Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Man I really just want the Illuminate to drop lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I love the new bug planet with the canyons. Feels super dramatic

yep it rules

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

yep it rules

What is the name?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Turin Turambar posted:

What is the name?

Fori Prime, I think.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I Really like the support pack but What I see ruin our runs most often is a charger no one can stop. Small arms can address any smaller enemies, but when a. Charger shows up you either kill it or you start a fighting retreat which is where things sometimes devolve into a running route with repeat deaths
I mean always look at what everyone is bringing and fill in the gaps. Expecting stratagems to deal with heavies at all times is a bad idea, someone should be packing an eat or a recoiless. And at higher levels I’d bring two.

I don’t even see chargers as a primary threat, they rarely kill me, their lot in life is to add complications to the field and they do it well.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Fori Prime, I think.

Yeah Fori Prime is the first planet we've gotten the tall mesas terrain, currently it's bugged out (:haw:) and you cant go there, even with the Major Order telling to and the linked planets being under SE control.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ninjewtsu posted:

i really don't understand why this is a thing
probably because of that scene in starship troopers where they shoot rockets at the big artillery bugs

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

big butts require big booms

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slyphic posted:

I just a strategem to exfiltrate samples mid match. Drop me down a light payload single launch sample rocket.

Or let me cash out rares for regulars, I'm fuckin' drowning in them.

I'm getting a little bored slumming in tier 4 blitz drops just grabbing (regular) samples and saving pubbies.

I've been doing 7s and averaging 20+ regular samples per mission. As long as your team is clearing the map vs. rushing objectives you end up with a ton of stuff.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Molrok posted:

Yeah Fori Prime is the first planet we've gotten the tall mesas terrain, currently it's bugged out (:haw:) and you cant go there, even with the Major Order telling to and the linked planets being under SE control.

The linked planets are Estanu and Crimsica, neither of which are under Super Earth control.

This major order is "You have three days to take five planets".

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Joel is sick of our poo poo.

I was wondering why the Scythe felt so much worse than the Sickle when it only has ~30% less dps, then realized "Rate of fire" is RPM, not RPS * 100 as I had been assuming, so it actually has less than half the damage of an otherwise very similar gun.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Molrok posted:

Fenrir III was actually the same tileset, just with a moondust aesthetic instead

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

it's tuesday, my dude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did a very nice chill lvl 3 sabotage mission with only one death and some samples which for me by myself is p good

And then the stupid steam update happened. I need a few more medals to get the last page booster maaaan

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Fenrir III was actually the same tileset, just with a moondust aesthetic instead

By the way, I think it's very smart they haven't made the environment some static/baked like in so many modern games, but as you say they can mix and match base geometry/layout with different (arid, ice, temperate, etc) biome aesthetic, which seems to be a collection of textures, decals, props, etc.

In fact they can mix and match all this:

map layout
environment type
time of day
weather condition
enemy type

So they have a good amount of permutations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ravendas posted:

I run heavy armor with explosion resist (versus bots) and they don't kill me too much.

Oneiros posted:

i think i own two heavy armours total because they're otherwise so lacklustre but i've been contemplating running it on bot missions

Reminder that even light armor with explosion resist will regularly let you live through robot rockets with about 20% life left. It also doesn't slow you down like heavy.

Sindai posted:

Joel is sick of our poo poo.

I was wondering why the Scythe felt so much worse than the Sickle when it only has ~30% less dps, then realized "Rate of fire" is RPM, not RPS * 100 as I had been assuming, so it actually has less than half the damage of an otherwise very similar gun.

Could be worse the new laser pistol has half of the Scythe DPS!

The Redeemer does 1100 DPS vs the Dagger at 150 DPS. The Dagger has to fire for 12.4 seconds to do the damage of one Redeemer magazine, and the Redeemer empties it's magazine in a hair under 1.7 seconds.

I mean really?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scorcher is my new main

I hate the close explosion damage but it can kill everything so it’s worth keeping

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

CelticPredator posted:

Scorcher is my new main

I hate the close explosion damage but it can kill everything so it’s worth keeping

Pretty much. It's a lot harder to use on the bugs because they are constantly in your poo poo but being able to blow a chargers back out relatively easily with a primary is pretty useful after the railgun change.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t really bring it for bugs. It’s def a robot killer for me all the way.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I love scorcher for bots, need to try the sickle but I imagine it's not nearly as fun as it is against bugs.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
scorcher is solid but i wish it had a few more rounds in the clip

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I've been unimpressed by the scorcher every time I try it. Damage doesn't feel high enough to justify its piss-poor ammo economy IMHO

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BitBasher posted:

The Redeemer does 1100 DPS vs the Dagger at 150 DPS. The Dagger has to fire for 12.4 seconds to do the damage of one Redeemer magazine, and the Redeemer empties it's magazine in a hair under 1.7 seconds.

I mean really?
Yeah, as soon as you actually consider/compare the real damage output of the continuous beam weapons it becomes immediately clear how dogshit they are. Laser cannon only escapes this fate due to combination of good pen and explosive tag, and it's still situational.

Feels like they strongly overvalue the benefit of "unlimited ammo". I think sickle is allowed to do real damage only because it has the windup time as a downside, which again they are overestimating the impact of(so it evens out). As for arc thrower, maybe they think the FF potential is a big deal.

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t really bring it for bugs. It’s def a robot killer for me all the way.
Scorcher is secretly an ok sidegrade vs bugs just due to how the explosive tag lets it pop nursery/bile spewers quickly. Not as good at that as GL/autocannon but good enough in a pinch.

johnny park posted:

I've been unimpressed by the scorcher every time I try it. Damage doesn't feel high enough to justify its piss-poor ammo economy IMHO
As said above, it's not about its raw damage output(which is a average). It's that the explosive tag lets it do good damage to some targets that otherwise have 90% damage resistance against primary weapons, and also the small splash lets you kill striders(the robot chicken walkers) from the front.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 19, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I love scorcher for bots, need to try the sickle but I imagine it's not nearly as fun as it is against bugs.
Sickle is actually pretty good against bots too because the negligible recoil makes it fairly easy to put a lethal burst into devastator heads. Can't deal with striders like the slugger/scorcher can but much more efficient at cutting down groups of troopers. Fairly balanced.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

As said above, it's not about its raw damage output(which is a average). It's that the explosive tag lets it do good damage to some targets that otherwise have 90% damage resistance against primary weapons, and also the small splash lets you kill striders(the robot chicken walkers) from the front.

I'm really glad more people are seeing it like this. The Scorcher doesn't necessarily win a DPS race against other weapons, but it can kill fuckin everything

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Insert name here posted:

Things will seem pretty samey because of the procgen algorithim probably needing relatively similar terrain assets to piece together, but Fori has things like cave tunnels through canyon walls that none of the other planets have had. It's definitely its own thing. Tien Quan or w/e was definitely just Fenrir, though.

Just from looking at the datamined planet banners there are actually a ton of variations in game or in the works, like the boreal forsts, weird fungus worlds and cities.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

The linked planets are Estanu and Crimsica, neither of which are under Super Earth control.

This major order is "You have three days to take five planets".

Oh! Well that explains that, cheers!

Insert name here posted:

I dont remember Fenir III having massive mesas on it, which Fori sports. (It did have extreme cliffs that broke pathways yeah)

Added lines on the minimap to highlight the terrain features that were 100% mesa, no helldivers allowed on that mission. And you can see a tunnel opening at between the golden POI light and the antenna.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arc thrower really clicked for me when I realized I don't need to fully charge it to fire every time. My fire rate is so much faster now.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The explosive damage is why my latest experimentation with the scorcher was vs bile spewers and let me tell you it does NOT kill them anywhere near fast enough

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Arc thrower really clicked for me when I realized I don't need to fully charge it to fire every time. My fire rate is so much faster now.

I just wish there were some sort of indicator as to when it was actually fireable

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saraiguma posted:

I just wish there were some sort of indicator as to when it was actually fireable

The first shot has to be fully charged; subsequent shots can fired about once per second.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

johnny park posted:

The explosive damage is why my latest experimentation with the scorcher was vs bile spewers and let me tell you it does NOT kill them anywhere near fast enough

go play bots.

I’m sick of bugs honestly

Bile spitters and nurse spitters can go to hell. They make the game incredibly unfun to play.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

BitBasher posted:

Reminder that even light armor with explosion resist will regularly let you live through robot rockets with about 20% life left. It also doesn't slow you down like heavy.

Could be worse the new laser pistol has half of the Scythe DPS!

I mean really?

One of the biggest balance mistakes is that the Redeemer is far and away the best sidearm. Nothing comes close. It's a straight upgrade from the pistol, the revolver takes forever to reload, and, as mentioned, the laser pistol does hardly any damage.

My suggestion would be to add a speed-loader to the revolver and make the Redeemer less accurate (or the starting pistol more accurate).

The good news is that I saw a leak that they're planning a pistol that shoots grenades. That should be interesting!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

William Bear posted:

One of the biggest balance mistakes is that the Redeemer is far and away the best sidearm. Nothing comes close. It's a straight upgrade from the pistol, the revolver takes forever to reload, and, as mentioned, the laser pistol does hardly any damage.

My suggestion would be to add a speed-loader to the revolver and make the Redeemer less accurate (or the starting pistol more accurate).

The good news is that I saw a leak that they're planning a pistol that shoots grenades. That should be interesting!

You are 100% right, and I'm assuming they think the Redeemer is balanced by the fact that the clip will become empty if you just think about it too hard, and very little reserve ammo. It kind of is? Man it runs out in nothing flat.

For giggles then if we compare the Dagger to the literal starter pistol we all start with for free, the Dagger has one sixth of the DPS off the top of my head. It's impressively bad. 900 vs 150

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Letting the Redeemer have a semi-auto mode was probably a mistake.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

BitBasher posted:

Honest question: is it worth it to take the explosive resist light armor - 50% explosive DR - when the extra padding one doubles your 'armor' stat presumably against every incoming attack?

You might say the explosive resist can reduce more damage in the long run, but in practice you're popping a stim after even rocket near misses so...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Nice, I need to start playing with it some more.

The Sickle is just so good. Between using an EAT and it I have essentially no ammo requirements at all besides grenades, which is handy both for my teammates and for if I die. Not having to worry about watching my ammo also makes it easier to lay down constant fire. Now I need to decide between a shield and rover, or play with the jetpack some more while it's free.

E: yeah the obvious way to make the redeemer a bit better is to lock it to full auto. At least then there might be a reason to use something else. (I still won't)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 20, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

raverrn posted:

Honest question: is it worth it to take the explosive resist light armor - 50% explosive DR - when the extra padding one doubles your 'armor' stat presumably against every incoming attack?

You might say the explosive resist can reduce more damage in the long run, but in practice you're popping a stim after even rocket near misses so...

I don't know because I don't have any light armor with the padded trait to try.

I know that when I take half damage because of the blast blast resistance I barely survive, so I'm assuming that with padded I wouldn't survive a direct hit at all.

I need to keep an eye out for it. I'm trying to collect a light suit with each of the traits. It seems like there are way more heavy and medium suits than light.

I keep the explosive resistance armor in because I can't tell you how many times I've been ragdolled away from grenades and strategems but lived to tell about it. I wear it because of my companions in democracy more than because of my enemies!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

raverrn posted:

However the armor stat works it doesn't seem linear. When people tested it they found 100 armor doesn't take half the damage 50 armor does. Same for 100 and 200. Instead, 200 takes about half the damage 50 does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unhappy Meal posted:

Letting the Redeemer have a semi-auto mode was probably a mistake.
I mean, you can just tap fire it. 2-3 bullets at a time will land accurately just fine. Full auto vs semi is usually barely different in games.

raverrn posted:

Not testing it right at this moment, but I don't think going from 50 to 100 armor actually reduces the damage you take by that much.