out w/ an extra hot tin for people like me who have been disappointed with other "spicy" sardines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDSPCXHmVwc

(I got one on the way now will report back)

Told my partner I wouldn't buy anymore 'dines until I ate my current stash, but dammit I'm hitting the buy button!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You finished last; eat the cracker.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Kenji owns (although he says he's not a big fan of sardines)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSsdhltXWU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

isaboo posted:

Kenji owns (although he says he's not a big fan of sardines)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSsdhltXWU

Oh man this is exactly how we used to eat them growing up. I need to find some smelts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

that is a beautiful picture of some fish