Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

insane anime posted:

i like them too :)
i used to watch them in the theater with my dad growing up and it was one of the few bonding things we did. then I got older and transgender and jk rowling decided to be more openly a freak on main. now it is a bittersweet memory

I'm really glad Daniel Radcliffe is living his best life though. he wrote a really sweet open letter speaking out against jk's rhetoric a few years ago. very sincere and kind. it made me cry

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/blog/daniel-radcliffe-responds-to-j-k-rowlings-tweets-on-gender-identity/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tiny Myers posted:

i used to watch them in the theater with my dad growing up and it was one of the few bonding things we did. then I got older and transgender and jk rowling decided to be more openly a freak on main. now it is a bittersweet memory

I'm really glad Daniel Radcliffe is living his best life though. he wrote a really sweet open letter speaking out against jk's rhetoric a few years ago. very sincere and kind. it made me cry

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/blog/daniel-radcliffe-responds-to-j-k-rowlings-tweets-on-gender-identity/

hmmm i dont know anything about that, but im happy you have some pleasent memories with the old man :cheers: watched them all (except the one where hermoine is naked) with the wife and kids last year to keep the tradition alive + went to universal

e; i think you can separate that stuff, i like the who and all those old rock bands even though theyre all pedophiles

e2: if you cant seperate art from the artists or whatever the hell the saying is there really wouldnt be anything left to enjoy except Infinite Jest and The Bible

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I did not read the same books as my juvenile peers at age 8, instead I perused true literature such as the works of Herman Melville and Robert Louis Stevenson. Often my classmates would attempt to talk to me of such things as Hermione Granger or Gringotts Bank, I made it clear how sophomoric I found their prattling to be. I finally picked up the first book the other week at age 35, and I must say I found the prose rather lacking.

iw as playing video games instead of doing gay poo poo like reading books

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

insane anime posted:

hmmm i dont know anything about that, but im happy you have some pleasent memories with the old man :cheers: watched them all (except the one where hermoine is naked) with the wife and kids last year to keep the tradition alive + went to universal

e; i think you can separate that stuff, i like the who and all those old rock bands even though theyre all pedophiles

e2: if you cant seperate art from the artists or whatever the hell the saying is there really wouldnt be anything left to enjoy except Infinite Jest and The Bible

The Who ftw.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

insane anime posted:

yeah like I love mindless self indulgence even if the lead singer is and has always been a tool who thinks the n word is funny and maybe a sex pest. it's a band whose music meant a lot to me growing up and still does and I can't ignore that (sorry if thats cringe to the viewers). but jk rowling is so loudly transphobic to a huge audience to the point that she's influenced actual legislation and lobbying against trans people though which I can't say for jimmy urine so it makes it harder for me to enjoy

it's all a matter of personal and often irrational boundaries at the end of the day. like I'm just now starting to leave Twitter, typing this on a phone with a cobalt battery, whatever. I'm not the kind of person who is going to yell at people for enjoying harry potter or wearing a Slytherin scarf. but when I look at the series now it makes me a lil sad

genuinely really happy you were able to share it with your kids though. i don't remember Hermione getting naked. was that a thing. that seems like it shouldnt be a thing

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

My wife says if our son hates Harry Potter it'll be my fault because I don't like it. She somehow didn't break up with me when we were dating and I spoiled snape/dumbledore but if this kid doesn't wear the sorting hat right she just might.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tiny Myers posted:

yeah like I love mindless self indulgence even if the lead singer is and has always been a tool who thinks the n word is funny and maybe a sex pest. it's a band whose music meant a lot to me growing up and still does and I can't ignore that (sorry if thats cringe to the viewers). but jk rowling is so loudly transphobic to a huge audience to the point that she's influenced actual legislation and lobbying against trans people though which I can't say for jimmy urine so it makes it harder for me to enjoy

it's all a matter of personal and often irrational boundaries at the end of the day. like I'm just now starting to leave Twitter, typing this on a phone with a cobalt battery, whatever. I'm not the kind of person who is going to yell at people for enjoying harry potter or wearing a Slytherin scarf. but when I look at the series now it makes me a lil sad

genuinely really happy you were able to share it with your kids though. i don't remember Hermione getting naked. was that a thing. that seems like it shouldnt be a thing

ron is getting extremely paranoid and has hallucinations of harry and hermoine knocking the wizard booties

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

insane anime posted:

ron is getting extremely paranoid and has hallucinations of harry and hermoine knocking the wizard booties

oh no. oh god. i remember that vaguely

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tiny Myers posted:

oh no. oh god. i remember that vaguely

its not really that graphic and does add to the story; i just dont want to have to explain that yet

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
dear JK rowling, are there any YOSPOS wizards?

Donald Pentium, hufflepuff

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I watched the first Harry Potter movie with my dad and my major memory of it is his talking about how Ravenclaw was the house with the most badass name, hence the best house. He was right

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
most writers could only dream of coming up with a name as badass as donald pentium

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Half of Dracula posted:

Of course. Installation wizards! :dadjoke:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Half of Dracula posted:

Jeffrey Ramshagger, Slytherin

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

trying to put the sorting hat on jeffrey's sleepy body and giving up sorting him into the hitler house

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lobster shirt posted:

i forget how i came across it but the bit about harry being the last horcrux was spoiled for me and i was like "no way, that would be so stupid" but then it turns out that was indeed what happened.

My Immortal predicted it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

in the meantime the children's book series with the funny covers of children turning into animals was about how war is in fact loving awful especially for children conscripted into it growing up with only ptsd or death to look forward to and that the potential lesson they only learnt is war makes people suffer and there's no moral

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

in the meantime the children's book series with the funny covers of children turning into animals was about how war is in fact loving awful especially for children conscripted into it growing up with only ptsd or death to look forward to and that the potential lesson they only learnt is war makes people suffer and there's no moral

I also was a Goosebumps kid

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The moral is that being a hawk kicks rear end

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

every goosebump book where the protag (esp if it's one of those CYOA) ends up being a monstrous freak and loving it ftw

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
lol that the British wizards get weird exotic names like albus and severus etc but the second you cross the border here comes Baguette Depardieu

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

every goosebump book where the protag (esp if it's one of those CYOA) ends up being a monstrous freak and loving it ftw

I liked the one where you get to be a bat

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

lol that the British wizards get weird exotic names like albus and severus etc but the second you cross the border here comes Baguette Depardieu

American Wizard Johnny Applepie and his wand has a core of pure crude oil

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
who was it that tried building the jungle yoga retreat? i heard it was the same dude who also ran the living with style forums featured in that one weekend web? TheGunOwner.

if so he ended up turning that website into an SEO training school before selling it for several hundred thousand dollars and retiring with his hot yoga wife.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That wouldn't surprise me

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the moral of the story is that tobias was a little bitch and maybe he deserved to be a hawk because he did it on purpose

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
any of yall read Hatchet

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

when I read, I only read one thing: The Something Awful Forums

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Al! posted:

any of yall read Hatchet

Yeah I loved it in 6th grade. Enough that I read the sequels for Accelerated Reader points

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Al! posted:

any of yall read Hatchet

i read all of those books

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there are two timelines in hatchet one where he was rescued before the winter season and one where he wasnt

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are two timelines in hatchet one where he was rescued before the winter season and one where he wasnt

yeah gary paulsons a pimp

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
my favorite one was where he was on a raft, called the river i think

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there is a secret third timeline that ties into the slasher movie hatchet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there is a secret third timeline that ties into the slasher movie hatchet

hatchet 101% completion

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Al! posted:

any of yall read Hatchet

Loved that book as a kid, and also a very similar book except on an alien planet called The Transall Saga or something like that.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
hatchet had sequels?

I know the guy also wrote a book that was survival but ON AN ALIEN WORLD because the kid got teleported

e: yeah it was transall

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the trans all saga

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

the woke transall agenda making its way into our childrens books......... thank god jk rowling is here to combat such degeneracy with messages such as "slavery is good" and "abusers are cool as long as they're really sad about your mom friendzoning them 30 years ago because they was racist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Leraika posted:

hatchet had sequels?

I know the guy also wrote a book that was survival but ON AN ALIEN WORLD because the kid got teleported

e: yeah it was transall

lmao I forgot it was the same author

book was good though