Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

Fruit machine wife update. spOKE to debt advice charity today who ran a "soft credit check" on my adress and shes taken out another 20K in loans with Santander and Halifax (2 banks I have had no dealings with whatsover) in my name

Register with CIFAS if you haven't already! Organisations that are signed up to it (by no means all) will run extra ID checks. But it only lasts 2 years IIRC.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/

Will the charity help you take appropriate actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/lorrainemking/status/1769835176543060432

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Question IRL posted:

Is she still in the house? Have you been able to have a conversation with her about this?

I’ve left for now and come back to England. I’m consulting with debt management charities etc to try to untangle what’s gone on and how to clear my debts. I fear my time living in Northern Ireland is over. She can stay there and let her family pick up the pieces

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
speaking of

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/mar/19/cruel-remains-of-50-hares-and-birds-of-prey-dumped-outside-hampshire-shop

what the absolute gently caress is wrong with people

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Here Hare here.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Fucks sake. I really hope you can get some kind of resolution to this mess.

I still don't 'get' what the appeal of that poo poo is. Not in a rational beep boop way, I know they have some of the worst cunts on earth designing traps for human brains, but as someone who misspent my youth in pool halls putting money down on some of the stupidest poo poo on earth I have never seen the appeal of the online fruits. Completely lacking the social aspect of yelling at hot wheels cars going down an incline and along a bar.

Obviously it does work on some people though otherwise the dirty pricks wouldn't put so much effort into making them.

Why would people play slots when saltybet exists and you can hoot and holler with the detritus of the Internet like the audience in a cyber Circus Maximus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

what the absolute gently caress is wrong with people
People will bet on anything.

I no longer bet on anything even tangentially to do with dogs or horses because the entire thing is an animal rights nightmare that I want nothing to do with, but yeah there definitely are hare coursing odds books.

Just bet small amounts on sports and spend an hour and so shouting incomprehensibly at a television in your local if you really need to have a stake in a game imo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The only stuff I've ever won money on is shite like Oscars betting and FHMs Rear Of The Year (thank you Cheryl Cole for the 200 quid). Stick to what you know, (i.e. good butts) and treat that money as a loss. Or don't bet at all. Betting is for cunts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm just glad whatever makes gambling appealing doesn't seem to be in my brain.

loving shithouse industry it is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Now that AI is involved, I have no choice but to become a staunch royalist.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
I've had to give up on scratchers and lottery tickets, so I'm putting the money into premium bonds instead.
Still unlikely to win anything, but at least the money isn't just lost

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
chatgpt convincing people that "computer zoom in on that pixel" is something you can actually do now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Matinee posted:

Isn’t Thatcherism something that only works

Let me stop you right there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Why would people play slots when saltybet exists and you can hoot and holler with the detritus of the Internet like the audience in a cyber Circus Maximus.
Ah I completely forgot about that, time to waste some time

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Betting chat:

I sometimes get a 'lucky dip' for the lottery (national or euromillions), maybe 3 or 4 times a year. But I never choose numbers because I "know" the time I don't play the numbers will be the time they win big & I absolutely do not want to get sucked in to it.
When the lottery first started in the 90s, we had a syndicate at work, and after several years of paying in £52 each in a year and only getting net winnings of less than £10 each over the year, most of us wanted out but again we 'knew' the week we didn't play would be the week it would have won. When there was a quite big round of redundancies, we took that opportunity to dissolve the syndicate.

I think I might have done a sweepstake in the 80s in the office occasionally for the grand national or whatever. I do remember nearly getting sucked in around 1980 when I put £1 on Sea Pigeon at 25:1 antepost & paid tax of 9p with the bet (so winnings would be non-taxable) and winning £25. First time I ever went in a bookies.

Sea Pigeon - he's the gentleman in the dark brown suit.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 19, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Betting chat:

I sometimes get a 'lucky dip' for the lottery (national or euromillions), maybe 3 or 4 times a year. But I never choose numbers because I "know" the time I don't play the numbers will be the time they win big & I absolutely do not want to get sucked in to it.
When the lottery first started in the 90s, we had a syndicate at work, and after several years of paying in £52 each in a year and only getting net winnings of less than £10 each over the year, most of us wanted out but again we 'knew' the week we didn't play would be the week it would have won. When there was a quite big round of redundancies, we took that opportunity to dissolve the syndicate.

A "bet"ter idea is to collect an amount of money from everyone and on Friday hold a lottery for a bottle of booze bought with that. Much better likelihood of winning and lower price.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

When I lived in Chester I walked past the racecourse when the races were on once and realised even if I’d wanted to place a bet I would have been linguistically unable to do so, all the terms and jargon were so completely alien to me. Literally could not understand what the odds meant or who was supposed to win or what situation was supposed to happen, absolutely bewildering.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

When I lived in Chester I walked past the racecourse when the races were on once and realised even if I’d wanted to place a bet I would have been linguistically unable to do so, all the terms and jargon were so completely alien to me. Literally could not understand what the odds meant or who was supposed to win or what situation was supposed to happen, absolutely bewildering.

Have you seen all those cop/detective shows where the police person happens to be the daughter of a racecourse bookie & knows how to talk 'tic tac' because she learnt it at her daddy's knee?
I wouldn't have a clue either, not that I have any interest in horse races! We used to live not far from Chepstow Racecourse though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My grandad ran an illegal horse book in the 60s and has a monument to him at one of the national racecourses. I know all of the mint tic tacs.

Still managed to be less bollocks than all of the online fruit machines.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Never done a sports bet apart from a brief period when a friend convinced me to try matched betting, but that's some tedious poo poo that required way too much effort.

I do Eurovision bets each year, one for the early popular candidate and one for the song I want to win that never will.

I made a few hundred quid betting on Trump becoming president and Brexit on the assumption that the shittiest outcome was most likely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Illegal horse books are the ones where they show you the forbidden equestrianism. Riding the horse upside down, the dark ritual required to become a centaur, that sort of thing.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I made a few hundred quid betting on Trump becoming president and Brexit on the assumption that the shittiest outcome was most likely.

That's a decent idea as a form of consolation.

Only bet I ever did was as a group at the dog track, where we ended up for someone's stag do. The dog won, we let the stag keep the proceeds.

Shares and crypoocurrencies, however...

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Illegal horse books are the ones where they show you the forbidden equestrianism. Riding the horse upside down, the dark ritual required to become a centaur, that sort of thing.

This is true.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only thing it's ok to bet on is professional wrestling

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rarity posted:

The only thing it's ok to bet on is professional wrestling

didn't we already agree not to support cruelty on animals

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Forbidden harsies.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Forbidden harsies.

My theory is that baby centaurs aren't born with the human torso - they have a baby head sticking out of the horse body, and the human torso grows as the foal matures.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

My theory is that baby centaurs aren't born with the human torso - they have a baby head sticking out of the horse body, and the human torso grows as the foal matures.

It's like a testicle that ascends in puberty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"The Testicle Ascendent" is another good illegal book.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DreddyMatt posted:

I've had to give up on scratchers and lottery tickets, so I'm putting the money into premium bonds instead.
Still unlikely to win anything, but at least the money isn't just lost

Stopped the lottery when they put the price up to £2, got money in the PB as well nowadays.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I get one scratch card every month, because even winning a little would help a lot, and I like the opportunity to think about what money would help with

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What I do is put a little bit of money every month into a pension, on the gamble that I might be still alive later on

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
money question: does anyone have recommendations on what bank i should put savings in beyond just picking the highest interest rate off moneysavingexpert

e: i already have an ISA

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nuclear Spoon posted:

money question: does anyone have recommendations on what bank i should put savings in beyond just picking the highest interest rate off moneysavingexpert

e: i already have an ISA

Did you know there's a UK Personal Finance forum on here?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887120

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if you like to imagine all the arms dealing and cartel money laundering your money can achieve then I recommend HSBC

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68609361

quote:

How Kate body-double conspiracy theory spread on social media

"It's a body-double! There's no way that's Kate!"

The first video that popped up on my social media feed this morning featured an amateur sleuth promoting a false conspiracy theory that footage of the Princess of Wales at a farm shop with her husband, published by the Sun newspaper, was actually of a well-known professional impersonator.

There is no evidence to suggest this is the case. It's the latest example of false theories spreading on social media about the health of Catherine.

Do you hear that?!?! NO EVIDENCE!!!.... FALSE THEORIES!!!!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Microplastics posted:

What I do is put a little bit of money every month into a pension, on the gamble that I might be still alive later on

Already doing that. Got a bit set aside from my previous job and hoping I can build some up in the newer one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68609361

Do you hear that?!?! NO EVIDENCE!!!.... FALSE THEORIES!!!!

What do you expect from the bbc disinformation correspondent?