Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Futzing around with 16mm microfilm panos.

No sprockets? No problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I have lurked this subforum off and on over the years and learned quite a bit. I bought several different vintage cameras to play with because of this thread. So, thank you guys.
I hope you can help ease my conscience over this.

Okay so a few years ago I found 2 disposable cameras sitting on top of my recycling bin right up near my garage. I thought "Okay a friend knows I love these things and put them there!" I asked. No one fessed up. The cameras have been used (shots taken). I thought "Oh, I'll bop down to the local camera shop and get them developed!" Then I remembered people are loving awful. What if there's Bad poo poo(tm) on them and then I'll get popped by the po-po. Fine, I'll develop them myself. I discovered CineStill (I KNOW NOW!). They have a all in one sorta developing thing that would make it easier for a newbie to try darkroom stuff. I sat on it for a while, then came back to this thread. Well, poo poo. I didn't know CineStill was, well, CineStill. I already have the stuff, I may as well use it, right? Then just never buy from them again (now that I know).

I'm overthinking all of this, right?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Yes you are overthinking it just develop the film and move on with your life

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

topenga posted:

I have lurked this subforum off and on over the years and learned quite a bit. I bought several different vintage cameras to play with because of this thread. So, thank you guys.
I hope you can help ease my conscience over this.

Okay so a few years ago I found 2 disposable cameras sitting on top of my recycling bin right up near my garage. I thought "Okay a friend knows I love these things and put them there!" I asked. No one fessed up. The cameras have been used (shots taken). I thought "Oh, I'll bop down to the local camera shop and get them developed!" Then I remembered people are loving awful. What if there's Bad poo poo(tm) on them and then I'll get popped by the po-po. Fine, I'll develop them myself. I discovered CineStill (I KNOW NOW!). They have a all in one sorta developing thing that would make it easier for a newbie to try darkroom stuff. I sat on it for a while, then came back to this thread. Well, poo poo. I didn't know CineStill was, well, CineStill. I already have the stuff, I may as well use it, right? Then just never buy from them again (now that I know).

I'm overthinking all of this, right?

Aside from the fact that you should just send the cameras in to get developed and stop worrying about it, you should probably also not overthink Cinestill. They hired an IP firm, the firm got a trademark that the USPTO probably shouldn't have given, but thats on the USPTO. Cinestill then sent a couple of letters to people saying "hey, we have a trademark on this". People went apeshit and said "Cinestill is suing everyone and causing community armageddon!". Cinestill did not, in fact, sue anyone, and if anything, all that really happened was a few other Kodak cinema film resellers got a bump in sales from the whole ordeal.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Just develop the film but then also start buying Vision 3 from somewhere if you want to shoot cine film because halation sucks and looks bad :colbert:

edit: i have been buying from https://www.atlantafilmco.com/ for a little while now and I believe they come out a couple bucks cheaper for film+dev than other sellers(I scan at home). I'm also a sucker for a nice label. I did a roll of their "Koji 125"(expired refrigerated Fuji cinema film) in Tucson that I'm pretty stoked for.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 13, 2024

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I haven't found cheaper developing than Dexter's Camera and Citizens Photo. Dexter's is probably the cheapest for a decent scan + develop. However I like Citizens a lot, they're local to me and I've had a lot of film developed with them with no development issues.

Also paying for scanning sucks. Plustek 8200s are like $400 on Amazon and give a very nice scan for 35mm, much better than whatever standard quality looks like at a normal lab. My scanners have paid for themselves many times over. I just don't mess around with developing because I'd rather not screw up my shots, and the prices at the two labs I mentioned are fairly competitive with self developing considering I don't have any of the equipment and self developing also takes time.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I will be bookmarking both of those places! I meant "cheapest by a couple bucks for ECN2 film+dev," though. My current cheapo C41/B&W mail-in, Reformed Film Lab in Florida, appears to be a dollar or so more expensive than the places you linked.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks, guys. :D

I don't know how I even go through a regular day sometimes with this overthinking poo poo.

I will definitely bookmark the suggestions.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'd just send them to a lab. They won't care what's on them and most likely it's just bad photos anyway.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Megabound posted:

I'd just send them to a lab. They won't care what's on them and most likely it's just bad photos anyway.

Honestly, I always wanted to try home developing, even as a kid.
I'll probably send one out and do the other at home.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The biggest limitation to using my 16mm Filmo 70 is the fact that 250 iso is wayyyy too sensitive to shoot in bright light and I haven't collected the right kit to standardise the filters etc. I'll pick up a 75mm Angenieux lens next so I can use the same 39mm as my 25mm f.095 (I think) and that'll give me 2 of the 3 lenses but I wish I could get 50-100 iso b/w 16mm film easily in Australia.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Youd be surprised how well 250d handles light. The ski video I posted was on 250d in bright sunlight and was probably 3 stops overexposed. I had to stop way down and thought it might still come back blown out but it turned out nicely. I took this guy's advice and have been overexposing my shots just a little by default and haven't been burned yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Nf-4zudEY

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
I've got some Vision 3 film being developed right now! Excited to see how they turn out. 50D, 200T and 500T. Apparently 250D is sold out everywhere according to the guy I was speaking to but it seems like in Atlanta at least they've got some. I'd love to try some.

I'd also like to start developing soon. I have a Plustek and it has earned it's keep by now.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

ooh man i am really thinking about getting one of the OM models. My heart is set on the 4 just because lizard brain is saying "newer=better" even though I know that's not true. The main draw is the dedicated hot shoe and shutter speeds doubling to 1/2000. The 2N looks way more affordable on ebay though... Post back when you've shot with it some please

It's not too shabby at all! I found it very easy to use, and most of the photos came ut great.

Portra 800:

UltraMax 400:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Wowwww I loving love all those. I'm a machinist by trade and I wish I was allowed to walk around our facility taking pictures but all of our stuff is controlled aerospace so pictures are verboten. I was out shooting today and was trying to find a way to get a decent vantage point of the cement plan out here but no luck. If you missed it, I did give in to my impulses and got myself an OM4 and a couple lenses!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

afen posted:

It's not too shabby at all! I found it very easy to use, and most of the photos came ut great.

Portra 800:

UltraMax 400:

I can smell these pictures.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

Wowwww I loving love all those. I'm a machinist by trade and I wish I was allowed to walk around our facility taking pictures but all of our stuff is controlled aerospace so pictures are verboten. I was out shooting today and was trying to find a way to get a decent vantage point of the cement plan out here but no luck. If you missed it, I did give in to my impulses and got myself an OM4 and a couple lenses!

There's probably a lot of great photo opportunities behind locked doors and NDAs!

I saw your new camera, what a beauty! I'm looking to get a couple of lenses for my camera as well, but the "special" ones are very pricy! I would love to get a 100mm f/2 for portraits, but I'm not shelling out 600$++ for one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Film friends, what’s your recommended camera shop in Los Angeles? I’m headed there in a bit with my ME Super and I’d like to check out some film-friendly shops, pick up some rolls and maybe peruse some K-Mount lenses or something

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

More of a store to visit if you get the chance, but the Leica LA store, obviously not a store for a spur-of-the moment lens purchase and I don't think they really care about selling film itself there (obviously they have some behind the counter) but it's their flagship store to oogle impossibly expensive cameras and has a really nice gallery on the 2nd story and a good book collection to buy from I believe.

[e] There are also obviously camera megastores like Samy's camera that are worth checking out. A fun novelty but on the miracle mile there's a now closed camera store that has a huge camera facade that is very LA if you are in that area, it was called the darkroom but its now some douchey event space so you cant go in.

Someone else might have better recommendations on niche cool film stores - I'm also interested to find some.

tuna fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 19, 2024

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

In Amsterdam, there's a very nice store called Foto Den Boer: https://www.fotodenboer.nl/

Their website is meh at best and the prices are high, but they have so many obscure types of film and chemicals, it's awesome.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Film friends, what’s your recommended camera shop in Los Angeles? I’m headed there in a bit with my ME Super and I’d like to check out some film-friendly shops, pick up some rolls and maybe peruse some K-Mount lenses or something

Samy’s and Freestyle Photo

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What would you all recommend for developing a roll of HP5+ with unknown exposure, been in camera for at least a decade, got fogged by opening the camera, and not stored in any good way? I've got access to HC110 dilution B and XTOL stock. Since it's a shared space with shared supplies I'm not sure I can dilute anything further but I could get something different.

E: there's no date on the roll, but it's probably from when I first got the camera from my grandfather. Also, it's an original Kodak Retina and holy poo poo it is so much more manual than my FM. Wind the film by hand, charge the shutter by hand, metering on your own, range finding on your own. Tiny-rear end viewfinder, too. I shot a full roll of HP5+ (36 exp) and I expect none of the pictures to have come out well.

carticket fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 19, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
edit since i'm jumping ahead in line: ^^ i don't really know anything about development but the thing I've always heard is if you're not sure about something, try stand developing overnight? Look up some recipes for the film. That'd be my best guess to get anything useful out of it.

SLR question. My new-to-me OM4 features a little diopter adjuster on the viewer that I have cranked as far as I can to make the focusing screen sharp to my eye. I have two lenses, a 50mm f1.4 and a 75-150 f4. My focusing screen is the horizontal split-prism type. This seems most noticeable on the 50mm, but I can actually focus *past* infinity. I just verified this since it's a clear day and the moon's up in the sky. "infinity" focused by eye seems to be about 2mm of rotation before the infinity stop. I am in the middle of my 2nd roll with this camera, I was planning on sending both out at the same time - I knew I should have listened to that voice in my head that said "shoot a test roll before you go and do anything valuable." Anyway, short of "getting those rolls developed," what can I do to make sure everything is fine and dandy, or make sure I do actually have to send it(or the lens) for an adjustment somewhere? Or am I freaking out over nothing?

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 20, 2024

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

carticket posted:

What would you all recommend for developing a roll of HP5+ with unknown exposure, been in camera for at least a decade, got fogged by opening the camera, and not stored in any good way? I've got access to HC110 dilution B and XTOL stock. Since it's a shared space with shared supplies I'm not sure I can dilute anything further but I could get something different.

E: there's no date on the roll, but it's probably from when I first got the camera from my grandfather. Also, it's an original Kodak Retina and holy poo poo it is so much more manual than my FM. Wind the film by hand, charge the shutter by hand, metering on your own, range finding on your own. Tiny-rear end viewfinder, too. I shot a full roll of HP5+ (36 exp) and I expect none of the pictures to have come out well.

Stand development in Rodinal will get you something. Mix 1:100, agitate for the first 30 seconds, then let it sit for an hour. You can give it another agitate at 30 minutes if you like.

Admiral Bosch posted:

SLR question. My new-to-me OM4 features a little diopter adjuster on the viewer that I have cranked as far as I can to make the focusing screen sharp to my eye. I have two lenses, a 50mm f1.4 and a 75-150 f4. My focusing screen is the horizontal split-diopter type. This seems most noticeable on the 50mm, but I can actually focus *past* infinity. I just verified this since it's a clear day and the moon's up in the sky. "infinity" focused by eye seems to be about 2mm of rotation before the infinity stop. I am in the middle of my 2nd roll with this camera, I was planning on sending both out at the same time - I knew I should have listened to that voice in my head that said "shoot a test roll before you go and do anything valuable." Anyway, short of "getting those rolls developed," what can I do to make sure everything is fine and dandy, or make sure I do actually have to send it(or the lens) for an adjustment somewhere? Or am I freaking out over nothing?

Either the focusing screen is not on plane or the lens is just focusing past infinity. If the focusing screen is in plane and it's just the lens then there will be no issues with your focus as what you see is what you'll get.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Megabound posted:

Either the focusing screen is not on plane or the lens is just focusing past infinity. If the focusing screen is in plane and it's just the lens then there will be no issues with your focus as what you see is what you'll get.

Hmmmmmmmmrmrmmmm. Okay. I will just have to wait and see, I guess, I don't exactly know what I'm looking for but nothing inside the camera looks hosed up. There's one or two places local to me that I could take it to once I finish this roll. In the meantime here are some pictures from a friend's birthday weekend(i didn't do any touchups in LR other than cropping since these were all just for fun).

February 2024 Josh Birthday 12-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

February 2024 Josh Birthday 58-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

February 2024 Josh Birthday 71-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

February 2024 Josh Birthday 37-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 20, 2024

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Megabound posted:

Stand development in Rodinal will get you something. Mix 1:100, agitate for the first 30 seconds, then let it sit for an hour. You can give it another agitate at 30 minutes if you like.

Any suggestions for getting Rodinal in the US in under a week? Might be pushing it and maybe that roll will have to wait for the next batch. The shop might actually have some Rodinal on hand with the darkroom chemicals, but I'm waiting to hear back.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Check out the same stuff under different brand names like Adonal, R09 etc.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

carticket posted:

Any suggestions for getting Rodinal in the US in under a week? Might be pushing it and maybe that roll will have to wait for the next batch. The shop might actually have some Rodinal on hand with the darkroom chemicals, but I'm waiting to hear back.

https://www.freestylephoto.com/12054-Adox-Rodinal-Film-Developer-500-ml

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I actually would stand develop in your HC-110 and not Rodinal, HC-110 suppresses fog. Dilute it 1:120, 3 inversions, tap the tank hard to get bubbles out, and leave it for an hour.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, heard back and they have both Rodinal and the HC110. If HC110 suppresses fog, it's probably the better choice since the camera was opened.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got a Pentax Spotmatic F somewhere years back and never really shot it (I think I acquired my Yashica TLR at the same time and got hooked on 120). I took it with on a weekend trip to Monterey, though, and goddamn I don't know why I was neglecting this thing. I shot a roll doing Sunny 16 and it's just a joy to use. Apparently they did a good job on the metering circuit too so it'll work with modern alkaline 625 batteries? I'll find out soon.

I've got a 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar lens on it, which is kinda all I've ever shot on a 35mm. I'm thinking I'd like to get a couple more primes, what would you guys start with?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I usually carry a 58, 45 and a 28. Covers everything I need day to day

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I use my 50mm 99% of the time but I think I'd like to try a 35mm or 40mm. I have a 28mm and it's almost too wide for the shooting I do, yet the 50mm is a touch too narrow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s on my list to buy, but Pentax’s 28mm M lens is apparently awesome

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
If you have the cash to drop, voigtlander made a few modern lenses for pentax mount and the 40mm f2 is incredible.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It’s on my list to buy, but Pentax’s 28mm M lens is apparently awesome

The f/2.8 goes for a lot more money, but I've been happy with my M28 f/3.5 as the main prime on my crop-sensor K-x, it's close enough to the M50 f/2 on my 35mm film bodies that they both feel natural to switch between.

e: Forgot which thread I was in, but I love it for landscape photos on the film bodies too, if I'm planning a drive with photo spots I'll usually bring the 28mm, 50mm, and my Vivitar Series 1 70-200 and then the K-x and a K-mount film body.

klezmer life yo fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 22, 2024

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

yeah I've got the takumar 28mm 3.5 and it's great

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

field balm posted:

yeah I've got the takumar 28mm 3.5 and it's great

Looks like I can pick one up on ebay for about $60 which is pretty tempting. 58 and 45 seem so drat close to 50, I'd rather go a little further afield.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Someone I know is on vacation in Japan, and they're bringing home a couple of these bad boys for me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh, I finally got around to finishing out a test roll in the thrift shop XA2 I bought like 5 years ago... it was really hard to rewind and it was so noisy I was certain it was just tearing up the film inside, but when I developed the roll it was just fine, no apparent scratches, no mangling on the sprocket holes. Any ideas what might have been going on? It sounded so nasty I'm hesitant to run another roll through, but I just can't find anything that seems broken or dirty.