Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jerusalem posted:

Stuff like using the Force to block attacks or create distance from an opponent I thought was really neat, and far more interesting in that trailer. Ezra did something similar in Ahsoka, forgoing the return of his lightsaber when offered to continue to use that fighting technique, and I really liked that... and then like an episode later he makes a new lightsaber and just uses that to fight instead :sigh:

You should enjoy the fight choreography in this then,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB72G7JdW-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jehde posted:

It doesn't look as "different" of a world as I was kind of hoping for. It was probably the wrong thing to hope for, but I was hoping it would scratch the itch of the Tales of the Jedi comics that dealt with more desolate early civilization type worlds. I haven't touched any old republic stuff yet.

This isn't even "Old Republic", which is much older. This is "High Republic", which is set 500 years to 100 years before TPM. I think I read this is set near the end of the High Republic, so about 100 years before TPM. Yoda will be just around 780 years old or something like that, I guess?

Basically, this is supposed to be the Republic at its height, before it began the slow decent that lead to Palpatine wrecking it. The beginning of the end, as it were.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Trailer was alright. I like the squid games guy, so maybe I'm biased.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

M_Gargantua posted:

So many lightsabers. All of them bad CGI.

But lightsaber merch is the gravy train so that's all we're going to get.

I’m pretty sure ever since The Mandalorian they are now using practical props for the lightsabers, so no or very little CGI at all.

And yeah they don’t look good

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yoda will show up at the end like Luke did in the Mandalorian.

Still, trailer doesn’t really say anything but it looks vaguely amusing I guess.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Headland is giving out interviews about the show now, and she's said they left some nuggets in the season on the idea this doesn't have to be a one season show. That hopefully they might be able to go for a few more seasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Yoda will show up at the end like Luke did in the Mandalorian.

Still, trailer doesn’t really say anything but it looks vaguely amusing I guess.

The shiv vs. Force powers bar fight looks like it will probably be the highlight of the season, but that's about it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

This isn't even "Old Republic", which is much older. This is "High Republic", which is set 500 years to 100 years before TPM. I think I read this is set near the end of the High Republic, so about 100 years before TPM. Yoda will be just around 780 years old or something like that, I guess?

Basically, this is supposed to be the Republic at its height, before it began the slow decent that lead to Palpatine wrecking it. The beginning of the end, as it were.

Alright yeah that's a lot less exotic than I assumed it would be for some reason. Gimme proto jedi poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, that did nothing for me. It seemed about on par visually with Obi Wan. Who had a good trailer/teaser.

Well hang on; the cinematography is absolutely better than Obiwan. The real gripe is that they're mimicking the look of the two Abrams movies, which are not my cup of tea but... fine? I guess?

My main concern is that the "200 years ago" premise is very fertile ground for terrible ideas. Remember "Exegol"? I sure hope they don't!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All I want is a low-stakes show about a space cowboy who goes to space saloons and shoots space aliens for space money and spends it on upgrading his space hot rod.

Like Mando season 1, I guess, but without the Mandalorian culture baggage and without a kid.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just as a reminder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yh_6_zItPU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I don't really feel like Acolyte looks like Obi-Wan in trailer form at all. I'm sure I wrote something embarrassing pre-release about obi-wan but atleast in hindsight that obi trailer looks a lot like The Volume and its mostly close ups of characters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

At least Book of Boba Fett's trailer looked as appropriately boring as the show ultimately turned out to be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The showrunner is a big star wars fan and grew up on EU books, comics and games and straight up said she put EU stuff in the show and no one higher up has an issue with it.

If I have to guess it's probably mentioning Revan or Bane.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Easter egg youtube channels gonna be having some good times, hehe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

The showrunner is a big star wars fan and grew up on EU books, comics and games and straight up said she put EU stuff in the show and no one higher up has an issue with it.

If I have to guess it's probably mentioning Revan or Bane.

I think Revan got namedropped in one of the $500 worth of additional poo poo you had to buy to fully understand the story of The Rise of Skywalker, so Revan is already canon as far is Disney is concerned now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Revan got namedropped in one of the $500 worth of additional poo poo you had to buy to fully understand the story of The Rise of Skywalker, so Revan is already canon as far is Disney is concerned now.

God, I wish they hadn't cut the scene with Revan from Clone Wars, even if it didn't really make any sense.

The whole ban on ancient and/or evil force ghosts is such a stupid thing. Nobody cares that Qui-Gon invented being a ghost! It's dumb!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Begemot posted:

God, I wish they hadn't cut the scene with Revan from Clone Wars, even if it didn't really make any sense.

The whole ban on ancient and/or evil force ghosts is such a stupid thing. Nobody cares that Qui-Gon invented being a ghost! It's dumb!!

I think the main issue with evil Force ghosts is that it goes against the main idea behind the Dark Side vs. the Light Side. Followers of the Dark Side do everything they can to avoid death, cloning themselves, becoming old decrepit men, whatever it takes to keep themselves from dying. Followers of the Light Side embrace death when the time comes and become one with the Force, and because of that, become more powerful and can continue to communicate with the living after death (even if that last part only happened after Qui-Gon figured it out). Having Dark Side Force Ghosts would imply Dark Side followers who did the same thing that Qui-Gon did, and that feels a bit...off. When a Dark Side follower finally actually dies, they're dead. (Palpatine didn't actually die until TROS, turns out, as silly as that is, but he's now dead dead.)

But everything we're seeing on Bad Batch with Project Necromancer is Palpatine fighting against death with every resource available to him. He's terrified of losing his mortal body, to the point of setting up a back up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Evil Force Ghosts have been a thing in canon for awhile now. They're basically just damned or "stuck" to something or some place. No free roaming ala light side ghosts.

Momin being the most widely explored one so far. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darth_Momin

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Evil Force Ghosts have been a thing in canon for awhile now. They're basically just damned or "stuck" to something or some place. No free roaming ala light side ghosts.

Momin being the most widely explored one so far. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darth_Momin

I don't remember any other than Darth Bane in late Clone Wars, and that was basically a vision by Yoda and probably didn't really happen.

I admittedly haven't read many of the comics (which appears to be what your link is from), where they go a little more crazy with some things. (Not why I don't read them, I'm just saying.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Huh apparently they didn't use the volume at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

I think the main issue with evil Force ghosts is that it goes against the main idea behind the Dark Side vs. the Light Side. Followers of the Dark Side do everything they can to avoid death, cloning themselves, becoming old decrepit men, whatever it takes to keep themselves from dying. Followers of the Light Side embrace death when the time comes and become one with the Force, and because of that, become more powerful and can continue to communicate with the living after death (even if that last part only happened after Qui-Gon figured it out). Having Dark Side Force Ghosts would imply Dark Side followers who did the same thing that Qui-Gon did, and that feels a bit...off. When a Dark Side follower finally actually dies, they're dead. (Palpatine didn't actually die until TROS, turns out, as silly as that is, but he's now dead dead.)

I get what you're saying but I always thought the deal with Dark Side ghosts is they were not enjoying the experience at all which is why they continually try shenanigans.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

Huh apparently they didn't use the volume at all.

Good, because I usually watch with the volume turned low

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I don't remember any other than Darth Bane in late Clone Wars, and that was basically a vision by Yoda and probably didn't really happen.

I admittedly haven't read many of the comics (which appears to be what your link is from), where they go a little more crazy with some things. (Not why I don't read them, I'm just saying.)

Is Exar Kun forgotten so easily?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Servetus posted:

Is Exar Kun forgotten so easily?

Sorry, I meant in current canon. I, of course, remember Exar Kun. But I try to forget most things written by Kevin J. Anderson.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyways, I'm ready.
Maybe even by June I'll be able to watch TV on something other than my phone

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

I guess the main issue I have with this is I imagine a lack of tension from any scene where our girl meets a Jedi and busts out the sabre because they (along with anyone else present) have to die immediately before they can blab. The Jedi spend a thousand years thinking the Sith are gone so it's gotta be a murderfest where she's just disappearing corpse after corpse whenever anyone gets too close to realising.

It doesn't have to be the case that the Sith aren't discovered by that point. They might've emerged and then get quashed and covered up to try and maintain the unassailable appearance and honor of the Jedi.

There is definitely some lack of tension in that we know that at least the Jedi order remains 200 years after the series in all of their pride and hubris so it certainly wont be destroyed or even impugned all that much. Maybe their scale is reduced as a result. Maybe they're more insular. Who knows.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What happened to the sith, whose assassin we killed?
Top Jedi are working on it.
Who?
Top Jedi
*Cut to a sith saber being put into a crate and locked in the Jedi archives*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So we have destroyed a sith. But was it the master or the apprentice?

Eh he had some pretty sick moves he was probably the master. I'm gonna say problem solved on this one.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
great more jedi dressed like they are in a desert. 1000 years of the same outfight, never change star wars

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jedi should dress like they are at the beach

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

thrawn527 posted:

But everything we're seeing on Bad Batch with Project Necromancer is Palpatine fighting against death with every resource available to him. He's terrified of losing his mortal body, to the point of setting up a back up.

I think it would be easy to distinguish "I have become one with the Force but maintained a semblance of my personality so that I may grant wisdom to others like a bodhisattva" and "I am clinging to material existence unnaturally because of my incredible emotional attachment and will continue to corrupt others who are drawn to my power like moths to a flame". Like you could never kill a light-side force ghost, it's just conceptually impossible, but you could absolutely banish an dark side force revenant or whatever.

They're leaning in that direction with all the Night Sister stuff anyway, especially in the Ahsoka stuff. I guess it's just that there's an added physical aspect, you can either become a ghost, which is immaterial and therefore good, or become a zombie, which is material and therefore bad.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

No Luck Needed posted:

great more jedi dressed like they are in a desert. 1000 years of the same outfight, never change star wars

Those mfers should be dressed like court eunuchs. It's the high republic. Give them drip.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Well that looks amazing.
I've been fooled by far too many trailers to be as excited as I am about this one, but hot drat are you ever right.

Now, I'm grading on a curve here, because I'm loving done with Jedi for now, but if they're gonna' do it, and they are, I hope they do it well.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm going to hazard a guess that there will be time travel.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What makes you say that?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Because they'll find a way to shoehorn in the skywalker saga😭

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Because they'll find a way to shoehorn in the skywalker saga😭

I mean Yoda's probably gonna show up pointlessly. That ain't enough for ya?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Begemot posted:

That trailer was pretty good, and from what they've said about the premise it's more of a mystery story, which sounds a lot better than the aimless adventures of Obi Wan and Ahsoka. Also, since it's in the past, they probably won't get bogged down in references to the movies (they still will, somehow).

"Ah, Master Glup, I see you have one of the new R2 droids."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

1st AD posted:

I’m pretty sure ever since The Mandalorian they are now using practical props for the lightsabers, so no or very little CGI at all.

And yeah they don’t look good

As long as they not "Obi Wan in the quarry" bad. God that was loving trash.