Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Murray Mantoinette posted:

The Atreides soldiers were trained by Duncan and Gurney so any seasoned Atreides vet is going to be very capable. I think the Baron was impressed not by the fighting but by Feyd putting himself in real danger for that ploy of his to use an undrugged gladiator on purpose and make it look accidental.

Also in the book the gladiator gets a barbed lance in his arm from one of the Harkonnen rodeo clowns but he ends up using it as a defense, blocking Feyd's knife with it, which makes Feyd seem a bit more stupid.

In the book, it's actually more touch and go from what I remember but also in the book he has a few more tricks up his sleeve than shown in the movie (hypnotic code word, secretly switching the poisoned and clean blades). So overall I think it about evens out in the book vs movie?
I think it also makes a difference that Feyd Rautha is 19 while Austin Butler is 30ish. Having a teen kill seasoned veterans is more impressive.

And yeah also agreeing that the film handled the marriage thing unconvincingly.

He has to marry her to get the other houses in line but they don't seem too impressed so cancel that marriage and go after ya girl.

niethan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is loving wild. Villeneuve breaks down the "Paul rides a worm for the first time" scene. There were an absurd number of practical effects in that scene. Check it out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E6AcXUKSVA

tl;dw The shot where Paul runs along the ridge, and it collapses under him? 100% practical effect, they had trucks pulling out big cylinders to undermine the giant sand dune that they had built so they could get the daylight right. Villeneuve is a madman, but every dollar and every ounce of effort is on the screen.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mllaneza posted:

tl;dw The shot where Paul runs along the ridge, and it collapses under him? 100% practical effect, they had trucks pulling out big cylinders to undermine the giant sand dune that they had built so they could get the daylight right. Villeneuve is a madman, but every dollar and every ounce of effort is on the screen.

So what did they use like, a giant grain elevator to rebuild the dune every time they hosed up the shot until they got it right?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

mllaneza posted:

They never said "jihad", but Paul was referred to as "mahdi" several times. That's good enough for me, even if it is a slightly obscure bit of history. It does feature a British Imperial army getting completely dunced on though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdist_War

Of course they dunced back, harder:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Omdurman

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fuschia tude posted:

So what did they use like, a giant grain elevator to rebuild the dune every time they hosed up the shot until they got it right?

There's lots of practical effects you get one shot at. Iirc the breaching of Helms Deep was accomplished by waiting until they'd done all the filming they needed on the miniature and then literally blowing it up

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

mllaneza posted:

This is loving wild. Villeneuve breaks down the "Paul rides a worm for the first time" scene. There were an absurd number of practical effects in that scene. Check it out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E6AcXUKSVA

frenchie's signature even looks like ⊃∪∩⊂

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
s/paul/leto ii/g, i think

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

i'll be dead in the cold hard ground before i take ethical framework lessons from a dickless worm

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

i'll be dead in the cold hard ground before i take ethical framework lessons from a dickless worm

He came close to gluing on a paper mache penis, would that have given him more credence for you?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

...go on.......

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

god-emperor of dune posted:

Idaho darted a quick glance along Leto's supine length.
They always look for genitalia, Leto thought. Perhaps I should have something made, a gross protuberance to shock them. He choked back the small burst of amusement which threatened to erupt from his throat. Another emotion amplified. Thank you, Hwi. Thank you, lxians.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

News of the Leto II's death reaches Ix, and the master dongsmiths there weep in despair for they were just about to ship the God-Emperor a suitable strap-on for his majestic size, with a forbidden vibro-machine inside.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Do you think it would flop around like a sandworm or glue itself to things like a sandtrout?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mentat Analysis: Am vibrating at dangerous oscillation speed

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You do not withhold Hitachi attachments from a mentat.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
The Lisan Al-Gorithm recommended this to me, and I've never heard it before. An interview from 1969 done between Frank Herbert and Willis McNelly. It's pretty fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-mLVVJkH7I

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lisan al-kwarizm, since 'algorithm' is etymologically from arabic anyways

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Yeah it ruled.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lisan al-kwarizm, since 'algorithm' is etymologically from arabic anyways

:10bux: well spent, I learn so much here.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

What is to be DONE? About this Paul Atreides???

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

What is to be DONE? About this Paul Atreides???

More cowbell.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I liked the idea the Emperor is just a tired old man at the end of the day who doesn't have it in him to oppose Paul, and Walken got that across well, but I can see why people might have preferred his more hardass portrayal in the book.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Bubblyblubber fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 19, 2024

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
One thing always irked me was why Fenrig, who's supposed to be a blademaster, refused to shank Paul because, iirc, "homie is a plaything of BG like me, imma let him off the hook" or something

Like, you'd think he'd be up to kill Paul but I guess at that point if you kill Paul, Fremen would tore you into ribbons so better to be in exile than getting his buttcheeks stretched as a rug

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Galewolf posted:

One thing always irked me was why Fenrig, who's supposed to be a blademaster, refused to shank Paul because, iirc, "homie is a plaything of BG like me, imma let him off the hook" or something

Like, you'd think he'd be up to kill Paul but I guess at that point if you kill Paul, Fremen would tore you into ribbons so better to be in exile than getting his buttcheeks stretched as a rug
He's a genetic eunuch, meaning Bene Gesserit never exposed him to the ways they must've planned to create the Kwizats Hadarach, because it wouldn't have furthered the line if he'd failed.
However, it's likely that he had some prescient abilities - and even if he didn't, the plans for creating a Kwizats Hadarach seems to include mentat training (based on Pauls own training as a mentat), so that might be another reason he arrived at that conclusion.

The book also has Paul musing about how he felt some kinship with Fenring.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

finally I'm at a theatre playing the 1.43 version. the screen is 4 stories tall. I might die from sound poisoning

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I've been listening to the Dune audiobook (the one with more voice actors) and...

1. I'm glad Count Fenring wasn't in the films. His speech pattern is so hilariously comedic. Mmmmramramram blahblah. Yea Vladimir inner monologues how he's actually a dangerous badass but still. I am curious how his speech actually written in the book.
2. I'm glad Paul's servant/wife from duel isn't featured in the film either :barf: Someone might try and say not to apply our morals to an imaginary society and its their custom and I'd disagree but wouldn't care to argue back but holy poo poo it would be uncomfortable on film.
3. Jessica seems more...subservient in the book, it feels like he's at least slightly more proactive/stern in the two newer films?
4. Less homophobia. Yeah, I know the thing about Herbert's other son.
5. Paul goes full arrogance mode in the book right off the bat thanks to his precognition ability and it's super off-putting. I guess that might be the intention though?

edit: Oh, I thought Vladimir Harkonnen's voice in the book was surprisingly good and I wondered why. Then I realized it's partly because of the voice filtering, which I realized sounds a little like Darth Vader. Fat Darth Vader. Oh well, it's still good

...Though maybe the multi-actor one is actually the bad version apparently because it's a retrofitted abridged version with inconsistency when voice actors are used?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 20, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another question for more well-read dunebros: To what extent is Jessica's Harkonnen heritage known? It's a pretty big revelation to Paul in the new film, but in pt 1 the Baron calls (a very paralyzed) Leto "cousin" and it got me thinking about who actually knew Jessica was Harkonnen. And the implications of this, how many threads of bloodline manipulation were the BG pulling there? Weren't they trying to have Jessica's (female) heir marry Feyd? Hapsburg vibes.

Also, what was the throat-singing subtitled line that opened pt 2 again? It might have been a riff on "he who can destroy a thing has absolute power over that thing" but I don't think so. All I know is that when it hit in the theatre, I let out a quiet "LET'S GOOO"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
atreides and harkonnen are known to both parties to be like, cousins 100 times removed, in tradition of medieval feud

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Another question for more well-read dunebros: To what extent is Jessica's Harkonnen heritage known? It's a pretty big revelation to Paul in the new film, but in pt 1 the Baron calls (a very paralyzed) Leto "cousin" and it got me thinking about who actually knew Jessica was Harkonnen.

Well a guy dating your daughter doesn't make you two cousins, I assume it was a really old lineage.

As per who knows, I don't recall exactly in the books but it doesn't really show up to my memory until it comes roaring back that the Baron's memory is possessing Alia.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I hadn't really thought about it but "Your concubine is dead" is a weird flex given the revelation in the second film that the Baron knew that was his daughter.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The "cousin" thing in the book almost looks like a formal kind of address between nobles- there's a scene where the baron notes that a letter from Leto is adressed "HARKONNEN", not even "sire et cher cousin." Jessica's H. ancestry seems to be a BG secret, leading to the wonderful throne room scene where Gurney tries to rein in Paul and Jessica basically says, don’t bother, he's like his grandfather in this mood. To Gurney this means the infamous Atreides bullfighter, but for Jessica herself there's a bit more going on...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Another question for more well-read dunebros: To what extent is Jessica's Harkonnen heritage known? It's a pretty big revelation to Paul in the new film, but in pt 1 the Baron calls (a very paralyzed) Leto "cousin" and it got me thinking about who actually knew Jessica was Harkonnen. And the implications of this, how many threads of bloodline manipulation were the BG pulling there? Weren't they trying to have Jessica's (female) heir marry Feyd? Hapsburg vibes.

Also, what was the throat-singing subtitled line that opened pt 2 again? It might have been a riff on "he who can destroy a thing has absolute power over that thing" but I don't think so. All I know is that when it hit in the theatre, I let out a quiet "LET'S GOOO"

It was a secret to everyone but the BG breeding masters. Not even Jessica knew. Paul discovered it via his power and demanded Jessica realize it. Nobody else knew it except Alia, though by the end the Reverend Mother realizes the secret is out.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It's well documented that too much crossing of incest genetics will invariable lead to one kid becoming a gigantic, immortal worm.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The revelation of Jessica's parentage also comes much earlier in the book. It's when Paul's having his first real prescient flashes even before the Water of Life, when they're in the tent together after escaping the Harkonnen attack, if I recall. Exposure to the spice, Paul's mentat training, and a bunch of other things suddenly snap together in the stress of the moment and he just knows. The movie frames it as like this final weird thing for Paul to acknowledge as he comes out of the Water coma and embraces being the Mahdi and Kwisatz Haderach, when he says something about acting like a Harkonnen. In the book it's framed instead as a harsh salvo against the breeding program because the Bene Gesserit are inbreeding humans like dogs to get the traits they desire.

Dessel posted:

1. I'm glad Count Fenring wasn't in the films. His speech pattern is so hilariously comedic. Mmmmramramram blahblah. Yea Vladimir inner monologues how he's actually a dangerous badass but still. I am curious how his speech actually written in the book.

Pretty much how you're imagining. Digging into my copy for an example:

quote:

"Um-m-m-m-ah-hm-m-m-m," said the Count. He studied Feyd-Rautha. "The, hm-m-m-m, precise young man, ah, my... hm-m-m-m... dear?" The Count glanced at the Baron. "My dear Baron, you say you've spoken of us to this precise young man? What did you say?"

Even Feyd reflects on how annoying it sounds.

quote:

Listening to the man gave Feyd-Rautha the feeling his head was being pushed through mush... um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mohiam flat out states that they keep the lineage secret so that no one will balk at incest, among other reasons.