Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Wow! And they only cost $30??

haha yea i am not a skin-buyer so dont know the market but this price seems excessive to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I haven't seen a single one of the skins in the wild. Can't be selling nearly as well as the previous stuff.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Tracer chewing up supports before zipping over to the tank with pulse literally every fight is extremely fun for everyone involved. Any time I get filled DPS I've been rolling Pharah to stay as far away from that mess as possible.

BabyRyoga posted:

I dunno. I see the bigwigs at Activation sabotaging the original vision of what OW2 was supposed to be for profits or stock prices or whatever as one part of why the game sucks. The other part is that the current dev team just doesn't have any clue what direction they want to take the game in. I don't know what percentage of people on the team have been around for the majority or entity of the franchise's existence, but it seems like, at least from a game design perspective, not that many. Ultimately, they are the ones that make stupid design decisions, and have lacked the problem solving skills to use the resources and deadlines they were given into something better.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a problem with humility in general on both the OW2 and D4 teams in the past year especially; the devs on either are very hesitant to accept any kind of negative feedback and pushback from players. Nearly every content creator and pro could say "the mob density is too low", or "the itemization sucks", or "6v6 is WAY more fun and engaging than 5v5", and the devs seem to fight tooth and nail that their design philosophy is right, and the players don't know what they are talking about. Maybe D4 has gotten better since launch, but for like the first 2-3 months after launch, it was levels of mismanaging the feedback and expectations of the community by the devs probably even worse than OW2.
iirc D4 is doing so badly that D2 active users currently outnumber the D4 players, truly astounding levels of incompetence all around given how hard they tried to hype up D4

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't mind d4 but I've abandoned it by season 3 and it's insane to me that a game like that had the development time it did

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I didn't mind d4 but I've abandoned it by season 3 and it's insane to me that a game like that had the development time it did

With nothing programmatically generated, I couldn't stand doing any encounter or dungeon more than once or twice.

D2 is still brilliant trying to work around different monster types and immunes.

What makes diablo good is stacking affixes that you have to react to, versus just grinding the same rotation for any occasion.

D4 adopted all the stuff that makes MMOs boring.

headcase fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 17, 2024

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Malah posted:

Tracer chewing up supports before zipping over to the tank with pulse literally every fight is extremely fun for everyone involved. Any time I get filled DPS I've been rolling Pharah to stay as far away from that mess as possible.

iirc D4 is doing so badly that D2 active users currently outnumber the D4 players, truly astounding levels of incompetence all around given how hard they tried to hype up D4

That is extremely frustrating, and I feel like my point about the humility of the devs is a pretty strong factor in why both of these games are struggling.

I'm not sure why it just happens to be the case that current Blizzard devs can't seem to listen to the fans that are the most vocal and important within the player base, but i've seen it in both games when devs directly address common feedback and essentially tell players that they are "wrong" in so many words. Perhaps it is an ego thing?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's a Blizzard culture thing. They're Blizzard, and they know better than you how you need to enjoy a game, and if you are unhappy it is a problem with you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for years they refuse to do wow classic because 'you think you want that but you dont' and then only did it because the game was floundering and then it made them infinite money

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Endorph posted:

for years they refuse to do wow classic because 'you think you want that but you dont' and then only did it because the game was floundering and then it made them infinite money

Quite ironic when you also consider that a lot of the people who ended up playing WoW Classic aren't even necessarily the ones who were the deepest into the game in the mid 2000's. Even the rose-tinted glasses argument would stumble, here.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

on the other hand, fans often don't know what the gently caress they're talking about, even streamers

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think after years upon years of ignoring fans and then every time a change happens watching numbers drop off a cliff, at some point you've gotta ask "is it me? Am I the problem here?".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

More info on the troubled/cancelled Story Missions

https://kotaku.com/overwatch-2-story-missions-campaign-canceled-blizzard-1851345720

• PVP missions were supposed to be released every 18 months
  • Devs complained about "Blizzard Quality" being used as an excuse for delay by directors/management
  • Overwatch PVE is hard to make because of how varied the hero kits are (not sure I trust this one)
  • Internal sentiment about PVE from artists became increasingly pessimistic as development went on
  • The decision to axe the mode came just 2 months after the "early access" launch
  • "Too Many Cooks"
  • The recent layoffs have pretty much killed off PVE
  • “It really doesn’t seem like, even from a business perspective, that Activision or Microsoft have any faith in the PvE.”

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i speculated before that hero kit diversity was one of the major factors in gumming up the works for PVE development, so that definitely tracks. it's hard to adapt the gameplay of someone like, say, ball to the more curated flow of a PVE mission, and so you run the risk of certain heroes being straight up useless because they deviate too much from the formula and cannot afford to be accommodated

it ultimately sounds like they had far too outsized ambitions for what they wanted PVE to be. if they'd kept the scope small and piecemeal with a handpicked roster of popular heroes that they could iterate off of, then you absolutely could've gotten something good out the door, but i think jeff and other devs on the PVE side had stars in their eyes and wanted to realize the vision of project titan regardless of the cost the game itself. it's such a goddamn waste

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
It is super odd to me that they tried so hard to force the whole roster to work together in PvE in some sort of "we're Overwatch!" kind of way. Should've just kept to their backgrounds and made mini modes off of them.

Cass and Ashe heist simulator. Lucio DJ Hero. Mei survival game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

• PVE missions were supposed to be released every 18 months
if it even came to be, what a miserable awful release schedule. just did a couple missions, time to wait another year and a half

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zet posted:

It is super odd to me that they tried so hard to force the whole roster to work together in PvE in some sort of "we're Overwatch!" kind of way. Should've just kept to their backgrounds and made mini modes off of them.

Cass and Ashe heist simulator. Lucio DJ Hero. Mei survival game.

it's partly because they were driven by the dream of project titan and partly because i don't think they saw any realistic business model from selling small arcade experiences like that. you want to have as much of the roster available as possible to encourage secondary sales in skins for people who might otherwise not play PVP enough to spend a dime, and you need the releases to be big marquee events that draw high initial sales that can then spark further purchases via positive word of mouth

i don't think you were ever going to get a comprehensive PVE mode at the scale they envisioned. they needed to tamp down their own ambitions and focus on creating something that would support the PVP side of the game by drawing in people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in trying out a competitive FPS, but it really seems like they thought they could either match or exceed the PVP side of the game, and that hubris cost both ends dearly

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 19, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can just attach various random benefits to characters in pve to make them useful though. like in tf2 scout can pick up money from further away. it doesnt really have anything to do with what he does in the main game but it makes him useful in pve.

it really just seems like they had this insane plan with no idea how to implement it instead of just doing basic wave defense.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Archives was a perfectly good once-a-year, lore heavy PVE event, and they should have stuck to that template.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

you can just attach various random benefits to characters in pve to make them useful though. like in tf2 scout can pick up money from further away. it doesnt really have anything to do with what he does in the main game but it makes him useful in pve.

it really just seems like they had this insane plan with no idea how to implement it instead of just doing basic wave defense.

yeah it's clownshoes and not in a particularly surprising way

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

[list]
[*]Overwatch PVE is hard to make because of how varied the hero kits are (not sure I trust this one)

Considering a lot of stuff technically doesn't even work in PVP...

Maybe if they would stop making DUMB loving CHARACTERS THAT MAKE NO SENSE AND DON'T FIT INTO THE GAME, it would be easier to convert the individual hero kits into something serviceable for PVE.

This was already a problem with a lot of stuff in OW1, but has gone full idiot in OW2. The only new hero that is even unequivocally non-cancerous is JQ. Every other hero released in OW2 times could probably be removed from the game, and the game would be slightly better as a result.

Souj isn't that bad, aside from the power creep. What's next, the one that has a drill and burrows underground? Amazing, I wonder which person on the design team copied that idea from a drawing their 8-year-old did in crayon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I mean from the looks of it the burrowing acts like a reskinned Shadow Step, so I'm not sure why you've focused on it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Driller hero just gonna remind everyone of a 4p co-op game that actually exists

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I prefer having the weird characters. Soj is a pointless addition. LW also adds nothing.

I just don't think OW needs endless characters. I get that it's the monetization strategy, but I don't need 1000 skins per character and 1000 characters to pick from. Every character past and including Orisa has made the game worse. Trying to do it every other season seems impossible to manage.

Alternatively, focusing on well designed game modes and maps would make OW more fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Junker Queen is legitimately fun to play as, with and against. Best character they've released in a long time.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Junker Queen is legitimately fun to play as, with and against. Best character they've released in a long time.

Yeah that is a good one. Feels like a true tank from a distraction/can't ignore/space taking perspective.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
This game is just going to get skins and slowly die over the next few years is basically what Blizzard is telling you. They fired a ton of people and the quality of the game just keeps taking hits. They just don’t have the talent to get the game into a good spot. The maps are still mostly bad, 5v5 still has a ton of balancing issues, and they want to keep pumping out characters and maps.

I want the Overwatch game in my head, but I don’t see a future for this besides slowly bleeding out and dying. Even the skin quality has gone down, the spike skin is getting memed on endlessly.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

headcase posted:

I just don't think OW needs endless characters. I get that it's the monetization strategy, but I don't need 1000 skins per character and 1000 characters to pick from. Every character past and including Orisa has made the game worse.

Ana is possibly the most well-designed character in the entire game. Moira is pretty unoffensive at this point. Ashe is a good character, but they probably should have just replaced Widow entirely with her. New Sombra and Orisa are not terrible designs, but Sombra is still problematic in some ways. Sigma is also cool, but a bit power crept. JQ is a really good design for niche comps. I think those are the non-launch characters that I generally like.

Doom, Echo, and Ball have always been problematic in that they all create scenarios that are hard for the average player to adapt to. Brig essentially ruined the game for over a year in OW1 times. Soj is too powercrept and impossible to balance around not being garbage for lower skilled players but not completely broken for highly skilled ones.

In the even worse tier, essentially nothing about Bap or Kiriko was designed by someone with a good sense of what is balanced and healthy for the game. Ram and LW are WoW characters that don't belong in a shooter. Mauga just doesn't seem like he really adds anything to the game.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 19, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, the game exist purely as a vehicle to peddle overpriced skins to people with more money than sense?
Well I'll be damned, who could have expected that.

Inb4 they start selling Overwatch Classic.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H998wgSQm3M

- From S10 on, new heroes will be unlocked for everyone on day 1, no need to grind to level 45.

- Mythic skins from past seasons will be obtainable in the Mythic Shop

- Next Push map is Ranasapi, set in Illari's hometown, and a preview of Clash mode (basically 5CP weighted dynamically to reduce stomps) is coming in S10

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

More info on the troubled/cancelled Story Missions

https://kotaku.com/overwatch-2-story-missions-campaign-canceled-blizzard-1851345720

• PVP missions were supposed to be released every 18 months
  • Devs complained about "Blizzard Quality" being used as an excuse for delay by directors/management
  • Overwatch PVE is hard to make because of how varied the hero kits are (not sure I trust this one)
  • Internal sentiment about PVE from artists became increasingly pessimistic as development went on
  • The decision to axe the mode came just 2 months after the "early access" launch
  • "Too Many Cooks"
  • The recent layoffs have pretty much killed off PVE
  • “It really doesn’t seem like, even from a business perspective, that Activision or Microsoft have any faith in the PvE.”

A little more from an ex-dev in the banished thread.

quote:

Most of this tracks; however, the Microsoft merger had no bearing on their decision to scrap further PvE scenarios, they basically halted any new PvE development years ago. The original hehe remains timeless and true.

Triple post but the article doesn't mention how several hero skill trees were completely done and ready but because not all of the planned heroes were completed, they just dropped the whole shebang instead. I know for a fact that Tracer and Reaper are done and have been done for a long time.

I want to know who told Kotaku that the future of PvE is "unclear" because I gotta ask what copium pack are they still smoking.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dick Jones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H998wgSQm3M

- From S10 on, new heroes will be unlocked for everyone on day 1, no need to grind to level 45.

- Mythic skins from past seasons will be obtainable in the Mythic Shop

- Next Push map is Ranasapi, set in Illari's hometown, and a preview of Clash mode (basically 5CP weighted dynamically to reduce stomps) is coming in S10

place your bets on how much mythics will cost

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Relyssa posted:

place your bets on how much mythics will cost

token based system where you get a token from finishing a battlepass or you can buy one for $30

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

token based system where you get a token from finishing a battlepass or you can buy one for $30

$30 is pretty cheap when compared to that cowboy bebop bundle

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Relyssa posted:

$30 is pretty cheap when compared to that cowboy bebop bundle

I'm making poo poo up obviously, but battlepasses are only $10 for a mythic if you complete them

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm making poo poo up obviously, but battlepasses are only $10 for a mythic if you complete them

I know, but it does sound like the sort of price they'd come up with. battlepasses are fomo poo poo so $10 doesn't help tbh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Battle pass mythics cost 10$ + however many weeks of your life grinding for it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it sort of depends on your psychology, some people genuinely like grinding battlepasses and want an excuse to play a game.
For probably a larger amount of people, burnout happens like 30-50% of the way through a pass.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

I think it sort of depends on your psychology, some people genuinely like grinding battlepasses and want an excuse to play a game.
For probably a larger amount of people, burnout happens like 30-50% of the way through a pass.

I'm honestly just sick to death of loving battlepasses in every game these days. I only have so much free time, and it's not getting any more plentiful.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I don' t mind the battlepass because my brain is broken and "number go up" works on me in a way "give us money" or "gamble on this crate" does not, I just have to try to Quit Gettin Mad At Video Games.

What I am annoyed about is how much of the battlepass is just utter loving trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The classic FOMO battlepass is basically a burnout churn machine and devs have started to notice the double edged sword of the typical battlepass psychology. Some newer games have permanently available battlepasses that just add more stuff to grind for every season, without removing older tracks. You basically get a majority of the retention effects of the battlepass but none of the sense of burnout and cathartic severing that comes from a player actually "Missing Out" when reality overtakes the "Fear Of."

It's less customer-unfriendly in general but exploits the number go up mentality much harder when you've got, like, a dozen different battle pass tracks permanently available in your game and more come on a seasonal basis.

Helldivers 2 launched with three different permanent-unlock battle pass tracks for pretty much this reason. Combines a la carte access with battle pass retention.