Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Funny how there’s a 50/50 chance between “do more quest to unlock the open world” and “do more quest to lock yourself out of the open world for the next 5 hours”

Still love the game don’t get me wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
are people really complaining about having to equip fire absorb materia for the fight against two enemies that throw fireballs at you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Funny how there’s a 50/50 chance between “do more quest to unlock the open world” and “do more quest to lock yourself out of the open world for the next 5 hours”

Still love the game don’t get me wrong

In general the game gives you a prompt when you're about to cross a point of no return (even a temporary one). Usually it'll have an "are you ready to proceed?" prompt. If you get one of those, assume you can't return for a little bit. If not, you can.

There are times it locks you into something without a warning but those moments usually don't last too long.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

are people really complaining about having to equip fire absorb materia for the fight against two enemies that throw fireballs at you

First flight blind: Yuffie destroys it with only weapon abilities
Second fight blind: Aerith gets smoked repeatedly
Exit all the way out of the fight menu
Go into main menu, change out multiple materia
Go back into the fight menu
Re-do second fight
Third fight blind: Barrett holds down square, wins

It's just kind of disconcerting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Aerith's fight there stands out as the only one that requires any sort of prep or special strategy at all. Everyone else can just blast through theirs.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Harrow posted:

Yeah Aerith's fight there stands out as the only one that requires any sort of prep or special strategy at all. Everyone else can just blast through theirs.

Yep. This was the only fight out of that whole sequence where I felt I was missing something and had to think. You can do it with wards and whatnot it’s just harder than the rest of them by a lot. I didn’t even think to do elemental armor I just banged my head against it a couple times until I figured out the right order of abilities.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aerith has a ward that blocks projectiles
That's all you need

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried that and they just moved around and shot me from the side

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Same lol

I also didn't have a level 2 elemental materia. The one I had at the time was still only level 1 so it couldn't really save me. Took a few tries on that fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried that and they just moved around and shot me from the side

You gotta put your back to the wall, smh

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tangential to the Actually Fascinating Reasons behind why people are Like This about putting Elemental on for that fight; are there multiple obtainable high level armours like the Cetran Bangle or the Hades Armlet kicking around or am I stuck distributing to the favoured few and putting like Enhanced Garm Bangles or whatever on the others?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fedule posted:

Tangential to the Actually Fascinating Reasons behind why people are Like This about putting Elemental on for that fight; are there multiple obtainable high level armours like the Cetran Bangle or the Hades Armlet kicking around or am I stuck distributing to the favoured few and putting like Enhanced Garm Bangles or whatever on the others?

AFAIK there's the Cetran Bracer and Armlet (the other two have no slots), the Hades Armlet, and the next best things are the Valkyrian Bangle and Celestial Bangle. Everyone else gets Enhanced Garm or maybe Enhanced Yggdrasil if extra slots are more important than defense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of armor I don’t understand the point of the lategame ones you can find with no materia slots for very slightly higher stats. Those were in the original game too but they had like double the stats of the version with slots, these have like 3 more defense.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
oh my loving god (ch 12 sidequest spoiler) they remixed Crazy Chocobo for Shinra Middle Manager's chocobo race. i am grinning all the way from ear to ear. loving fantastic

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Just reached chapter 12 and god drat is this game huge. I'm gonna be spending another 10 hours backtracking and finishing stuff.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

boy this chicken catching poo poo in gongaga is powerfully dumb huh

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Wamsutta posted:

the chickens broke me

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wamsutta posted:

Finish the quest, trust us.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Wamsutta posted:

:hmmwrong:

:henget:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

What am I missing with red anyway? I love him as a character but never want to control him it just feels like he doesn’t really do anything. His melee is short little swipes with a weird range of motion, Stardust Ray is one of the coolest abilities in the game, but his ATB builds up insanely slow. You’re just supposed to sit there and block? That’s super boring :-/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wamsutta posted:

What am I missing with red anyway? I love him as a character but never want to control him it just feels like he doesn’t really do anything. His melee is short little swipes with a weird range of motion, Stardust Ray is one of the coolest abilities in the game, but his ATB builds up insanely slow. You’re just supposed to sit there and block? That’s super boring :-/

I don't think you're missing anything, this is pretty much how I felt too. His blocking animation feels really bad too because the visual indicator is super subtle.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://i.imgur.com/EKGVFrM.mp4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

You want to be parrying/just blocking as often as possible and using his counterspin. He's supposed to be a character you play super aggressively and never stop attacking with because you can instantly transition into defense and even if you take damage it builds his Vengeance Gauge which lets him have better melee attacks or can be spent on insanely good moves.

If you're just sitting there blocking, yeah, he's going to kind of suck because you should be taking advantage of his defensive prowess to Always Be Attacks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I cannot stress enough how worth it the stupid chicken fishing quest is.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I cannot stress enough how worth it the stupid chicken fishing quest is.

It's so nice to see Red be a hero.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The chicken quest has an incredible payoff, and it's far from the most annoying mini game. It doesn't even have an unlocked time trial to wear out its welcome.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Something I initially missed with the chicken quest is that you don't have to wait for them to walk all the way back to their starting spot if you mess up, you just put the can away and throw it again and they'll regain interest from that point, so you only lose a little bit of time and progress.

The game doesn't tell you this and I only found out because I threw the can at the chicken after I messed up again on the second one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It took me far too long to realise that...

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Thundarr posted:

The chicken quest has an incredible payoff, and it's far from the most annoying mini game. It doesn't even have an unlocked time trial to wear out its welcome.

It should, and it should have 4 levels one for each chicken remaining

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that chicken quest is exactly as long and exactly as annoying as it needs to be to set up its punchline lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Something I initially missed with the chicken quest is that you don't have to wait for them to walk all the way back to their starting spot if you mess up, you just put the can away and throw it again and they'll regain interest from that point, so you only lose a little bit of time and progress.

The game doesn't tell you this and I only found out because I threw the can at the chicken after I messed up again on the second one.

Yeah, only figured out because I tried it out of boredom waiting for the second chicken to go back. Immeadiately accepted that I'm a tremendous dumbass.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Something I missed with the chicken quest until the replay is that on the last one that does the bullshit charging thing you can use the controller vibration to very reliably hit the prompt with the correct timing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

Use Chilling roar to double Vengeance build up and then spend that bar on great abilities like multi-haste, 1 bar Pray or damage with Crescent Claw. Or hell, just stay in vengeance to keep the best dodge in the game, an improved standard combo with strong atb gain and access to free mini-heals at any point.

He really shines in longer/harder fights where you can really get mileage out of Vengeance (and also you will probably want to be blocking a bunch in those anyway). Just an extremely versatile character.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was not expecting Barret to be my date lol. Time to go be bros.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thanks 4 tha red tips friends I’ll give him another look!

It’s legit hard locking down a primary party in this game I want to spend more time figuring out everyone and picking 3 can be rough.

My main appears to have become Cloud/Yuffie/Barrett though. Haven’t come up on anything I can’t beat with that team. Yuffie is probably the most fun character in the game for me, she has all kinds of offense on lock and her moveset looks badass. She’s a little annoying but that’s part of her charm lol

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Thundarr posted:

I was not expecting Barret to be my date lol. Time to go be bros.

Finally vindication for English speakers who want to date Barret

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

the best part of gongaga is you get to play queens blood against a chocobo who uses an all-bird-card deck. he's pretty good with it too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Thanks 4 tha red tips friends I’ll give him another look!

It’s legit hard locking down a primary party in this game I want to spend more time figuring out everyone and picking 3 can be rough.

My main appears to have become Cloud/Yuffie/Barrett though. Haven’t come up on anything I can’t beat with that team. Yuffie is probably the most fun character in the game for me, she has all kinds of offense on lock and her moveset looks badass. She’s a little annoying but that’s part of her charm lol

you want to use all of them and make sure to kit them out as if they're ready to jump into the fray at any moment. it'll save you a lot of grief in some later encounters

that being said, yuffie and barret are like blue jeans and chocolate, they go with anything

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I feel like I don’t understand the leveling system in this. Is the folios the only leveling where you actually pick things? Player level just affects base hp and sp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Talorat posted:

I feel like I don’t understand the leveling system in this. Is the folios the only leveling where you actually pick things? Player level just affects base hp and sp?

Weapon level also expands materia slots and whatever the bonus slots are called at the bottom.