Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

I’ve left for now and come back to England. I’m consulting with debt management charities etc to try to untangle what’s gone on and how to clear my debts. I fear my time living in Northern Ireland is over. She can stay there and let her family pick up the pieces

Oof, that's rough. It'll be a horrible, lengthy, bureaucratic pain to get all this sorted financially but you will get there in the end: you've done nothing wrong. Dealing with the fact that the person you trusted most has done this to you will be much harder. Sorry again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Nuclear Spoon posted:

money question: does anyone have recommendations on what bank i should put savings in beyond just picking the highest interest rate off moneysavingexpert

e: i already have an ISA

I do the "highest interest rate off MSE" thing - be prepared to move your money around every so often as interest rates change. I quite like the app-only ones like Zopa and Tandem but I only tried them in the first place because they were offering very competitive rates.

Think about how much you need to access the money and when - you can often get better rates if you accept restrictions like "can only withdraw 3 times a year" or "must give 30 days notice". If you're looking for long term (decade +) investment, consider putting it into stocks rather than cash.

Don't put more than 85k with a single bank (across all your accounts with them) because that's all the FSA guarantees you'll get back if it collapses.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Maugrim posted:

Don't put more than 85k with a single bank (across all your accounts with them) because that's all the FSA guarantees you'll get back if it collapses.

While this is true and easy to do, try not to get too hung up on having 90k in HSBC because if that bank collapses you're probably gonna have bigger problems than getting that 5k back

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
My best advice with savings is always read your terms and conditions, if you aren't sure remember to ask questions. When it comes to isas make sure you keep up to date with what the rules are.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

i unblurred "wills" and i'm near sure it's harvey atkin

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Quite frankly I consider myself to be doing well if I have 85 quid in my account, 85 grand is unimaginable.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Quite frankly I consider myself to be doing well if I have 85 quid in my account, 85 grand is unimaginable.

I've had people with a million pounds in an isa with us ring up. It blows my mind!
The amount of boomers who completely forgot about their 20 grand they had with us as if it was change down the back of a sofa is harder to swallow

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I've only ever bet on politics, if the odds are against whatever outcome I dont want. Figured if I have to endure a Trump election victory I may as well make some cash out of it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DiscoWitch posted:

I've had people with a million pounds in an isa with us ring up. It blows my mind!
The amount of boomers who completely forgot about their 20 grand they had with us as if it was change down the back of a sofa is harder to swallow

Tax free savings though have been around for 45+ years (was it SAYE? Then tessas then isas) so if you maxed out each year and got a decent interest rate that is potentially attainable. I do remember some scheme in the late 70s early 80s that I paid in to for 3 months then decided actually I couldn't afford it so cancelled it. (To be clear, I do not have a £million in isas, if I did I wouldn't be living in 26sqm flat!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm just a boy, standing in front of Joyce Messier on her yacht, asking if I can have some money.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm just a boy, standing in front of Joyce Messier on her yacht, asking if I can have some money.

Mr Everart is helping me find my gun!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yank here. I'm hearing 'stuff' about the Princess of Wales, but I haven't dived in to figure out what all the fuss is over. Can someone give me a tl;dr?

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
dead

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
She is alive and well, and happy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cimber posted:

Yank here. I'm hearing 'stuff' about the Princess of Wales, but I haven't dived in to figure out what all the fuss is over. Can someone give me a tl;dr?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

She's absolutely fine and so is everyone else here. I am saying this of my own free will.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Cimber posted:

The theory is that she is either dead or in a coma or disfigured because she was rushed to hospital in suspicious circumstances around Christmas and hasn't been seen since*

* and you should definitely disregard all those reports to the contrary, because if you squint the right way those pictures were all lookalikes or old photos or doctored photos

My take is there does seem to be something fishy going on but it's more likely to be related to the breakdown of their marriage than an attempted cover-up of her death or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cimber posted:

There is no real evidence of her continued existence since before christmas, no photos or anything. Royals have been kind of weird about the circumstances of her hospitalization and up until recently the papers were pointedly ignoring it, now mostly "oh yeah we all knew she was missing but here's this bigfoot video quality evidence that she's definitely out and about isn't that wonderful.

Combine that with the weirdness about the supposed recent photo of her being so doctored that it was rejected by a bunch of press agencies and it's all just weird. It's weird for a senior royal to just disappear without comment and the press is being weird about it too because they have the thing where they won't dare really criticize the royals and are generally very deferent to them in a way they aren't to any other public figure, hence the "isn't it great she is no longer completely missing like we haven't mentioned for the past few months" style coverage.

So the going theory is that wills murdered her and hid her under the patio and the clone they took out of the tube to replace her hasn't fully formed yet so they can't show it in public.

Or possibly more mundane suggestions but the general sticking point is that the palace and press are just being weird about it, in a way they aren't usually, so people want to know what they're trying to keep quiet. If you know how the royals normally work in the media it's fascinating because the relationship they have is unlike anything else really, they are generally always seen as much as possible to prove they're still alive and there's also the bizzare cult of positivity around them that you would normally expect about bloody kim jong il or something, dear monarch can never do anything wrong, is sure to conquer any disease, the heavens and seas part at his command, right up until he carks it.

So you combine those together and it creates an incredibly low trust environment for anybody who is even slightly critical about their media consumption re: the royals.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 20, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Maugrim posted:

I do the "highest interest rate off MSE" thing - be prepared to move your money around every so often as interest rates change. I quite like the app-only ones like Zopa and Tandem but I only tried them in the first place because they were offering very competitive rates.

Think about how much you need to access the money and when - you can often get better rates if you accept restrictions like "can only withdraw 3 times a year" or "must give 30 days notice". If you're looking for long term (decade +) investment, consider putting it into stocks rather than cash.

That seems... low. I guess the US is particularly good on insuring bank deposits? (guarantee is theoretically 250k, in practice virtually infinite but if you're in that sweet spot between a mere two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and a million or so, it's something you might consider thinking about)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but you guys also have the thing where someone can just ask the bank to give them all your money and the bank will do it. But also the bank can't just send money to people because you ask them to without charging you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Goatse James Bond posted:

if you're in that sweet spot between a mere two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and a million or so, it's something you might consider thinking about

ok will do

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Only bet I ever did was as a group at the dog track, where we ended up for someone's stag do. The dog won, we let the stag keep the proceeds.
lmao this reminded me the one time I did do a bet was at the dog track visiting my then-girlfriend’s family in Ireland, the 10-year-old child was ferrying bets and winnings back and forth and I put a couple of euro down “both ways” I think? I won five or ten euro and everyone was very impressed and I’m like, I dunno I just bet what the kid suggested

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Huh, interesting. So basically she might be having mental health, substance abuse issues or a medical problem like breast cancer and the Palace isn't saying much about it and everyone is flipping out?

What's going on with Charles, didn't he get diagnosed with cancer too?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

El Grillo posted:

Hello UKMT, anyone in here own an EV? I'm trying to work out whether Octopus or Ovo's ev tariffs are awful or not and my brain hurts. p.s. the energy prices regime in this country is so loving stupid

Starting off with a swift “Don’t buy a Tesla” that may also apply to others who dislike tactile stuff.

I am with Octopus and the answer is going to be based on how many miles you will do, if you have storage batteries, and how much usage you have at the moment.

I made myself a Jupyter Notebook for it because I’m a big nerd, but if you are able to shift the majority of your usage to the off peak time you are golden, if not it does depend on mileage and what your mpkwh is.

If you are getting batteries at some point then you can offload your usage off-peak.

Then there is Octopus Agile, which does it based on a schedule - now if you have solar panels and no battery this might work better for you and did for me, I lobbed my data through said python and it said I would save around £100/year compared to Octopus Go so I am looking to change that but not got round to it. If you have your usage data I can probably tidy up the script a bit.

Edit: Charles has butt cancer

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

oh and williams been bonking/being bonked by a lady that lives down the road for the last however many years who has god knows how many kids that are his cos her actual husband is a geriatric gay guy

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

With the Kate stuff, there was also princess Anne's husband sporting a black eye, William sporting bruises around his neck and William's good friend Thomas Kingston (husband of the daughter of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent) dying from a shotgun overdose to the head that all occured around the same time. William was noticeably absent at the memorial to his godfather the King of Greece a few days after the death, where he was due to give a reading.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 20, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cimber posted:

Huh, interesting. So basically she might be having mental health, substance abuse issues or a medical problem like breast cancer and the Palace isn't saying much about it and everyone is flipping out?

I mean they might be telling the truth but just in such a way that it really looks like they're trying to hide something.

We don't really have much way of knowing but generally the royals are just extremely sordid and mostly their image is upheld by an incredible level of client journalism from the british press and others, so it's ripe territory for conspiracy thinking if you're already predisposed to dislike the british press and the royals, both of which are sensible positions to hold.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

El Grillo posted:

Hello UKMT, anyone in here own an EV? I'm trying to work out whether Octopus or Ovo's ev tariffs are awful or not and my brain hurts. p.s. the energy prices regime in this country is so loving stupid

I don't know if it's a relevant thing for the UK but I have a friend who got a Chevrolet Bolt a bit ago after his car was totaled and he adores it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Starbucks posted:

Starting off with a swift “Don’t buy a Tesla” that may also apply to others who dislike tactile stuff.

I am with Octopus and the answer is going to be based on how many miles you will do, if you have storage batteries, and how much usage you have at the moment.

I made myself a Jupyter Notebook for it because I’m a big nerd, but if you are able to shift the majority of your usage to the off peak time you are golden, if not it does depend on mileage and what your mpkwh is.

If you are getting batteries at some point then you can offload your usage off-peak.

Then there is Octopus Agile, which does it based on a schedule - now if you have solar panels and no battery this might work better for you and did for me, I lobbed my data through said python and it said I would save around £100/year compared to Octopus Go so I am looking to change that but not got round to it. If you have your usage data I can probably tidy up the script a bit.

Edit: Charles has butt cancer

Octopus EV - I can't find it now but earlier today I happened to notice an article (regrettably I think it was one of those 'local newspaper' sites owned by Reach) saying there's some sort of car that had a software upgrade that can't do the tariff now. So if you've got one of those cars you better check it out. Sadly, as I am completely uninterested in cars other than a means of getting from A to B, I can't even begin to tell you what type of car it was though maybe it was a Jaguar.

Jupyter Notebook - ooh err missus - not heard of those before so just had to google.. am going to take a good look when I have some brain energy.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

fuctifino posted:

With the Kate stuff, there was also princess Anne's husband sporting a black eye, William sporting bruises around his neck and William's good friend Thomas Kingston (husband of the daughter of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent) dying from a shotgun overdose to the head that all occured around the same time. William was noticeably absent at the memorial to his godfather the King of Greece a few days after the death, where he was due to give a reading.

Liz sure held things together, didn't she.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The House of Windsor were all killed in a massacre reminiscent of the Nepalese royal family in 2001. As with Nepal this will eventually lead to our Maoist rebels coming to takeover the government

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Octopus EV - I can't find it now but earlier today I happened to notice an article (regrettably I think it was one of those 'local newspaper' sites owned by Reach) saying there's some sort of car that had a software upgrade that can't do the tariff now. So if you've got one of those cars you better check it out. Sadly, as I am completely uninterested in cars other than a means of getting from A to B, I can't even begin to tell you what type of car it was though maybe it was a Jaguar.

My brother has the mg ev and they said it was fine and now theyre saying its not. like a lot of this stuff its all up in the air most of the time cos no one knows wtf

It was Octopus intelligent go he was trying to use. and they said no, which would mean 4 hours rather than 6 cheap. But also it seemed you could just lie about the car and they wouldnt know?

It also depended on your charger but again, I dont see how you cant just lie about all this

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 20, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cimber posted:

She might be having a 'my husband got my former bestie Peggy up the duff and I've had a nervous breakdown' coupled with 'I don't want to play this game anymore despite being groomed for it since teenhood & formerly determined to be queen' type issue.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's pretty wild to think that in a couple of hundred years people will be calling these the Elizabethan times

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The last of the monarchs

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

She might be having a 'my husband got my former bestie Peggy up the duff and I've had a nervous breakdown' coupled with 'I don't want to play this game anymore despite being groomed for it since teenhood & formerly determined to be queen' type issue.

I can see why Harry got the gently caress outta dodge.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

It's pretty wild to think that in a couple of hundred years people will be calling these the Elizabethan times

LOL at the idea people will look back at this time and not call it something similar to The Anarchy or The Decline or maybe even The Farce

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

there wont be people, just teslas charging

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

even worse, these will be The Good Old Days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Ok, another question away from the latest season of The Crown.

How is it that you guys can't even know when your next election is going to be? Oh, it'll be sometime between now and Jan 25th....We dunno when exactly.

How much lead time do they need to give before the GE can be held? A week? A month?