Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played it and the best innovation it had was the trade resource system. Basically if you want good/big upgrades to your cities you need special resources for them that you get either via trade or by stealing poo poo or by developing it yourself. Including walls. So if you want a bunch of walls you'll need a bunch of Stone.

I liked it because it made diplomacy worth giving a poo poo about, and more importantly it meant that each trade resources was valuable in its own way, and if you had a surplus of poo poo you didn't need you could trade it away for lots of money/whatever you needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I think I did two battles and then had someone from outside the fog of war that I could see just walk over and sack a city and I turned it off

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Spent a good chunk of the morning save scumming to try and corner Malus as Archaon to subjugate him without my vassals stealing his last settlement first. I want those Darkshards dammit.

Now that I have, my lord who is loving up Kislev got a peak at the Empire for the long victory condition... and Reikland is the only one left standing against a Sylvania juggernaut. Was kind of hoping to have an epic fight against the various Empire factions to get those 70 settlements or whatever. May have to reconsider.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought people ended up liking Troy more when they put actual myth units in?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I liked it more

in concept

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the best total war sieges were in barbarian invasion because if it's just going to be 2 armies smashing at the walls why not do it with shieldwalls instead

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordja posted:

I thought people ended up liking Troy more when they put actual myth units in?

They released the game, called big dudes with axes "minotaurs" and people on horses "centaurs" after people palyed total war warhammer then charged $25 for DLC to have actual monsters in the game.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I actually liked Troy, but I also have a very well worn copy of the Iliad at home and enjoy reading about that early period of history. I can absolutely understand people bouncing off it though.

Amazons did the unit upgrading first. The warriors of chaos system was test run in Troy. As said above I also liked the multiple resource system instead of just gold.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I played Troy and picked the diplomacy faction and had 20 trade agreements but you couldn't make them last more than 10 turns at a time and every time you wanted to refresh it you had to do the annoying dance of figuring out how much the other faction is willing to give you and I quit the game

the resources themselves were cool though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

jokes posted:

They released the game, called big dudes with axes "minotaurs" and people on horses "centaurs" after people palyed total war warhammer then charged $25 for DLC to have actual monsters in the game.

Ah didn't realize they charged for it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

CA has heard your complaints about siege and a desire to return to WH2 mechanics, so in the next patch whenever you go to siege a city instead of fighting a battle you will be asked to solve a sudoku puzzle through a multiple choice question, two of the choices will be correct but only one will be the allowed answer.

Or you'll have to solve one of these.

I actually miss searching ruins. It made hunting skaven not a complete miss if you wiffed. That particular puzzle can go away forever though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Anyone know what name they're talking about in the new hotfix? Going all the way back to hams 2 apparently

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

Anyone know what name they're talking about in the new hotfix? Going all the way back to hams 2 apparently

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Snorko Ol'Weirdy

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
do not ask where snorko was during november 8, 1923

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

The name was ElfHitler

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I think the patch note commenters are getting confused between Warhammer and War Thunder

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

8 Ball posted:

I think the patch note commenters are getting confused between Warhammer and War Thunder

Why, are they posting classified documents?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I dont know posted:

Why, are they posting classified documents?

Didn't you hear? Magic is actually real and we are about to be invaded by the Empire.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the steam comments for the patch thread are amazing

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Also the Changling was revealing cults when you backed out of the siege screen as well (clicking maintain siege counted as a loss) so let’s hope they noticed and fixed that as well.

I think they aren’t play testing campaign at all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does it seem like they've been really slow to release information about the next dlc, or is this more typical? Still curious who the legendary lords will actually be.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Dolash posted:

Does it seem like they've been really slow to release information about the next dlc, or is this more typical? Still curious who the legendary lords will actually be.

They don't usually release trailers or anything when there's a steam sale going so the earliest news would probably be on Thursday

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Dolash posted:

There's been a new string in the files about a likely new start position for Dwarfs in Karak Azorn in the Mountains of Mourn , that's been the only new concrete info other than likely LL speculation.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Midnightghoul posted:

There's been a new string in the files about a likely new start position for Dwarfs in Karak Azorn in the Mountains of Mourn , that's been the only new concrete info other than likely LL speculation.

If this ends up being the case, that's going to be one hell of a Thunderdome/challenge run. *Stares in Thorgrim post greenskin game 2 revamp ptsd

Doesn't give us any great hints about which lord though, outside a dwarf on a mission to reclaim the holds, which is...all of them? Makes a horde dwarf faction less likely I suppose, but who the gently caress knows, you could make a Malakai or Bugmen horde work ala Nakai I suppose. Rules out Zhufbar as well, which is probably good with how packed that area is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TaintedBalance posted:

Doesn't give us any great hints about which lord though,

I've said before: if Creative Assembly wants to make a female dwarf LL, the only named female dwarf character in all of Fantasy's lore was Queen Helga, the ruler of Karak Azorn.

But every time I've mentioned that she could be a a good LL in this thread, people pile in to say 'No way they'd make an essentially original LL out of a historical setting character, it would be tabletop character X, Y, or Z' :shrug:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm playing Imrik for the first time, and lol I love that this guy is such a prima donna, really captures the true elf vibe. Also I love getting cool quest battles against powerful dragons, gotta catch em all!

It's also very nice playing a character with victory conditions that are, like, relevant to the area of the world they are in; Tyrion's long victory conditions require you to destroy every major dark elf faction, meaning you need to paint like a quarter of the map.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Dolash posted:

I think it's been a trailer on Friday, a blog post next Tuesday and then faction per week until launch. So it could still be up to two weeks until they start releasing information even if the DLC is still on time.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Cythereal posted:

I've said before: if Creative Assembly wants to make a female dwarf LL, the only named female dwarf character in all of Fantasy's lore was Queen Helga, the ruler of Karak Azorn.

But every time I've mentioned that she could be a a good LL in this thread, people pile in to say 'No way they'd make an essentially original LL out of a historical setting character, it would be tabletop character X, Y, or Z' :shrug:

The major issue with that being she was the ruler of Krag Bryn, not Karak Azorn, unless that's been retconned somewhere. She's got a mini and wargear, so it could work. She's from a long rear end time ago, but not like any timeline poo poo matters in this game. I'd be down for a surprise Priestess of Valia hero, if for no other reason than watching the shitheads lose their loving minds.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cythereal posted:

Is it warhammer dwarfs that are basically not sexually dimorphic, so the ladies have the beards and bellies and the broad shoulders and all of that? They could make the lady dwarf and not even need to use a different model!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NeurosisHead posted:

Is it warhammer dwarfs that are basically not sexually dimorphic, so the ladies have the beards and bellies and the broad shoulders and all of that?

No, it's the standard Warhammer (Fantasy, 40k, and Sigmar) line of 'Women for this race totally exist and if you're lucky we'll include an image of one in the army book and a limited production run model from the 80s.' Female ogres, beastmen, skaven, and, depending on the edition, orcs and goblins (depending on whether they're fungal like 40k in this edition or not) fall into the same category.

There's no reason CA/GW couldn't make women LLs and units and whatnot for them. They just don't.

At least we're presumably getting Elspeth von Drachen in Thrones of Decay to break up the Imperial sausage fest?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 19, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

NeurosisHead posted:

Is it warhammer dwarfs that are basically not sexually dimorphic, so the ladies have the beards and bellies and the broad shoulders and all of that? They could make the lady dwarf and not even need to use a different model!

You are thinking of Discworld.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

While that would be cool, I do think they probably will do a tabletop character. As far as I know Cylostra is their main "original " LL and they seemd to imply that would be rare. Shame, but yeah I expect Elspeth is coming.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ravenfood posted:

As far as I know Cylostra is their main "original " LL

Azhag, Boris Ursus, and Repanse were historical figures long dead by the Storm of Chaos and the End Times, and Kostaltyn and all of Cathay debuted in this game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cythereal posted:

Azhag, Boris Ursus, and Repanse were historical figures long dead by the Storm of Chaos and the End Times, and Kostaltyn and all of Cathay debuted in this game.

None of those are CA inventions, unlike Cylostra.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TaintedBalance posted:

The major issue with that being she was the ruler of Krag Bryn, not Karak Azorn, unless that's been retconned somewhere. She's got a mini and wargear, so it could work. She's from a long rear end time ago, but not like any timeline poo poo matters in this game. I'd be down for a surprise Priestess of Valia hero, if for no other reason than watching the shitheads lose their loving minds.

My main issue is that she’s kind of a dumbass who backstabbed her long term allies.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh, everybody loves when the Skaven do that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Yeah fair enough. Cylostra was invented whole cloth but it seems like CA did a lot to flesh out a ton of people who basically only had names on the tabletop. No reason they couldn't do that for the Dwarf Queen.

Still, I suspect it'll be one of the Engineers who found it via thunderbarge and settled there. Dwarf queen would be cool though.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

MonsterEnvy posted:

My main issue is that she’s kind of a dumbass who backstabbed her long term allies.

Sounds like she goes into the book of grudges..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azran posted:

None of those are CA inventions, unlike Cylostra.

By all means, show me the book preceding this game that told the story of Miao Ying.