Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cage posted:

Driving in to work at 6:30am when its dark I'll probably see someone with headlights on but no rear brake lights every day/every other day.

Those are DRLs, not headlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MrYenko posted:

Those are DRLs, not headlights.
Which are headlights at like 50% power I thought?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

Yeah but most importantly: no tail lights on with DRLs. Complete regulatory failure. Why do DRLs even exist? Auto-on headlights should be the default operation mode

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cage posted:

A lot of vehicles use an entirely separate lamp for DRLs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MrYenko posted:

A lot of vehicles use an entirely separate lamp for DRLs.

I don't know if they still do, but a lot of DRLs were the high beam bulbs run at low power.

Cage posted:

Driving in to work at 6:30am when its dark I'll probably see someone with daytime running lights on but no rear brake lights every day/every other day.

FTFY

E: beaten like the proverbial redheaded step child.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 19, 2024

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The Canadian government finally took some steps to improving new vehicles as of 2024.
https://www.theautopian.com/heres-how-canadas-anti-ghost-car-legislation-helped-bring-about-some-neat-headlight-switches/

Edit: The article says 2021 but it didn't fully come into effect until this year.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 19, 2024

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Still dont see how Im wrong. :colbert:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DRL's on my BRZ are 100% completely different lights than anything else. They are a stip of LEDs above the foglights outside of the headlight housing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

With all the poo poo that’s regulated on cars, it completely blows my mind that this is still allowed. It’s such an idiotically simple fix.

It's so bizarre that unlike older cars which were sidelights on = rear lights too, modern stuff having mandatory DRLs don't always turn the rear lights on too. I love driving in heavy rain or fog and having to look extra hard because some dipshit doesn't understand how their car works.

It should be an offence and a fine imo and maybe then manufacturers would receive some push back on how dumb they are.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Why do DRLs even exist? Auto-on headlights should be the default operation mode

Pedestrian safety I think? Supposedly so peds can see which cars are moving vs those that aren't... Car is on = lights = potential danger.

What I've noticed though is that a lot of DRLs are so bright that it makes it a lot harder to spot both pedestrians and especially cyclists. I work around a university and more cars with more lights is just masking cyclists incredibly well and it sucks poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 19, 2024

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DRLs are even dumber now with every car having stylized LED accent lights that don't project any light at all, and yet STILL people drive around without their lights on in the dark and rain. Like... can you not tell that you can't see poo poo? I so want to reach into their car and toggle the switch and show them how dumb they are. And for god's sake why are DRLs only on the front. Soooo many unlit tail lamps.

When I rule the world, car on = lights on, all around.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It should be an offence and a fine imo and maybe then manufacturers would receive some push back on how dumb they are.

It is an offense to drive in the dark or bad weather (wipers on, lights on!) without your full headlights on in many (all?) states, but :lol: at enforcement. But agreed manufacturers should be on the hook to make it harder/impossible.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 19, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blame modern dashboards and automatic headlights for why people drive around without lights.

If you are in a well lighted area, it can be really easy to not notice that your car isn't lighting the way. But if your dashboard is all screen or otherwise electroluminescent, you get no (or get few) interior clues that the lights are off.

Combine that with automatic headlights and things get even more confusing. Garages often turn automatic headlights off when they are working on a car to keep from blinding themselves.

So, you can have a person who's had automatic headlights on for months or even close to a year and not have to think about them at all go get their oil changed and have them get turned off by the garage. Then maybe they go a few more days without driving in the dark. Suddenly, they are out past sunset in a place with lots of street lights with an LCD gauge cluster and they have no reason at all to suspect that the headlights are off.

It's a UX problem that should be standardized. My BRZ has an icon on the dash that indicates the lights are on and even one that indicates the fog lights are on. My Golf R, even with an LCD dash, needs to have you inspect the light switch to see if they are on or not.

If a car has automatic headlights, it should display a prominent warning on the dash if it detects that the lights should be on but are turned off.

Similarly, there should be an interlock between the wiper on switch and the headlights. Turning on the wipers should automatically turn on the light system of a car.

There's really an appalling lack of standardization guidelines for car interfaces and we just let manufacturers do whatever and hope people follow manuals and do checklists like pilots.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

Weird lights stuff.

Any car with DRL i drove that wasn't Japanese had clear indication if the DRL, low or high beams were activated. My current jeep has an indicator on the dash and additional interior lighting (roof, sides and central cargo bin) turning on if the car switches from DRL to low beams, plus it's a stark visual change so you would need to be legally blind to not be aware of what's currently on. Also you cannot switch off drl without pulling fuses.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The DRL thing is really common because even though it's weak it's enough light for people to think their real lights are on. And yeah it's ridiculous that they don't also require tail illumination.

I also see people driving around well lit areas at night with no lights because they can still sorta see enough to not trip their oh poo poo my lights are off sense.

BloodBag posted:

E: the drivers in Houston are so terrible that I'm about to sell my motorcycle. I just can't deal with the combination of way too many heavy trucks in all lanes all the time, and the complete psycho drivers.

I stopped riding because of this. Could be because Im older but in my ~20 years or street riding the size of vehicles and the distractedness/recklessness/selfishness of drivers really has gone up to the point where it's not worth it for me. I am in Austin and TX is one of the worst.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SlowBloke posted:

Any car with DRL i drove that wasn't Japanese had clear indication if the DRL, low or high beams were activated. My current jeep has an indicator on the dash and additional interior lighting (roof, sides and central cargo bin) turning on if the car switches from DRL to low beams, plus it's a stark visual change so you would need to be legally blind to not be aware of what's currently on. Also you cannot switch off drl without pulling fuses.

Like I said, my Golf has zero indication at all and the headlight switch is off to the side and hard to actually see without taking your eyes completely off the road.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

Like I said, my Golf has zero indication at all and the headlight switch is off to the side and hard to actually see without taking your eyes completely off the road.

A t-roc i got into had a giant "TURN THE LIGHTS ON" message on the dash along with bongs if the driver tried moving the car with the light stalk on the 0 position. I think no indication for lights is a US market item.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know by "bongs" you mean an audible chime, but I choose to believe the message on the dash is ":2bong: TURN THE LIGHTS ON :2bong:"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SlowBloke posted:

I think no indication for lights is a US market item.

Which again goes back to needing standardization and regulation around these things.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

And while we're at it ranting about lighting, ban combination brake light/turn indicators

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guinness posted:

And while we're at it ranting about lighting, ban combination brake light/turn indicators

Eurospec is the objectively superior specification. :colbert:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sab669 posted:

I know by "bongs" you mean an audible chime, but I choose to believe the message on the dash is ":2bong: TURN THE LIGHTS ON :2bong:"

It would make for cool traffic stops

:clint: "son why are you high as a kite?"
:catdrugs: "my man, the car is telling me to go full send"

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Its wild to get a rental car you actually really like driving, but then there is some 'feature' or design they choose to implement that makes you realize you would never buy said vehicle because of it.

This is me with the 2024 Volvo XC60 Recharge.
This thing is ridiculously quick. I love zipping around and taking off from a stop. Driving experience, top notch. I think this helps me realize my next purchase is a PHEV. If it was down to just driving, Id rent this vehicle again.... BUT THEN....

The loving infotainment is really bad.

1) The vehicle never auto connects to my phone. Each time I start the car it asks if I want to click to connect my device or click to connect to Bluetooth. Regardless that my phone is paired, it doesn't auto select or connect.
Each time I start out, i have to go to Bluetooth devices, look through 12 other old phones people already saved ages ago, then pick the Phone and Audio buttons next to my phone. Even then it doesnt auto start playing music. I have to take out my phone, launch Spotify etc to get going on music. Say I stop somewhere 5 minutes later and shut the vehicle off, I have to repeat the process mentioned above again.
2) It keeps yelling at me in the gauge cluster to allow location to be turned on to use Maps. I turn it on from settings, but it later turns it back off.

Why? I thought maybe it was my device so I was going to remove my phone and re-pair the device. Only I cant. There is no buttons or settings to remove a device.
I check the owners manual and see the following:

"Removing devices connected to Bluetooth"
Tap on. at the bottom of the display.
Press Connectivity.
Under Bluetooth, tap on the arrow after the phone's name.
Press Forget device. The phone is no longer registered to the car.

The catch is there is no arrow next to the phone name. I tried to remove my device, as well as one of the other 12 devices from previous renters. No dice.
I cant find anywhere in the menus to delete any of these profiles.
This is driving me crazy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

It would make for cool traffic stops

:clint: "son why are you high as a kite?"
:catdrugs: "my man, the car is telling me to go full send"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Turn it to on and leave it there forever

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

bull3964 posted:

Combine that with automatic headlights and things get even more confusing. Garages often turn automatic headlights off when they are working on a car to keep from blinding themselves.

My old Soul had lights that were a simple physical knob: turn it into the "on" position, and if the car is on, the lights are on. I did this once and never had to think about it again.

My newer Bronco Sport has a ~fancy digital knob~ that will reset itself to "auto-detect" every time I start the car, meaning I have to manually switch it to "on" if it's any brighter than full-on night.

:argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Turn it to on and leave it there forever

But that doesn't happen because any time my car goes in to get inspected or anything, they turn it off.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

But that doesn't happen because any time my car goes in to get inspected or anything, they turn it off.

Flash your car to eurospec light codes using obd along with eurospec light stalks if you want to make impossible to have no lights at all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Ok? How often is this happening to you lol

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It’s absolutely a personal issue, but I manually work the lights in my 86 because the automatic setting is one click past off and then the knob is offset on the stalk. It bothers the poo poo out of me.

Other gripes are with the wiper stalk. The rotary switch doesn’t have a fifth detent, so the trim never lines up properly. Plus, the variable speed indicator graphic is inverse to the set wiper speed.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

Its wild to get a rental car you actually really like driving, but then there is some 'feature' or design they choose to implement that makes you realize you would never buy said vehicle because of it.

This thing is ridiculously quick. I love zipping around and taking off from a stop. Driving experience, top notch. I think this helps me realize my next purchase is a PHEV. If it was down to just driving, Id rent this vehicle again.... BUT THEN....

The loving infotainment is really bad.
This is driving me crazy.

fwiw if you d/l the volvo app and register it's more seamless.
doesn't help anyone renting the car i know.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just wish there was some universal "your lights are off" signal you could send to cars

I try turning my lights completely off and on a couple times and the gray toyota in the rain with no lights at night thinks im the crazy one

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my e-golf only shows the symbol for drls on if I obd set it to europe, in north america setting it doesn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Ok? How often is this happening to you lol

SIgh.

It's not. I'm just pointing out that there are other reasons beyond "LOL person can't work their car" as to why you see people driving around without headlights. The way the automatic stuff works combined with modern interiors makes it way easier to unknowingly drive around without your headlights being on. The UX on modern cars is broken from the top down. They are poo poo at prioritizing information. They hide controls behind too many interactions. They don't automate the right stuff. Presentation and interaction is different between different manufacturers and even different models and trim within the same manufacturer. Most of these design decisions are being made by people completely unqualified to do so as they are more concerned with asthetics and branding than functionality and clarity.

All of that leads to sub-optimal control over multi-ton hunks of metal and increased driver confusion and distraction.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm lol because my (now 32 year old) Allante would give me "Headlamps Suggested" on its primitive 8-bit display if i had the automatic headlights off and dusk was approaching.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ll be sad if BMW ever changes from the knob on dash down and outside of the steering wheel for turning on lights. The only change in my F20 versus the E30 or E34 is an auto setting, which does change the dashboard backlighting depending on the headlight status.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

Just went through this looking at a 2016 Lexus RX350 today. Was a good deal and a decent car, but the interface was just so bad and lagy I was like gently caress this I'd rather just keep driving my Scion than deal with this poo poo on a daily basis :v:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Celexi posted:

my e-golf only shows the symbol for drls on if I obd set it to europe, in north america setting it doesn't.
It must be an American thing because all my Canadian Audis start beeping and display a “headlights not on” message if you put the car into drive with the headlights off when it’s dark outside.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think the MK7 Golf headlight indicator is that bad. It's a huge switch to the left of the dash that has indicators whether the light is on or not. I prefer it to the column type of headlight thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The best solution is what my focus does - if the headlights are off, the infotainment is eye-searingly bright.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

The best solution is what my focus does - if the headlights are off, the infotainment is eye-searingly bright.

People straight up drive at night like that thought. It's wild.

I think both my mk6 and mk7 golf/gti's did a thing where as it gets darker and your lights aren't on it dimmed the gauges or something along those lines? It made it obvious that you needed to turn them on. Both of my BMW's have auto headlights and a headlight indicator to show when they're on and I never touch the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Being amazed that people are oblivious to a dash light or even a blaring warning, let alone the outside world through the windshield, is so cute