Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

This story had a happy ending! Poland had the nazi extradited.

According to the Wikipedia Poland said they’re taking steps towards requesting extradition, it hasn’t happened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fwiw there was much public outcry in Canada, so, it does show that most people are not super into nazis, which is cool (imo)

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Hundreds of Beavers is the movie of the decade. Nonstop slapstick action comedy. Incredible stuff, if you have a kid, absolutely watch it with them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Curvature. This is another “great premise, bad execution” movie.

A lady finds out that her future self has traveled back in time to the present, and also purchased a sniper rifle and a pressure cooker. So now she has to figure out what she will has will have decided to do and stop it. Pretty cool. Unfortunately the movie isn’t clever enough to really do anything with it. It doesn’t even have fun with the idea at all. There’s only one scene in the entire movie where the hero has to try to get information about her future self without giving away that there’s two of her running around, and it’s short and not funny and doesn’t have any tension. The lead character is also very dull, which is a real killer. So the movie is mainly just boring.

They call it Curvature because when you see it you curve 360 degrees around and walk away!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Wikipedia page is two sentences so I can't even find out what she was doing!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

The Wikipedia page is two sentences so I can't even find out what she was doing!

It turns out her late husband's suspicious business partner killed her husband so he could have the time travel machine all to himself and sell it to the CIA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Future her's plan was to make it look like past her knew about her dead husband's murder, so the evil guy would take her in to his business place to try to find out what she knew. And then future her would sneak in because nobody would be looking for her because past her was already in custody.

I'm gonna set aside the part where the plan requires literally every security guard in the building to be looking at current her so future her can sneak behind them like they're MGS1 guards and have a very narrow cone of vision. So really she didn't need a clever plan at all she could've just thrown a rock and snuck past them exactly the same. That's fine.

But current her has been saying "Guys, I think myself from the future has traveled back into the now to do something bad". And nobody believes her. Including the man who knows about the time machine and knows what would make future her want to kill somebody. And the reason he gives for not believing that this woman who, and I really can't stress this enough, is the wife of a man who invented a time machine, couldn't possibly have traveled back in time is "my security is too good. There's no way you could've gotten into that room. And right now in the present I know you haven't, therefore you never had a chance to travel back in time, so you didn't. Case closed"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I feel like if I was in that situation I wouldn't immediately start trying to stop my future self. He's just me, ya know? Not some murderous psychopath. I'd give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume until proven otherwise that me probably has a legit, rational reason. I mean I'd try to find out what that reason was, but ultimately I trust me and I'd probably try and help.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gripweed posted:

Future her's plan was to make it look like past her knew about her dead husband's murder, so the evil guy would take her in to his business place to try to find out what she knew. And then future her would sneak in because nobody would be looking for her because past her was already in custody.

I'm gonna set aside the part where the plan requires literally every security guard in the building to be looking at current her so future her can sneak behind them like they're MGS1 guards and have a very narrow cone of vision. So really she didn't need a clever plan at all she could've just thrown a rock and snuck past them exactly the same. That's fine.

But current her has been saying "Guys, I think myself from the future has traveled back into the now to do something bad". And nobody believes her. Including the man who knows about the time machine and knows what would make future her want to kill somebody. And the reason he gives for not believing that this woman who, and I really can't stress this enough, is the wife of a man who invented a time machine, couldn't possibly have traveled back in time is "my security is too good. There's no way you could've gotten into that room. And right now in the present I know you haven't, therefore you never had a chance to travel back in time, so you didn't. Case closed"

my eyes glazed over, have a nice day

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

They call it Curvature because when you see it you curve 360 degrees around and walk away!

hmmm

So you're saying it's good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

I watched Curvature. This is another “great premise, bad execution” movie.

A lady finds out that her future self has traveled back in time to the present, and also purchased a sniper rifle and a pressure cooker. So now she has to figure out what she will has will have decided to do and stop it. Pretty cool. Unfortunately the movie isn’t clever enough to really do anything with it. It doesn’t even have fun with the idea at all. There’s only one scene in the entire movie where the hero has to try to get information about her future self without giving away that there’s two of her running around, and it’s short and not funny and doesn’t have any tension. The lead character is also very dull, which is a real killer. So the movie is mainly just boring.

There’s no tension there! She’s obviously going to hunt something and then, being short on time, cook it in the pressure cooker.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The Neverending Story’ Getting New Film Series Adaptation From ‘Slow Horses’ Banner See-Saw

I did not see this coming. Maybe they'll get Bastian's story right this time.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Gripweed posted:

According to the Wikipedia Poland said they’re taking steps towards requesting extradition, it hasn’t happened yet.

That'll never happen. Western Canada farmland got all bought up by Ukranian expats after the war and there's a loving crazy amount of statues all over the country to the volunteer SS guys from that era

They're deeply intertwined same way German south America is. It's weird as hell

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 20, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Peccadillo posted:

That'll never happen. Western Canada farmland got all bought up by Ukranian expats after the war and there's a loving crazy amount of statues all over the country to the volunteer SS guys from that era

They're deeply intertwined same way German south America is. It's weird as hell

It was a very deliberate process. Basically Operation Paperclip but specifically for SS and concentration camp guards to keep other Ukranian refugees from earlier from giving people the idea that better things were possible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Americans somehow let me into their country and I am now riding on one of their trains.

Oh brave new world that has such vehicles in it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Americans somehow let me into their country and I am now riding on one of their trains.

Sorry about the MBTA.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought it was fine! No worse than Denver’s light rail.

I enjoyed the grimy texture of the stations though. P dope.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well you’re here you have to try some American food.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Well you’re here you have to try some American food.

This is true, if nothing else you owe it to yourself to get a decent pizza.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was a very deliberate process. Basically Operation Paperclip but specifically for SS and concentration camp guards to keep other Ukranian refugees from earlier from giving people the idea that better things were possible.

I'm told they did at least change the dedications of the statues to terms like "The 2nd Division 1rst Ukrainian Home Army" from the official terms like "4th Division Waffen SS 2nd Volunteer Auxiliary Army". But they're still dedicated to the same people.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 20, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Sorry about the MBTA.

I love it.

Both the sub- and surface dweller varieties of train.

Bus is also decent.

Subway is wonderfully rattly. Last time I was in Stockholm I brought my sound recorder to record the sounds of the old blue rattly trains but sadly they seem to have been phased out for newer less noisy carriages .

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Boston public transit is solid because driving there just sucks. There's so many tunnels and angry new englanders. Also parking is insanely expensive.

Get a cannoli also, assuming you don't in Iceland.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The MBTA is good in theory but as someone who has lived in the greater Boston area for a little over 15 years now, it has absolutely never been worse in that time than it has in the last twelve months or so.

That said, i'd rather have it than not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love it.

Both the sub- and surface dweller varieties of train.

Bus is also decent.

Subway is wonderfully rattly. Last time I was in Stockholm I brought my sound recorder to record the sounds of the old blue rattly trains but sadly they seem to have been phased out for newer less noisy carriages .

See you get it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

According to IMDB, They Came From Beyond Space was Anwar Sadat’s favorite movie. I tried to look up the source of that but all I found was stuff referencing the IMDB claim.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tried a pizza. It was pretty good. Not very different to any previously tried pizza though.

Will try the Cannolii and the chowder in the coming days.

Walked the entire Freedom Trail. Saw a bunch of cool weathered gravestones some of them perched upon the graves of famous skeletal remains. One burial ground was swarming with squirrels.

Also climbed an obelisk commemorating losing a battle and walked around an 18th century ship (possibly Theseus-y)

Got in around 30k steps.

Saw immaculate and it's wonderful Euro-Horror* schlock.

Waiting for the Hong Kong movie where they endangered a small child for a stunt.

*Actually American.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tried a pizza. It was pretty good. Not very different to any previously tried pizza though.

Will try the Cannolii and the chowder in the coming days.

Walked the entire Freedom Trail. Saw a bunch of cool weathered gravestones some of them perched upon the graves of famous skeletal remains. One burial ground was swarming with squirrels.

Also climbed an obelisk commemorating losing a battle and walked around an 18th century ship (possibly Theseus-y)

Got in around 30k steps.

Saw immaculate and it's wonderful Euro-Horror* schlock.

Waiting for the Hong Kong movie where they endangered a small child for a stunt.

*Actually American.

Obligatory chowder clip

https://youtu.be/2-bbYH_akHg?si=FOptiCEXHDP8oYOZ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Watched a preview screening of Kneecap (2024) . A very fun story about a trio of drug-loving Northern Irish lowlifes finding their way to become a successful rap group rapping in Irish. Fairly heavily dramatised but hits a lot of the key points from their real life story. Michael Fassbender playing one of their fathers who's a fugitive former Republican paramilitary (essentially reprising his role as Bobby Sands from Hunger ).

It maybe threw a couple too many plot-beats into the blender, but overall it was an extremely fun movie that handled tonal shifts well and doesn't compromise on its political sensibilities despite being occasionally goofy. An anti-colonialist love story to the Irish language. For people who enjoyed Sing Street, Good Vibrations, Derry Girls (?).

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wow, I didn’t know they were making a movie about em! That rocks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, I didn’t know they were making a movie about em! That rocks.

Apparently it went down well at Sundance, which is kinda crazy to me because it seems to require some fundamentals of NI knowledge. But it does provide some context, and since Derry Girls was so popular internationally I guess anything is possible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
DERRY GIRLS is so good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought it was really lame. Where was pennywise?????

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He got lost on the way there and ended up in Maine.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I thought it was really lame. Where was pennywise?????

He assumed the form of Ian Paisley to terrify NI

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Saw Dune part 2 again yesterday. 1:43 laser IMAX this time. Honestly I still prefer the Alamo experience. IMAX screening was deafeningly loud. Like.. not "fun and immersive" loud. But I had to literally cover my ears at times. Pretty sure screenings aren't supposed to be that loud.

Anyway goddamn that movie is good. And the score. I'm not like a score afficianado or anything but Zimmer's love theme ("a time of quiet between the storms") is gonna be regarded as an all timer. It's reprise at the end is astounding.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

BonoMan posted:

Saw Dune part 2 again yesterday. 1:43 laser IMAX this time. Honestly I still prefer the Alamo experience. IMAX screening was deafeningly loud. Like.. not "fun and immersive" loud. But I had to literally cover my ears at times. Pretty sure screenings aren't supposed to be that loud.
I did a double bill on sunday and the sound in dune 2 in imax gave me a splitting headache and the film I chose to follow it up with was friggin end of eva so that was real fun

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

These days whenever I see something in IMAX I bring earplugs with me just in case. It's wild since I rewatched the first movie in IMAX when they rereleased it last month and it wasn't nearly as loud as Dune 2 was in IMAX.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't know if anything has felt as loud to me as John Wick 4 did in DVis.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BonoMan posted:

1:43 laser IMAX

Can't believe people watch films in portrait now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

*Actually American.

Listen. I held off on replying to this because I didn’t want to be a prick but I cannot help myself.

You need to eat a Regina’s slice. It doesn’t have to be from the original spot. The takeout counter at South Station will do.

There’s a lot of trap pizza out there, but Boston has slices that rival New York.