Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'd guess it's that Artis Opus style stippling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

armorer posted:

I don't need the brushes, I have quite a few already. What I liked about the kit I went through already is that it gives good color recipes for different sections of the models, and it presents it all in a really cohesive way. It has you paint fabric, leather, chainmail, a few different skin tones, a blade, etc and walks you through which paints work well together as base/shadow/highlight.

So yeah, I like the preconstructed triads and the guidance on the specific minis that ship with the kit. I think once I've painted more models I'll be happy to break loose and just start painting the other minis I have with the paints I will have accumulated by that point.

You can get about half that, ultimately. I'd do a search for Youtube videos on how to paint a particular model or type of model you're enamored of, but beyond that, there's not a lot of sets out there where you open the box and it gives you kind of a paint-by-numbers thing for the model within.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cannibal Smiley posted:

I'm stumped as to how the original artist painted these. There's obviously layers of red and purple in there, possibly contrast paint washes, but I'm stumped as to how he got the texture the way that he did. I thought initially that it was drybrushing, but I wasn't able to replicate it by using a makeup brush and very little paint. Anybody else have an idea of how these were painted?

Reminds me of my Tyranids except you know, they're better

Which was done with Artis Opus stippling.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

grassy gnoll posted:

You can get about half that, ultimately. I'd do a search for Youtube videos on how to paint a particular model or type of model you're enamored of, but beyond that, there's not a lot of sets out there where you open the box and it gives you kind of a paint-by-numbers thing for the model within.

Ultimately that makes sense, I would imagine the vast majority of painters just want some new paint, or some new mini. In my case I'm just trying to get comfortable painting these things so the kits are a super easy way to get moving. Once I've painted more miniatures I'm sure I'll be more comfortable making my own plan of attack to paint, say, the aliens from Nemesis, or a few of my available Gloomhaven characters. I'm sure there are videos on youtube for painting those specific miniatures as well, given the widespread popularity of both games.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

quote:

I'd guess it's that Artis Opus style stippling.

quote:

Reminds me of my Tyranids except you know, they're better

I think that I have my answer. Thanks for the help! Now I just have to chop up some brushes for stippling work.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cannibal Smiley posted:

I think that I have my answer. Thanks for the help! Now I just have to chop up some brushes for stippling work.

you really don't need to murder a brush to get that effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkJH8G-5GE

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The beat-up synthetic fiber brush that you use for stippling or as a spatula seems like the hobby equivalent of your old pair of jeans with all the holes, where it's just something you've had for ages and you're not fully cognizant of where the thing came from at this point, but you'd never willingly part with it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Go to the dollar store and get some small makeup brushes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Michael's stencil brushes are pretty good for stippling as well!

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
I'm starting my first attempt at really strong OSL and I'd like to get a more exact idea of where the light is hitting than eyeballing it. Does anybody know of any easy-ish way to do that with software? Or have general advice? My thought if software doesn't exist was to use a bunch of straightened tiny paperclips and sticky tack to physically map out the edges of the light and take a few reference pictures.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I'm starting my first attempt at really strong OSL and I'd like to get a more exact idea of where the light is hitting than eyeballing it. Does anybody know of any easy-ish way to do that with software? Or have general advice? My thought if software doesn't exist was to use a bunch of straightened tiny paperclips and sticky tack to physically map out the edges of the light and take a few reference pictures.

Not sure if this will answer your question exactly (well, certainly not the software part) but I found this video really really useful for some stuff about OSL I had never considered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kICVG3b0MGE

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Crossposting from the conversion and kitbash thread.

Need to sort a proper base for him, I just put him on a tiny one so I could use the handle. Drakenhof Nightshade is such a delight, kind of why I made this was because I like it for Vampire skin.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slowly plugging away at these lads. It's nothing special but I just have fun looking at them, also pleasantly surprised at how well they rank up.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lostconfused posted:

Slowly plugging away at these lads. It's nothing special but I just have fun looking at them, also pleasantly surprised at how well they rank up.

That's because green is best.

On a related note I'm still impressed at just how spot on the Dawn of War voice acting was for the Orks (and everything else really). I'm pretty sure that like 20 years later my internal reading of anything Warhammer 40k related is still in the Dawn of War voices.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mercurius posted:

That's because green is best.

On a related note I'm still impressed at just how spot on the Dawn of War voice acting was for the Orks (and everything else really). I'm pretty sure that like 20 years later my internal reading of anything Warhammer 40k related is still in the Dawn of War voices.

Me, stepping on a bug: "THEY CALL ME STOMPY!"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Radiation Cow posted:

Well, at least you're set for paints for forever. I'm curious about your thoughts, people seem generally positive about the range, but it's hard to tell how much of that is hype and how much is actual quality.

Finished my first model with them:

I'm mostly satisfied with the paints.
Whites ended up bit chalky, but that is mostly me not thinning down them enough.
I was painting it over red and was bit too impatient...
I'm used to mixing my own highlights, so using triads feel bit like cheating.

Horse, metals and browns are speedpaint, rest AP-fanatics.
The other horse is just speed-paint (that is going to be overpainted) + the 2 thinned coats of Daemonic Yellow on the shields.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Load the STL into blender and put a light at the lightsource. But honestly, just eyeball it. It's art, not science! And your eyeballs are actually really good at it anyway if you trust them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Turn the lights off, put a small light exactly where you want the light source to be, take a picture of the model for reference

If you want to nerd it up with CAD sure go ahead

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think I'm done with the main part of Leman Russ so here's some WIP shots of the progress last night where I finally painted the head. The armor was so much edge highlighting that I will never be scared by it again. Now to tackle the scenic base

I didn't have the exact colors I wanted for the hair and face so I got a little artsy by mixing stuff together. It was really fun to just say gently caress it and mix things together by eye. Now that I'm seeing this I forgot to highlight the bone tassel in his hair but that's an easy fix

Buying a larger wet palette really came in handy for this. Oddly enough, the trick to painting blonde hair is to use a gold nmm color progression

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 19, 2024

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oddly enough, the trick to painting blonde hair is to use a gold nmm color progression

Yeah I was watching a Vince V video the other day and he goes "blonde hair doesn't have much yellow in it" and it was such a game changer having that pointed out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah I was watching a Vince V video the other day and he goes "blonde hair doesn't have much yellow in it" and it was such a game changer having that pointed out.

After a little tinkering I was like "oh yeah duh" and then ended up mixing yellow into a golden brown and then mixing ice yellow into that mixture. I did some last highlights with ice yellow but it felt too valley girl so I toned it back down with a thin glaze of the previous highlight

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Let's see if I can get this right: Some Ulthwe Falcons I just finished last night:

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 19, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

He doesn't have any hair, how the gently caress would he know?

Seriously though, good tip.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I was painting my way through my stealer cult befor 10th/Leviathan dropped and distracted me painting that up and sorting the rest of my armies for 10th edition. I got back to them and painted up some bikers, their alphus and some little guys

I then immediately got distracted painting more Leviathan nids :v:

The second screamer killer was an attempt to make it different to the base leviathan one, the arms are all swapped around and the carapace plate added to the head. I didn't realise until I was painting it that the arms are different on top and bottom but got lucky in matching them all anyway.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
gsc always deserve a Hell Yeag

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Well, the theory is there, but I shouldn't have bought boar-hair stenciling brushes. They had some plastic ones that look a lot more forgiving.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone tried Newsh medium? Looks like an interesting sidegrade instead of oil washes. maybe just enough differences that the two could be used together for the best properties of each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqThV2Q1EG0

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Speaking of Monument hobbies, it actually looks like they’re debuting 3 new sets at Adepticon:

A gold NMM set

Rogue Hobbies’ punch you in the face bright colours set

& an adepticon branded set with a bunch of awesome browns, oxides and holy poo poo, I can’t believe they actually did it, finally, a somewhat satin black.

Now all I need to do is check how much a round trip plane ticket from Melbourne Australia to Chicago is and-

:smith:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Yeast posted:

Speaking of Monument hobbies, it actually looks like they’re debuting 3 new sets at Adepticon:

A gold NMM set

& an adepticon branded set with a bunch of awesome browns, oxides and holy poo poo, I can’t believe they actually did it, finally, a somewhat satin black.

Now all I need to do is check how much a round trip plane ticket from Melbourne Australia to Chicago is and-

If it helps Chicago is awesome in itself.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeast posted:

A gold NMM set

They've said they'll be added to the regular range so just need a bit of patience! very excited about them!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Paragon8 posted:

They've said they'll be added to the regular range so just need a bit of patience! very excited about them!

Just imagine I’m Veruca Salt with a paintbrush

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my Vallejo Game Color batch. Some of the colors don't seem to want to play well with becoming a shade or glaze. If I add a single brush load of water, the pigment in the paint begins to almost dissolve?

Here's how it looks:

I tested some old Citadel paints (base and layer) and they don't have the issue, no matter how much water I add:

The split pigment effects the model when it dries. It kind of looks like little dots all over where I applied it.

I've tried mixing with steel balls, but that doesn't seem to help. I know you can use a medium instead of water, but should I have to? I rarely see anyone use mediums when glazing or watering down the paint, and again, the Citadel paints (4 years old at this point) don't do that.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Well, the theory is there, but I shouldn't have bought boar-hair stenciling brushes. They had some plastic ones that look a lot more forgiving.

I think you need to thin the paint more; it still looks like it was dry brushed rather than stippled. The white paint probably doesn't help either. A slight off-white like a bone or grey might be easier worth trying.

Contrast marines tests. Really wish I hadn't glued them to their bases, it makes basing them a pain in the rear end.

Progress on the blight hauler. I cleaned up the stippling a bit to make it less pronounced and have highlights instead of purely mottled, and I'm trying to create a focal point near the eye. The verdigris and rust are works in progress. Not sure whether to go for an eye of Sauron type-look or more like an animal eye.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Some Ulthwe Eldar Falcons. Next up are about five Wave Serpents that I'm rehabilitating.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My kingdom for a video guide explaining how to paint chaos gold trim like the gw studio does. I’ve had it explained to me, I’ve seen pictures but I just can’t get it right.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
First you’ll need a Gom Jabar.

If you can’t make your own, store bought is fine.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
what if all i have is a syringe full of drain cleaner, will that suffice

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Not sure whether to go for an eye of Sauron type-look or more like an animal eye.

personally i find just a regular human eye draws focus very well while being disconcerting

I really like what you have done with this blightcrawler btw

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 22, 2024

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
A Q-tip and some folded corners of paper towels dipped in 91% isopropyl seem to have done the trick quite well. My Felarch's eye lens is clean and ready for a do-over. It wasn't laser-precise of course but I don't foresee any difficulty simply repainting the faceplate where the scrubbing strayed. I think even 70% iso like in a common alcohol wipe would have done it.

I'm happy enough with this I'm gonna try it on a Sister's eye that beaded up a little.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 22, 2024

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Some Ulthwe Eldar Falcons. Next up are about five Wave Serpents that I'm rehabilitating.

These are crisp as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Does anyone have a good method for doing rusted/weathered painted metal? I'm getting the appropriate look on the bare metal parts of my Necromunda terrain with a mix of the typhus/ryza method and pigment powders, but once in-universe paint is involved I'm pretty lost. I'd rather not gently caress around with chipping medium unless there's really no other way.