Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that time she tried to retcon hermoine into being black lol
People forget because it's just been buried underneath all the TERF stuff but the public image of JK Rowling used to be "author who desperately needs to stop posting". Wizards teleporting their poo poo (not slang) was before the TERF era.

mycot has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

JK rowling, the whitest british woman ever: I never said Hermione wasnt black... maybe she is

can you imagine what she would have named an original black character if someone asked her on twitter like the jewish one

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

can you imagine what she would have named an original black character if someone asked her on twitter like the jewish one

she named a black character shacklebolt, OP

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Neeksy posted:

Harry Potter started out as a cute story for kids that was not equipped to tell a darker, deeper story, nor have its world thought about for too long. That final book was pretty bad, with a hilariously awful epilogue.

I remember reading the first 4 as a child and thinking they were fun and then the 5 one was dog poo poo and I never finished any more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LazyMaybe posted:

sad truth of SC is that it'll just eventually "finish" to some degree after many years and be just sort of mediocre instead of a flaming ball of drama and failure

Yeah, i don't think it's accurate any more to say there's nothing there, it's there it's just not very good.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Harry Potter started out as a cute story for kids that was not equipped to tell a darker, deeper story, nor have its world thought about for too long. That final book was pretty bad, with a hilariously awful epilogue.

this is like 90% of successful ya literature to be honest, because the first book is always the best and the success is totally unexpected.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
few know this but france actually builds all the roads they use for the tour de france every year. it is expensive

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

she named a black character shacklebolt, OP

loving lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the irish wizard that likes to blow things up

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

harry's korean waifu

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ok i genuinely remember very little about this series, is this one of those "post 1 true thing and 3 jokes" like is there an Italian wizard named Luigi Misteriosi too

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the antisemitic goblin caricatures practicing blood libel in hogwarts legacy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Bobsleigh and skeleton are cool as gently caress because tobogganing professionally is something that appeals to 8 year old me.

What I really want to see is the noma gt snow racer grand slalom at kitzbuhel

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ok i genuinely remember very little about this series, is this one of those "post 1 true thing and 3 jokes" like is there an Italian wizard named Luigi Misteriosi too

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Kingsley_Shacklebolt

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

padma and parvati patil. cho chang. anthony goldstein.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

also wizards taking huge dumps in public because they're too dumb to figure out plumbing, the world building is exquisite.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I like that she made asia's magic school in Japan, naming it "Magic Place" run through google translate and having it be the place for Chinese and Korean students study since they don't have their own schools.

She's just so good at research!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lol lolstein

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

padma and parvati patil. cho chang. anthony goldstein.

(DSP) cho chang!? cho chang? uwhahaha ching chang ching chong uwhahaha

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Harry has a slave, but it’s cool because he’s genetically predisposed to liking it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Neeksy posted:

I like that she made asia's magic school in Japan, naming it "Magic Place" run through google translate and having it be the place for Chinese and Korean students study.

She's just so good at research!

the entire continent of Africa only has one school

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the irish one blows stuff up and his name is seamus finnegan lmao

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TheMightyBoops posted:

Harry has a slave, but it’s cool because he’s genetically predisposed to liking it.

Also slaves wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they were free.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the entire continent of Africa only has one school

Its very big.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ira shillelagh mcsullivan

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

mycot posted:

Also slaves wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they were free.

Also the one person who notices how hosed things are and their subsequent campaign to change things is treated as a running gag for the whole series

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

He's also trying to water into alcohol at 11 the first time he blows something up by accident.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Harry Potter is dead! That's right, dead badly written

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i never read the books but the first time you see him in the movies he, a small child, is trying to turn water into rum and accidentally causes an explosion

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Alaois posted:

i never read the books but the first time you see him in the movies he, a small child, is trying to turn water into rum and accidentally causes an explosion

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lord this racism is killing me inside

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

lol that people base their weddings around these books.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Neeksy posted:

Also the one person who notices how hosed things are and their subsequent campaign to change things is treated as a running gag for the whole series

The entire series has this weird overarching theme where the establishment and government are acknowledged to be bad, but anyone who tries to change the status quo is shrill at best (Hermione) and evil at worst (the goblins). Hermione the annoying feminist protestor is a particularly strange joke because JKR's entire public identity before Twitter was being a girlboss feminist.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this poo poo is making my head spin lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a giant star of david in the goblin bank in the movies its an actual building in london but lol still

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a giant star of david in the goblin bank in the movies its an actual building in london but lol still

There is an entire real life recreation of the goblin bank in the Amusement Park, it's not just a weird brief moment in the first movie they are so proud of the goblin designs.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I like that she also thought to come up with charming slurs for non-magic users, people who should have magic but weren't born with it, and people born from non-magic families. Really adds to the worldbuildings and consistenffffff

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mycot posted:

The entire series has this weird overarching theme where the establishment and government are acknowledged to be bad, but anyone who tries to change the status quo is shrill at best (Hermione) and evil at worst (the goblins). Hermione the annoying feminist protestor is a particularly strange joke because JKR's entire public identity before Twitter was being a girlboss feminist.

it's amazing how much of that flew over my sister's head because really the appeal for her and her friends for a long time was the anglophone aesthetics + magical wizard life change. once she got older and started thinking a bit more rationally about the characters and the world that was built she dropped it like a hot rock and did something better with her life.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

JK rowling, the whitest british woman ever: I never said Hermione wasnt black... maybe she is

which makes it even funnier when Hermione tries to free the slave elf things and then they're all like "actually, these slaves like being slaves. you are a fool for trying to change this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pierre lafrogge, french wizard