Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I loved Fury Road so much and I trust George Miller, and even then I'm like "The gently caress??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It brings me no joy to say it, but it seems hard to argue that

Fury road : babe :: furiosa : babe pig in the city

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heat 2!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1770155153758327072

Heat 2!!!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I sort of feel like Mann probably would have preferred to do an unrelated awesome action movie but the studio mandated that it had to be a known IP.

Like, where else can you send the Heat story? It would make very little sense for almost any of the characters to show up again in a major way considering a bunch of them die in the first movie and for the ones that don't I'm sad to say that actors like Val Kilmer and Al Pacino are probably not in a state to be making intense action movies anymore. Maybe its a prequel with a totally new cast?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

No Mods No Masters posted:

It brings me no joy to say it, but it seems hard to argue that

Fury road : babe :: furiosa : babe pig in the city

So one of them is a beloved family film and its followup is a deranged yet bizarrely philosophical treatise on the nature of mortality in an uncaring world larger than our comprehension allows?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Whenever I'm eating a crunchwrap supreme I like to call it being deep into pre-production.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

khwarezm posted:

I sort of feel like Mann probably would have preferred to do an unrelated awesome action movie but the studio mandated that it had to be a known IP.

Like, where else can you send the Heat story? It would make very little sense for almost any of the characters to show up again in a major way considering a bunch of them die in the first movie and the ones that don't I'm sad to say that actors like Val Kilmer and Al Pacino are probably not in a state to be making intense action movies anymore.

He cared enough about heat to write the sequel as a book just a few years ago and go “golly I wish someone would give me enough money to turn this into a movie!”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc

Looks like more "shot on the volume" slop.

For a second, I thought they paid Meryl Streep to ham it up....wait that's Trinity? She looks old.

No, still no enough to make me watch Diswar garbage.

FX look iffy but I will try to stay optimistic.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 19, 2024

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gutcruncher posted:

He cared enough about heat to write the sequel as a book just a few years ago and go “golly I wish someone would give me enough money to turn this into a movie!”

Oh I had no idea, what happens in the book?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

khwarezm posted:

Oh I had no idea, what happens in the book?

What do I look like a fuckin nerd??

It’s available here though
https://a.co/d/hPBUJg5

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

that trailer genuinely reminds me of that fan film medley they threw together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8q1ENfWBA&t=1312s

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

austin butler uploaded videos of himself doing weapons training a few weeks ago and people were speculating he might be playing a young val kilmer for heat 2

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gutcruncher posted:

What do I look like a fuckin nerd??

It’s available here though
https://a.co/d/hPBUJg5

quote:

One day after the end of Heat, Chris Shiherlis (Val Kilmer) is holed up in Koreatown, wounded, half delirious, and desperately trying to escape LA. Hunting him is LAPD detective Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino). Hours earlier, Hanna killed Shiherlis’s brother in arms Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro) in a gunfight under the strobe lights at the foot of an LAX runway. Now Hanna’s determined to capture or kill Shiherlis, the last survivor of McCauley’s crew, before he ghosts out of the city.

In 1988, seven years earlier, McCauley, Shiherlis, and their highline crew are taking scores on the West Coast, the US-Mexican border, and now in Chicago. Driven, daring, they’re pulling in money and living vivid lives. And Chicago homicide detective Vincent Hanna—a man unreconciled with his history—is following his calling, the pursuit of armed and dangerous men into the dark and wild places, hunting an ultraviolent gang of home invaders.

Meanwhile, the fallout from McCauley’s scores and Hanna’s pursuit cause unexpected repercussions in a parallel narrative, driving through the years following Heat.

Heat 2 projects its dimensional and richly drawn men and women into whole new worlds—from the inner sanctums of rival crime syndicates in a South American free-trade zone to transnational criminal enterprises in Southeast Asia. The novel brings you intimately into these lives. In Michael Mann’s Heat universe, they will confront new adversaries in lethal circumstances beyond all boundaries.

Yeah if this is what they are going with then it will be a complete recasting. Not a bad thing necessarily, its nice when Hollywood actually tries to use young actors in stuff like this instead of dragging back people who should be in Old Folk's Homes for stuff like Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

stephenthinkpad posted:

...wait that's Trinity? She looks old.
yeah I woulda thought she'd be young. wtf

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Keanu Reeves getting more handsome as he ages is really screwing over his matrix costars

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRRzpJDDv4

What would you prefer, a Vader soundalike, a nine hundred year old James Earl Jones, or an AI generated voice like Kenobi.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed Matrix Revolutions and I loved that they set Trinity up as a suburban Mom and Neo as a disaffected programmer. And that they hit it off.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRkQCHt5QaU

gently caress that Star Wars noise here's more Tig Notaro Trek.

The show was getting better and listening to criticism but this trailer could act as an “Everything Wrong With Star Trek Discovery” YouTube essay without changing anything.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
oh I just noticed 4k80 was finally released last month

now I can watch all three and never need another star wars

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stink Billyums posted:

oh I just noticed 4k80 was finally released last month

now I can watch all three and never need another star wars

:bisonyes:

Thanks for letting me know! I'd been waiting for that for years.

I have the original trilogy on UHD and they look and sound incredible. Only downside is they're the special editions. But that's been my preferred way to watch those movies for the last couple years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1770182154871320900?t=GS-9zpjTISIRvDkypafN_A&s=19

Gonna call bullshit on some of those points. "Didn't use the Volume" is the new "all practical effects no CGI" catchphrase now that the Volume has gotten enough flak for people using it badly.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What was the god damned point of disowning all the wookiepedia wank with the "legends" rebranding if they're not going to delete any of it.

E. And why do I have to remind myself that I don't care about star wars :psyduck:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 19, 2024

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1770182154871320900?t=GS-9zpjTISIRvDkypafN_A&s=19

Gonna call bullshit on some of those points. "Didn't use the Volume" is the new "all practical effects no CGI" catchphrase now that the Volume has gotten enough flak for people using it badly.

-it’s like Andor!
-but it’s super lore heavy too!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Frank Oz being ancient and Tom Kane retired I wonder if they'll only limit themselves to one Yoda cameo.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

how do you hear the movie if it doesn't have volume

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Advertising the fact they didn't use that enormously expensive filming set they constructed for shows just like The Acolyte.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i wonder who is gonna fall for "narratively similar to andor" and think it means "well written" and not just "clueless execs and hack writers attribute andor's acclaim to some surface level bullshit they think they can copy to make lightning strike twice" and will complain when they watch every single episode of yet another fail upward screenwriter's first draft hodgepodge of tired tropes and references in the hope that it finally gets good at some point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

how do you hear the movie if it doesn't have volume

A mixture of THX, Skywalker Sound and Industrial Light and Magic.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

as a certified duncposter I feel a strong compulsion to combat the weak, fail, unbased star wars posting with beautiful posts about ecology and colonialism. but I realized, alas, star wars posters have created for themselves the fate they deserve.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
"Didn't use The Volume VFX at all during filming " reminds me of this thing I saw about that Gran Turismo movie: the director and marketing claimed the movie was all practical effects...despite there being photos of their greenscreen set up and before and after shots of when they CGI'd cars onto the track.

I wonder if a similar case might happen once the behind the scenes stuff comes out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kalel posted:

as a certified duncposter I feel a strong compulsion to combat the weak, fail, unbased star wars posting with beautiful posts about ecology and colonialism. but I realized, alas, star wars posters have created for themselves the fate they deserve.

Abomination!!

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
practical effects is when the tweet announcing they didnt use cgi gets more impressions than the callout tweet proving they totally did

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Over 3 and a half years since its announcement and all they could make were eight 30 minute episodes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic posted:

:bisonyes:

Thanks for letting me know! I'd been waiting for that for years.

I have the original trilogy on UHD and they look and sound incredible. Only downside is they're the special editions. But that's been my preferred way to watch those movies for the last couple years.

Yep it's how I've been introducing my kids to the series and it's been great. Although I did land on using the slightly less pure "D+" and "OTD" versions -- basically they borrow from the original "Despecialized" idea of using the newer masters for everything that didn't get messed with and switching to the restoration to replace the Lucas additions. But with more modern color grading and stuff widely available in the prosumer space these days, it's a much smoother process and you barely notice the switches.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I hadn't been following Star Wars closely for sometime I didn't know people had turned against "The Volume" (I didn't know it had a name).

khwarezm posted:

Ok, I want to be excited and I loved Fury Road, but this trailer has way too much extremely obvious looking CGI for me not to be very worried.

Maybe Anya should have just stuck to one desert-set sci fi epic this year.

You are correct there's far too much obvious CGI in there.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 19, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This 4k80 is for Empire only? What's the best fan edit version for Star Wars?

I apologize for more SW talk.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

stephenthinkpad posted:

Look for (this will blow your mind) Star Wars 4k77

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I hadn't been following Star Wars closely for sometime I didn't know people had turn against "The Volume" (I didn't know it had a name).

Yeah I remember that being talked up as a revolutionary step forward from greenscreens.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

stephenthinkpad posted:

4k80 is the final one completed, there's also 4k77 and 4k83. all are cleaned up scans from the original film reels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

Look for (this will blow your mind) Star Wars 4k77

Ohhhh, I thought 80 stands for refresh rate or something.