Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wash bucket posted:

The AI nurses will conclude that direct medical care is unnecessary and/or not covered by your insurance.

It's this, AI will mostly be used to deny, delay, degrade, or block access to services you've already paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

While the above is of course just a performance art project trying to kill someone with an overdose of penicillin, GPT has actually been quite useful medical tool for me. It helps with checking medication/supplements interactions. It has also diagnosed a skin condition for someone I know which their lovely dermatologist couldn't(or didn't want) to figure out. You of course need to have an ironclad rule to never follow any medical advice/diagnosis it gives you unless it can provide a credible source for it. Only ever do what the credible source says.

It's an order of magnitude better than Dr. Google and used correctly it could cut down on doctor visits(but of course it's just gonna be used by hypochondriacs to self-diagnose with the bubonic plague and lupus and clog up the emergency rooms even more)

There's no way it can be worse than 99% of the ddx software out there.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Desert Bus posted:

Will the AI nurses be housed in robot bodies so they can lift/move patients and insert IV's and give injections and insert catheters and so forth? I'd hope so.

Thinkin' about Roujin Z and the metallic Toto diaper

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 19, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
AI poo poo is already loving up the Pain Management field already.

"The Pain Was Unbearable. So Why Did Doctors Turn Her Away?
A sweeping drug addiction risk algorithm has become central to how the US handles the opioid crisis. It may only be making the crisis worse."

https://www.wired.com/story/opioid-drug-addiction-algorithm-chronic-pain/

"And eventually she came upon an explanation that helped her understand what might have gone wrong: She had sick pets.

At the time of her hospitalization, Kathryn owned two flat-coated retrievers, Bear and Moose. Both were the kind of dog she preferred to adopt: older rescues with significant medical problems that other prospective owners might avoid. Moose had epilepsy and had required surgery on both his hind legs. He had also been abused as a puppy and had severe anxiety. Bear, too, suffered from anxiety.

The two canines had been prescribed opioids, benzodiazepines, and even barbiturates by their veterinarians. Prescriptions for animals are put under their owner's name. So to NarxCare, it apparently looked like Kathryn was seeing many doctors for different drugs, some at extremely high dosages. (Dogs can require large amounts of benzodiazepines due to metabolic factors.) "

When my cat had teeth removed she got ketamine and buprenorphine and while dying she was on buprenorphine and I didn't ask my Pain Mgmt for permission, but I still told them right away about both. I think my doctor is smart enough to check who the prescribing doc was and see how tiny the doses were and I don't know if they use any of these systems but I figured I should get in front of the issue before it popped up on my next visit.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna be brutally honest here: most Western countries(and China) are gonna reach a 1:1 ratio of retired and working people by ~2055. Unless you are rich there is just not going to be anyone around anymore to provide medical care for most people. So you either deal with the iPad chat bot doctor or you pick out a nice place at the garbage dump to lay down and die

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The chat bot does not actually provide medical care which undercuts your proposition

I guess that solves the too many old people issue in a round about way

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm gonna be brutally honest here: most Western countries(and China) are gonna reach a 1:1 ratio of retired and working people by ~2055. Unless you are rich there is just not going to be anyone around anymore to provide medical care for most people. So you either deal with the iPad chat bot doctor or you pick out a nice place at the garbage dump to lay down and die

At a high level, yeah, this will happen.

Climate change and the resultant famines however, will have an effect we both can and cannot predict regarding population distributions :nsa:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Will the AI nurses be housed in robot bodies so they can lift/move patients and insert IV's and give injections and insert catheters and so forth? I'd hope so.

Injections will be given by a series of clamps velcroed to a conveyer belt.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Don't be ridiculous. Minimum wage teenagers will be doing that with the instruction of the AI.

itll be gig economy but for hospitals

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Siri, ask Alexa for my medical records

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

I have already picked a nice place at the garbage dump to die. The garbage dump, of course, is ideology.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

All thr vending machines at work suck. The card readers never work and they want exact change. I'm writing a letter to congress.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No AI will ever learn to bitch as much or be entitled as much as a real nurse. Science can never replicate what they've already perfected.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No AI will ever learn to bitch as much or be entitled as much as a real nurse. Science can never replicate what they've already perfected.

Nurses will know their jobs are in trouble as soon as they teach an AI to chain smoke.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoBGau9623I

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was watching a weapons at war type program a few weeks ago and learned that they created a ballista using air pistons like 2,000 years ago or something. They weren't very reliable due to not being able to get a good seal but I thought that was really neat and your smoking machine reminded me of it!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was watching a weapons at war type program a few weeks ago and learned that they created a ballista using air pistons like 2,000 years ago or something. They weren't very reliable due to not being able to get a good seal but I thought that was really neat and your smoking machine reminded me of it!

You're thinking of the super soaker.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Salt Fish posted:

You're thinking of the super soaker.

Yeah it was either 2,000 or 30 years ago. I wasn't paying much attention.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

So you either deal with the iPad chat bot doctor or you pick out a nice place at the garbage dump to lay down and die

We’re already running option B on the homelessness problem. “gently caress off and die…somewhere else.”

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

UFOTacoMan posted:

this is more an iPhone thing but I really enjoy starting the car and with bluetooth selected on my receiver and my phone deciding it's going to play apple music or spotify instead of the podcast or audible book I was just listening to when turned the car off last.

Yeah this is my iPhone too. Random where it decides to pick up from in the car, and which app.

At one point, the only "albums" I had downloaded on my phone were a collection of Christmas carols, and some alarm clock sounds. The former started playing instead of the Podcasts app, and it was near Christmas so I just let it play. But it was a surreal experience

"...born is the kiiing of Iiiis-ra-eeeeeeel"
(pause)
HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Lewis and Clark had an air rifle they took on their expedition and used the fact that they could kill without smoke or fire as proof that they were awesome

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Lewis and Clark had an air rifle they took on their expedition and used the fact that they could kill without smoke or fire as proof that they were awesome

i learned this earlier this week from the audiobook of undaunted courage by stephen ambrose i am listening to in the libby app and i wanted to renew my loan for it today but it says it needs to reverify my library card and the the verification server isnt working so time to :filez: i guess

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

dreezy posted:

i learned this earlier this week from the audiobook of undaunted courage by stephen ambrose i am listening to in the libby app and i wanted to renew my loan for it today but it says it needs to reverify my library card and the the verification server isnt working so time to :filez: i guess

If Libby checkouts still sync with the PC Overdrive app, you can download audiobooks onto your PC, DRM free. I wouldn't count on that working for too much longer, if it still does.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
They changed an intersection near where I live to add a turn lane that no one actually uses, but many people mistake for the lane they want. There are no signs to indicate which lanes are for what.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bobstar posted:

Yeah this is my iPhone too. Random where it decides to pick up from in the car, and which app.

At one point, the only "albums" I had downloaded on my phone were a collection of Christmas carols, and some alarm clock sounds. The former started playing instead of the Podcasts app, and it was near Christmas so I just let it play. But it was a surreal experience

(pause)

Yeah my iphone likes to prefer the Music app above all others, but sometimes it continues from before if it hasn't been too long.

I only have one song loaded on my iphone because if I don't, the car isn't able to use the controls on the steering wheel for the music. It's the Windows 2000 startup sound and 2 minutes of dead air. I used to have music on there but it would autoplay the first track it found and that got old really really fast, so this one is aA_startup.mp3 with the title "Switch to other app"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Delivery times are like weeks now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Delivery times are like weeks now.

It's not just for me? Amazon Prime deliveries went from next day/2 day to 5 - 7 days now. Even for basic stuff with easy delivery addresses.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1770257471552074192

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What about the empty houses

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"You mean my investments?"

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Nice of them not to simply kill the homeless or buy them bus tickets to NYC I suppo- oh they're checking papers to make sure you're a serf with a job in the city.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I don't know if they got shittier because I've never had them before, but I got some Bose earbuds as a gift and the sound and noise cancelling are awesome, but the loving touch controls are so sensitive as to make them unusable. If so much as a strand of hair touches them, they pause or skip or switch modes. Forget wearing them under a hat in the winter. No way to turn the controls off either.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We switched to a new EHS software that had every opportunity to correct many of multitude of lovely things about the old EHS software but one thing remains true in both systems:

The poor bastard that enters an incident owns that incident forever. Never mind the fact that the people entering incidents are almost never, ever, responsible for closing out the action items resulting from an incident investigation. But even if a certain action item didn’t happen because director X wanted to stick it to director Y and it requires sign off from the North American president and the CFO, it’s the dumb gently caress night shift guys like me who get put on blast every week by the EHS software for ‘having open incidents’

This is probably more for the dumb poo poo at work thread but whatever.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

euphronius posted:

I connect my phone to rental cars 50+ times a year and they usually work but since you are normally always charging !! Your phone in a car it seems superfluous to a direct usb connection

For the life of me I couldn't get my wife nor my phone to connect to the hire car.
It turned out that the entertainment system can only store 5 or 10 phone pairings and it was full. (of course it doesn't tell you that, had to google it)
Deleted all the old pairings and it worked fine.

I wonder how many people hired the car before me and couldn't get it to work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Generally you shouldn’t connect your wife directly to the car, even if it isn’t a rental.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I laughed the most at how it just drops the butts on the floor, like a real smoker!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Salami Surgeon posted:

They changed an intersection near where I live to add a turn lane that no one actually uses, but many people mistake for the lane they want. There are no signs to indicate which lanes are for what.

The city did that to a busy intersection in town years ago when the Walmart moved, in a clumsy manner in which it isn't obvious at all which way goes forward and which ways turn until you're about ten feet from the intersection proper. And their road painting schedule is "whenever we feel like it" so most of the time this path is just a big blank sheet of asphalt where people go pretty much wherever the hell they feel like.

soupdragon
Dec 29, 2019
Don't know if this a new thing or not but I just noticed today. There was an 'ad' video sitting in my youtube subscription feed as a regular video thumbnail. I thought it was a glitch to begin with as I didn't recognise the channel name. As I hit reload I noticed the 'Sponsored' in red text under the thumbnail itself.

It didn't reappear again though, so I'm guessing it was a mistake or there was an issue with the deployment. Seems we have that nonsense to look forward to. Probably start out as one per page, then slowly ramp it up to every other thumbnail being a promotion.

Also I noticed a lot more of the adverts I'm getting served on YT videos lately are 'radio' style audio adverts with a static image (often capturing somebody in motion), not even a slideshow. I presume this is a money saving exercise. Subconsciously, I think the videos are frozen and they catch my attention, which is probably intentional.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Bobstar posted:

(pause)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

soupdragon posted:

Also I noticed a lot more of the adverts I'm getting served on YT videos lately are 'radio' style audio adverts with a static image (often capturing somebody in motion), not even a slideshow. I presume this is a money saving exercise. Subconsciously, I think the videos are frozen and they catch my attention, which is probably intentional.

I've seen these pop up on twitch too, I assume you're correct on it saving money and justified on the basis that so many people leave YT or streams or whatever just going in the background for noise rather than watching with their full attention.

I loving hate advertising, and I think the traditional hate lawyers get in the cultural consciousness should be shifted to marketing people.