Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Carmant posted:

Part 3 needs to explain why Regina still thinks she's hot poo poo at the end of the Queen's Blood Story even after I beat her like 5 times.

Kaiba loses to Yugi often but still thinks he’s hot poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
She tells you right before Shadowblood Queen. Winning at Queen's Blood is what she thinks her entire personality is based around and the only way she can get people to like her. Girl has a massive complex.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did anyone else hoot and holler when One-Winged Angel starts playing when Cloud and Aerith team up to fight Sephiroth? That was the best part of the whole fight and I thought that whole setpiece was great. Yeah, it's been played a few times already but drat was that moment incredibly good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jimbot posted:

Did anyone else hoot and holler when One-Winged Angel starts playing when Cloud and Aerith team up to fight Sephiroth? That was the best part of the whole fight and I thought that whole setpiece was great. Yeah, it's been played a few times already but drat was that moment incredibly good.

it was my second hardest pop off, first being the team combo attack against jenova and third being cloud and zack both doing the pose

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Jimbot posted:

My music pop off was when the version of Those Who Fight Further from Remake kicked in when the team got back together in the temple after the party split fighting the gravity manipulating monster.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

my hardest pop off was probably when they showed tifa's swimsuit

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Blockhouse posted:

it was my second hardest pop off, first being the team combo attack against jenova and third being cloud and zack both doing the pose

add Cloud and Zack being such bros that they don't need to be in the same reality to do synergy attacks to that list

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was initially a bit bummed about Birth of a God not coming in for the Bizarro Sephiroth fight but honestly it was probably the right move. It wouldn’t fit as well for this part of the story and is better off being saved for the final battle at the northern crater

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One brief note for the ending: I was dead certain we were going to have to wait for part 3 to see Cloud and Zack fight Sephiroth together. Can't wait to see how they top that one in part 3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Aerith died but Aeris lived

The opposite

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

One brief note for the ending: I was dead certain we were going to have to wait for part 3 to see Cloud and Zack fight Sephiroth together. Can't wait to see how they top that one in part 3

Could, Zack, and Sephiroth team up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Cloud, Zack amd Roche

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The real pandering ending would be Cloud, Zack and all 3 of the Avalanche members fight him. Roche is still around, technically, in the main timeline. We get to control him in a solo match against Sephiroth to fight an inner metaphysical battle for control.

Edit: Oh yeah, that final boss gauntlet made me realize I need to put healing material on pretty much everyone. That move that reduces everyone's health zero that Sephiroth Reborn uses almost wiped everyone because I didn't have a good means of healing outside of items. It was less of an issue with regular Sephiroth when you use Aerith and Cloud because of her limit break and they both had healing already.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 19, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cloud (Soldier) and Cloud (Shinra Grunt) team up with Cloud (Middle Manager, Arby's) to defeat Sephiroth

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Cloud, Broden, and Roche

Fixed.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's honestly the half-measures that are the issue. They tried to have their cake and eat it too. They pulled the meta stuff with the whispers in Remake, feinted towards doing something radically different and whether that was a legitimate attempt or just them trying to sow doubt to preserve surprise in the rest of the trilogy, I do feel like the reactions scared them into pivoting into something that is much more conservative in terms of what it's trying to say about FF7 as a piece of art, but also muddies the waters of what the original story (not the plot) of FF7 was about. Because we're so deep into multiverse bullshit that the themes of ecology and imperialism feel like they're getting lost in the shuffle. (Also there's a lot of waffling about 'think of the poor soldiers of Shinra just following orders' which feels like it sands off a lot of the teeth the original has)

Like, either poo poo or get off the pot. Either take the big swings and make it clear that this is a piece going somewhere new with the basic elements. As people have said, that didn't just have to be 'Aerith lives'. It could've been killing Tifa, or Cloud, have Zack show up for real (hell, right up until chapter 14 I was convinced the twist was gonna be that Zack was in the same timeline as everyone else and that stuff was happening at the same time as what we were otherwise playing, which would've been SOMEthing).

Or just do a straight remake expanding on character and theme and don't be so caught up in old fans not being surprised by plot beats they know are coming. It's a bizarre mindset that I can only understand being from people who never rewatch movies or reread books. Knowing the story doesn't ruin it unless all the story had going for it is shock value.

There's also definite elements that make it clear some recalibration happened, because as noted, the stinger in Remake of Zack turning up at the church makes 0 sense in any of his scenes in this one. They definitely changed their mind with how they were planning to do that.

Yeah my only major complaint is the half-measures as well. In my heart of hearts boy did I want to heal some childhood trauma by having Aerith live, and I wanted them to land a major twist for a new generation by killing Cloud and having Zack replace him. But ultimately for an unknown journey almost all the major blot beats were the same. Definitely lots of sizzle added to it that I liked, but it was still ultimately the same steak.

Lots of backdowns or half-measures from the intrigue set up by Remake too. Aerith knows more than she should know about the future, then they back down from that immediately and remove a lot of the intrigue from the character that could've been put to good use in Rebirth. Then they introduce a multiverse and backdown from that by having those alt timelines all seem to be in varying states of active doom, or actively put way off course because everyone sees the sky is falling.

The biggest half-measure that irritates me is how Aerith seeming alive to Cloud and traveling with him could have been a fun dynamic in the final game. While it still has some potential there, I wanted her getting on that drat plane to suggest that all the insanity that went down at the end of Rebirth basically has Cloud perceiving or interacting with two timelines at once. Or even if that isn't quite the dynamic, they could make her like Arkham Knight Joker just always hanging out with him until eventually the party tries to tell him she's dead or he has to acknowledge her death. Hell, maybe when that does happen they're somehow able to yank an alternate timeline Aerith into their timeline and that really starts changing things up.

I'll eat my words on a lot of this if they fully commit and have that revisiting of the Forgotten Capital from OG FF7 lead to an alternate timeline Aerith popping into their world, they could put the doomed timeline element to good work by establishing that Alt-Aerith really screwed up her timeline by not dying and doing lifestream shenanigans when she should have.

It's still a drat fine game that I really liked, and I don't see how they can come up with an ending to the finale that I outright hate. And some kind of "Meta-knowledge Sephiroth vs. Meta-knowledge Aerith" dynamic seemed set up in Remake and was an intriguing concept to me, and drat they leaned into that side of things as hard as they could without outright explaining everything.

Overall I hold out hope that I'll get a nice 30 minute cutscene explaining pretty much everything that's been going on in the trilogy in the third part, and that what they say in that cutscene will make at least some sense and be interesting. And on the road to that I'll get to enjoy plenty of nostalgia and a solid game with good combat mechanics and plenty of side activities. It'll also be fun to see how the hell they top that final boss fight sequence, parts of which give me some further hope that they can deliver some wild fights against various Weapons.

Edit: Actually, a big brain twist they could still do is to if Cloud actually just Zack'd himself into a new timeline of his own. So when it's flickering between Aerith dead and Aerith alive, he's seeing Aerith alive in his own timeline and Aerith dead in the timeline he moves into. Him seeing Aerith and being the only one who sees something wrong with the sky could be because of his nature as someone from a different timeline. I can't imagine that's what they're doing, but I'm fully prepared to drop my jaw if we see Stamp as a poodle or something in the next game while we're cruising along with Cloud.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 19, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Y'all just need a little faith. Maybe you can find it in a converted church in Venice, Italy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NowonSA posted:

It's still a drat fine game that I really liked, and I don't see how they can come up with an ending to the finale that I outright hate. And some kind of "Meta-knowledge Sephiroth vs. Meta-knowledge Aerith" dynamic seemed set up in Remake and was an intriguing concept to me, and drat they leaned into that side of things as hard as they could without outright explaining everything.

Our Aerith had her meta-knowledge removed by the Whispers (which is probably the message we were supposed to get in Remake from that "every time the Whispers touch me, I lose a part of myself" scene but nobody took it that way back then), but clearly either there's another Aerith floating around the Lifestream that still has it, or just those memories are still floating around the Lifestream and Aerith can access them from there. The Aerith we go on the multiversal date with certainly seems to have plenty of meta-knowledge, and after her apparent death, Aerith is also behaving like she knows a lot more once again.

Basically, I don't think this subplot is over yet. Especially when Sephiroth takes the time to tell Aerith he underestimated her during the final battle, I really get the feeling that little chess game is still happening. Those white Whispers were introduced for something, I have to imagine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Our Aerith had her meta-knowledge removed by the Whispers (which is probably the message we were supposed to get in Remake from that "every time the Whispers touch me, I lose a part of myself" scene but nobody took it that way back then), but clearly either there's another Aerith floating around the Lifestream that still has it, or just those memories are still floating around the Lifestream and Aerith can access them from there. The Aerith we go on the multiversal date with certainly seems to have plenty of meta-knowledge, and after her apparent death, Aerith is also behaving like she knows a lot more once again.

Basically, I don't think this subplot is over yet. Especially when Sephiroth takes the time to tell Aerith he underestimated her during the final battle, I really get the feeling that little chess game is still happening. Those white Whispers were introduced for something, I have to imagine.

I'm pretty sure the implication is what the White Materia is what gave that knowledge. Materia are just big old collections of knowledge and the like, which is how they give the ability to use skills/cast magic, and in Aerith's case the White Materia went a step further. The Whispers drained it (which is why she pulls out the Clear Materia when discussing it, because draining the White Materia is what took that away) and then in the other timeline Aerith had it all back because she had the White Materia there.

The fact that the White Materia does not appear to have been used to summon Holy is probably going to tie into all of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the implication is what the White Materia is what gave that knowledge. Materia are just big old collections of knowledge and the like, which is how they give the ability to use skills/cast magic, and in Aerith's case the White Materia went a step further. The Whispers drained it (which is why she pulls out the Clear Materia when discussing it, because draining the White Materia is what took that away) and then in the other timeline Aerith had it all back because she had the White Materia there.

Oh definitely. The White Materia seems to be representing that knowledge, which makes sense--the Planet clearly has foreknowledge (see: the Whispers) and materia contains knowledge drawn from the Planet.

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that the White Materia does not appear to have been used to summon Holy is probably going to tie into all of it.

I do wonder about this. There's clearly a reason Cloud still has the Clear Materia, and we got a bunch of lore in Rebirth from the Gi about how you can turn an empty materia into something extremely powerful by pouring emotions, memories, and wishes into it.

We didn't get the "White Materia will glow green when Holy is summoned" talk this time, but that could be revealed in part 3 and have a flashback where everyone realizes "oh poo poo, it was still white," and then Cloud's Clear Materia will end up being the key to solving everything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think a lot of the multiple timeline stuff has to do with emotion specifically.

First, there's the Gi stuff. They made the Black Materia by taking a Clear Materia and filling it with their despair and a desire for oblivion. The power of emotion.

Then, there's Sephiroth's talk about how he plans to "harvest" negative emotions during the confluence of worlds to "feed the planet." And Cloud still having a Clear Materia, just waiting to be filled up with some kind of knowledge, emotion, or memory. Does Sephiroth want to use that Clear Materia to create a super-Black Materia? Or is he harvesting negative emotion to just power up the existing Black Materia?

Finally, there's Zack's whole experience in his alternate timeline(s). The Terrier timeline most of the Zack scenes occur in is dying and absolutely full of despair. There are multiple scenes that drive this home, culminating in Zack having a flashback of all the devastated people he's seen so far while Biggs is walking away. But Zack holds onto hope, always. He's positive, he gets up and acts rather than worrying, he always has a smile ready. And after he spends a few days at Aerith's house, a couple flowers start blooming in her garden again. He's inspiring hope in those around him, and it's being reflected in the environment.

What this is all leading to, not sure yet, but I'm very sure all of that is connected and will be important in part 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

We didn't get the "White Materia will glow green when Holy is summoned" talk this time, but that could be revealed in part 3 and have a flashback where everyone realizes "oh poo poo, it was still white," and then Cloud's Clear Materia will end up being the key to solving everything.

It's actually not revealed by this point in the original either! There's a sequence where Bugenhagen tells everyone about it and everyone panics about it because the White Materia is lost and they have to go and find a fmv clip memory of what happened to realize that Holy was already summoned. It's that whole weird sequence where you have to find The Key Of the Ancients that I think almost nobody remembers because it comes so late.

Seems entirely reasonable in Part 3 they'll do everything the same but swerve at the last second to "Holy was NOT summoned, oh fuuuuck."

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

We're going to equip the Zack materia at the end and finish Sephiorth off for good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

loling imagining Cloud coming back from the lifestream in part 3 with the clear materia turned red and it's now a Zack-summoning materia

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually not revealed by this point in the original either! There's a sequence where Bugenhagen tells everyone about it and everyone panics about it because the White Materia is lost and they have to go and find a fmv clip memory of what happened to realize that Holy was already summoned. It's that whole weird sequence where you have to find The Key Of the Ancients that I think almost nobody remembers because it comes so late.

Seems entirely reasonable in Part 3 they'll do everything the same but swerve at the last second to "Holy was NOT summoned, oh fuuuuck."

Oh poo poo that's right! I completely forgot about that

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still a firm believer that there's an Aerith that's alive in a different timeline. It's just that we haven't seen what a timeline transition looks like without whispers. It's a case of here's what happened in one then the other.

I think things get a little too confusing as to what happens in which timeline. That cute little date Aerith and Cloud go on is different from the one we spend time with Zack in. It's like any time people move between timeline it fractures another one off. But I don't this is the case since the Zack lives! timeline people were more regretful and mourning the end while the cute date timeline everyone was chipper and accepting. So Aerith and Cloud having that date put them in another one (Stamp on that chip bag is different than the one at the end of Remake). So there's still a timeline, I think the one with the Stamp from the end of Remake, where those two are still comatose. That's the one that Zack chose to help Cloud has to fight through the lobby.

Timelines. Timelines everywhere!

Or how about this theory: everything has already happened, which is why there are memories of OG events and why Sephiroth feels non-phased by just about everything. And this Remake and Rebirth and Remakebirth 3rd game are all sequels to Advent Children.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 19, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Does anyone have screenshots of each version of Stamp alongside the timeline they appear in? It'd be helpful if there was a breed name too because I don't know dog breeds very well.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At some point, Marlene is going to get the Clear Materia, and it will be filled with hope again near the end of the game, and she's going to summon Holy. Barret will never stop bragging about his baby girl saving the world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hyper Inferno posted:

Does anyone have screenshots of each version of Stamp alongside the timeline they appear in? It'd be helpful if there was a breed name too because I don't know dog breeds very well.

This site has all the pictures and a boatload of theories and speculations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Marlene's definitely got some kind of special planet powers, right? This game's definitely fueling the speculation that she's a Cetra (possibly on her father's side?).

in Remake, Aerith was able to share her foreknowledge with three people, two of whom we know have connections to the planet and/or the lifestream. There's Red XIII, whose species is deeply connected to the planet, and Cloud, who is absolutely chock full of mako (and also seems to only get snippets, unlike the much more comprehensive lore dump that Red XIII got).

And then there's Marlene. She got a full download, too, going by her conversation with Zack in Rebirth, which might suggest she's got a similar level of "planet power" to Red.

The evidence for Dyne is definitely much more scarce, though I couldn't help but wonder, while he was describing how he could hear his wife's voice begging him to stop, whether he could actually hear her voice and just had no idea he wasn't just hallucinating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have zero idea what the hell is going on with Marlene. We genuinely don't even know what is going on with mainline Marlene who doesn't show up at all in the entire game. They even cut out Cait Sith holding her hostage. I assume she's going to end up playing a bigger part in Return to Midgar.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm disappointed that Golden Saucer didn't contain an arcade cabinet that was straight up just Ergheiz.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Harrow posted:

Extremely anime trope of power of friendship causing them to win in Part 3 tied to Cloud's self-actualization/mental therapy is what powers his clear materia to victory would be something incredibly on point I think.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

Marlene's definitely got some kind of special planet powers, right? This game's definitely fueling the speculation that she's a Cetra (possibly on her father's side?).

in Remake, Aerith was able to share her foreknowledge with three people, two of whom we know have connections to the planet and/or the lifestream. There's Red XIII, whose species is deeply connected to the planet, and Cloud, who is absolutely chock full of mako (and also seems to only get snippets, unlike the much more comprehensive lore dump that Red XIII got).

And then there's Marlene. She got a full download, too, going by her conversation with Zack in Rebirth, which might suggest she's got a similar level of "planet power" to Red.

The evidence for Dyne is definitely much more scarce, though I couldn't help but wonder, while he was describing how he could hear his wife's voice begging him to stop, whether he could actually hear her voice and just had no idea he wasn't just hallucinating.

I think it’s more likely her mother, who we never see. Heck, maybe it’s a grandparent. But yeah she seems to have Cetra powers(it was hinted at in the original game and Advent Children too)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It would be funny if Sephiroth's downfall came at the hands of the actual last Cetra that he didn't even know about after spending all this time going after Aerith

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

I think it’s more likely her mother, who we never see. Heck, maybe it’s a grandparent. But yeah she seems to have Cetra powers(it was hinted at in the original game and Advent Children too)

Huh. When was it hinted at in the original game? I've missed that one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

watching the ending again, least Aeriths death and man, I actually like the concepts of whispers and whatnot but showing them doing donuts around cloud takes a lot out of it I feel

E: also realized the cuts of cloud talking while holding her body is most likely the 'she will never get angry, laugh' speech

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 19, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. When was it hinted at in the original game? I've missed that one.

IIRC the theory comes from how in the ending Holy cutscene Marlene feels Aerith's presence in the Lifestream. On its own this kinda feels like Expanded Universe "everything needs an extremely literal lore explanation" brainrot, but everything since then seems to be backing it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

IIRC the theory comes from how in the ending Holy cutscene Marlene feels Aerith's presence in the Lifestream. On its own this kinda feels like Expanded Universe "everything needs an extremely literal lore explanation" brainrot, but everything since then seems to be backing it up.

Oh, huh. Yeah, actually, that follows.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Just realized the backstory for the Gi is basically the plot of Spirits Within. Home planet destroyed, most of them died horribly, but a few survived and crash landed on a different planet. Now their spirits cannot rest because they are stuck on a different planet completely alien to them. Though I think in Spirits Within the intelligent aliens blew-up their own planet in a world war (within some of the alien ghosts basically just being alien wildlife accidentally brought along for the ride) while the Gi mention their planet's sun was swallowed by Gaia's sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Also has some resemblance to something you might see in the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Like a halfway point between the Edur and Imass.