Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, EXP gets you character levels, character levels get you SP. SP passively levels your weapons and you can also spend SP on abilities from folios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Dumb question BC I haven't thought about or looked into this at all: Is weapon level xp independent of individual weapons? I would assume so but haven't given the levelling much thought

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Dumb question BC I haven't thought about or looked into this at all: Is weapon level xp independent of individual weapons? I would assume so but haven't given the levelling much thought

Yeah weapon level is shared across all your weapons.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

No, it's all the same. Only your skill proficiency is independent. You only have to use any given weapon as long as it takes to learn its skill and then you can switch to whichever one has the materia slots or weapon abilities you like best.

In practice that probably means either "one that has the most materia/linkedslots" or "one that has the highest attack damage" (except for Aerith who wants highest magic).

If Yuffie's Ninjitsu works off of magic stat I guess you can pump hers too?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I preferred the weapon upgrade system from Remake, except for how it was presented visually. The little galaxies were dumb. A simple checklist would have been better.

Also I discovered that you still get the effect of linked Elemental and Fire/Ice/Wind/Lightning Materia in your weapon even if you are in frog mode. Probably for your armor too.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
UGH I cheated the game and myself.

The last thing I did pre-date in chapter 12 was hard difficulty Fort Condor, so naturally I knocked the difficulty down to easy.

Then I had to have dinner and forgot when I came back. So I played through all of Musclehead Colloseum on easy, and only on the final round did it occur to me that something was up, because I minmaxed my equipment a ton. And I ain't repeating Loveless.

Oh well, there's always hard mode.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 20, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think you're missing anything, this is pretty much how I felt too. His blocking animation feels really bad too because the visual indicator is super subtle.

You get up in peoples' faces with Chilling Roar and block or use the blocking ATB ability when enemies are attacking, then do big DPS (or utility) once Vengeance is charged.

I don't particularly enjoy playing him, but he's very good.

(Also you obviously want the Steadfast Block materia on him for the ATB)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Aerith's VA Brianna White is streaming Rebirth right now: https://twitch.tv/thestrangerebel

Her playthrough of Remake melted even my cold shriveled heart.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Holy poo poo this Cait Sith box throwing "minigame" is absolutely wretched game play. There is no way this was play tested. It takes 4 button presses to throw, the moogle is insanely slow to walk around, the boxes are floaty and only vaguely follow the arc, and the "throw the box into the spinning red funnel" seems to be right on the edge of your throwing range. I got it but this whole section is just absolute trash tier gameplay. Ohh also he is the only character where if you sprint with R2 and run into something yoi loose all momentum and have to watch a 5 second animation of Cait Sith recovering. (Also I just don't like playing Cait Sith in combat very much).

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

Holy poo poo this Cait Sith box throwing "minigame" is absolutely wretched game play. There is no way this was play tested. It takes 4 button presses to throw, the moogle is insanely slow to walk around, the boxes are floaty and only vaguely follow the arc, and the "throw the box into the spinning red funnel" seems to be right on the edge of your throwing range. I got it but this whole section is just absolute trash tier gameplay. Ohh also he is the only character where if you sprint with R2 and run into something yoi loose all momentum and have to watch a 5 second animation of Cait Sith recovering. (Also I just don't like playing Cait Sith in combat very much).

I loved Cait Sith in the original, and I loved moogle knuckling nonstop in this game, but yea this was absolutely reprehensible design. The only reason it's better than gongaga is because it doesn't take as long. I guess nobody at SE felt empowered to say "actually this entire segment is worse than every ps1 game".

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Holy poo poo I’ve had my issues with the game but it’s been mostly my own fault. Now I’m getting heated because (final boss spoilers) I’m losing the dmg race at the 10% level before Sephiroth does octoslash vs cloud and aerith where it’s an instant kill if you gently caress up. and the screen keeps going to sephiroths smug loving grin before fading out to ‘retry battle’ and god damnit gently caress you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Holy poo poo I’ve had my issues with the game but it’s been mostly my own fault. Now I’m getting heated because (final boss spoilers) I’m losing the dmg race at the 10% level before Sephiroth does octoslash vs cloud and aerith where it’s an instant kill if you gently caress up. and the screen keeps going to sephiroths smug loving grin before fading out to ‘retry battle’ and god damnit gently caress you

he doesn't stop until he's staggered. either build up cloud and aerith's limits to level 3 and use fury brand to hit him with two finishing touches at once, or use focused thrust to drive up whatever's left of his stagger bar. the latter requires playing footsie with tempus finis so i never pulled it off

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to assume people are somehow misunderstanding the Cait Sith thing's controls if people are unironically going "This is unplayable the worst thing ever" and not like... a kind of boring minigame. I turned off the motion controls so maybe that contributes to it but I can't imagine going "This is worse than Bubsy 3D" unless something is deeply wrong with your controller.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I have to assume people are somehow misunderstanding the Cait Sith thing's controls if people are unironically going "This is unplayable the worst thing ever" and not like... a kind of boring minigame. I turned off the motion controls so maybe that contributes to it but I can't imagine going "This is worse than Bubsy 3D" unless something is deeply wrong with your controller.

people were complaining about the rocket league minigame in costa del sol being impossible. When I finally got to it, it was dead simple and I cleared the required stuff first try. i don't get a lot of the complaints about this game's minigames

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pulcinella posted:

and the "throw the box into the spinning red funnel" seems to be right on the edge of your throwing range.

This was me until I realized I needed to toss the crate into the funnel as it was passing by, not when it was stopped.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

biceps crimes posted:

people were complaining about the rocket league minigame in costa del sol being impossible. When I finally got to it, it was dead simple and I cleared the required stuff first try. i don't get a lot of the complaints about this game's minigames

Oh man that game was incredibly fun. I lost the first few times but once I got a handle on it I was rolling

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, I think "throw boxes at stuff" is an incredibly dull minigame and kind of sucks for what should have been one of the game's coolest areas. I'm not trying to defend it as secretly good, but it's mostly just because it's boring and uncreative.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah it is awful with motion controls, and just bad without them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, I think "throw boxes at stuff" is an incredibly dull minigame and kind of sucks for what should have been one of the game's coolest areas. I'm not trying to defend it as secretly good, but it's mostly just because it's boring and uncreative.

I half heartedly threw the boxes and moved on. It's not something I would ever try again lol. The only other one I don't enjoy doing is the moogles, but I've only failed once so I'm pretty whatever about them.

I've completed all the normal mode minigames and the vast majority are fun to play. I actually liked the rocket league one. QB is really fun and tbh super forgiving since you can quickly do-over if you make a mistake. Chocobo racing is really fun and I had a good time chilling out after work completing the side quests for it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Are they serious with this mushroom picking poo poo in Gongaga? Insanely cool soundtrack aside this region is just a two pack of rear end from start to finish good god

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I half heartedly threw the boxes and moved on. It's not something I would ever try again lol. The only other one I don't enjoy doing is the moogles, but I've only failed once so I'm pretty whatever about them.

I've completed all the normal mode minigames and the vast majority are fun to play. I actually liked the rocket league one. QB is really fun and tbh super forgiving since you can quickly do-over if you make a mistake. Chocobo racing is really fun and I had a good time chilling out after work completing the side quests for it.

If you want to do Johnny's stuff you do need to go back and do it once for that one random minigame on the elevator unfortunately but it is super easy to do anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

If you want to do Johnny's stuff you do need to go back and do it once for that one random minigame on the elevator unfortunately but it is super easy to do anyway.

There is absolutely no way I'll ever try to get all the Johnny bobbleheads.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I like the real minigames. The "puzzle" minigames like box throwing and pushing the mako vacuums are rear end.

Wamsutta posted:

Are they serious with this mushroom picking poo poo in Gongaga? Insanely cool soundtrack aside this region is just a two pack of rear end from start to finish good god

The pain of navigating Gongaga is what made me stop doing side content

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Just being repeatedly washed by any enemy encounter that involves one or more Gorgon Mane like I can’t even hit these things and their magic just annihilates me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

The boxing throwing is bad, yeah. The minigame part (on the elevator) is still super easy to complete in the time given, but it's very awkward.

Also the boxes seemingly hit lower than the hit indicators says they will.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
My partner really loves all the open world stuff so they played through Gongaga this even while I sat with them and the cats. Now we stopped tonight at the cave dungeon in Cosmo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

only if you didn't get it on the first try :smuggo:

(I still have to do it again for the hard mode playthrough anyway though)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Should I gently caress around in the Nibel region before or after I go to the reactor? Does it matter?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Should I gently caress around in the Nibel region before or after I go to the reactor? Does it matter?

It doesn't really matter as long as you've alread gotten your Fartcobo.

There's some items and poo poo you can get beforehand which are nice to have.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wish this game had a day/night cycle. The world looks really good at night, but most of the game takes place in the daytime.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
oh no I got the Aerith date, salt in the wound to my younger self, now that I'm older I must commit and see things through

I wished I didn't watch the Final Trailer for Rebirth because it had Implications :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay I got the buggy. Had a mostly great time during the last several sections (feeding the chocobo sucked but the Gold Saucer was amazing and the Barret/Dyne stuff was great and fighting Palmer in his stupid rear end robot was hilarious. Let's go back to Johnny in the desert and do this next step of his nonsense.

"Find SIX LIFESPRING WELLS in the corel region". Yuffie, i'm sorry buddy, I fear you shall never reach peak friendship because I can't do that poo poo a second time with the only different being I have to do SIX instead of 2.

I stopped doing the open world stuff after the grasslands because it's tedious garbage and I hated it, and I have been enjoying the game much more because of it. Only doing the green side quests. But this Yuffie quest for Costa Del Sol A) stars Johnny and B) has had me do some of the most tedious nonsense, and also won't mark on the map where the objectives are for each step. This last step was the last straw. I refuse. I want the game to progress. Johnny I hope your stupid inn collapses.

edit: Let me go do this other green sidequest. This one appears to be for Barret.

"Craft a bird trap, but you need a transmuter chip. You can ascertain the location of the transmuter chip through lifespring analysis"

Am I being pranked?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 20, 2024

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There's going to be more quests that require lifespring analysis later I'm sorry

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Don't do either of those amazing quests where you explore the world of ff7 with your friends, then. They're probably all lovely busywork.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Don't do either of those amazing quests where you explore the world of ff7 with your friends, then. They're probably all lovely busywork.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Lifesprings also give cool boss fights and are like the easiest things to find so I don't know why you wouldn't do them except out of spite against the open world

Wamsutta posted:

Just being repeatedly washed by any enemy encounter that involves one or more Gorgon Mane like I can’t even hit these things and their magic just annihilates me

Silence them.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 20, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Corel side quests want you to do World Intel so you have time to get acquainted with you new best pal Cait Sith

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blockhouse posted:

Lifesprings also give cool boss fights and are like the easiest things to find so I don't know why you wouldn't do them except out of spite against the open world

I'm also missing out on summons, but :shrug: the open world stuff does absolutely nothing for me even with the rewards. The main story stuff is (mostly) excellent and I have limited time to play anyway so I want to focus on that. The green quests are pretty hit and miss but I've enjoyed the characters stuff in them and they give relationship points. Chasing a dog while Barret has a crisis about being a good father is top tier content.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Corel side quests want you to do World Intel so you have time to get acquainted with you new best pal Cait Sith

Joke's on Chadley, I was all in on Cait Sith from the start

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Macaluso posted:

I'm also missing out on summons, but :shrug: the open world stuff does absolutely nothing for me even with the rewards. The main story stuff is (mostly) excellent and I have limited time to play anyway so I want to focus on that. The green quests are pretty hit and miss but I've enjoyed the characters stuff in them and they give relationship points. Chasing a dog while Barret has a crisis about being a good father is top tier content.

Joke's on Chadley, I was all in on Cait Sith from the start

I'd just grab a guide to where the summon scans are. Going to the summon spots is very quick and worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway I do feel for people who do not like collecting all them nodes because the game’s systems are pretty interconnected and World Intel gives you a lot of cool stuff that is fun to have access too or play around with. Ignoring buying materia from Chadley or side quests that require chips, the wellsprings give equipment upgrades, bonus bosses and unique accessories, summons are only half complete until you get all the shrines and protorelics are just a full game long side plot like Queens Blood. It’s basically just the fiends and moogles that aren’t anything major and the rare materia/sp boosts they can give are still nice to have.