Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sardonik posted:

In hindsight, you can really see how completely abandoning any framing device worked to Rifftrax's benefit in getting riffs out the door.

Other than the subtextual "This poo poo sucks rear end, we're forcing ourselves to watch it, and you by extension will too" I suppose.

I don't really disagree but I have found, myself, that I don't enjoy Rifftrax style stuff as much as MST3K. Like apparently I need the conceit of a guy plus his little robot friends, but I could easily do without the host segments? I loved those Cinema Editions that were up on youtube for a while. I have no idea what kind of brainworms I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Is there some sort of filter thing that puts a black row of seats with a guy and two robots at the bottom of a rifftrax? Maybe there should be.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Like apparently I need the conceit of a guy plus his little robot friends, but I could easily do without the host segments?

They only need the framing skits of going into and leaving the theater instead.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Classic MST3K was a small group of people, many of whom already knew each other from the local stand-up circuit, renting a space and spending their Comedy Central money to make a cow-town puppet show. Riffing was everyone in the same room, mostly, and they did an episode a week for however many episodes their season was.

NuMST3K is a larger group of people. Host segments are filmed in a block. Patton and Felicia had one, maybe two days of filming per season. Some of the performers and staff may never have been in the same place at the same time. And I’m fairly sure that at least some people were actually being paid decent salaries.

It’s the difference between a college theater group that’s doing productions on Youtube and making some money, and a local theater group that hires performers, some of whom are union members, and has to follow rules about things.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Are any shows allowed to be made like old mst3k as a weekly slow churn?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Yeah, when Syfy enforced continuity on the host segments, they fell off in a big way. There are still some good segments in the Syfy years, but none that deal with the "continuity". IMO.

So it's weird that given the freedom to do whatever, and Joel never having been on Syfy except for that one-off guest appearance, that he'd bring back the host segment serialization.

The continuity stuff in the Sci-Fi era was laughably light though and almost completely constrained to the first appearances of Bobo and Brain Guy. I don’t think it made the host segments any better or worse by any significant measure.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah the season eight segments have really grown on me- the Brain Guy planet is one of the funniest runs they had there. Imo, the difference is that that plot was pretty much just an excuse to give the mads a new setting for 3-6 episodes. The new stuff just feels very plotty and not gag focused and I'm just not interested in it.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Bring Mike down!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I liked the continuity storylines of the Sci-Fi Channel era. Even when they were just contained to single ep. The Comedy Central era had a couple (Timmy, The "Mirror Universe" bit, Joel escaping) and wished they had done more of that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Don't! The fryer's hooked up to the clapper!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh... great! It's Munchie again.

E:

The slide whistle of imminent doom!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 19, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I still don't understand why Munchie exists.

It's like the horrible Venn diagram center of "movie with annoying 'whimsical' sidekick character", "movie with magical space friend" and "movie with Dom DeLuise".

Just 100% cursed. I can't believe anyone seriously thought that this was a good idea, OR that this was an idea that would make anyone money.

Why is Munchie?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I still don't understand why Munchie exists.

It's like the horrible Venn diagram center of "movie with annoying 'whimsical' sidekick character", "movie with magical space friend" and "movie with Dom DeLuise".

Just 100% cursed. I can't believe anyone seriously thought that this was a good idea, OR that this was an idea that would make anyone money.

Why is Munchie?

Because it's gotta be Munchie! :yayclod:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This host segment at the start of Gorgo is so god drat good.

Crow's head being the nesting place for the rare Spix's Macaw.
Crow engaging in an off screen shootout with some weasels trying to steal the eggs.
Brain Guy arm wrestling Bobo
Crow tragically losing his eggs because he accidentally made an omelet in front of them

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Clouseau posted:

Yeah the season eight segments have really grown on me- the Brain Guy planet is one of the funniest runs they had there. Imo, the difference is that that plot was pretty much just an excuse to give the mads a new setting for 3-6 episodes. The new stuff just feels very plotty and not gag focused and I'm just not interested in it.

Same, I used to really not like the Sci Fi skits but now I think they're pretty decent. Pearl is a very very good mad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clouseau posted:

See also the delightful Trial of Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds.

I love Mike fumbling into getting Bobo as his lawyer and Pearl on the prosecution. Also 'Now you're gonna hear the word 'panties' a lot, so let's get them giggles out now.'

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

JethroMcB posted:

I've used that line more than a few times to summarize other movies for people.

I use TV's Frank's opinion of Earth vs Soup: "Frankly it's a great big so-what."

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Narsham posted:

Classic MST3K was a small group of people, many of whom already knew each other from the local stand-up circuit, renting a space and spending their Comedy Central money to make a cow-town puppet show. Riffing was everyone in the same room, mostly, and they did an episode a week for however many episodes their season was.

NuMST3K is a larger group of people. Host segments are filmed in a block. Patton and Felicia had one, maybe two days of filming per season. Some of the performers and staff may never have been in the same place at the same time. And I’m fairly sure that at least some people were actually being paid decent salaries.

It’s the difference between a college theater group that’s doing productions on Youtube and making some money, and a local theater group that hires performers, some of whom are union members, and has to follow rules about things.

Yeah, all other things aside it's really really hard to execute on this sort of concept at this scale, in a way that would attract investor attention and could be a branded "Netflix" show, without a budget outlay that the original show could never have afforded. Part of the "sell" behind NuMST3K was its big-name comedy writers -- who were probably massively influenced by MST3K, jumped at the chance of fulfilling a lifelong dream, but who were already pulling pay rates that would have made the original crew's jaws drop. Like, I'm sure Dan Harmon took a huge pay cut (by his standards) to work on the show but collectively it put another strain on the budget.

And when you raise the stakes like that, you need a bigger payoff, and it just feels like the audience wasn't there for that. To the extent that an MST3K revival is feasible, it's probably much more on the scale of the original model, which like you said, basically amounts to some guys doing low-/no-budget stuff on Youtube in their garage. The original was true lightning in a bottle: a bunch of talented, funny no-names who got together locally and organically created something great. Something's always going to feel off about attempts to artificially reconstruct that in an edges-sanded-off "professional" setting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah there's a lot of polish in the revival stuff (just being in HD is a huge change) and that extends to the jokes. They are very good, professional jokes written by very good, professional joke writers, but they lose some of the outsider art appeal that I enjoy in the original stuff

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Her Dryer posted:

Same, I used to really not like the Sci Fi skits but now I think they're pretty decent. Pearl is a very very good mad.

It's actually a little strange to go back and watch the late Comedy Central shows that introduced Pearl. They're good funny bits, but wow, Mary Jo did NOT have her character down yet. Once she wasn't constrained by being Clayton's mom all the time and became the center stage Mad, she just bloomed. :allears:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Mary Jo really throws herself entirely at Pearl, and its a bummer people were so lovely to her about it.

There's the obvious reasons why a certain segment of fans would be terrible about it, but then also there's that whatever is new MST3K is doing is bad (I remember people getting upset that they were releasing the scifi eps on dvd!! there were still comedy central episodes to do!) and the old stuff is unimpeachable classics.

Now to get back to my complaints about the new seasons...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clouseau posted:

There's the obvious reasons why a certain segment of fans would be terrible about it, but then also there's that whatever is new MST3K is doing is bad (I remember people getting upset that they were releasing the scifi eps on dvd!! there were still comedy central episodes to do!) and the old stuff is unimpeachable classics.

You get that so much on the various groups out there. "Hot take, I know, but Mike is BAD." It was a hot take for rec.arts.mst3k circa 1993, maybe, but the way they feel like they're out there spitting such fire with their opinions would be comical if it weren't so tired.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Powered Descent posted:

It's actually a little strange to go back and watch the late Comedy Central shows that introduced Pearl. They're good funny bits, but wow, Mary Jo did NOT have her character down yet. Once she wasn't constrained by being Clayton's mom all the time and became the center stage Mad, she just bloomed. :allears:

One of my favourite MST3K moments of all time is the bit where they've just found Castle Forrester and she sits at the organ and very dramatically plays first horror organ music, then baseball park organ music, and then gets up staring at her hands and says in wildly overacted amazement, "I've never played before!"

God she's so loving funny, I love her.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Clouseau posted:

Mary Jo really throws herself entirely at Pearl, and its a bummer people were so lovely to her about it.

Wait, why were people lovely to Mary Jo about Pearl? Just garden variety misogyny or something else? Because she owns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nerds hate change.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah she got hate mail and it bummed her the gently caress out. Nerds hate change + misogyny.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Powered Descent posted:

Pearl riffing the first act of Quest of the Delta Knights always made me wish she was in the theater more.

"My name is Baydool. Can you say Baydool?"
Pearl: "Let me try. Uh, 'Get Bent.' No, I guess I can't!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait, why were people lovely to Mary Jo about Pearl? Just garden variety misogyny or something else? Because she owns.

Some of the former but a lot of the latter. Never forget that changing hosts kicked off a ridiculously massive flame war with sides being drawn over a cow town puppet show and even further back a giant 16-page dot matrix printout sent to Best Brains saying "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pearl rules, the haters are wrong and dumb

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I remember when Dr Erhardt left and TV’s Frank showed up I was all “who the gently caress is this rear end in a top hat?” lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think I'll never get over how dour of a movie Laserblast is, more so than High School Big Shot really. Billy gets possessed by a space amulet and delivers justice to a bunch of assholes. And his reward is to get blasted by some aliens who never should have let him get the amulet in the first place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Simplex posted:

I think I'll never get over how dour of a movie Laserblast is, more so than High School Big Shot really. Billy gets possessed by a space amulet and delivers justice to a bunch of assholes. And his reward is to get blasted by some aliens who never should have let him get the amulet in the first place.

The saddest fact is he was not ready for some football.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SolarFire2 posted:

Pearl riffing the first act of Quest of the Delta Knights always made me wish she was in the theater more.

"My name is Baydool. Can you say Baydool?"
Pearl: "Let me try. Uh, 'Get Bent.' No, I guess I can't!"

Mary Jo and Bridget have some riffs on Rifftrax and everything they do is just loving magical. If you've never seen them you're really missing out.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Mary Jo and Bridget have some riffs on Rifftrax and everything they do is just loving magical. If you've never seen them you're really missing out.

The drunken aunts vibe is so good.

This "short" (30 minutes!) is one of my favorite riffs: https://www.rifftrax.com/wonderful-world-of-tupperware

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dawgstar posted:

Some of the former but a lot of the latter. Never forget that changing hosts kicked off a ridiculously massive flame war with sides being drawn over a cow town puppet show and even further back a giant 16-page dot matrix printout sent to Best Brains saying "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE."

It's also become a traditional greeting for a new actor playing Servo, although obviously not meant seriously. I'm pretty sure more than one person said it to Josh when he returned as Servo last season.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clouseau posted:

The drunken aunts vibe is so good.

This "short" (30 minutes!) is one of my favorite riffs: https://www.rifftrax.com/wonderful-world-of-tupperware

See also "My Mom Was Never a Kid!"

Actually it's free on the RT YouTube so just watch that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIv9MEjXIQk

Mary Jo: "Hey, Bridget, for Mother's Day I got you an After School Special even though you're not my mother."
Bridget: "Oh my gosh, thank you!"
Mary Jo: "Although people usually think that."

:allears:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The Teen-Agers movies are good too imo, and Mary Higgins Clark movies always have something batshit in them, but really, yeah, everything they do is worth a watch just because their rapport is so genuine and their laughter is contagious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The Teen-Agers movies are good too imo, and Mary Higgins Clark movies always have something batshit in them, but really, yeah, everything they do is worth a watch just because their rapport is so genuine and their laughter is contagious.

A shame some of the Teen-Ager flicks just aren't in any condition to be used, from what I understand.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Bridget and Mary Jo riffs are the only ones that I buy any more. They're just having so much FUN and the made-for-TV movies they do are such a rich untapped vein of riffing potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The other day they ran Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus--an animated TV special from the producer of all the old Peanuts specials--on RT's Twitch channel, and I don't think I've ever heard Mary Jo express such raw hatred.